RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee hires Kellie Harper to coach Lady Vols
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/11/19 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
PRballer wrote:
And all those legacy programs have appointed heirs to take over the HOF coaches. Connecticut (Rizzotti or Ralph), Stanford (Paye), Notre Dame (Cunningham or Ivey), so the trend will continue.

This is quite an assumption, imo.

As for UConn, contrary to traditional mass wisdom, I have never thought Rizzotti would follow Geno. She's never recruited any sort of star player at two schools and her offense is boring. Plus, she may be too old when he finally retires. I expect Geno to hang on until he passes Pat Summitt and Tara VanDerveer in wins and until he's sure VanDerveer can't surpass him. That could be another five to 10 years.

Ralph is possible, but I have no idea how good a recruiter she is. That's the key thing at any elite college sports program. To attain and maintain an elite program, the head coach must personally be an elite recruiter. Star assistants are not enough because they will usually leave for head coaching opportunities.

You do know that assistants are responsible for a lot of the recruiting, right? In some cases, they do the bulk of it and the HC comes in at the last part.

PostPosted: 04/12/19 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
linkster wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:

IMO, there's going to be pressure to stay within the family for other schools like ND, Stanford, and UConn when their long time coaches retire within the next 20 years.

I agree. But isn't it revealing that of Summitt, Geno & McGraw, none were "family" when hired.

None was hired in the last 30 years, either.
None of their respective programs had been built when they were hired. None was replacing a coaching legend or even a perennial top-10/top-20 finisher.

True, but from a strictly results viewpoint it seems that, among the most successful coaches, those with no prior connection to the school make up the bulk. It is evidence that trying to maintain the legacy leads to a bad end, but it's the safe road as far as keeping the fans happy.

It's hard enough to find the right coach without tying your hands with artificial, non-basketball-related, requirements and limitations. I'm not surprised schools that limit their pool before they even start considering candidates aren't as successful.

The one situation where it DOES sometimes help is when ties to a school help attract a desirable experienced coach. Sometimes schools can attract a star because it's the coach's alma mater where they would otherwise not typically be interested in the job.

One other reason could be because you expect the alumna coach to stay rather than use the position as a stepping stone. Take Rueck at Oregon State. If he had not ties to the school, how likely might it be that he would have been poached for a better job? I don't know the answer, but I have to think there is a decent chance.

That can also go awry, though. It is part of the reason that Purdue hired Versyp. Curry was helped out the door, but after her, Fortner's, and Peck's departures, Purdue was making it's four hire in just more than 10 years. Part of the idea behind Versyp was that you a good coach who wants to stay rather than one who will be looking to jump. In our case, it led to a total disaster, but in OSU's it seems to be working.

Mike Neighbors left Washington to back to his alma mater Arkansas. It was convenient for him to leave because Kelsey Plum and those seniors was gone and it would've have been interesting to see if he would've stayed at Washington if he would've gotten Ionescu (it came down to Oregon and Washington for her services).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aI_asKTPtEs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/12/19 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mike Neighbors left Washington to back to his alma mater Arkansas. It was convenient for him to leave because Kelsey Plum and those seniors was gone and it would've have been interesting to see if he would've stayed at Washington if he would've gotten Ionescu (it came down to Oregon and Washington for her services).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aI_asKTPtEs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/quote]

Mike's doing okay down there. His Ladyback program is growing and he's been getting some decent recruits. They did pretty well in the WNIT until they hit Arizona.

PostPosted: 04/12/19 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her new contract, for anyone interested:

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/womens-basketball/2019/04/10/kellie-harper-buyout-1-million-leave-tennessee-lady-vols/3428367002/

And CHW's buyout, including this tidbit... "Tennessee's athletic department reported a $6.5 million deficit in the 2018 fiscal year that ended June 30...Tennessee listed $13.8 million in buyout expenses on that report."

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/womens-basketball/2019/04/05/lady-vols-holly-warlick-buyout-tennessee-womens-basketball/3374833002/

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/12/19 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I imagine the Donors enjoy watching their money just being pissed away. Bad decisions and bad hires are costly to both the organization and to the players.

Let's Go Kellie and Let's Make Tennessee Great Again!

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/12/19 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aI_asKTPtEs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Both Fullmer and Harper said she's not been hired to be the next Pat Summitt but just to be herself. Yet there were constant references to Pat's this, Pat's that, Pat's way, Pat's intensity, Pat's class, Pat's excellence. Poor Holly didn't get a mention except that Harper said she's been playing phone tag with her.

Harper ducked the question of who will be on her staff ("a work in progress"), said she's talked to the incoming recruits and they're all coming, she hasn't talked to transfer-portaled Evina Westbrook, and that she expects the team to be back in the Final Four.

Fullmer said that although a Lady Vol connection wasn't necessary to him at the beginning of his search -- just the best qualified individual -- it became clear to him later on that such a connection was a necessity (I guess, to important people in Lady Vol Land).
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/13/19 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In general, you get better at a job the longer you do it, and Harper has shown improvement. She has coached at the Power 5 level, and has had success as a head coach, so she really makes a lot of sense for the Tennessee job.

My only caveat is that in these kind of legacy operations, there's a certain reluctance to change the way things have been done in the past, and Harper seems an unlikely choice to "modernize," for a lack of a better word, the Tennessee program.

Still, a good hire, and I hope she gets Tennessee back in the national conversation ...

I will still root against them, though, just as I reflexively root against the Yankees, the Cowboys, the Celtics, Notre Dame and the other sports teams that have been powers over the years. But having someone to root against is almost as much fun as having someone to cheer for, so I do sincerely hope Harper is the woman for this job. Having the Lady Vols to dislike again would be a wonderful thing ...

PostPosted: 04/14/19 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kellie will take her time getting things in order. Remember, she was a math major, and that makes her a deliberative sort. She won't rush into anything. Also, she's not going to announce everything until she has things in order. That's just her. Y'all will have to be patient.

PostPosted: 04/21/19 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Mike's doing okay down there. His Ladyback program is growing and he's been getting some decent recruits. They did pretty well in the WNIT until they hit Arizona.[/quote]

Arkansas lost to TCU in the WNIT, not Arizona.
And Ionescu committed to Oregon (June 2016) about 10 months before Neighbors' departure to Arkansas was announced (April 2017).

It would have been interesting to see how Neighbors would have used Aari McDonald, who he did recruit and sign at UW before she transferred to Coach Barnes at Arizona (who had helped recruit her to UW).

But not to fully derail the thread, I have a lot of respect of Harper's decision to cut Westbrook loose and not beg her to stay. Focus on the excellent players in the program who want to be there. She'll have a lot of talent to work with, even without Evina.

PostPosted: 04/21/19 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did the La Tech AD pull the same stunt with WBB that the ODU AD did? That is, decide that it was no longer that important (to him) and pull funding and basic support? That led to the start of the decline at ODU, even though Wendy Larry was still coaching.

PostPosted: 04/22/19 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I will still root against them, though, just as I reflexively root against the Yankees, the Cowboys, the Celtics, Notre Dame and the other sports teams that have been powers over the years. But having someone to root against is almost as much fun as having someone to cheer for, so I do sincerely hope Harper is the woman for this job. Having the Lady Vols to dislike again would be a wonderful thing ...

Yep.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: