RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

2020 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bluedevilaztecfan5



Joined: 16 Mar 2010
Posts: 405
Location: San Diego, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Otherwise, I don't see how Laksa would go in the 1st Round based on what she's done (or hasn't done) in the last two years.


I have a question about this. What happened to the view on Laksa? If I remember correctly, last year she was seen as a first round pick before her injury. Is it just concerned that she hasn't healed well?


Mmm right the last two years, 2018 I think FIBA World Cup her FG% was in the low 30s, I think from 3 she was okay in the mid 30s.
2019 and this most recent season for TTT Riga domestic and EuroLeague I think she was shooting 20% from 3.
She was considered a potential first round pick pre injury, she did light it up from 3 in college and has good size for a wing. But her recent shooting hasn’t been great.
I can’t speak to what I’ve seen post college, so that’s based on the basic stats.


Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1035
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I never saw much of [Laksa] in college, but the player I've seen over here a few times just hasn't looked like anything special. I could see taking her somewhere, but first round seems like a reach.


The only thing she did well in college was shoot, and even then, being a career 39% shooter at the non-Power-5 level doesn't impress me. The Storm just traded away someone that had that profile in KML. No, I'd honestly rather just take a chance on healthy American players that probably will end up getting cut anyway rather than a possibly-not-fully-recovered Laksa, even if she were a deferral pick. I'd be straight-up mad if we took her at #11. Mad



_________________
"It's not a game of 'how-to', it's a game of 'when-to'." –Sue Bird, on basketball but probably also life
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 60778
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2020 WNBA Draft Analytics: The PLUM Model

http://www.tothemean.com/2020/04/12/wnba-draft-2020.html

Quote:
The PLUM draft model (named after Kelsey Plum) utilizes machine learning to objectively predict which players will succeed in the WNBA.

The model incorporates advanced statistics derived from college play-by-play data which are not available anywhere else (Bayesian RAPM, "Adjusted" box score stats, rate stats, etc.). These statistics isolate the impact and efficiency of a single player by controlling for playing time, pace, other players on the court (opponents, teammates), etc. The model also uses player characteristics (year in school, height). Lastly, a big improvement this year is the addition of the espnW 100 HoopGurlz high school recruiting rankings.


Liberty fans may find it distressing that the top two names on Ionescu's Playing Style Comps list are Tori Jankoska and Allison Lacey, both notorious draft busts.



_________________
So where are the strong
And who are the trusted?
And where is the harmony?
Sweet harmony
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 3649
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
2020 WNBA Draft Analytics: The PLUM Model

http://www.tothemean.com/2020/04/12/wnba-draft-2020.html

Quote:
The PLUM draft model (named after Kelsey Plum) utilizes machine learning to objectively predict which players will succeed in the WNBA.

The model incorporates advanced statistics derived from college play-by-play data which are not available anywhere else (Bayesian RAPM, "Adjusted" box score stats, rate stats, etc.). These statistics isolate the impact and efficiency of a single player by controlling for playing time, pace, other players on the court (opponents, teammates), etc. The model also uses player characteristics (year in school, height). Lastly, a big improvement this year is the addition of the espnW 100 HoopGurlz high school recruiting rankings.


Liberty fans may find it distressing that the top two names on Ionescu's Playing Style Comps list are Tori Jankoska and Allison Lacey, both notorious draft busts.

Sabrina is the next GOAT. She deserves to be drafted number one.



_________________
Sky Nation! We are in this together!
Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1035
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Liberty fans may find it distressing that the top two names on Ionescu's Playing Style Comps list are Tori Jankoska and Allison Lacey, both notorious draft busts.


Oof, I remember Allison Lacey. Embarassed What did she do to stay on the team & be part of our 2010 run, huh?! Laughing

Jankoska of course never played in a single W game despite getting drafted 9th (man, Sky fans, the 2017 Draft sure wasn't kind to y'all).
Pilight, has anyone else been drafted higher than 9th that got cut before the season opened and has (thus far) never appeared in a regular-season game for any team?



_________________
"It's not a game of 'how-to', it's a game of 'when-to'." –Sue Bird, on basketball but probably also life
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 60778
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Pilight, has anyone else been drafted higher than 9th that got cut before the season opened and has (thus far) never appeared in a regular-season game for any team?


No. Astan Dabo also went #9 in 2012 and has yet to set foot in the US, let alone play a WNBA game.



_________________
So where are the strong
And who are the trusted?
And where is the harmony?
Sweet harmony
SpaceJunkie



Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 4071
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Pilight, has anyone else been drafted higher than 9th that got cut before the season opened and has (thus far) never appeared in a regular-season game for any team?


Technically Jankoska was with the Sky for 1 game but never played a seocnd (DNP) and was then cut. (I believe the Sky had players yet to come back from overseas?)


mavcarter
#NAPT


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 5349
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
(man, Sky fans, the 2017 Draft sure wasn't kind to y'all).


Who was it kind to?

That draft was very marginal.



_________________
wrote:
Or maybe said poster should quit being a nuisance when people don’t agree?
mavcarter
#NAPT


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 5349
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Liberty fans may find it distressing that the top two names on Ionescu's Playing Style Comps list are Tori Jankoska and Allison Lacey, both notorious draft busts.


Hell, Cox wasn’t any better.

Erica McCall? Aryn McClure? Caliya Robinson? Laughing



_________________
wrote:
Or maybe said poster should quit being a nuisance when people don’t agree?
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9483
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Pilight, has anyone else been drafted higher than 9th that got cut before the season opened and has (thus far) never appeared in a regular-season game for any team?


No. Astan Dabo also went #9 in 2012 and has yet to set foot in the US, let alone play a WNBA game.


Shaqator should have been on this list , but we all saw what happened there smh.



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 15206
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:
2020 WNBA Draft Analytics: The PLUM Model

http://www.tothemean.com/2020/04/12/wnba-draft-2020.html

Quote:
The PLUM draft model (named after Kelsey Plum) utilizes machine learning to objectively predict which players will succeed in the WNBA.

The model incorporates advanced statistics derived from college play-by-play data which are not available anywhere else (Bayesian RAPM, "Adjusted" box score stats, rate stats, etc.). These statistics isolate the impact and efficiency of a single player by controlling for playing time, pace, other players on the court (opponents, teammates), etc. The model also uses player characteristics (year in school, height). Lastly, a big improvement this year is the addition of the espnW 100 HoopGurlz high school recruiting rankings.


Liberty fans may find it distressing that the top two names on Ionescu's Playing Style Comps list are Tori Jankoska and Allison Lacey, both notorious draft busts.

Sabrina is the next GOAT. She deserves to be drafted number one.


I mean ... there's only one GOAT. That's what GOAT means.


Stormeo



Joined: 14 Jul 2019
Posts: 1035
Location: Seattle, WA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
(man, Sky fans, the 2017 Draft sure wasn't kind to y'all).


Who was it kind to?

That draft was very marginal.


Very true. Looking back on it, man, I'd call it the worst draft at least of the 2010's. It's definitely worse than the 2015 Draft.

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Technically Jankoska was with the Sky for 1 game but never played a second (DNP) and was then cut. (I believe the Sky had players yet to come back from overseas?)


Damn I don't even know how you remember that, but you're right. Razz Kind of a slap-in-the-face move from the Sky. She was a good player in college; I'm really surprised she didn't at least get one year somewhere.



_________________
"It's not a game of 'how-to', it's a game of 'when-to'." –Sue Bird, on basketball but probably also life
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 60778
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The PLUM Model definitely needs some work. Look at the 2018 analysis where Kaylee Jensen, Vionise Pierre-Lewis, Katelynn Flaherty, and Dekeiya Cohen were all ranked ahead of both Kia Nurse and Diamond DeShields. Cohen might eventually pan out, she put up huge numbers in Turkey this winter, but Pierre-Lewis was meh for a second division Spanish team while Flaherty and Jensen are already out of basketball.



_________________
So where are the strong
And who are the trusted?
And where is the harmony?
Sweet harmony
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 3649
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:
2020 WNBA Draft Analytics: The PLUM Model

http://www.tothemean.com/2020/04/12/wnba-draft-2020.html

Quote:
The PLUM draft model (named after Kelsey Plum) utilizes machine learning to objectively predict which players will succeed in the WNBA.

The model incorporates advanced statistics derived from college play-by-play data which are not available anywhere else (Bayesian RAPM, "Adjusted" box score stats, rate stats, etc.). These statistics isolate the impact and efficiency of a single player by controlling for playing time, pace, other players on the court (opponents, teammates), etc. The model also uses player characteristics (year in school, height). Lastly, a big improvement this year is the addition of the espnW 100 HoopGurlz high school recruiting rankings.


Liberty fans may find it distressing that the top two names on Ionescu's Playing Style Comps list are Tori Jankoska and Allison Lacey, both notorious draft busts.

Sabrina is the next GOAT. She deserves to be drafted number one.


I mean ... there's only one GOAT. That's what GOAT means.

Yup!



_________________
Sky Nation! We are in this together!
bluedevilaztecfan5



Joined: 16 Mar 2010
Posts: 405
Location: San Diego, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry if it was already posted, is there a list of players who will be participating in the virtual draft?

From instagram I see some players who got boxes of merchandise (draft shirts, hats from every team) include:
Carter, Walker, Harris, Mompremier, Alarie, Dangerfield, Cooper, Gillespie, Charles.
I assume Ionescu, Sabally, Cox, and Hebard also got boxes. With these four that would be like 13 ‘invites’.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 54242



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

History of WNBA 6th Pick
2020: ________ - MIN
2019: Napheesa Collier - MIN
2018: Azura Stevens - DAL
2017: Shatori Walker-Kimbrough - WAS
2016: Jonquel Jones - LAS
2015: Dearica Hamby - SAS
2014: Stefanie Dolson - WAS
2013: Tianna Hawkins - SEA
2012: Samantha Prahalis - PHX
2011: Danielle Robinson - SAS
2010: Jacinta Moore - WAS
2009: Briann January - IND
2008: Crystal Langhorne - WAS
2007: Bernice Mosby - WAS
2006: Candice Dupree - CHI
2005: Tameka Johnson - WAS
2004: Nicole Ohlde - MIN
2003: Gwen Jackson - IND
2002: Tamika Williams - MIN
2001: Deanna Nolan - DET
2000: Betty Lennox - MIN
1999: Crystal Robinson - NYL
1998: Cindy Blodgett - CLE

Non-active player with less than 5 year WNBA career



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned


Last edited by Shades on 04/16/20 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy



Joined: 17 Nov 2005
Posts: 22180
Location: London


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
Sorry if it was already posted, is there a list of players who will be participating in the virtual draft?

From instagram I see some players who got boxes of merchandise (draft shirts, hats from every team) include:
Carter, Walker, Harris, Mompremier, Alarie, Dangerfield, Cooper, Gillespie, Charles.
I assume Ionescu, Sabally, Cox, and Hebard also got boxes. With these four that would be like 13 ‘invites’.

There's supposedly going to be virtual media availability with everyone who goes in the first round almost immediately. Exactly how they'll pull that off if someone drafts Unknown Random X from Outer Mongolia, we'll have to wait and see.



_________________
Independent WNBA coverage: http://www.wnbalien.com/
bluedevilaztecfan5



Joined: 16 Mar 2010
Posts: 405
Location: San Diego, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
There's supposedly going to be virtual media availability with everyone who goes in the first round almost immediately. Exactly how they'll pull that off if someone drafts Unknown Random X from Outer Mongolia, we'll have to wait and see.


Interesting, thanks! I’m so curious to see how this can possibly run smoothly lol


Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 10101



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
There's supposedly going to be virtual media availability with everyone who goes in the first round almost immediately. Exactly how they'll pull that off if someone drafts Unknown Random X from Outer Mongolia, we'll have to wait and see.


Interesting, thanks! I’m so curious to see how this can possibly run smoothly lol


They've dealt with the same problem in the past. They usually just show a picture of the player and move on.



_________________
2019 RebKell Tipping Contest Champion
bluedevilaztecfan5



Joined: 16 Mar 2010
Posts: 405
Location: San Diego, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
There's supposedly going to be virtual media availability with everyone who goes in the first round almost immediately. Exactly how they'll pull that off if someone drafts Unknown Random X from Outer Mongolia, we'll have to wait and see.


Interesting, thanks! I’m so curious to see how this can possibly run smoothly lol


They've dealt with the same problem in the past. They usually just show a picture of the player and move on.


Totally, I’m more so curious on how smooth a virtual draft will be. Like will there be lots of pauses, tech glitches etc. I know there have been plenty of first round picks who were not on the radar lol and sadly invites who wait such a long time to get picked.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9483
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone heard any news on Cabbage ? Other than Tina she was also unsigned as of yesterday . Chasingrats where you at ? Whats going on ?



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
mavcarter
#NAPT


Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 5349
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Has anyone heard any news on Cabbage ? Other than Tina she was also unsigned as of yesterday . Chasingrats where you at ? Whats going on ?


Why, 09? Laughing



_________________
wrote:
Or maybe said poster should quit being a nuisance when people don’t agree?
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26592



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
Sorry if it was already posted, is there a list of players who will be participating in the virtual draft?

From instagram I see some players who got boxes of merchandise (draft shirts, hats from every team) include:
Carter, Walker, Harris, Mompremier, Alarie, Dangerfield, Cooper, Gillespie, Charles.
I assume Ionescu, Sabally, Cox, and Hebard also got boxes. With these four that would be like 13 ‘invites’.

There's supposedly going to be virtual media availability with everyone who goes in the first round almost immediately. Exactly how they'll pull that off if someone drafts Unknown Random X from Outer Mongolia, we'll have to wait and see.


It'll be fun to see some of them hunting thru their boxes trying to find the right thing, and maybe even grabbing the wrong one! Laughing
I guess we could use this list to pick who will be last picked. It won't be as embarrassing as sitting at the table in person.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 21541



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The draft is technically scheduled to air for 3 hours to include interviews with all first-round picks. The first pick is expected to be announced around 7:30pm.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9483
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/20 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Has anyone heard any news on Cabbage ? Other than Tina she was also unsigned as of yesterday . Chasingrats where you at ? Whats going on ?


Why, 09? Laughing


Nothing specific Just asking Laughing Laughing Wondering why she's not resigned by now ya know ? Not really wondering though Laughing Cool



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 57 of 59

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin