RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2019-2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 12/17/19 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Howee wrote:
I'd rate her as a combination of Ann Strother and Shea Ralph. And Charde Houston.

i've been trying for 24 hours, but i can't find any Annie in Walker.

24 MINUTES is too long to ponder this one, baby....you totally missed the facetious nature of my response. Laughing

PostPosted: 12/17/19 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what is the surgery Geno is going to have? Anybody know anything?

nvm: I see it has to do with diverticulitis.

Best wishes and fast recovery for Geno.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/18/19 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Diverticulitis surgery

Quote:
The two main types of surgery for diverticulitis are:

Bowel resection with primary anastomosis: In this procedure, your surgeon removes any infected colon (known as a colectomy) and sews together the cut ends of the two healthy pieces from either side of the previously infected area (anastomosis).

Bowel resection with colostomy: For this procedure, your surgeon performs a colectomy and connects your bowel through an opening in your abdomen (colostomy). This opening is called a stoma. Your surgeon may do a colostomy if there’s too much colon inflammation. Depending upon how well you recover over the next few months, the colostomy may be either temporary or permanent.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/18/19 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Diverticulitis surgery

Quote:

Bowel resection with primary anastomosis: In this procedure, your surgeon removes any infected colon (known as a colectomy) and sews together the cut ends of the two healthy pieces from either side of the previously infected area (anastomosis).

Bowel resection with colostomy: For this procedure, your surgeon performs a colectomy and connects your bowel through an opening in your abdomen (colostomy). This opening is called a stoma. Your surgeon may do a colostomy if there’s too much colon inflammation. Depending upon how well you recover over the next few months, the colostomy may be either temporary or permanent.

Wishing him well. As someone who had a variant of this surgery 7 years ago, I can tell you it is NOT a walk in the park, and he may be out quite a bit longer than anticipated, especially if the doc gets in there and finds unexpected stuff, as mine did. He will have a lot of discomfort, and I hope his legendary stubbornness does NOT include not taking his pain meds as instructed! Get well soon, Geno, and all the best to you!

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/18/19 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Howee wrote:
I'd rate her as a combination of Ann Strother and Shea Ralph. And Charde Houston.

i've been trying for 24 hours, but i can't find any Annie in Walker.

24 MINUTES is too long to ponder this one, baby....you totally missed the facetious nature of my response. Laughing

Ok, ya got me. Very Happy

PostPosted: 12/18/19 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Diverticulitis surgery

Quote:

Wishing him well. As someone who had a variant of this surgery 7 years ago, I can tell you it is NOT a walk in the park, and he may be out quite a bit longer than anticipated, especially if the doc gets in there and finds unexpected stuff, as mine did. He will have a lot of discomfort, and I hope his legendary stubbornness does NOT include not taking his pain meds as instructed! Get well soon, Geno, and all the best to you!

Oh boy, i get to again say I had a colon resection, to remove malignant tumor the size of a peach, 15 yrs ago.

Luckily, no bag, no chemo, no radiation. Just had my nth ass scope since 2004, last Halloween (yes, they scared the shit out of me), and all is still clear, knock on wood.

If they have to slice geno as they did me, I doubt he'll be back for a couple weeks at least. Hopefully, he can have an arthroscopic procedure instead.

PostPosted: 12/18/19 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Diverticulitis surgery

Quote:

Oh boy, i get to again say I had a colon resection, to remove malignant tumor the size of a peach, 15 yrs ago.

Luckily, no bag, no chemo, no radiation. Just had my nth ass scope since 2004, last Halloween (yes, they scared the shit out of me), and all is still clear, knock on wood.

If they have to slice geno as they did me, I doubt he'll be back for a couple weeks at least. Hopefully, he can have an arthroscopic procedure instead.

I have you beat in the citrus bowl, Cth - my malignant tumor was the size of a grapefruit. Mine was connected to my ovary but due to proximity, it had to be peeled off plenty of intestines. I second the thought that it might take more than a minute for Geno to get back on the sidelines. 45 years later, I am only now in the best health I've been in since age 20.

~rAf
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/19/19 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Diverticulitis surgery

Quote:

I have you beat in the citrus bowl, Cth - my malignant tumor was the size of a grapefruit. Mine was connected to my ovary but due to proximity, it had to be peeled off plenty of intestines. I second the thought that it might take more than a minute for Geno to get back on the sidelines. 45 years later, I am only now in the best health I've been in since age 20.

I gladly lose to you on that one. Laughing

PostPosted: 12/19/19 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/article/UConn-s-Geno-Auriemma-will-miss-Sunday-s-game-14918513.php?src=nhrhpcp

Quote:
UConn’s statement said the minimally-invasive procedure — performed by Dr. David W. McFadden, chair of the Department of Surgery at UConn Health and Dr. Eric Girard — was successful.
[/quote]

PostPosted: 12/19/19 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Diverticulitis surgery

Quote:

I gladly lose to you on that one. Laughing

If they start removing chitlins (as my daughter refers to them), it will be more than a scope job. I had a lot of scar tissue to be removed when they got in there, and a kidney blockage to be resolved, so I look like I got in a knife fight with a surgeon and lost. I do hope Geno has less to deal with, but it sounds like he'll be sidelined for at least a couple of weeks, maybe more.

PostPosted: 12/19/19 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/article/UConn-s-Geno-Auriemma-will-miss-Sunday-s-game-14918513.php?src=nhrhpcp

Quote:
UConn’s statement said the minimally-invasive procedure — performed by Dr. David W. McFadden, chair of the Department of Surgery at UConn Health and Dr. Eric Girard — was successful.
[/quote]

glad to hear the "minimally-invasive" part. Sounds like it wasn't major...though, as my brother says, "MINOR surgery is always something that happens to somebody else"

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/19/19 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I interpret "minimally invasive" to mean laparoscopic surgery rather than open surgery, not necessarily a description of what exactly was done after the surgeons got in there. Dr. David McFadden is highly credentialed and honored as both a general surgeon and oncology surgeon, so there's no telling exactly what was done unless Geno makes the details public.
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/30/19 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-sp-ap-poll-uconn-women-20191231-20191230-bjvdag7w2bgs5f5pp65sp5knfq-story.html

Quote:
The UConn women finished off the decade in the same spot where they began — No. 1 in The Associated Press women’s college basketball poll.

Quote:
It's been some decade for the Huskies: five national championships, a total of 17 losses and all 194 weeks ranked in the top five. UConn has been the No. 1 team in the Top 25 in 111 of them, a run that included an 111-game winning streak.

PostPosted: 01/02/20 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-sp-ap-poll-uconn-women-20191231-20191230-bjvdag7w2bgs5f5pp65sp5knfq-story.html

Quote:
The UConn women finished off the decade in the same spot where they began — No. 1 in The Associated Press women’s college basketball poll.

Quote:
It's been some decade for the Huskies: five national championships, a total of 17 losses and all 194 weeks ranked in the top five. UConn has been the No. 1 team in the Top 25 in 111 of them, a run that included an 111-game winning streak.

Can't be overstated how rare and impressive this is. The true GOATs.

The thing about this year's Huskies team, is that while they may not have the experience, the chemistry, or the Stewart/Moore/Taurasi-type player on the roster like years past (which put together makes them much more prone to a loss against any given opponent in general), they at least put out a much more conventional starting lineup than the past couple years' teams. No one starter is playing out of position (to me), which doesn't make them prone to certain teams that could really exploit those kind of oddities. And there's still plenty of talent, with a bench contributor or two every game. God forbid anyone gets injured, I for one won't be surprised at all if they end up winning it all, and will be surprised if they don't at least continue their streak of Final 4's, especially if this unit collectively improves as the season goes on.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/07/20 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone please tell me how we can beat Baylor...

PostPosted: 01/07/20 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

In brief, do what you do, do well. Team ball on both ends. Be smarter than them. Back doors. Frustrate them just a little and that will throw them off. Have bad fans yell bad things at them. (ok, maybe not too bad, but obnoxious). Keep Ododa out of foul trouble. Defend Juicy. All doable.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 01/07/20 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

First UConn has to stay out of foul trouble. S car and Baylor combined for 39 fouls but UConn can't afford that sort of game.

Often these games are lost rather than won. How can Baylor beat themselves?

1. Baylor will be playing their second true away game. There were about 3K at the Okl game (BU's first road game) and there will be about 13K at the XL.

2. Cox was great as a 4 last year. Can she carry the weight of banging inside that Brown did so dominantly last year? Last year at Baylor Brown had 22 point and 17 boards while Cox had 9 points and 7 boards. One also has to question Cox's conditioning at this point. Baylor has other posts but no one even approaching the level of Brown. Or Cox for that matter.

3. Is Cooper as good a pg as Jackson? Will she focus on duplicating her career high scoring? Can Juicy hit a dozen 3's?

UConn is also filled with questions on both offense and defense. The team that executes the best will win.

The big question is will Mulkey be wearing a jacket? Will it have studs or sharp edges?

I expect that both teams will exit this game with lots to work on.

Last edited by linkster on 01/07/20 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
bullsky

PostPosted: 01/07/20 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Beating Baylor comes down to two things: Keeping ONO on the court and limiting turnovers. If we can do that, I think we have a chance. Baylor's pre-conference schedule was cupcake city, as usual.

PostPosted: 01/07/20 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bullsky wrote:
Beating Baylor comes down to two things: Keeping ONO on the court and limiting turnovers. If we can do that, I think we have a chance. Baylor's pre-conference schedule was cupcake city, as usual.

What does pre-conference schedule have to do with anything? Baylor won’t be prepared for a high level team like Uconn? UConn hasn’t played any elite teams. This will be the first one.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/07/20 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully UConn won't shit their pants this year.

I don't believe either team is as good as they were the last time they met, and I think Baylor has a clear match-up advantage again, albeit a bit less than last year.

If Richards contains Walker, it will be tough for UConn to win, imo, and I suppose she will. She's bigger, stronger, faster.

I consider Jackson better than Cooper, but Cooper has a 3/1 A/TO ratio.

The good news is Baylor, as per usual, doesn't kill you from 3. That's the opening for UConn, imo. They need to make a shitload of long balls to have a chance.

I'm hoping for a huge game from Williams.

I suppose if Yoko sits early/often, it's moot anyway,.

Expect Baylor to knock CT from the top spot for the 2nd straight year. Mad

PostPosted: 01/07/20 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
bullsky wrote:

What does pre-conference schedule have to do with anything? Baylor won’t be prepared for a high level team like Uconn? UConn hasn’t played any elite teams. This will be the first one.

Baylor did play S Carolina, the only true test for either team. They lost, and by 15. I don't remember the game but the second half score was 36-24. Hard to compare because S Carolina has a huge low post presence, something UConn lacks.

UConn's biggest edge is they are home. And I'll be there giving the Bears the evil eye. Wink

linkster

PostPosted: 01/07/20 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Hopefully UConn won't shit their pants this year.

I don't believe either team is as good as they were the last time they met, and I think Baylor has a clear match-up advantage again, albeit a bit less than last year.

If Richards contains Walker, it will be tough for UConn to win, imo, and I suppose she will. She's bigger, stronger, faster.

I consider Jackson better than Cooper, but Cooper has a 3/1 A/TO ratio.

The good news is Baylor, as per usual, doesn't kill you from 3. That's the opening for UConn, imo. They need to make a shitload of long balls to have a chance.

I'm hoping for a huge game from Williams.

I suppose if Yoko sits early/often, it's moot anyway,.

I'd take Baylor and 2 pts. However Cooper wasn't so good vs S Carolina. 4 assists and 6 to's. Let's hope she is thinking about putting on another show ala Okl and bombs.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/07/20 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Each team will be facing the best defense it has seen so far, and each may have trouble scoring inside on half court plays. Thus it may come down to whoever is hot on three point shots.
Howee

PostPosted: 01/07/20 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Hopefully UConn won't shit their pants this year........

Are you *jinxing*, ct? Razz

I think it's precious how some of you UConn fans are clutching your pearls over the possibility of a loss to a top 10 team. Laughing

PostPosted: 01/07/20 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Hopefully UConn won't shit their pants this year........

Are you *jinxing*, ct? Razz

I think it's precious how some of you UConn fans are clutching your pearls over the possibility of a loss to a top 10 team. Laughing

We know the difference between knowing we are the best team and knowing when we are just as or more flawed as others. It's just we don't experience the latter case very often. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 15 of 19

Jump to: