RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2020 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 57, 58, 59  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/17/20 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Before this season, Carter shot 38 and 35 percent from 3pt range respectively.

That's the part I was gonna point out. Why cherry-pick the 18 game sample from this season when we also have 65 games from the previous two? I don't pretend to have seen much of Carter, but she sure looked pro-ready in that game against Team USA. In the same way as a Cappie Pondexter she doesn't necessarily have to be either kind of guard if she's put in the right situation and system. Hell, New York's only free agent signing to help Ionescu out was a veteran point guard, so they're not exactly just handing things over to her either.

PostPosted: 02/17/20 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Hebard gets enough credit. She plays hard on the defensive end, rebounds well, and is an outstanding finisher. I think people overlook her skills because of how Oregon runs its offense. The way Ionescu can find her in the pick and roll makes Ruthy's job look easy. But she knows how to find her spots and make shots at an extremely high rate. In my mind, she is a sure lottery pick.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/17/20 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ice wrote:
I don't think Hebard gets enough credit. She plays hard on the defensive end, rebounds well, and is an outstanding finisher. I think people overlook her skills because of how Oregon runs its offense. The way Ionescu can find her in the pick and roll makes Ruthy's job look easy. But she knows how to find her spots and make shots at an extremely high rate. In my mind, she is a sure lottery pick.

I hope that she is a lottery pick too.

PostPosted: 02/17/20 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
OK. so I decided to check out Chennedy Carter's stats, expecting to be impressed, especially given that she is not known to be a player folks like to play with.

Oh Lord. Laughing

While raw stats shouldn’t be ignored, it isn’t necessarily the greatest indicator of a player’s potential at the next level. Intangibles, skill set, and attributes are more important, IMO.

Hell, Jackie Young was supposed to be more prepared for the W than Ogunbowale..

PostPosted: 02/17/20 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Ice wrote:

I hope that she is a lottery pick too.

Her defense is suspect IMO, but I think has improved a lot over her 4 years. That said she has great hands, really nice moves and countermoves around the basket, and can finish even when off balance. I toyed with the idea, but don't think it will happen, of Oregon going one, two, three in the draft.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 02/17/20 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
TotalCardinalMove wrote:
Before this season, Carter shot 38 and 35 percent from 3pt range respectively.

That's the part I was gonna point out. Why cherry-pick the 18 game sample from this season when we also have 65 games from the previous two? I don't pretend to have seen much of Carter, but she sure looked pro-ready in that game against Team USA. In the same way as a Cappie Pondexter she doesn't necessarily have to be either kind of guard if she's put in the right situation and system. Hell, New York's only free agent signing to help Ionescu out was a veteran point guard, so they're not exactly just handing things over to her either.

Excellent point ... I didn't look past this year.

But I think the comparisons to Cynthia Cooper might be pushing it some, and she doesn't look to be a point guard (unless her A/TO was also a lot better her first two years). A small two guard could be a dominant WNBA player, and I've certainly been wrong before ...

PostPosted: 02/17/20 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My relflexive comparison with Hebard was Brianna Turner, who also played next to ball-dominant scoring guards in college but always looked like she could have a useful pro career, and showed some good signs last season. Hebard's at least as good, isn't she? Or was Turner that much better defensively in college to create a gap at that end of the floor?

'Sure lottery pick' seems excessive for Hebard, but I agree that she could be a useful pro and may fall further than she should.

PostPosted: 02/17/20 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
My relflexive comparison with Hebard was Brianna Turner, who also played next to ball-dominant scoring guards in college but always looked like she could have a useful pro career, and showed some good signs last season. Hebard's at least as good, isn't she? Or was Turner that much better defensively in college to create a gap at that end of the floor?

'Sure lottery pick' seems excessive for Hebard, but I agree that she could be a useful pro and may fall further than she should.

I think she's quite a bit better than Turner offensively, but definitely not as good defensively. I think she can learn since she is pretty athletic and agile. In a way, in college it's more important for her to stay out of foul trouble and in that regard she's doing what her team needs her to do. She will also have to adjust to the physicality so I think it's best if she goes someplace where she will have time to adjust... but that's true of most posts.

- Amanda Gorman
PRballer

PostPosted: 02/18/20 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where do you all put Maryland's Stephanie Jones in this draft? I haven't seen her as a first round pick in any mocks, but she's definitely been a consistent, high-energy player in college career.

She's certainly a different prospect than her big sis - maybe more of a poor-woman's Candice Dupree? Yes, I said that. I just think her athletic build at 6'2 draw that comparison for me.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/stephanie-jones-is-miss-consistency-for-maryland-which-relies-on-her-steadiness/2020/02/16/3a899f2c-50f7-11ea-b119-4faabac6674f_story.html

What do you think of her in the pros?

Shades

PostPosted: 02/18/20 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was close to mentioning Stephanie Jones as a way under the radar prospect. She should be worth a shot in somebody’s training camp. First rounder? Naw, not even close unless she amazes in the NCAAT.

She’s not even a consistent starter since they play Charles at the PF. Maybe she’ll start based on matchups or injuries, but it’s mostly Charles and Austin in the post.

Lynetta Kizer was another one who didn’t start at Maryland but carved out a little bit of a career in the WNBA.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Wiseone1

PostPosted: 02/18/20 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I was close to mentioning Stephanie Jones as a way under the radar prospect. She should be worth a shot in somebody’s training camp. First rounder? Naw, not even close unless she amazes in the NCAAT.

She’s not even a consistent starter since they play Charles at the PF. Maybe she’ll start based on matchups or injuries, but it’s mostly Charles and Austin in the post.

Lynetta Kizer was another one who didn’t start at Maryland but carved out a little bit of a career in the WNBA.

Kizer was a starter her Freshman - Junior Year

Shades

PostPosted: 02/18/20 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wiseone1 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Kizer was a starter her Freshman - Junior Year

So that’s pretty similar. It would be weird if they had the exact same career trajectory.

SJones starts
F - 0/34
So - 34/34
Jr - 34/34
Sr - 16/26

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 02/18/20 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kizer went in the third round of a not especially strong draft (the same one in which Connecticut threw away their first rounder taking Astan Dabo)

#NATC

PostPosted: 02/18/20 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Kizer went in the third round of a not especially strong draft (the same one in which Connecticut threw away their first rounder taking Astan Dabo)

That 2012 draft had a lot of weird picks.

PostPosted: 02/18/20 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yet Kizer outlasted most of the players selected ahead or her, and might still be in the WNBA were it not for the injury problems she had.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/18/20 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’d like to add Brittany Brewer to this thread from Texas Tech. She’s a finesse big at least 6”6 who can fit in with a team needing a scorer at the 5 . She rebounds just as well. If Bella Arie gets the hype she deserves someone needs to give BB a look possibly late 1st or early 2nd Rd she’s a baller

PostPosted: 02/18/20 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:

2012 Had below ... definitely a lot of strange picks 8 yrs later. 4 out of 12 still have a career in this league not counting Shenise due to injuries only. Imagine Minnesota choosing Glory instead of Devereaux Withiut Brunson at the moment.

Pick Player Nationality WNBA Team School/Club Team/Country
1 Nneka Ogwumike Los Angeles Sparks Stanford
2 Shekinna Stricklen Seattle Storm (from Chi.)
3 Devereaux Peters Minnesota Lynx (from Was.
4 Glory Johnson Tulsa Shock Tennessee
5 Shenise Johnson San Antonio Silver Stars Miami
6 Samantha Prahalis Phoenix Mercury Ohio State
7 Kelley Cain New York Liberty Tennessee
8 Natalie Novosel Washington Mystics (from Atl.) ND
9 Astan Dabo Connecticut Sun Mali
10 LaSondra Barrett Washington Mystics (from Sea.)
11 Sasha Goodlett Indiana Fever Georgia Tech
12 Damiris Dantas do. Minnesota Lynx

PostPosted: 02/18/20 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Imagine Minnesota choosing Glory instead of Devereaux Withiut Brunson at the moment.

The Lynx traded Peters for Natasha Howard, who is way better than Glory Johnson.

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 02/18/20 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I’d like to add Brittany Brewer to this thread from Texas Tech. She’s a finesse big at least 6”6 who can fit in with a team needing a scorer at the 5 . She rebounds just as well. If Bella Arie gets the hype she deserves someone needs to give BB a look possibly late 1st or early 2nd Rd she’s a baller

*disclaimer: I really have only seen most college players in brief highlights.

But I liked Brewer and wanted her to slip to the Libs 3rd round pick, with Harris falling to our 2nd rounder (to start the college season). I think both go higher now.

I think Brewer would be a good pickup. She’s got good size, looked to have good hands and footwork, and 3pt range. She’s pretty fluid, especially for her size. But that’s what Alarie has that I personally like- more agility and more of a handle, which makes for good potential imo.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/18/20 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:

2012 Had below ... definitely a lot of strange picks 8 yrs later. 4 out of 12 still have a career in this league not counting Shenise due to injuries only. Imagine Minnesota choosing Glory instead of Devereaux Withiut Brunson at the moment.

Pick Player Nationality WNBA Team School/Club Team/Country
1 Nneka Ogwumike Los Angeles Sparks Stanford
2 Shekinna Stricklen Seattle Storm (from Chi.)
3 Devereaux Peters Minnesota Lynx (from Was.
4 Glory Johnson Tulsa Shock Tennessee
5 Shenise Johnson San Antonio Silver Stars Miami
6 Samantha Prahalis Phoenix Mercury Ohio State
7 Kelley Cain New York Liberty Tennessee
8 Natalie Novosel Washington Mystics (from Atl.) ND
9 Astan Dabo Connecticut Sun Mali
10 LaSondra Barrett Washington Mystics (from Sea.)
11 Sasha Goodlett Indiana Fever Georgia Tech
12 Damiris Dantas do. Minnesota Lynx

Yeah, the first six picks didn’t necessarily throw me off. It’s when it got to #7 that had me like “WTF are these teams doing”. Laughing

#NATC

PostPosted: 02/18/20 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So you're saying that #6 seemed ok at the time, and only looks trash in hindsight.
Meanwhile kudos to the Lynx for #12. Dodging bullets like Neo in the matrix to end up with Dantas.

PostPosted: 02/18/20 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
So you're saying that #6 seemed ok at the time, and only looks trash in hindsight.

Absolutely. At the time, it looked like a PG of the future pick to me.

PostPosted: 02/18/20 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Are you two trying to summon He Who Must Not Be Named Back to the Boards? Laughing Razz

PRballer

PostPosted: 02/18/20 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

*disclaimer: I really have only seen most college players in brief highlights.

But I liked Brewer and wanted her to slip to the Libs 3rd round pick, with Harris falling to our 2nd rounder (to start the college season). I think both go higher now.

I think Brewer would be a good pickup. She’s got good size, looked to have good hands and footwork, and 3pt range. She’s pretty fluid, especially for her size. But that’s what Alarie has that I personally like- more agility and more of a handle, which makes for good potential imo.

I'm on the Brewer train, too. She has a ton of upside and is worth a relatively high pick. She put up great numbers (19 points, 14 rebounds) tonight against that notorious Baylor front line. Impressive.

(I've seen her play twice on TV, including the previous Baylor game, and agree on the comments on her movement and fluidity and length - it's a rare gift for someone at her size).

If Texas Tech makes a run to the Big 12 title game and gets in the NCAAs that could help, too.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/18/20 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Are you two trying to summon He Who Must Not Be Named Back to the Boards? Laughing Razz

Let's resurrect IMHOTEP!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 25 of 59

Jump to: