RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

UConn 2019-2020
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5673
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/19 5:48 pm    ::: UConn 2019-2020 Reply Reply with quote

This thread is to discuss all things UConn for the 2019-2020 year.

The bad news: 4,743 points graduate. Katie Lou Samuelson and Napheesa Collier were both three time All-Americans. Both hit UConn’s record books together multiple times, each finishing in the top five on the all-time scoring list, top 10 in career scoring average, and top 10 in field goals made. Collier finished her career with the third-highest field goal percentage in program history, and landed in the top five in rebounds and top 10 in blocks. Samuelson made the second most 3's, as well as making the top five in free throw percentage and top 10 in 3-point percentage.

The indeterminate news: Incoming will be only one player, 6-0 wing Aubrey Griffin, discussed extensively in last year's thread. UConn lost out big, and unexpectedly, on the local and powerful paint player Aliyah Boston, who chose South Carolina; and, less unexpectedly, on the consensus #1 rated high school player, Haley Jones, who chose local Stanford. Based on the facts that the lower tier Griffin was the only other recruit and that Samantha Brunelle had her offer withdrawn or abandoned, my guess is that Geno was surprised by losing one or both of Boston and Jones.

I think it's objectively realistic to expect this year's team to be the least dominant since 2006, and with an even thinner bench than this past season, unless there are last minute transfers or foreign legions. The team will, of course, still be very good and likely somewhere in the top 10.
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 11825
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/19 8:43 pm    ::: Re: UConn 2019-2020 Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
expect this year's team to be the least dominant since 2006, and with an even thinner bench than this past season, unless there are last minute transfers or foreign legions.



I expect them.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 8557
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/19 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wasn't there just a foreign guard signed for 2020 or next season?



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
acsuc99



Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 683



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/19 11:45 pm    ::: Re: UConn 2019-2020 Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
expect this year's team to be the least dominant since 2006, and with an even thinner bench than this past season, unless there are last minute transfers or foreign legions.



I expect them.


There better be. Isn't the roaster at 9 players?

I still can't get over The Boner during Anriel Howard's visit last year. Howard was literally EXACTLY what we needed after Azura left and we her needed desperately.

"She doesn't seem like a UConn type player to me..."

Sigh. Our fans and coaches better stop being so inflexible when it comes to who we let in this program. We need some help for next year. And we need some players with SWAG and no FEAR.


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 11825
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/08/19 11:56 pm    ::: Re: UConn 2019-2020 Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
expect this year's team to be the least dominant since 2006, and with an even thinner bench than this past season, unless there are last minute transfers or foreign legions.



I expect them.


There better be. Isn't the roaster at 9 players?

I still can't get over The Boner during Anriel Howard's visit last year. Howard was literally EXACTLY what we needed after Azura left and we her needed desperately.

"She doesn't seem like a UConn type player to me..."

Sigh. Our fans and coaches better stop being so inflexible when it comes to who we let in this program. We need some help for next year. And we need some players with SWAG and no FEAR.


I wanted her desperately. She's everything no one else on the team was, imo.

We need size ffs!



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
acsuc99



Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Posts: 683



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/19 12:04 am    ::: Re: UConn 2019-2020 Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
expect this year's team to be the least dominant since 2006, and with an even thinner bench than this past season, unless there are last minute transfers or foreign legions.



I expect them.


There better be. Isn't the roaster at 9 players?

I still can't get over The Boner during Anriel Howard's visit last year. Howard was literally EXACTLY what we needed after Azura left and we her needed desperately.

"She doesn't seem like a UConn type player to me..."

Sigh. Our fans and coaches better stop being so inflexible when it comes to who we let in this program. We need some help for next year. And we need some players with SWAG and no FEAR.


I wanted her desperately. She's everything no one else on the team was, imo.

We need size ffs!


She was literally the only thing possible that could have helped us survive the Stevens loss and remain a legit title contender. Inexcusable to let her leave campus without a commitment. And the Boner was like poo pooing her from the start because she was a glamour girl. Insanity.

If we keep being that inflexible we are screwed in this new age. This isn't the Pat Summitt age of REBOUND! Or when top talent was flocking to play for...GAIL "Let's Have Fun" GOESTENKORS.

Muff. Kim. Vic. Kelly. Walz. Video V. Dawn. And others can COACH. And are getting good players. Players are getting better. Winning championships will get increasingly harder. Adapt or get passed by. Kim bringing in a 5th year transfer won them that title.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9866



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/19 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just don't forget that Azzi Fudd, player of the year as a sophomore in high school, is closely connected to Paige Bueckers, who has already committed to UConn.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 1506
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/19 9:27 am    ::: Re: UConn 2019-2020 Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
expect this year's team to be the least dominant since 2006, and with an even thinner bench than this past season, unless there are last minute transfers or foreign legions.



I expect them.


There better be. Isn't the roaster at 9 players?

I still can't get over The Boner during Anriel Howard's visit last year. Howard was literally EXACTLY what we needed after Azura left and we her needed desperately.

"She doesn't seem like a UConn type player to me..."

Sigh. Our fans and coaches better stop being so inflexible when it comes to who we let in this program. We need some help for next year. And we need some players with SWAG and no FEAR.


I wanted her desperately. She's everything no one else on the team was, imo.

We need size ffs!


She was literally the only thing possible that could have helped us survive the Stevens loss and remain a legit title contender. Inexcusable to let her leave campus without a commitment. And the Boner was like poo pooing her from the start because she was a glamour girl. Insanity.

If we keep being that inflexible we are screwed in this new age. This isn't the Pat Summitt age of REBOUND! Or when top talent was flocking to play for...GAIL "Let's Have Fun" GOESTENKORS.

Muff. Kim. Vic. Kelly. Walz. Video V. Dawn. And others can COACH. And are getting good players. Players are getting better. Winning championships will get increasingly harder. Adapt or get passed by. Kim bringing in a 5th year transfer won them that title.


+1

I actually hope/think a light bulb might've gone off for Geno, re: this recruiting mess. I mean, CW is playing with that cross tattoo on her neck, so it's changed a little bit.

Maybe I'm eternally the optimist, but we will have one hell of a backcourt next year. I could easily see a sophomore leap like Lou/Pheesa for CW. She really is that good. If ONO can learn not to shoot layups from her hip, that'd be great too. Her improvement will be the difference between a S16 loss and a possible trip to the FF.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5673
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/19 12:06 pm    ::: Re: UConn 2019-2020 Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
If ONO can learn not to shoot layups from her hip, that'd be great too.


I'm glad someone else notices this very counterproductive habit.

I was very high on ONO before she began UConn play and have been reluctant all season to post my two primary disappointments. First, she doesn't seem to have a good shooting touch from distance and hence is reluctant to shoot jumpers. This deficiency also shows up in her abysmal FT% of .534, which is particularly distressing because she has the ability to draw lots of fouls, and in fact drew the third most on the team (94) even in limited minutes.

Second, she holds the ball too low when going up for a shot -- yes, by her hip -- and brings it down too low on rebounds, allowing herself to get blocked and stripped by short defenders even on easy layups.

I certainly hope both of these deficiencies can be improved with coaching and practice, especially because ONO will be a starter this season and the only height.

Her third problem was committing too many fouls, but she seems to be getting that tendency under control.

I also reacted negatively every time I heard announcers say that the upside of Samuelson's back injury was that it gave ONO the opportunity for more minutes and experience. Geno could have played her many more minutes during virtually any game of the season even if Samuelson and everyone else were perfectly healthy. He chose not to.
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4024



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/09/19 2:51 pm    ::: Re: UConn 2019-2020 Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:
If ONO can learn not to shoot layups from her hip, that'd be great too.


I'm glad someone else notices this very counterproductive habit.

I was very high on ONO before she began UConn play and have been reluctant all season to post my two primary disappointments. First, she doesn't seem to have a good shooting touch from distance and hence is reluctant to shoot jumpers. This deficiency also shows up in her abysmal FT% of .534, which is particularly distressing because she has the ability to draw lots of fouls, and in fact drew the third most on the team (94) even in limited minutes.

Second, she holds the ball too low when going up for a shot -- yes, by her hip -- and brings it down too low on rebounds, allowing herself to get blocked and stripped by short defenders even on easy layups.

I certainly hope both of these deficiencies can be improved with coaching and practice, especially because ONO will be a starter this season and the only height.

Her third problem was committing too many fouls, but she seems to be getting that tendency under control.

I also reacted negatively every time I heard announcers say that the upside of Samuelson's back injury was that it gave ONO the opportunity for more minutes and experience. Geno could have played her many more minutes during virtually any game of the season even if Samuelson and everyone else were perfectly healthy. He chose not to.


Good observations. But I fail to see how more game minutes would help those things you mention, which are better dealt with in practice. If you foul too much in games more minutes isn't going to help except to foul you out sooner.


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 11825
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/19 7:27 am    ::: Re: UConn 2019-2020 Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ucbart wrote:
If ONO can learn not to shoot layups from her hip, that'd be great too.


I'm glad someone else notices this very counterproductive habit.

I was very high on ONO before she began UConn play and have been reluctant all season to post my two primary disappointments. First, she doesn't seem to have a good shooting touch from distance and hence is reluctant to shoot jumpers. This deficiency also shows up in her abysmal FT% of .534, which is particularly distressing because she has the ability to draw lots of fouls, and in fact drew the third most on the team (94) even in limited minutes.

Second, she holds the ball too low when going up for a shot -- yes, by her hip -- and brings it down too low on rebounds, allowing herself to get blocked and stripped by short defenders even on easy layups.

I certainly hope both of these deficiencies can be improved with coaching and practice, especially because ONO will be a starter this season and the only height.

Her third problem was committing too many fouls, but she seems to be getting that tendency under control.

I also reacted negatively every time I heard announcers say that the upside of Samuelson's back injury was that it gave ONO the opportunity for more minutes and experience. Geno could have played her many more minutes during virtually any game of the season even if Samuelson and everyone else were perfectly healthy. He chose not to.


She shoots like she's still a toddler heaving the too big basketball toward the rim. It's an amazingly poor mechanic, and I have to think she's had worthless coaches throughout her career. Or, she refused to listen to them.

With more strength as well as an improved shot mechanic, she can be more than just serviceable, imo.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17866
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/19 1:08 pm    ::: Re: UConn 2019-2020 Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
She shoots like she's still a toddler heaving the too big basketball toward the rim. It's an amazingly poor mechanic, and I have to think she's had worthless coaches throughout her career. Or, she refused to listen to them.

With more strength as well as an improved shot mechanic, she can be more than just serviceable, imo.


It might be more instinctual than instructional.

When I am just hitting/rallying in tennis, my groundstrokes are much better and I see the ball ever so quicker.

When I play matches in my league (it is a gay tennis league in Phoenix; doubles matches on Friday and Sunday nights; one set, rotate partners for another set; play ends after two hours), I become so focused on winning that I turn into Serena Williams going for a massive winner...except I do it on every point --- trying to muscle the shot, using a huge backswing, frequently losing sight of the ball's position, where on my racquet the ball will make/is making contact, and where the ball is being struck relative to my side (in front or behind me, above or below my shoulder, etc.).

It could be that ONO resorts to bad habits in the context of a game --- similar to how certain post players get a rebound and constantly bring the ball down, making it easier for the opposition to recover (and defend/block the shot).

And while those habits may work against lesser competition, she will discover that better players/teams will scout her and be able to defend her well --- which means she either needs to work on her form or come up with moves, countermoves, and counter-countermoves (or a combination of both).

Or cthskzfn could be correct...she has not worked with a shot doctor or has not had a coach who worked with her in terms of one-on-one instruction to improve her mechanics.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4024



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/19 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From these HS scouting reports from Dan Olson it's been no secret that she came in with what he kindly described as an "emerging offense". What is also obvious watching her in the last 10 games or so is that she is going to develop into an intimidating presence on defense and an excellent rebounder. My complaint is her habit of committing useless fouls. Bu that I chalk up to inexperience.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/215965/olivia-nelson-ododa

Quote:
Blue Star Nationals-July 2016: Superior mobility, length, wingspan, shot blocking presence; explosive leaper, defends out of area; offensive arsenal continues to emerge; emerging as one of the elite prospects in the class of 2018. (Olson)

USA Trials-May 2016: Explosive in the key with a quickly emerging offensive game; stretches the defender to the arc complemented by soft touch in the key; active, plays at the rim; superb mobility and lateral quickness; continues to emerge as one of the elite prospects in the class of 2018. (Olson)

Boo Williams Invitational-April 2016: Ultra-athletic post performer with superior length, wingspan; quick-leaper, shot blocker with superb mobility in uptempo game; cleans glass and initiates fast break; developing offensive game consistency; a high-major prospect that breaks the ceiling on potential. (Olson)

Battle-in-the-'Boro-July 2015: Explosively athletic interior prospect with off-the-charts potential; quick-leaper, shot blocker defends the key; lateral quickness, wingspan alters shots, disrupts on key; superb in uptempo game; emerging offensive threat; among the stock-risers of the 2018 class. (Olson)
[/quote]


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5419
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/11/19 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, UConn fans....name your starting lineup for next year!



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 11825
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/11/19 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
OK, UConn fans....name your starting lineup for next year!



Easy, assuming no further roster additions:

Dangerfield
Williams
Griffin
Walker
Yoko

Solid top 10 team.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5673
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/11/19 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
OK, UConn fans....name your starting lineup for next year!



Easy, assuming no further roster additions:

Dangerfield
Williams
Griffin
Walker
Yoko

Solid top 10 team.


Yes, easy. There are only nine players, so a different way of determining the starting lineup is that it won't be benchies Camara, Bent, Irwin or Coombs.

Although, I could see Geno fake-starting the senior Irwin over the freshman Aubrey Griffin, at least for the first part of the season. Geno has a long history of fake-starting lesser players.
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 11825
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/11/19 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Although, I could see Geno fake-starting the senior Irwin over the freshman Aubrey Griffin, at least for the first part of the season. Geno has a long history of fake-starting lesser players.


Indeed. I will puke if Irwin starts other than due to injury or Senior Night.

Noting Geno's history, I will have a nearby barf bag on game nights.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5419
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/11/19 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
OK, UConn fans....name your starting lineup for next year!



Easy, assuming no further roster additions:

Dangerfield
Williams
Griffin
Walker
Yoko

Solid top 10 team.


Yoko?



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 1506
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/11/19 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
OK, UConn fans....name your starting lineup for next year!



Easy, assuming no further roster additions:

Dangerfield
Williams
Griffin
Walker
Yoko

Solid top 10 team.


Yoko?


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Yoko-Olivia Nelson-Ododa


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5419
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/19 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
OK, UConn fans....name your starting lineup for next year!



Easy, assuming no further roster additions:

Dangerfield
Williams
Griffin
Walker
Yoko

Solid top 10 team.


Yoko?


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Yoko-Olivia Nelson-Ododa


Yeah, well, it took me until later in the day but I did figure it out finally. In my defense, I was DOING MY TAXES.


You can stop laughing now. Sad



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
uconnfan1



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 64



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/19 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is going on with Camara? She should be over her injuries. She had a good Freshmen year at Kentucky.

When she decided to Xfr to UConn, I thought she would be the rebounding presence the team needed.


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 12058
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/19 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Just don't forget that Azzi Fudd, player of the year as a sophomore in high school, is closely connected to Paige Bueckers, who has already committed to UConn.


Bite your tongue, Mr. Clay! How could anyone bearing the name "Azzi" go ANYwhere else but Stanford??? That would be like an upcoming star whose parents named her "Taurasi" going to Baylor or Notre Dame. Razz

Frankly, y'all know *I* subscribe to the Marie Antoinette philosophy: "Let the Husky fans eat cake". Laughing Yes, Geno is pretty brilliant, but....it's nice to see him have 'regular' kids to work with.

In that vein, we now see Dawn with the #1 recruiting class....how will that play out? I'd have concerns about all of that, with her mass exodus of other GOOD players (Kiki, T'ea), etc. I have a feeling Tara will more likely be favored to make the #2 incoming class into a greater Final Product. Coaching counts.



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5673
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/12/19 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
*I* subscribe to the Marie Antoinette philosophy: "Let the Husky fans eat cake".


Good one. Elite in fact. But French history surely reveals that you have the wrong cake eaters. There were no husky dogs in Paris during Marie's time. What loomed large over her entire life? Notre Dame, of course!
ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 1506
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/13/19 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

uconnfan1 wrote:
What is going on with Camara? She should be over her injuries. She had a good Freshmen year at Kentucky.

When she decided to Xfr to UConn, I thought she would be the rebounding presence the team needed.


I think her injuries are ones that make players retire at an early age. Somewhere this year, maybe on the Geno Auriemma show on SNY, he talked about not knowing from a day to day basis whether or not Camara could go. You can see her natural talent when she is on the floor. I feel bad for her.


SDHoops



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 923



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/13/19 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
uconnfan1 wrote:
What is going on with Camara? She should be over her injuries. She had a good Freshmen year at Kentucky.

When she decided to Xfr to UConn, I thought she would be the rebounding presence the team needed.


I think her injuries are ones that make players retire at an early age. Somewhere this year, maybe on the Geno Auriemma show on SNY, he talked about not knowing from a day to day basis whether or not Camara could go. You can see her natural talent when she is on the floor. I feel bad for her.

When she played against Baylor, I think she showed that she could play at this level..then as time went on you could see a big drop off. It makes sense with injuries mentioned, some players could only go for a few minutes at a time.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin