RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Maya Moore Gave Up More To Fight For Social Justice...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 06/11/20 2:57 pm    ::: Maya Moore Gave Up More To Fight For Social Justice... Reply Reply with quote

...Than Almost Any Athlete

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/maya-moore-gave-up-more-to-fight-for-social-justice-than-almost-any-athlete/

Genero36

PostPosted: 06/17/20 9:28 am    ::: Re: Maya Moore Gave Up More To Fight For Social Justice... Reply Reply with quote

Maya Moore already paved the way for athletes like Kyrie Irving who are 'willing to give up everything' for social justice reform

Quote:
Four-time WNBA champion Maya Moore has already followed through on Irving's sentiments by taking off the last two seasons to help exonerate a prisoner she believes was wrongly convicted.

If he's serious about devoting his life to social justice causes, Irving could follow the 2014 WNBA MVP's lead in using her platform to exact change.

Quote:
"The dark reality is that there are so many people wrongfully imprisoned," Moore told the Los Angeles Times. "I decided that it was time for me to use my voice and the resources that I had to publicly help Jonathan's cause and draw attention to criminal justice reform."

"I got to know the facts of his case and over the years learned more and more," she added. "When I decided to step away from the game, I knew that would provide me with more time to work on the case."

Quote:
Even though Irons and Moore have yet to achieve their ultimate goal — securing Irons' freedom — it's worth noting that Moore's status and platform have undoubtedly helped further the accused's case. As the Los Angeles Times' LZ Granderson writes, "Had Moore not left the WNBA and brought national attention to the case by getting involved, there is a good chance that Irons' sentence does not get overturned."

Quote:
"I read another statement that Kyrie made saying he's willing to give it up all," Perkins said on "The Jump." "Don't be willing. This ain't the time to be willing. Do it."

"No, Maya Moore, she wasn't willing. She did it," Perkins added. "She walked away from the game of basketball and took this on full time. So, Kyrie, this ain't the time to be talking about, 'Oh I'm willing to do it.' No, if you're gonna make a stance, do it or don't talk about it."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/maya-moore-already-paved-the-way-for-athletes-like-kyrie-irving-who-are-willing-to-give-up-everything-for-social-justice-reform/ar-BB15C1Nt?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=mailsignout

PostPosted: 06/17/20 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kyrie Irving has banked $125M in just salary, plus what he's made in endorsements and Uncle Drew and whatever else. Giving up basketball to work for social justice would not be a hardship for him.

PostPosted: 06/17/20 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't she an Angel of Mercy?

PostPosted: 06/17/20 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:

She's a remarkable woman.

PostPosted: 06/17/20 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
jap wrote:

She's a remarkable woman.

X_______

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: