RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2019-2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 11/02/19 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Speebs56 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
GUESS YOU HAVE TO BE A RICH WHITE GIRL AND GO PLAY FOR MUFFIE TO GET A GOSH DAMN WAIVER.SMH!!!!

I sort of doubt that Jessica Shepard is rich...
However, I thought the coaching change was typically grounds for granting waiver. Or is THAT as arbitrary as the NCAA chooses?

Elizabeth Balogun and Elizabeth Dixon received waivers to play immediately for Louisville this year

....and Destiny Littleton did NOT get one for SC. Life will go on, disappointments 'n all.

PostPosted: 11/02/19 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just wish there was some consistency in NCAA policy - but since there isn't, it leaves us to speculate on whys. Or why nots.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/02/19 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
I just wish there was some consistency in NCAA policy - but since there isn't, it leaves us to speculate on whys. Or why nots.

IDK, it looks like if you declare your intent to transfer after the coach you committed to is no longer at the school, you have a better chance to play right away (Romero, Shepard, Dixon, Balogun, etc).

If you shit on the coach you committed to, not so much (Westbrook).

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/03/19 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And remind me again why any athlete has to sit out when coaches and administrators don't? (And why drama students and musicians can participate in revenue-generating activities and competitions without any outside approval?)

PostPosted: 11/03/19 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, FFS Clay, get over it.

PostPosted: 11/03/19 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Reverse the role and the Lady Vols would be sh***ing bricks.

linkster

PostPosted: 11/03/19 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess UConn is still doing OK since they still get the same Sarcastic Trash-talking Bullcrap from the same poster.

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/03/19 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I guess UConn is still doing OK since they still get the same Sarcastic Trash-talking Bullcrap from the same poster.

After today's exhibition game, it is clear to me that if Evina does in fact have to sit out and this appeal doesn't work, we have exactly 6 players who will see court time this year.......AGAIN!

SDHoops

PostPosted: 11/03/19 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
linkster wrote:

After today's exhibition game, it is clear to me that if Evina does in fact have to sit out and this appeal doesn't work, we have exactly 6 players who will see court time this year.......AGAIN!

Don't read the BY forum. Apparently, UConn was upset by Jefferson University today. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/03/19 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000....

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/03/19 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

And the further news is that two three-time All-American players will be replaced in the top six by two freshman not in the ESPNW top 20.

HERE is the UConn vs. Jefferson box score and here is the full game video:

<iframe width="624" height="351" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jEnTBiVOQk0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The game was too one-sided for me to draw any firm analytical conclusions. UConn got 43 of its points off turnovers and 38 off fast breaks, so the UConn half court offense, which is what it must have to beat E8 teams, was not tested at all in this game.

Very preliminarily, Walker looked a bit sleeker and better, ONO looked a bit bulkier and better, and Williams and Dangerfield looked about the same. Makurat is bigger than I expected, seemed to have a good handle and drive, but bricked every one of her three-point shots, which she was not shy to heave up. Griffin seems to have a nose for the ball, was quick and was an effective rebounder, but had no opportunity to show an outside shot. Adebayo had trouble hitting shots from all distances but got some rebounds. Irwin was very hot from the arc, and Bent was Bent.

UConn should be good enough to make the S16 and probably the E8 if everyone stays healthy and out of foul trouble, but I can't predict beyond that. The still-developing ONO might be the key player on the team, as she's the only height and has no real backup on the bench.
PRballer

PostPosted: 11/04/19 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems as though Geno and the UConn machine is fighting this appeal via their press corps, which can either be a nice way to pressure the NCAA...or turn them off even more.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/04/19 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2021's 6-4 Amari DeBerry at UConn this past weekend with some visiting alums.

Also on an unofficial visit this weekend was 2022's 6-3 double-double machine from San Diego, Isuneh "Ice" Brady (#25).
linkster

PostPosted: 11/04/19 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Seems as though Geno and the UConn machine is fighting this appeal via their press corps, which can either be a nice way to pressure the NCAA...or turn them off even more.

It worked for Romero. And if I remember correctly the appeal is heard by a panel of AD's, who are not employees of the NCAA.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/04/19 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
PRballer wrote:

It worked for Romero. And if I remember correctly the appeal is heard by a panel of AD's, who are not employees of the NCAA.

Not the same thing.

Leticia Romero sought to transfer after coach Deb Patterson was fired. Kansas State denied her request amid concerns that members of the previous staff were trying to persuade her to follow them to another school.

Eventually, Romero was allowed to transfer to any school outside the Big 12. She picked Florida State.

The balance of power was much different in the case of Romero. At the time, Kansas State's policy stated:
"...except for the most compelling of circumstances, which place an undue burden on the student athlete, it is the policy of the department of intercollegiate athletics not to grant a release for the purposes of a transfer."

Howee

PostPosted: 11/04/19 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
linkster wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Not the same thing.

Well, of course not! Deb is not a coaching legend whose fan base expects FF every year, and not the Hot Stuff/USA Coach/Primo Ballerino Geno is.

No, wait....Romero got hers....s'posta be the other way around. Geno's losing his touch. Shocked Razz

PostPosted: 11/04/19 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
linkster wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Not the same thing.

Leticia Romero sought to transfer after coach Deb Patterson was fired. Kansas State denied her request amid concerns that members of the previous staff were trying to persuade her to follow them to another school.

Eventually, Romero was allowed to transfer to any school outside the Big 12. She picked Florida State.

The balance of power was much different in the case of Romero. At the time, Kansas State's policy stated:
"...except for the most compelling of circumstances, which place an undue burden on the student athlete, it is the policy of the department of intercollegiate athletics not to grant a release for the purposes of a transfer."

Different but it was all the publicity that led to a reversal of policy.

The phrase "except for the most compelling of circumstances, which place an undue burden on the student athlete" is a typical "escape clause" which is subject to interpretation. Despite initially saying that the phrase didn't apply in her case they later reversed their opinion. Why except for the publicity?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/05/19 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If anyone even REMEMBERS the Romero business, it was a whole different ballgame indeed. She put in for a transfer and was told no, then actually tried to stay and play for Jeff Mittie, and it was a clash of personalities or something that did not work out for either of them. The AD remained intransigent until a huge letter-writing/email campaign and the resulting publicity made KSU look bad; only then was she allowed to transfer outside the Big 12. I believe some of us may have been active in the e-mail campaign. I know I sent a pointed e-mail.

That was not this. This is Geno being whiny and trying to pull out all the stops. Tennessee did not block Evina's transfer. I suspect they were done with her attitude. I suppose Geno's next move will be opera. Rolling Eyes Please. Just deal with it.

PostPosted: 11/05/19 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
If anyone even REMEMBERS the Romero business, it was a whole different ballgame indeed. She put in for a transfer and was told no, then actually tried to stay and play for Jeff Mittie, and it was a clash of personalities or something that did not work out for either of them. The AD remained intransigent until a huge letter-writing/email campaign and the resulting publicity made KSU look bad; only then was she allowed to transfer outside the Big 12. I believe some of us may have been active in the e-mail campaign. I know I sent a pointed e-mail.

That was not this. This is Geno being whiny and trying to pull out all the stops. Tennessee did not block Evina's transfer. I suspect they were done with her attitude. I suppose Geno's next move will be opera. Rolling Eyes Please. Just deal with it.

I guess if my team wasn't relevant since 2008 then I'd be on everybody elses threads throwing shade!!! Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil You even went as far as hijacking the ESPN thread about UConn. Obsession!!

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 11/05/19 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I guess if my team wasn't relevant since 2008 then I'd be on everybody elses threads throwing shade!!! Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil You even went as far as hijacking the ESPN thread about UConn. Obsession!!

She jumped off the LV Boat several years ago. Irrelevance was too much.

PostPosted: 11/05/19 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

U mad bro? I was pointing out the DIFFERENCE between the Romero and Westbrook cases. "There is none so blind as he who will not see."

You must be stung because I suggested you get over it in another thread. I don't have a problem with Tennessee being where they are. And I'm not hijacking anything. This current discussion is about WESTBROOK'S TRANSFER. Reading is fundamental.

PostPosted: 11/05/19 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

She jumped off the LV Boat several years ago. Irrelevance was too much.

She did switch to JMU but I suspect she has a LV banner hidden in the back of a closet.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/05/19 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Relevance/irrelevance has nothing to do with anything. Some of y'all just need to get over yourselves. I still follow the Lady Vols, maybe a little more so now that Kellie's coaching. However, they're 6 hours away and not on TV so much here. I am a JMU fan because I'm here. I have season tickets and it's fun being a mid-major fan, especially when your mid-major team is pretty darn good.

PostPosted: 11/05/19 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Relevance/irrelevance has nothing to do with anything. Some of y'all just need to get over yourselves. I still follow the Lady Vols, maybe a little more so now that Kellie's coaching. However, they're 6 hours away and not on TV so much here. I am a JMU fan because I'm here. I have season tickets and it's fun being a mid-major fan, especially when your mid-major team is pretty darn good.

Now I am one who says everyone should be free to post where and what they want but not you dear. On more than one occasion you have told others that unless they are a Tenn fan they had no business posting in a Tenn game thread? Shouldn't you practice what you preach?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/05/19 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Now I am one who says everyone should be free to post where and what they want but not you dear. On more than one occasion you have told others that unless they are a Tenn fan they had no business posting in a Tenn game thread? Shouldn't you practice what you preach?

Apparently I am not free to answer what SOMEONE ELSE posted on this thread? Excuse YOU?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 13 of 19

Jump to: