Board Junkies Forums

2020 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58, 59  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 04/16/20 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
root_thing wrote:
Otherwise, I don't see how Laksa would go in the 1st Round based on what she's done (or hasn't done) in the last two years.

I have a question about this. What happened to the view on Laksa? If I remember correctly, last year she was seen as a first round pick before her injury. Is it just concerned that she hasn't healed well?

Mmm right the last two years, 2018 I think FIBA World Cup her FG% was in the low 30s, I think from 3 she was okay in the mid 30s.
2019 and this most recent season for TTT Riga domestic and EuroLeague I think she was shooting 20% from 3.
She was considered a potential first round pick pre injury, she did light it up from 3 in college and has good size for a wing. But her recent shooting hasn’t been great.
I can’t speak to what I’ve seen post college, so that’s based on the basic stats.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/16/20 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I never saw much of [Laksa] in college, but the player I've seen over here a few times just hasn't looked like anything special. I could see taking her somewhere, but first round seems like a reach.

The only thing she did well in college was shoot, and even then, being a career 39% shooter at the non-Power-5 level doesn't impress me. The Storm just traded away someone that had that profile in KML. No, I'd honestly rather just take a chance on healthy American players that probably will end up getting cut anyway rather than a possibly-not-fully-recovered Laksa, even if she were a deferral pick. I'd be straight-up mad if we took her at #11. Mad

pilight

PostPosted: 04/16/20 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2020 WNBA Draft Analytics: The PLUM Model

http://www.tothemean.com/2020/04/12/wnba-draft-2020.html

Quote:
The PLUM draft model (named after Kelsey Plum) utilizes machine learning to objectively predict which players will succeed in the WNBA.

The model incorporates advanced statistics derived from college play-by-play data which are not available anywhere else (Bayesian RAPM, "Adjusted" box score stats, rate stats, etc.). These statistics isolate the impact and efficiency of a single player by controlling for playing time, pace, other players on the court (opponents, teammates), etc. The model also uses player characteristics (year in school, height). Lastly, a big improvement this year is the addition of the espnW 100 HoopGurlz high school recruiting rankings.

Liberty fans may find it distressing that the top two names on Ionescu's Playing Style Comps list are Tori Jankoska and Allison Lacey, both notorious draft busts.

PostPosted: 04/16/20 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:
The PLUM draft model (named after Kelsey Plum) utilizes machine learning to objectively predict which players will succeed in the WNBA.

The model incorporates advanced statistics derived from college play-by-play data which are not available anywhere else (Bayesian RAPM, "Adjusted" box score stats, rate stats, etc.). These statistics isolate the impact and efficiency of a single player by controlling for playing time, pace, other players on the court (opponents, teammates), etc. The model also uses player characteristics (year in school, height). Lastly, a big improvement this year is the addition of the espnW 100 HoopGurlz high school recruiting rankings.

Liberty fans may find it distressing that the top two names on Ionescu's Playing Style Comps list are Tori Jankoska and Allison Lacey, both notorious draft busts.

Sabrina is the next GOAT. She deserves to be drafted number one.

PostPosted: 04/16/20 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Oof, I remember Allison Lacey. Embarassed What did she do to stay on the team & be part of our 2010 run, huh?! Laughing

Jankoska of course never played in a single W game despite getting drafted 9th (man, Sky fans, the 2017 Draft sure wasn't kind to y'all).
Pilight, has anyone else been drafted higher than 9th that got cut before the season opened and has (thus far) never appeared in a regular-season game for any team?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/16/20 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Pilight, has anyone else been drafted higher than 9th that got cut before the season opened and has (thus far) never appeared in a regular-season game for any team?

No. Astan Dabo also went #9 in 2012 and has yet to set foot in the US, let alone play a WNBA game.

PostPosted: 04/16/20 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Technically Jankoska was with the Sky for 1 game but never played a seocnd (DNP) and was then cut. (I believe the Sky had players yet to come back from overseas?)

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/16/20 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
(man, Sky fans, the 2017 Draft sure wasn't kind to y'all).

Who was it kind to?

That draft was very marginal.

#NATC

PostPosted: 04/16/20 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Hell, Cox wasn’t any better.

Erica McCall? Aryn McClure? Caliya Robinson? Laughing

PostPosted: 04/16/20 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

No. Astan Dabo also went #9 in 2012 and has yet to set foot in the US, let alone play a WNBA game.

Shaqator should have been on this list , but we all saw what happened there smh.

PostPosted: 04/16/20 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

I mean ... there's only one GOAT. That's what GOAT means.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/16/20 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
(man, Sky fans, the 2017 Draft sure wasn't kind to y'all).

Who was it kind to?

That draft was very marginal.

Very true. Looking back on it, man, I'd call it the worst draft at least of the 2010's. It's definitely worse than the 2015 Draft.

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Technically Jankoska was with the Sky for 1 game but never played a second (DNP) and was then cut. (I believe the Sky had players yet to come back from overseas?)

Damn I don't even know how you remember that, but you're right. Razz Kind of a slap-in-the-face move from the Sky. She was a good player in college; I'm really surprised she didn't at least get one year somewhere.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/16/20 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The PLUM Model definitely needs some work. Look at the 2018 analysis where Kaylee Jensen, Vionise Pierre-Lewis, Katelynn Flaherty, and Dekeiya Cohen were all ranked ahead of both Kia Nurse and Diamond DeShields. Cohen might eventually pan out, she put up huge numbers in Turkey this winter, but Pierre-Lewis was meh for a second division Spanish team while Flaherty and Jensen are already out of basketball.

PostPosted: 04/16/20 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

I mean ... there's only one GOAT. That's what GOAT means.

Yup!

PostPosted: 04/16/20 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry if it was already posted, is there a list of players who will be participating in the virtual draft?

From instagram I see some players who got boxes of merchandise (draft shirts, hats from every team) include:
Carter, Walker, Harris, Mompremier, Alarie, Dangerfield, Cooper, Gillespie, Charles.
I assume Ionescu, Sabally, Cox, and Hebard also got boxes. With these four that would be like 13 ‘invites’.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/16/20 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

History of WNBA 6th Pick
2020: ________ - MIN
2019: Napheesa Collier - MIN
2018: Azura Stevens - DAL
2017: Shatori Walker-Kimbrough - WAS
2016: Jonquel Jones - LAS
2015: Dearica Hamby - SAS
2014: Stefanie Dolson - WAS
2013: Tianna Hawkins - SEA
2012: Samantha Prahalis - PHX
2011: Danielle Robinson - SAS
2010: Jacinta Moore - WAS
2009: Briann January - IND
2008: Crystal Langhorne - WAS
2007: Bernice Mosby - WAS
2006: Candice Dupree - CHI
2005: Tameka Johnson - WAS
2004: Nicole Ohlde - MIN
2003: Gwen Jackson - IND
2002: Tamika Williams - MIN
2001: Deanna Nolan - DET
2000: Betty Lennox - MIN
1999: Crystal Robinson - NYL
1998: Cindy Blodgett - CLE

Non-active player with less than 5 year WNBA career

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 04/16/20 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/16/20 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
Sorry if it was already posted, is there a list of players who will be participating in the virtual draft?

From instagram I see some players who got boxes of merchandise (draft shirts, hats from every team) include:
Carter, Walker, Harris, Mompremier, Alarie, Dangerfield, Cooper, Gillespie, Charles.
I assume Ionescu, Sabally, Cox, and Hebard also got boxes. With these four that would be like 13 ‘invites’.

There's supposedly going to be virtual media availability with everyone who goes in the first round almost immediately. Exactly how they'll pull that off if someone drafts Unknown Random X from Outer Mongolia, we'll have to wait and see.

PostPosted: 04/16/20 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
There's supposedly going to be virtual media availability with everyone who goes in the first round almost immediately. Exactly how they'll pull that off if someone drafts Unknown Random X from Outer Mongolia, we'll have to wait and see.

Interesting, thanks! I’m so curious to see how this can possibly run smoothly lol

Randy

PostPosted: 04/16/20 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Interesting, thanks! I’m so curious to see how this can possibly run smoothly lol

They've dealt with the same problem in the past. They usually just show a picture of the player and move on.

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 04/16/20 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

They've dealt with the same problem in the past. They usually just show a picture of the player and move on.

Totally, I’m more so curious on how smooth a virtual draft will be. Like will there be lots of pauses, tech glitches etc. I know there have been plenty of first round picks who were not on the radar lol and sadly invites who wait such a long time to get picked.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/16/20 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone heard any news on Cabbage ? Other than Tina she was also unsigned as of yesterday . Chasingrats where you at ? Whats going on ?

PostPosted: 04/16/20 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Has anyone heard any news on Cabbage ? Other than Tina she was also unsigned as of yesterday . Chasingrats where you at ? Whats going on ?

Why, 09? Laughing

PostPosted: 04/16/20 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

It'll be fun to see some of them hunting thru their boxes trying to find the right thing, and maybe even grabbing the wrong one! Laughing
I guess we could use this list to pick who will be last picked. It won't be as embarrassing as sitting at the table in person.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 04/16/20 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The draft is technically scheduled to air for 3 hours to include interviews with all first-round picks. The first pick is expected to be announced around 7:30pm.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/16/20 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Why, 09? Laughing

Nothing specific Just asking Laughing Laughing Wondering why she's not resigned by now ya know ? Not really wondering though Laughing Cool

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 57 of 59

Jump to: