RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cappie calls it quits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRballer

PostPosted: 04/16/19 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Leaving Pondexter out of the HOF would be problematic. Her numbers and accomplishments are well ahead of many likely candidates and even some that are already inducted. It's tough to make a case that Becky Hammon, for example, had a better career than Pondexter. Somebody like Alana Beard isn't even in the ballpark.

Alana Beard is in the ballpark if Hammon is! Sorry.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 04/16/19 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Cappie played for five teams. I think she only left New York on good terms.

HA! I can tell you that trade was not in good terms I can dig old threads but don't wanna rehash too much...but that 2014 year where her and Charles couldn't mesh weighed in everyone

PostPosted: 04/16/19 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Cappie played for five teams. I think she only left New York on good terms.

HA! I can tell you that trade was not in good terms I can dig old threads but don't wanna rehash too much...but that 2014 year where her and Charles couldn't mesh weighed in everyone

Diggem happie! I love reading old W conspiracies from my teenage days Very Happy

PostPosted: 04/16/19 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:

Hall of fame numbers? Yep

Hall of fame person...nope

Agreed.

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 04/17/19 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Phoenix fans would have loved Cappie to the end for what she did her few years with the organization. Even with the request for a trade to pursue her fashion dreams. But on her first game back she almost took Penny Taylor's head off. Several bridges were burned with that action. I think she was booted out of the first 2 games back to Phoenix. She never received a warm welcome after that.

But her ability to drive to the basket and take over a game at the end has never been rivaled, IMO. It was really fun to watch.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/19 5:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
pilight wrote:
Leaving Pondexter out of the HOF would be problematic. Her numbers and accomplishments are well ahead of many likely candidates and even some that are already inducted. It's tough to make a case that Becky Hammon, for example, had a better career than Pondexter. Somebody like Alana Beard isn't even in the ballpark.

Neither of them really is.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/17/19 6:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Wow the nastiness is unbelievable . She still gave us all exciting basketball to watch regardless of her off the court demeanor / opinions. This thread is to praise her career as a player not a person . No need to call her B words and diminish her career based off personal outlooks .

Her bs regarding Ajac**t's bs was very much ON the court.

So long, cRappie.

Last edited by cthskzfn on 04/17/19 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/17/19 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember seeing her in high school -- great player, no question.

But being a great player doesn't necessarily translate into being a good person.

So ...

Should Pondexter's off-court issues have any bearing on her potential HOF plaque?

The extreme example of this is Michael Jackson: Is his music devalued because of his abhorrent behavior, or is "Thriller" still a great song? And what if we didn't know about Jackson's behavior?

Or take Barry Bonds. He certainly was a jerk during his career, as well as using steroids, etc., but does his being a jerk mean he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame?

But maybe Tris Speaker (old-time baseball player) was a horrible person, and we just don't know. If we found out, should he be kicked out of the HOF?

PostPosted: 04/17/19 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cappie insulting people in the media who slighted her in the past and saying certain countries got what they "deserved" for what they did to America is pretty comparable to what the current President of the United States does on a daily/weekly basis and some people think he was sent from the heavens to do the Lord's will. I guess this is moving to Area 51 territory.

It's evident Rutgers being a thorn in the side of UConn during the mid to late 2000s and their 2007 Sweet 16 upset of Duke still lingers to this very day.

ChasingRatDogmaSalade

PostPosted: 04/17/19 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I admittedly have no clue what the bar is for a WNBA player being inducted into the hall of fame, but I think you can make a case for Hammon being better than Pondexter.

While Hammon never had a year as good as Pondexter's 2010 season, she aged better as a player, and finished with better shooting percentages across the board.

It is a bit of a peak vs longevity argument.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/19 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
I admittedly have no clue what the bar is for a WNBA player being inducted into the hall of fame, but I think you can make a case for Hammon being better than Pondexter.

While Hammon never had a year as good as Pondexter's 2010 season, she aged better as a player, and finished with better shooting percentages across the board.

It is a bit of a peak vs longevity argument.

Hammon may have aged better, but Pondexter still scored nearly 1000 more points despite playing fewer games. Pondexter's got two rings, and was Finals MVP for one of them, while Hammon has none. Pondexter won an Olympic Gold Medal, Hammon never got a sniff from USA Basketball. Pondexter was First Team All WNBA more times than Hammon and an All Star more times than Hammon. Pondexter was All Defense once, Hammon never was. Pondexter won POW almost twice as many times as Hammon and won POM twice to Hammon's zero. Pondexter was also far more successful overseas than Hammon was.

It's not that close.

PostPosted: 04/17/19 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PRballer wrote:
pilight wrote:

Wait you’re talking Naismith? Or Knoxville?

Chip

PostPosted: 04/17/19 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

CO-SIGN

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/17/19 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Pondexter was All Defense once

Laughing I still don't understand how the hell that happened.

PostPosted: 04/17/19 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I won't say anything about Cappie as a person, but at her peak she was a fun to watch as anyone in the league. Those first few years in New York she was as good as anyone.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/19 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
pilight wrote:
PRballer wrote:
pilight wrote:

Wait you’re talking Naismith? Or Knoxville?

Knoxville

None of them are Naismith candidates unless Hammon becomes an NBA head coach.

PostPosted: 04/17/19 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like her or not, she has put up HOF numbers. That cant be denied. They set the bar pretty low by letting Lobo in, so Cap should get in as well. She may be a dick of a person, agreed. However, she was a great player and a champion. Hammon never won anything yet I'm sure she will get in.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 04/17/19 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All of the crappy people/players are finally getting shown the door. Good riddance SOPHIA, MO CURRIE (the fat shamer and locker room diva), CAPPIE, and CANDICE to name a few. Show me Kelsey Bone's retirement post and I'll be taking a vacation to an international beach to celebrate. Parker is almost at this level as well...these women really delve into the whole women being drama stereotype!!

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/17/19 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
Like her or not, she has put up HOF numbers. That cant be denied. They set the bar pretty low by letting Lobo in, so Cap should get in as well. She may be a dick of a person, agreed. However, she was a great player and a champion. Hammon never won anything yet I'm sure she will get in.

Lobo's in the Naismith, not just the Women's Hall in Knoxville.

PostPosted: 04/17/19 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

Lobo's in the Naismith, not just the Women's Hall in Knoxville.

Lobo was inducted to Naismith as a CONTRIBUTOR, not as a player. In some ways I can see Hammon going in the same way -- if she becomes a head coach in NBA. Which is odd on the face of it - getting in b/c of trailblazing in the men's league.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/17/19 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It's not that close.

Nowhere near close, IMO.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/17/19 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well some people are like robots so they can only view things statistically. Clearly Hammon has contributed more to women’s basketball (and maybe basketball in general) than Cappie Pondexter. Of course, maybe both have more to contribute moving forward.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 04/17/19 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Cappie have a future in basketball?? Coaching? Broadcasting? Maybe Rutgers takes her in as an assistant?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/17/19 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Does Cappie have a future in basketball?? Coaching? Broadcasting? Maybe Rutgers takes her in as an assistant?

That would certainly fit with Rutgers history of giving questionable people second and third chances to turn themselves around.

And, riffing off Cth's post, Crappie's behaviors - both in college and the pros - extended ON the court. I'm far from a Geno defender, but I was 100% with him when he verbally called out Ajavon and the exchange with Crappie when she vigorously defended Ajavon's low-life smack talk. And there IS Crappie's attack on Penny ON the court...

~rAf
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/17/19 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Khammon has a better shot at the Alexander Gomelsky Basketball Hall of fame than Cappie does.

Cappie was an excellent player in high school, college, and in her WNBA prime and interesting to watch -- a solid body of basketball work, whatever her personal traits. As a hyperbolic example, you don't have to like Genghis Khan to recognize him as a great military general.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: