RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ACC-2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/01/19 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ACC: News and notes on every women’s basketball team for 2019-20 season
Mitchell Northam (High Post Hoops)

https://highposthoops.com/2019/11/01/acc-news-notes-womens-basketball-2019-20-mcgraw-louisville-pitt-virginia/

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/01/19 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Duke's roster has a Jada, a Jayda, a Jaida, and a Jade

That's got to be confusing

Sounds like another jaded season for the Blue Devils..... Cool

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/01/19 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ridor wrote:
If you check Lander, you would know that they're Division II school - and they finished 24-9 including the trip to Sweet Sixteen in NCAA Division II Tournament ... and Lander virtually returns 3 players who led Lander ... one of them scored 30 against Clemson.

So this team is going to be very good in Division II.

I have no doubt that Lander is a quality DII program, but 40+ turnovers is 40+ turnovers. They have a lot of work cut out for them......

CBiebel

PostPosted: 12/03/19 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I get a chuckle that the rest of the ACC thinks this is the year to finally get a chance to knock ND down a peg or two.

We'll see. Maybe they're right.

ND is certainly lacking experience -- an unprecedented lack of experience -- but ND still has better talent and better coaching than any other team in the league. How far will that carry them? Interesting experiment.

BTW, I think they are overlooking Miami too. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see both ND and Miami in the top 3 at season end.

Thought I'd revisit this preseason prediction.

I'm guessing you aren't quite chuckling now. Top 3 by season end might be asking a bit much (still possible if they turn it around, obviously, especially if Vaughn returns), but currently in the latest AP Poll ND is ranked behind:

#2 Louisville
#8 FSU
#13 NC St.
#21 Miami
and is receiving fewer votes than Syracuse and the same number as UNC.

Granted that they haven't started conference play yet, so anything can happen, but I'd say based on the current rankings and how the teams have been playing to date that the conference's preseason predictions weren't that far off of where ND is now.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/02/20 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the turn into the New Year, Notre Dame and the University of Texas San Antonio were the only two teams with two true freshmen who were averaging at least 13 points per game.

Anaya Peoples was second in scoring with a 14.5 average and first in rebounding at 8.2 per game. Sam Brunelle was third in scoring with a 13.8 average (31 on 13 of 18 shooting in a loss to No. 16 DePaul) and second to Peoples in rebounding at 6.3 per contest.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/02/20 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
At the turn into the New Year, Notre Dame and the University of Texas San Antonio were the only two teams with two true freshmen who were averaging at least 13 points per game.

Anaya Peoples was second in scoring with a 14.5 average and first in rebounding at 8.2 per game. Sam Brunelle was third in scoring with a 13.8 average (31 on 13 of 18 shooting in a loss to No. 16 DePaul) and second to Peoples in rebounding at 6.3 per contest.

For all the woes about the lack of an inside game, Notre Dame has converted only 41 three-pointers in 186 attempts (22 percent). The opposition has drained 108 of them at 31 percent.

Even before the 2 of 17 performance against Clemson, among 348 Division 1 teams, Notre Dame ranked 337th in threes made per game and 340th in shooting percentage. In its last seven defeats, Notre Dame was outscored 198-54 beyond the arc, or an average of about 28-8.

https://notredame.rivals.com/news/notre-dame-women-s-basketball-experiencing-a-lost-season

pilight

PostPosted: 01/02/20 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wake Forest wins at Duke for the first time since 1989

PostPosted: 01/02/20 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Shocked Good grief.

https://twitter.com/DukeWBB/status/1212899718482653184

Quote:
Thank you to the best fans for rocking with us. Lots of basketball left to be played this season

Yep, and we can just add that to the growing list of Duke WBB problems...

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/03/20 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Actually, it is the first time since 1993.

https://goduke.com/documents/2020/1/2//DU_WFU_Postgame_Notes.pdf
https://goduke.com/sports/womens-basketball/schedule/1992-93

In Duke's pre-game notes, it was mistakenly listed as 1989. It was corrected in the post-game notes.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/03/20 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

Shocked Good grief.

https://twitter.com/DukeWBB/status/1212899718482653184

Quote:
Thank you to the best fans for rocking with us. Lots of basketball left to be played this season

Yep, and we can just add that to the growing list of Duke WBB problems...

Yes, we'll get to see some of the "lots of basketball left to be played" when Duke travels to Louisville Sunday. How low can Duke go? It's JPM limbo. No matter how low, she finds a way to go even lower, like that one totally stoned person at a party who can miraculously throw their party back horizontal and duck under to win the limbo contest.

For those of you who don't know limbo, you haven't lived a full life yet.

~rAf
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/07/20 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wake Forest is playing some of its best basketball. Can it keep it up in ACC play?
Mitchell Northam (High Post Hoops)

https://highposthoops.com/2020/01/07/wake-forest-womens-basketball-acc-deacons-jen-hoover-conti-2020/

taropatch

PostPosted: 02/17/20 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The most popular ACC thread is “Fire McCallie Now” so got to goose this other thread. Giving a shoutout to Georgia Tech -- caught my eye the other day with the Italian, Francesca Pan torching the short-lived #4 ranked NC State for 30. Joseph (we still don’t know the story) must have left the cupboard full – the Yellow Jackets are middle of the pack at 8-7. I don’t track players in many of the lower tier ACC teams but now am itching to see Pan go up against Louisville on Thursday. Didn’t realize she was ACC Freshman of the Year three years ago.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/17/20 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
The most popular ACC thread is “Fire McCallie Now” so got to goose this other thread. Giving a shoutout to Georgia Tech -- caught my eye the other day with the Italian, Francesca Pan torching the short-lived #4 ranked NC State for 30. Joseph (we still don’t know the story) must have left the cupboard full – the Yellow Jackets are middle of the pack at 8-7. I don’t track players in many of the lower tier ACC teams but now am itching to see Pan go up against Louisville on Thursday. Didn’t realize she was ACC Freshman of the Year three years ago.

Duke at #4 in the ACC is all you need to know about a VERY down ACC this season! It seems the players embarrassed themselves and decided to play to their abilities despite the lack of decent coaching. Well, "offense is overrated" JPM does get a little excited about defense to win some fugly games.

~rAf
CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/18/20 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
taropatch wrote:

Duke at #4 in the ACC is all you need to know about a VERY down ACC this season! It seems the players embarrassed themselves and decided to play to their abilities despite the lack of decent coaching. Well, "offense is overrated" JPM does get a little excited about defense to win some fugly games.

And amazingly even with ND's horrible season, they'd be in 5th place if not for about 45 seconds worth of play this year (last 6 seconds (regulation) against Syracuse, last 36 seconds vs Duke, and the closing seconds vs BC game #2).

Definitely not the strongest ACC year.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/18/20 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
And amazingly even with ND's horrible season, they'd be in 5th place if not for about 45 seconds worth of play this year (last 6 seconds (regulation) against Syracuse, last 36 seconds vs Duke, and the closing seconds vs BC game #2).

A lot of teams experience close losses, and Duke is one of them.
vs WF 58-60 (no Odom)
@ LOU 55-60
@ VA 63-66
@ CLEM 58-62
vs NCSU 60-63

Those are ALL of Duke’s losses in conference.
If you were to count them as wins, they’d be at 14-0 in conference.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/19/20 12:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

vs WF 58-60 (no Odom)
@ LOU 55-60
@ VA 63-66
@ CLEM 58-62
vs NCSU 60-63

And, if we had wings we could fly. Point?

~rAf
crispyten

PostPosted: 02/19/20 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
Giving a shoutout to Georgia Tech -- caught my eye the other day with the Italian, Francesca Pan torching the short-lived #4 ranked NC State for 30. Joseph (we still don’t know the story) must have left the cupboard full – the Yellow Jackets are middle of the pack at 8-7. I don’t track players in many of the lower tier ACC teams but now am itching to see Pan go up against Louisville on Thursday. Didn’t realize she was ACC Freshman of the Year three years ago.

Francesca Pan seems to have gotten her confidence back. She had a series of games when practically every shot she put up rimmed out, scoring 6, 4, 0, even missing free-throws which is rare for her. Her defense remained good and coach continued to give her playing time. Tech lost some close games during that period. I'm hoping they can surprise some follks during the ACC tournament.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/23/20 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Shades wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

vs WF 58-60 (no Odom)
@ LOU 55-60
@ VA 63-66
@ CLEM 58-62
vs NCSU 60-63

My point was the differences between 5th and second to last aren't that great, which was a surprise to me since ND sucks this year.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/23/20 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Shades wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

vs WF 58-60 (no Odom)
@ LOU 55-60
@ VA 63-66
@ CLEM 58-62
vs NCSU 60-63

My point was the differences between 5th and second to last aren't that great, which was a surprise to me since ND sucks this year.

My comment was in response to Shades, not you. Your point was clear and I agree. Duke in 3rd place in ACC = ACC sucks. Big time. At this point only Louisville and NC State deserve to be in the tourney. Possibly Fla State.

~rAf
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/24/20 5:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
My comment was in response to Shades, not you. Your point was clear and I agree. Duke in 3rd place in ACC = ACC sucks. Big time. At this point only Louisville and NC State deserve to be in the tourney. Possibly Fla State.

All of NCAA WBB this year sucks. There's only around 25-30 good teams that "deserve" to be in the tournament (and even those teams are bound to sucking, like yesterday), so they need another 15-20 mediocre teams to fill the field, and Duke is one of the best of the mediocres.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 02/24/20 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's bad when you have to downplayed your team's success and don't want them to make the NCAAs because you hate the coach and that's what's going over on at the DevilsDen (A Duke sports forum). There's been complaints about not having enough parity in WBB for years, and now there's complaints about "
good" teams are losing to "bad" teams.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/24/20 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
It's bad when you have to downplayed your team's success and don't want them to make the NCAAs because you hate the coach and that's what's going over on at the DevilsDen (A Duke sports forum). There's been complaints about not having enough parity in WBB for years, and now there's complaints about "
good" teams are losing to "bad" teams.

Over on TDD, folks are pretty united in not wanting JPM to get an extension after the recent spate of players finally playing up to their talent level.

~rAf
Davis4632

PostPosted: 03/03/20 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://theacc.com/news/2020/3/3/womens-basketball-louisvilles-evans-named-acc-player-of-the-year-boston-colleges-bernabei-mcnamee-earns-coach-of-the-year.aspx

019-20 Blue Ribbon Panel/Head Coaches Awards
ACC Player of the Year: Dana Evans, Jr., G, Louisville
ACC Freshman of the Year: Elizabeth Kitley, Fr., C, Virginia Tech
ACC Coach of the Year: Joanna Bernabei-McNamee, Boston College

2019-20 Head Coaches Awards
ACC Defensive Player of the Year: Kylee Shook, Sr., F, Louisville
ACC Sixth Player of the Year: Trinity Baptiste, Jr., F, Virginia Tech
ACC Most Improved Player: Taylor Soule, So., F, Boston College

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/03/20 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Definitely agree on Kitley. Barring injury, I think she's going to be amazing. Usually the big girls don't come along that fast. She's got the stuff!

PostPosted: 03/04/20 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame's loss means they'll be the 5th team ever to play in the national championship game one year then miss the tournament the next. The last was Louisville, who missed in 2010 after being carried on Angel wings to the 2009 final.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: