Lisa Leslie Award
Aliyah Boston

Ionescu played more SG than PG
McDonald played more PG than SG
Sabally played more PF than SF
Hebard played more C than PF

We live in an era of position less basketball. Smile

PostPosted: 04/06/20 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Megdal teasing about Guirantes declaring early tomorrow. Come on!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 04/06/20 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toad left out the most informative part.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/06/20 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I had heard Satou was waffling a bit with all that's going on, so now she's made it official. I wouldn't have been surprised either way.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/06/20 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I had heard Satou was waffling a bit with all that's going on, so now she's made it official. I wouldn't have been surprised either way.

Yeah, some people in the league definitely thought she was pulling out one stage. I wonder if she got some kind of confirmation that she'll make some level of cash beyond the WNBA (sponsorship, overseas team, national federation, whatever) and that swayed her back.

PostPosted: 04/06/20 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Ionescu played more SG than PG
McDonald played more PG than SG
Sabally played more PF than SF
Hebard played more C than PF

We live in an era of position less basketball. Smile

Which is why it's silly that they only recently decided to make awards for 5 distinct positions.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/07/20 6:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Connecticut Sun: 2020 WNBA Draft Preview
https://doublegsports.com/connecticut-sun-2020-wnba-draft-preview/

Quote:
The Connecticut Sun will have the 23rd and 35th pick in the 2020 WNBA Draft.

Quote:
Surprisingly, Connecticut traded Courtney Williams to the Atlanta Dream and lost Shekinna Stricklen to free agency.

Not too surprising when you consider they effectively broke up the band by throwing max money at Bonner and tried lowballing Williams.

Quote:
Draft Pick Number Twenty-Three
Team Needs: Scoring/Assassin Mentality

Draft Selection: Kaila Charles- University of Maryland

The author was pretty glowing about a player he expects to be available at #23. I’d be surprised if she went this low. That could be the bargain of the night.

Quote:
Draft Pick Number Thirty-Five
Team Needs: Combo Guard/Scoring/Assassin Mentality

Draft Selection: Chelsea Mitchell-Morgan State University

Who? Never heard of her, so I expect her to be available at #35. Don’t expect she’ll get drafted or invited by anyone.

Quote:
Expect the Sun to enter the draft night with intention, and strategy.

Miller has had to do most of his prospect analysis from his basement this year, so good luck finding anybody who can contribute to the team with these picks.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/07/20 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/liberty/walt-hopkins-liberty-wnba-draft-1.43717001
Quote:
The Liberty’s second pick of the draft will likely be a player that has a good chance to make the final roster.

“We have so much time left really and the way that we’re working it feels like a lot of time,” Hopkins said. “I know that it’s not, but it’s like every day it’s just jam-packed with calls to the prospects now. This week we’ve been able to call. We have our staff calls and talk through everything. It still does feel like we have tons of prep time.”

stever

PostPosted: 04/07/20 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hvU9k5CCAF4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shades

PostPosted: 04/07/20 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A Northwestern blog site features toad’s “true center” .
Q&A: Abi Scheid talks upcoming WNBA Draft
https://www.insidenu.com/2020/4/7/21207772/abi-scheid-wnba-draft-q-and-a-northwestern-womens-basketball-three-point-shooter

Quote:
Then, going into college, I really developed my shooting game and just being able to play off on the side rather than being a five. Gaining that versatility really propelled me to the top.

Quote:
Inside NU: Draftsite projected you to get picked at the end of the second round, and it listed you as a center. Do you see yourself more as a center or a stretch four at the next level?

Scheid: I would definitely say I see myself more as a stretch four than a five, getting both inside and outside touches.

I wonder if draftsite will listen?

Quote:
Inside NU: You grew up in Minnesota and have spent the last four years in Evanston. Do you have a strong desire to play for either the Minnesota Lynx or the Chicago Sky?

Scheid: I have family and friends in both those places, so that would definitely be really cool to play for either of those teams. But I also think it would be good to experience something new, and I’m honestly up to any opportunity that comes my way.

She has self awareness enough to realize she can’t be fussy.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/07/20 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hvU9k5CCAF4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good find. I'm interested in seeing how Cox does defensively against the more undersized, athletic, quicker PFs (N. Ogwumike, Howard, etc.) if she'll indeed play more PF in the W.

Shades wrote:
Q&A: Abi Scheid talks upcoming WNBA Draft https://www.insidenu.com/2020/4/7/21207772/abi-scheid-wnba-draft-q-and-a-northwestern-womens-basketball-three-point-shooter

Honestly if I had to pick a secondary position for her after PF, it would be SF and not C. Unlike Kiah Gillespie, a fellow 6'2 stretch-4 prospect projected to go well ahead of her, Scheid doesn't have the physicality to rebound or bang inside with even other 4s let alone 5s. But unlike Gillespie (career 29.7% 3PT on 373 total attempts), Scheid (career 40.4% 3PT on 426 total attempts) can actually make those 3's with consistency.

As an aside, I didn't know that Tangela Smith is an Assistant Coach for Northwestern WBB. I'm sure Scheid benefitted from her coaching the past couple years...

toad455

PostPosted: 04/07/20 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I guess it's safe to assume no one else is entering the draft early.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/08/20 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arella Guirantes officially will not enter the 2020 WNBA Draft and instead return to Rutgers for her final season of eligibility.

Quote:
The Big Ten's leading scorer this past season, ranking ninth nationally at 20.6 points per game, Guirantes, a 5-foot-11 guard, was widely projected as a late-first or early second-round pick in the 12-team draft.

Guirantes indicated in a statement that she only reached her decision Tuesday, the deadline to enter.

Did Megdal definitively say at any point that Guirantes was actually entering? If so... he really should just sit out the entire subject of early declarers from now on (despite having a 50% chance of reporting it correctly, oof).

Also, I'd like to get full-on confirmation that all three early declarers indeed didn't back out on their declaration (Sabally we know was considering it but kept her commitment to turn pro and reportedly did file the necessary paperwork). It'd be really interesting if we were to find out at a moment's notice that somebody got cold feet. It seems like this would be the year that that would happen.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/08/20 7:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be nice if .com had a list of the top prospects on their site, including the early entries of Sabally, Carter & Walker.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/08/20 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Voepel's latest mock draft -- 3 rounds and some hedging around her controversial picks. I got my three players for the Liberty. Cool

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/29008593/wnba-mock-draft-2020-oregon-sabrina-ionescu-satou-sabally-projected-go-1-2

PostPosted: 04/08/20 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Voepel's latest mock draft -- 3 rounds and some hedging around her controversial picks. I got my three players for the Liberty. Cool

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/29008593/wnba-mock-draft-2020-oregon-sabrina-ionescu-satou-sabally-projected-go-1-2

Thats a horrible draft for Dallas ...just turrrible Shocked

PostPosted: 04/08/20 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Could even Bibb be that stupid? They need a center and pass up on both Hebard and Mompremier, for Holmes; pass on Walker for Harris? I guess we will find out.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/08/20 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Voepel Mock Draft
1. New York Liberty: Sabrina Ionescu
2. Dallas Wings: Satou Sabally
3. Indiana Fever: Lauren Cox
4. Atlanta Dream: Chennedy Carter
5. Dallas Wings: Tyasha Harris
I have my doubts on this one, but I’d like to see it happen.
6. Minnesota Lynx: Megan Walker
I like the pick, but I’m curious how they’ll use her and who they’ll trade to make room for her. I vote for moving Christmas. Put in your bids.
7. Dallas Wings: Bella Alarie
The new Stevens?
8. Chicago Sky: Kiah Gillespie
Voepel obviously isn’t paying attention to the recent articles, one of which has Vandersloot pushing for Hebard. In the unlikelihood that Hebard is available way down here, no way does Chicago pass on her. I could see Hebard going as high as #5 or #6.
9. Dallas Wings: Joyner Holmes
Passing on Hebard in favor of Holmes? C’mon now.
10. Phoenix Mercury: Beatrice Mompremier
I’m not sure PHX has room for another post player, but might be hard to pass on Mompremier down here under BPA criteria. I have PHX ideally taking a PG.
11. Seattle Storm: Ruthy Hebard
Super bargain if it happens. Who would they move to make her fit?
12. Washington Mystics: Te'a Cooper
This pick makes perfect sense to me. But it’s Thibault, so it most likely won’t happen.

13. New York Liberty: Mikiah Herbert Harrigan
14. Indiana Fever Kaila Charles
15. Dallas Wings Brittany Brewer
16. Minnesota Lynx Crystal Dangerfield
I’d be receptive to Dangerfield at #16, but for her to make the roster means yet another decent player would have to be moved from the guard/wing ranks.
17. Atlanta Dream: Leaonna Odom
I think Gorecki gets drafted first, but it’ll probably be close.
18. Phoenix Mercury: Jocelyn Willoughby
This could be a Thibault type of player that he takes in the first round.
19. Seattle Storm: Kitija Laksa
Could be decent value but how does SEA make room? Encourage her to defer to a later season?
20. Los Angeles Sparks: Tynice Martin
The Sparks are turning into the bad girls of the league.
21. Dallas Wings: Haley Gorecki
Could be a hidden gem.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p6CQPtzvUTY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dqHmqD_odlU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
22. Los Angeles Sparks: Luisa Geiselsoder
This name is popping up a lot lately.
23. Connecticut Sun: Mikayla Pivec
Remember the days when people were putting her at #6?
24. Washington Mystics: Chen Mingling

25. Atlanta Dream: Japreece Dean
26. New York Liberty: Kylee Shook
27. Atlanta Dream: Dee Givens
28. Indiana Fever: Nicki Ekhomu
29. Phoenix Mercury: Ciara Duffy
30. Chicago Sky: Kathleen Doyle
31. Seattle Storm: Erica Ogwumike
32. Chicago Sky: Peyton Williams
33. Las Vegas Aces: Ae'Rianna Harris
34. Los Angeles Sparks: Alexis Tolefree
I never realized Tolefree was a senior. I like her. She could be a legit contender on a weaker roster.

35. Connecticut Sun: Jazmine Jones
Good value
36. Washington Mystics: Stella Johnson

I’m thinking Stephanie Jones and probably Minyon Moore get drafted. Pretty good job overall by Voepel. I think her biggest flub is having Hebard go so low. Her second and third rounds are nicely done. Shows better effort than a Megdal mock draft.

Last edited by Shades on 04/08/20 4:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/08/20 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If i had a dime..............

PostPosted: 04/08/20 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I tough the WNBA actually had a draft page set up at https://www.wnba.com/wnba-draft-2020/ only to get:

Page Not Found. Sad

lynxmania

PostPosted: 04/08/20 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I tough the WNBA actually had a draft page set up at https://www.wnba.com/wnba-draft-2020/ only to get:

Page Not Found. Sad

One of the biggest names about to get drafted plus a couple big name early entries and the league still can't figure out how to do anything right Laughing

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 04/08/20 3:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Page Not Found. Sad

One of the biggest names about to get drafted plus a couple big name early entries and the league still can't figure out how to do anything right Laughing

The WNBA has been practicing social distancing of content from their web site for years.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/08/20 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Page Not Found. Sad

The WNBA has been practicing social distancing of content from their web site for years.

Laughing Good one!

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 04/08/20 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

LMMFAO!!!! What does your board look like?

Shades

PostPosted: 04/09/20 4:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://kare11.com/embeds/video/89-8241c623-904c-457a-a0a0-5a24a03d3b71/iframe?jwsource=cl

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51 ... 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 50 of 59

Jump to: