RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

UConn 2019-2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5370
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 05/24/19 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
This is an interesting subject, which we've debated before and surely will again, but I don't really think it belongs in this UConn thread.


Then will you PLEASE start a new one?

When did Glenn become a mod? Rolling Eyes


You do know that ANYONE can start a thread here....or didn't you? And likewise, anyone can comment on whether they think something belongs in a thread.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4005



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/24/19 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
If you have an academic scholarship, you can transfer to another school and continue your studies in your major.

If you have an arts scholarship, you can transfer to another school and star in the school play or display paintings right away.

Why are athletes treated differently?


When was the last time you paid to see a student art show? Do you know any undergrad instructors who make in excess of a million/yr? Does the Harford Courant assign a writer to the math dept at UConn?

There are 3 reasons. Not saying they are gppd ones. The common thread is $$$


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9626



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/24/19 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
If you have an academic scholarship, you can transfer to another school and continue your studies in your major.

If you have an arts scholarship, you can transfer to another school and star in the school play or display paintings right away.

Why are athletes treated differently?


When was the last time you paid to see a student art show? Do you know any undergrad instructors who make in excess of a million/yr? Does the Harford Courant assign a writer to the math dept at UConn?

There are 3 reasons. Not saying they are gppd ones. The common thread is $$$


Of course ... and the ones who create the $$$ don't get any because they are "students." If they were "students," though, they would be treated like other students.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4005



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
If you have an academic scholarship, you can transfer to another school and continue your studies in your major.

If you have an arts scholarship, you can transfer to another school and star in the school play or display paintings right away.

Why are athletes treated differently?


When was the last time you paid to see a student art show? Do you know any undergrad instructors who make in excess of a million/yr? Does the Harford Courant assign a writer to the math dept at UConn?

There are 3 reasons. Not saying they are gppd ones. The common thread is $$$


Of course ... and the ones who create the $$$ don't get any because they are "students." If they were "students," though, they would be treated like other students.


Make money on the sweat of others?
Isn't that the American way?

If Stanford players were paying their own way how many would be enrolled there? And if Stanford wasn't kicking in with 5 thousand in "pocket money" some may have chosen other schools.
It's easy to see injustice looking at a few schools and the revenue they generate but if you look at wcbb in total there is little to suggest that D1 basketball is a revenue sport. Where is all the money that these players should be sharing in.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9626



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
If you have an academic scholarship, you can transfer to another school and continue your studies in your major.

If you have an arts scholarship, you can transfer to another school and star in the school play or display paintings right away.

Why are athletes treated differently?


When was the last time you paid to see a student art show? Do you know any undergrad instructors who make in excess of a million/yr? Does the Harford Courant assign a writer to the math dept at UConn?

There are 3 reasons. Not saying they are gppd ones. The common thread is $$$


Of course ... and the ones who create the $$$ don't get any because they are "students." If they were "students," though, they would be treated like other students.


Make money on the sweat of others?
Isn't that the American way?

If Stanford players were paying their own way how many would be enrolled there? And if Stanford wasn't kicking in with 5 thousand in "pocket money" some may have chosen other schools.
It's easy to see injustice looking at a few schools and the revenue they generate but if you look at wcbb in total there is little to suggest that D1 basketball is a revenue sport. Where is all the money that these players should be sharing in.


Colleges generate close to a billion dollars a year, if not more, off of direct revenue, donations, increased enrollment, etc., from football and men's basketball. (I would argue that the totality of college sports generates lots of income, primarily from donors, but without football and men's basketball, it would not be close to the same amount.) Those athletes should be paid, certainly, but all athletes should have the same freedom of movement as other students, and the same freedom of movement as their coaches and administrators.

What is the justification for forcing athletes to sit for a year? If it doesn't affect revenue, then why is a drama student free to star in a play the next year at a different school but not a women's basketball player? And if it is about revenue, then why shouldn't the labor force that generates the revenue share in the income?



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4005



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/26/19 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
[
What is the justification for forcing athletes to sit for a year? If it doesn't affect revenue, then why is a drama student free to star in a play the next year at a different school but not a women's basketball player? And if it is about revenue, then why shouldn't the labor force that generates the revenue share in the income?


I am not familiar with the history of the rule but I do remember there was a time when 2 of Pat Summitt's Olympic Team mates dumped the schools they were attending under scholarship right after talking to Pat at a FF, played for Pat the next season and it led to Tenn's first title. Today Pat would have committed a serious violation. I'm not sure how long after that the rule was imposed.
If the rule does anything it discourages coaches from tampering and it protects the poobahs in Indianapolis from bad PR.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9626



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/27/19 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
[
What is the justification for forcing athletes to sit for a year? If it doesn't affect revenue, then why is a drama student free to star in a play the next year at a different school but not a women's basketball player? And if it is about revenue, then why shouldn't the labor force that generates the revenue share in the income?


I am not familiar with the history of the rule but I do remember there was a time when 2 of Pat Summitt's Olympic Team mates dumped the schools they were attending under scholarship right after talking to Pat at a FF, played for Pat the next season and it led to Tenn's first title. Today Pat would have committed a serious violation. I'm not sure how long after that the rule was imposed.
If the rule does anything it discourages coaches from tampering and it protects the poobahs in Indianapolis from bad PR.


Aren't the "student-athletes" supposed to be the priority? Shouldn't their interests come first?



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4005



Back to top
PostPosted: 05/29/19 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:


Aren't the "student-athletes" supposed to be the priority? Shouldn't their interests come first?


I applauded when Curt Flood won his case and free agency freed baseball players from serfdom but sometimes I miss the days of the Celtic dynasty. Never would have happened today because Russell and a couple others would have left for better opportunities and money, something Red hated to spend.


ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 1476
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/04/19 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anna MAkurat has arrived in Storrs from Poland and she is wearing #24. I feel as though it's a bit too soon for me to say goodbye to Phee and her #24 as she just cleaned out her locker. HA!


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4005



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/04/19 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
[
What is the justification for forcing athletes to sit for a year? If it doesn't affect revenue, then why is a drama student free to star in a play the next year at a different school but not a women's basketball player? And if it is about revenue, then why shouldn't the labor force that generates the revenue share in the income?


I am not familiar with the history of the rule but I do remember there was a time when 2 of Pat Summitt's Olympic Team mates dumped the schools they were attending under scholarship right after talking to Pat at a FF, played for Pat the next season and it led to Tenn's first title. Today Pat would have committed a serious violation. I'm not sure how long after that the rule was imposed.
If the rule does anything it discourages coaches from tampering and it protects the poobahs in Indianapolis from bad PR.


Aren't the "student-athletes" supposed to be the priority? Shouldn't their interests come first?


What does "should" have to do with it? And I'll bet that if asked, the NCAA would say that they do put the S/A first at all times.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5489
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/05/19 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

6'-7" Sedona Prince, once a UConn recruiting target before she signed with Texas, is now in the transfer portal because of, according to her, "medical reasons", which happens to be one of the primary situations in which the NCAA might waive the one year residency requirement (sit-out year) for transfers under Bylaw 14.7.2.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YdmGSJ8HO68" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5489
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/05/19 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sedona Prince on the gold medal 2018 USAB U18 team with UConn players Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa. She broke her leg while playing on this team in Mexico City in a game against Puerto Rico in August 2018, and thus missed her entire freshman season at UTexas.

GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5489
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/05/19 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn's ONO followed by Sedona Prince dunking during U18 team warmups on August 3, 2018, which would have been the day before Prince broke her leg: Twitter video
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5489
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/14/19 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sedona Prince will be visiting UConn next week.

Crystal Dangerfield had surgery on her left hip on May 30. Evina Westbrook had surgery on her left knee on June 4. Both players are expected to return fully in four months.

All according to Carl Adamec of the Journal Inquirer.
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5489
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/14/19 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sedona Prince workout:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jL70hpG9DYc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin