RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2019-2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 04/24/19 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

My GOO'NESS....that poor girl does nothing but dribble 'n shoot. Razz She did give a couple nice assists to the short chubby buddy down low. Very Happy

Kidding aside, were these *highlights* taken against teams with no defensive skills? If anyone has seen her in action, is she a complete team player, who can run a quarter-court offense against a good defense?

If Geno wanted her, she clearly must posses a more complete game than that highlight video portrays.

That highlight appears to be a Minn HS game. Bueckers team ended up 10-15th ranked in the country, despite the fact that Minn does not let it's HS teams travel out of the state. Hopkins won the state title undefeated with only one close game all season. But if you honestly want to see her against better competition then search FIBA U17 US 2018 on Utube. She, Van Lyth, Fudd, Boston and Brunelle et al put on a show.

Geno not only wanted her, he wanted her badly. This season it seemed like if she was playing and UConn wasn't he was in Minn. For a coach like Geno Bueckers is a bonus gift from heaven because Geno already has had several players of a lifetime. Most other coaches who have seen her agree with him.

Last edited by linkster on 04/27/19 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/25/19 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Howee wrote:

My GOO'NESS....that poor girl does nothing but dribble 'n shoot. Razz She did give a couple nice assists to the short chubby buddy down low. Very Happy

Kidding aside, were these *highlights* taken against teams with no defensive skills? If anyone has seen her in action, is she a complete team player, who can run a quarter-court offense against a good defense?

If Geno wanted her, she clearly must posses a more complete game than that highlight video portrays.

That highlight appears to be a Minn HS game. Bueckers team ended up 1-15th ranked in the country, despite the fact that Minn does not let it's HS teams travel out of the state. Hopkins won the state title undefeated with only one close game all season. But if you honestly want to see her against better competition then search FIBA U17 US 2018 on Utube. She, Van Lyth, Fudd, Boston and Brunelle et al put on a show.

Geno not only wanted her, he wanted her badly. This season it seemed like if she was playing and UConn wasn't he was in Minn. For a coach like Geno Bueckers is a bonus gift from heaven because Geno already has had several players of a lifetime. Most other coaches who have seen her agree with him.

I agree. Paige is amazing! I sure wish that Muffet had been able to convince her to join Sam in South Bend. Unless she reneges on her verbal, Geno will again have 3 #1 ranked players on his team for the 2020-21 season while only Stanford will have even one on their team.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/25/19 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Howee wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Really? Does Belibi do more than dunk? Because those are the only highlights I've seen.

Laughing Laughing Now, WHY might we discuss Franny on a UConn board?? Laughing Laughing

Lame attempt, Howee. Laughing

Wrong again....what does SHE have to do with UConn/Bueckers?

"Again". Ha. As if it's ever happened. Laughing

You critiqued a highlight video. Bart did the same.

You "suggested" all PB does is dribble and shoot.

Bart "suggested" all Belibbi does is dunk.

Perfect association. Wink

PostPosted: 04/25/19 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

Laughing Laughing This is where yer HKIAT syndrome fools you (Husky Knickers In A Twist).

I did not 'critique' the film, I commented on what I saw, with a Razz added for sardonic effect. And I suggested nothing. I DID ask:
"If anyone has seen her in action, is she a complete team player, who can run a quarter-court offense against a good defense?", cuz I was pretty certain there was more to her than that brief vid.

THAT was what I was getting at, in my .... ever-so-inflammatory way.

I'm afraid I shall hafta pronounce you "wrong" again, darlin'. Razz Laughing Laughing

But I still love you. Cool

PostPosted: 04/26/19 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

Laughing Laughing This is where yer HKIAT syndrome fools you (Husky Knickers In A Twist).

I did not 'critique' the film, I commented on what I saw, with a Razz added for sardonic effect. And I suggested nothing. I DID ask:
"If anyone has seen her in action, is she a complete team player, who can run a quarter-court offense against a good defense?", cuz I was pretty certain there was more to her than that brief vid.

THAT was what I was getting at, in my .... ever-so-inflammatory way.

I'm afraid I shall hafta pronounce you "wrong" again, darlin'. Razz Laughing Laughing

But I still love you. Cool

My national flag blue knicks are just fine, thanks honey!

You took a friendly shot at PB, based on the highlight reel, Bart responded in kind re Belibbi.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Your FAILED attempt (you know, like the "failed" NYT) Smile was beneath you. Sweetie. Wink

PostPosted: 04/26/19 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="GlennMacGrady"]Geno and bigs.

He's had a few great ones, has always had at least one on his national championship teams, but seems to have had difficulties recruiting 6-3+ high school AA's.

In 1991 Geno recruited 6-4 Rebecca Lobo, a high school star, and in 1993 6-7 Kara Wolters, a high school project. Both were big contributors to the 1995 national championship team, and both became college AA's and NPOY's.

In 1997 Geno recruited 6-5 Kelly Schumacher, a relative unknown from Canada, who contributed to the 2000 national championship team and eventually played in the WNBA.

In 2001 Geno recruited 6-3 Jessica Moore, a high school star in remote Alaska but relatively unknown elsewhere, who was a contributor to UConn's national championships in 2002 and especially in 2003 and 2004. She played several years in the WNBA.

In 2006 Geno recruited 6-4 Tina Charles, a high school NPOY, who became a college AA and NPOY and who helped win UConn's national championships in 2009 and 2010.

In 2010 Geno recruited 6-5 Stefanie Dolson, the 37th ranked high school player on HoopGurlz, who became an AA and starter on the 2013 and 2014 national championship teams.

In 2012 Geno recruited 6-4 Breanna Stewart, who was All-Everything in high school and college and who starred in UConn's national championships in 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.

In between those six "NC bigs" -- and Moore wasn't really that big -- Geno missed a lot of the 6-3+ top ranked high school centers and power forwards from 1985 to 2019. 6-4 Olivia Nelson-Ododa in 2018 is the best high school center recruit since Stewart in 2012, but she hasn't yet shown out in college. (Kiah Stokes from the class of 2011 was only 6-3, but played bigger than that on defense and much smaller on offense, and never started.)

There is no big in UConn's 2019 recruiting class -- just one wing -- and the two commits so far from 2020 are both guards. It's not clear that UConn has the inside track on the best remaining bigs from 2020 such as 6-3 Angel Reese, 6-4 Hannah Gusters or 6-6 Kamilla Cardoso. (6-5 Cameron Brink pledged to Stanford and 6-4 Natalija Marshall pledged to Notre Dame.) It's rumored that 6-4 Amari DeBerry from 2021 -- ranked #2 after Azzi Fudd -- is a UConn lean.

So, has Geno been a poor recruiter of bigs? On the one hand, it seems silly to say so since Geno is the undisputed Lord of the Rings. On the other hand, he seems to have had a lot more success recruiting elite guards and forwards out of high school than elite centers, with probably only Lobo, Charles and Stewart (and maybe ONO) being in that category.[/quote]

This has been the flaw whoever you want to blame. However, I don’t think it is that simple. When there are gaps in the years when GENO doesn’t have players in a year that can play up to his level it puts too much pressure on other players, especially when you only had Dangerfield and KLS who could initiate the offense and know the mismatches and reads, Having no other upper class to help. Collier as an undersized post was always going to struggle against teams like Louisville, Baylor and ND as they have a player long enough to guard her one on one and coaches were smart enough to leave Walker open so they could pressure our strengths.

Hoping that CWill can make the jump to understanding how to run the team also, as she has the talent but didn’t obviously know the system as a freshman, or it is going to be a hell of a long year.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/26/19 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Your FAILED attempt (you know, like the "failed" NYT) Smile was beneath you. Sweetie. Wink

Point 1: It never failed, Love Lumps: it produced input from folks who'd seen Paige play, as was the intent of the inqiry.

Point 2: You should know, NOTHING is 'beneath' me. Now you're wrong twice in one post. Razz Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 04/30/19 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
Raoul reporting that MiKayla Coombs is in the transfer portal.

Good luck to her.

And, here's hoping this is a sign of a good get by the staff.

Wooohooooo Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Anna MAKURAT
Profile image of Anna MAKURAT
SHOOTING GUARD
Birth: 31 Mar 2000 (age 19)
Height: 182cm / 6'0"
Nationality: POL

PostPosted: 04/30/19 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Good luck to her.

Anna MAKURAT
SHOOTING GUARD

Is she any good CTH? Haven't read much about her. Anyone else recruit her?

Not happy to not hear anything from Westbrook after her visit.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 05/01/19 4:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Good luck to her.

Anna MAKURAT
SHOOTING GUARD

What do i know, other than she looks pretty good in the highlight reels vs other slow white chicks. Laughing

It's not the size we need, but it's a shot in the arm, and should help avoid a Return to 2005.

I've seen 1 game video. She's a vg passer and her court movement has similarities to DT.

PostPosted: 05/01/19 6:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Good luck to her.

Anna MAKURAT
SHOOTING GUARD

We might land Westbrook and we might not. With that being said, would you want to be the #2 overall recruit and the best player on Tennessee who announces a transfer to UCONN and then stay on campus to finish out your finals and sophomore year of college?

przemoe

PostPosted: 05/02/19 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well honestly I had no idea I'd live up to the day when not only a Polish player but a girl from my city would end up as a Husky. This came out two days ago and I'm still amazed.

First of all Ania has been playing pro last two years in Gdynia ending up with 3rd place this year. Most of the season she was a starter and logged many minutes on the floor. Recalling last season she definately buffed her physical game. She's generally a SG, but plays also SF and can help on the point. She shoots not only from perimiter but can also manage 1v1 or postup. At 18 she's already considered one of the best Polish players. Many compare her to Agnieszka Bibrzycka and it's been same story with her talents in Gdynia in early 2000s. She never went for any NCAA play, dunno if there was ever such talk, so this call from Geno is huge.
She's hard working girl, we're sad here she left, but on the other hand she may become a new Biba and return to help national team.

I'm completely unfamiliar with ncaa rules, this signing means what? She's on a 12 player roster or this is a bigger group of girls that Geno picks from? How many signings per year can a team make? When does the season starts? September/October?

http://www.bigdynia.pl - Basket Gdynia
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 05/02/19 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno pulls in a grad transfer from Murray State

Just typing in that sentence feels funny.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-sp-uconn-women-evelyn-adebayo-20190502-20190502-fryph6pvsjfhxkptngwmcyfi3a-story.html%3foutputType=amp

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 05/02/19 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah baby, yeah!

Watching the vid....finally, a body with meat on the bones, and a natural rebounder.

Not fast but has great instinct, imo, and is good with both hands.

PostPosted: 05/02/19 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

przemoe wrote:

I'm completely unfamiliar with ncaa rules, this signing means what? She's on a 12 player roster or this is a bigger group of girls that Geno picks from? How many signings per year can a team make? When does the season starts? September/October?

NCAA rules allow up to 15 on a roster. UConn has a history of keeping the size of their roster down to 9-12. The roster is the roster, all able to suit up and play every game. There is no limit to the number of signings in any year but most teams sign 2-4.

Hope all her games are available in Poland on ESPN+.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 05/02/19 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. this player came out of nowhere. Put up good stats even against SEC opponents. Perfect gap filler for a year for a roster desperately needing depth and rebounding.

If we can get Westbrook, we will have a roster of 11 that can keep us in the Final 4 hunt. Something not seemingly possible a week ago.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 05/03/19 6:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
przemoe wrote:

NCAA rules allow up to 15 on a roster. UConn has a history of keeping the size of their roster down to 9-12. The roster is the roster, all able to suit up and play every game. There is no limit to the number of signings in any year but most teams sign 2-4.

Hope all her games are available in Poland on ESPN+.

Official regular season games begin around November 15th.

PostPosted: 05/07/19 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe today is the last day of exams at UTenn.

Here's hoping today is the day...

PostPosted: 05/07/19 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A video of UConn's incoming freshman from Poland, Anna Makurat:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AqZ13oGRPM4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And one of grad transfer from Murray State (via Gardner-Webb and London), Evelyn Adebayo:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q-CmT_k0aX8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
linkster

PostPosted: 05/07/19 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I believe today is the last day of exams at UTenn.

Here's hoping today is the day...

I read somewhere that if Westbrook has to sit a year she could enter the draft in a year and never play a game for whomever gives her a scholarship.

Food for thought.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/08/19 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Raoul said Adebayo was going to Rutgers? Or was that someone else?

PostPosted: 05/08/19 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Don't know anything about Raoul, but HERE'S what the player says.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/09/19 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Where? Didn't come through on my feed.

PostPosted: 05/09/19 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Where? Didn't come through on my feed.

"I am grateful and thankful to announce my commitment to play at UConn!! I thank God, and give All The Glory to him! I also thank my family, and everyone that has helped me and been a part of my journey! The grind continues, and I’m happy to be a Husky!!"

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 05/10/19 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YES!

Now if we can forge MM's name on the waiver app....

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 5 of 19

Jump to: