RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2019-2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/24/19 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
This is an interesting subject, which we've debated before and surely will again, but I don't really think it belongs in this UConn thread.

Then will you PLEASE start a new one?

When did Glenn become a mod? Rolling Eyes

You do know that ANYONE can start a thread here....or didn't you? And likewise, anyone can comment on whether they think something belongs in a thread.

PostPosted: 05/24/19 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
If you have an academic scholarship, you can transfer to another school and continue your studies in your major.

If you have an arts scholarship, you can transfer to another school and star in the school play or display paintings right away.

Why are athletes treated differently?

When was the last time you paid to see a student art show? Do you know any undergrad instructors who make in excess of a million/yr? Does the Harford Courant assign a writer to the math dept at UConn?

There are 3 reasons. Not saying they are gppd ones. The common thread is $$$

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/24/19 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
If you have an academic scholarship, you can transfer to another school and continue your studies in your major.

If you have an arts scholarship, you can transfer to another school and star in the school play or display paintings right away.

When was the last time you paid to see a student art show? Do you know any undergrad instructors who make in excess of a million/yr? Does the Harford Courant assign a writer to the math dept at UConn?

Of course ... and the ones who create the $$$ don't get any because they are "students." If they were "students," though, they would be treated like other students.

PostPosted: 05/26/19 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Of course ... and the ones who create the $$$ don't get any because they are "students." If they were "students," though, they would be treated like other students.

Make money on the sweat of others?
Isn't that the American way?

If Stanford players were paying their own way how many would be enrolled there? And if Stanford wasn't kicking in with 5 thousand in "pocket money" some may have chosen other schools.
It's easy to see injustice looking at a few schools and the revenue they generate but if you look at wcbb in total there is little to suggest that D1 basketball is a revenue sport. Where is all the money that these players should be sharing in.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/26/19 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Make money on the sweat of others?
Isn't that the American way?

If Stanford players were paying their own way how many would be enrolled there? And if Stanford wasn't kicking in with 5 thousand in "pocket money" some may have chosen other schools.
It's easy to see injustice looking at a few schools and the revenue they generate but if you look at wcbb in total there is little to suggest that D1 basketball is a revenue sport. Where is all the money that these players should be sharing in.

Colleges generate close to a billion dollars a year, if not more, off of direct revenue, donations, increased enrollment, etc., from football and men's basketball. (I would argue that the totality of college sports generates lots of income, primarily from donors, but without football and men's basketball, it would not be close to the same amount.) Those athletes should be paid, certainly, but all athletes should have the same freedom of movement as other students, and the same freedom of movement as their coaches and administrators.

What is the justification for forcing athletes to sit for a year? If it doesn't affect revenue, then why is a drama student free to star in a play the next year at a different school but not a women's basketball player? And if it is about revenue, then why shouldn't the labor force that generates the revenue share in the income?

PostPosted: 05/26/19 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
[
What is the justification for forcing athletes to sit for a year? If it doesn't affect revenue, then why is a drama student free to star in a play the next year at a different school but not a women's basketball player? And if it is about revenue, then why shouldn't the labor force that generates the revenue share in the income?

I am not familiar with the history of the rule but I do remember there was a time when 2 of Pat Summitt's Olympic Team mates dumped the schools they were attending under scholarship right after talking to Pat at a FF, played for Pat the next season and it led to Tenn's first title. Today Pat would have committed a serious violation. I'm not sure how long after that the rule was imposed.
If the rule does anything it discourages coaches from tampering and it protects the poobahs in Indianapolis from bad PR.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/27/19 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
[

I am not familiar with the history of the rule but I do remember there was a time when 2 of Pat Summitt's Olympic Team mates dumped the schools they were attending under scholarship right after talking to Pat at a FF, played for Pat the next season and it led to Tenn's first title. Today Pat would have committed a serious violation. I'm not sure how long after that the rule was imposed.
If the rule does anything it discourages coaches from tampering and it protects the poobahs in Indianapolis from bad PR.

Aren't the "student-athletes" supposed to be the priority? Shouldn't their interests come first?

PostPosted: 05/29/19 12:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Aren't the "student-athletes" supposed to be the priority? Shouldn't their interests come first?

I applauded when Curt Flood won his case and free agency freed baseball players from serfdom but sometimes I miss the days of the Celtic dynasty. Never would have happened today because Russell and a couple others would have left for better opportunities and money, something Red hated to spend.

ucbart

PostPosted: 06/04/19 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anna MAkurat has arrived in Storrs from Poland and she is wearing #24. I feel as though it's a bit too soon for me to say goodbye to Phee and her #24 as she just cleaned out her locker. HA!

linkster

PostPosted: 06/04/19 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
linkster wrote:
ClayK wrote:
[

What does "should" have to do with it? And I'll bet that if asked, the NCAA would say that they do put the S/A first at all times.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/05/19 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

6'-7" Sedona Prince, once a UConn recruiting target before she signed with Texas, is now in the transfer portal because of, according to her, "medical reasons", which happens to be one of the primary situations in which the NCAA might waive the one year residency requirement (sit-out year) for transfers under Bylaw 14.7.2.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YdmGSJ8HO68" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/05/19 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sedona Prince on the gold medal 2018 USAB U18 team with UConn players Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Ododa. She broke her leg while playing on this team in Mexico City in a game against Puerto Rico in August 2018, and thus missed her entire freshman season at UTexas.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/05/19 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn's ONO followed by Sedona Prince dunking during U18 team warmups on August 3, 2018, which would have been the day before Prince broke her leg: Twitter video
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/14/19 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sedona Prince will be visiting UConn next week.

Crystal Dangerfield had surgery on her left hip on May 30. Evina Westbrook had surgery on her left knee on June 4. Both players are expected to return fully in four months.

All according to Carl Adamec of the Journal Inquirer.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/14/19 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sedona Prince workout:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jL70hpG9DYc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/20/19 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.theuconnblog.com/2019/6/19/18691808/uconn-huskies-womens-basketball-releases-2019-2020-non-conference-schedule?fbclid=IwAR2wJU4oxzt9m2a3vXVb-M18Ehl029jUiaFj1WZ6XqFSffotqIdoQc8zwIY

UConn Women’s Basketball 2019-2020 Non-Conference Schedule

Date Opponent Location

Nov. 10 Cal TBD

Nov. 13 @ Vanderbilt Nashville, TN

Nov. 19 Virginia TBD

Nov. 24 @ Ohio State Columbus, OH

Nov. 26 @ Dayton Dayton, OH

Dec. 4/5 @ Seton Hall South Orange, NJ

Dec. 8 Notre Dame Gampel Pavilion

Dec. 16 @ DePaul Chicago, IL

Dec. 22 Oklahoma Mohegan Sun Arena

Jan. 9 Baylor XL Center

Jan. 23 Tennessee XL Center

TBD Oregon Gampel Pavilion

TBD @ South Carolina Columbia, SC

PostPosted: 06/21/19 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Auriemma likes Westbrook’s skill set

Quote:
“I really like the way she carries herself on the court,” Auriemma said. “She knows what she’s doing, and she’s got a great tempo about her. I think this is obviously going to be a much different situation for her, so we’ll see how she adjusts to it.”

Quote:
“I think Eve’s going to be a really, really good player for us, whether this year or next year,” Auriemma said. “Is she going to be able to be all the things that (you want)? I don’t know, I don’t know. I would like to see her just be one thing at a time — be healthy, then contribute, help us win, and then whatever happens after this is on her and her personality.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 06/22/19 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-sp-uconn-big-east-conference-aac-20190622-20190622-qgewcp6jhvd5fd4lenxr5vnncm-story.html

UConn to new BEast, it seems.

PostPosted: 06/22/19 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-huskies/hc-sp-uconn-big-east-conference-aac-20190622-20190622-qgewcp6jhvd5fd4lenxr5vnncm-story.html

The article, which is behind a paywall, details the red ink status of UConn's athletic department in the AAC. This seems to be due to two things. First, insufficient revenue from the AAC conference, including TV money. Second, rising athletic costs largely due to the lousy football team but also to big losses in men's and women's basketball.

Quote:
The news of UConn being in talks with the Big East comes as the university’s athletic department grapples with a $41 million deficit during 2018, which was made up for through student fees and university subsidy.

“In recent years, declining conference and media licensing revenue, along with rising costs, have created the current deficit," a UConn spokesperson told The Courant earlier this year. "It is not sustainable and the Division of Athletics is continually working to identify savings and drive up revenue in order to help close this gap.”

The biggest individual team culprit of the UConn athletic department’s 2018 deficit was the school’s football program, which lost $8.7 million. Additionally, men’s basketball lost about $5 million, women’s basketball lost about $3.1 million and the rest of the school’s sports lost about $22.3 million among them.

UConn spent $17 million in coaches’ salaries, $16.9 million in athletic scholarships, $14.4 million in support staff and administrative compensation and $7.3 million in team travel.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 06/22/19 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is not behind a paywall:
https://deadspin.com/report-uconn-invited-to-return-to-the-big-east-and-lea-1835763263

PostPosted: 06/22/19 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, forgetting about all other sports, will the Big East be better for UConn's WBB team than the AAC? I'd be interested in opinions.

My opinion: Probably very slightly better overall.

Aside from DePaul (usually) and Marquette (the last two or three years), the BE really isn't that strong competitively. I wonder what the conference RPI of the BE is compared to the AAC RPI without UConn. (I have no idea how to calculate that.) Competitively, the two conferences may be a wash for UConn, which will dominate either.

Travel will be shorter within the BE, and there will be a return to some traditional rivals. CT fans will even be able to drive or bus to four other schools for away games.

The only advantage I ever saw for UConn in the AAC was that playing two schools in Texas and Florida, and one in Tennessee and North Carolina, gave UConn some additional recruiting presence in those basketball rich states. Those four states will disappear in the BE, but Indiana and DC/Maryland will be added.

If UConn can't get into the ACC, then AAC vs. BE is a close call to me for WBB. I'll go with BE for the more traditional geographic propinquity.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/22/19 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now a report that Sedona Prince will be visiting Notre Dame next week.

Given that UConn seems to have the same effect on elite high school Bigs that garlic has on vampires, and that Prince could start right away for the Waiving Irish, I interpret this news as quite negative for the Huskies. The reported move from AAC to BE could further hurt UConn's chances with Texan Prince, because she might never play in Texas in the BE. In addition, if she's a football fanatic, as most Austin area folks are, ND will have that appeal over UConn. Still, I think Prince has a better shot at a NC with currently depleted UConn than with currently even more depleted ND.

Further Big bad news this week is that 6-3 Angel Reese, the #2 ranked recruit in 2020 (HoopGurlz), has eliminated UConn from her top five. I've seen Reese play in a couple of games and think she has elite potential. Another Big disappointment for UConn.
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 06/22/19 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

The article, which is behind a paywall, details the red ink status of UConn's athletic department in the AAC. This seems to be due to two things. First, insufficient revenue from the AAC conference, including TV money. Second, rising athletic costs largely due to the lousy football team but also to big losses in men's and women's basketball.

Quote:
The news of UConn being in talks with the Big East comes as the university’s athletic department grapples with a $41 million deficit during 2018, which was made up for through student fees and university subsidy.

“In recent years, declining conference and media licensing revenue, along with rising costs, have created the current deficit," a UConn spokesperson told The Courant earlier this year. "It is not sustainable and the Division of Athletics is continually working to identify savings and drive up revenue in order to help close this gap.”

The biggest individual team culprit of the UConn athletic department’s 2018 deficit was the school’s football program, which lost $8.7 million. Additionally, men’s basketball lost about $5 million, women’s basketball lost about $3.1 million and the rest of the school’s sports lost about $22.3 million among them.

UConn spent $17 million in coaches’ salaries, $16.9 million in athletic scholarships, $14.4 million in support staff and administrative compensation and $7.3 million in team travel.

According to the New Haven Register:

Quote:
UConn officials privately fumed at the AAC’s recent new 12-year, $1 billion media rights deal with ESPN, which upped each school’s financial intake to about $7 million per year, but jeopardized the school’s relationship with SNY by putting a large portion of the league’s games behind the ESPN + paywall. The deal is far short of the media revenue derived by Power Five conference, significant for UConn as it deals with a more than $40 million revenue gap in the 2018 athletic budget.

The Big East’s 12-year, $500 million media rights deal with Fox Sports was signed in 2013.

https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/article/Is-UConn-heading-back-to-the-Big-East-14030270.php

My math may be old world variety, but doesn't that tell us that the Big East revenue deal brings in exactly HALF the revenue per school, that the AAC deal with ESPN will bring? I'm sure that as with other TV deals in the past with other conferences, the addition of Connecticut to the conference will mandate a contractual restructuring, and may even add more money to the pot, but enough to DOUBLE the dollar??

Plus, while the FB program was bleeding money, there had to be a factor of revenue generation for the AAC's FB programs, as CFB is the most money-mad college sport. But now with the BE being football-challenged, UConn's own FB program will have to go it alone, and will most likely hit the CT AD's pocketbook with prejudice, as a result.

But I've stated in the other thread, that IMO the Big East is a slight step up overall, as from top to bottom IMO it has more consistently successful members. Not great programs, but more teams with 19-20 wins, as opposed to 19-20 losses, compared to the AAC. But minus UConn, it's similar at the top to the AAC without UConn, with DePaul being their version of the AAC's USF......

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/23/19 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

THIS article gives more detail on why UConn is dissatisfied with the AAC's TV deal with ESPN -- namely, UConn may lose its profitable deal with SNY, which broadcasts almost all UConn WBB games, and many MBB games, in the biggest TV market in the country.
Quote:

The source of the university’s displeasure does not appear to be the paltry bump in TV revenue, but rather the tenuous fate of UConn’s partnership with SNY.

Quote:
According to Sports Business Journal ($), SNY reaches a huge cross section of viewers in the tristate area and generates over $10 million annually from its partnership with UConn. SNY gives UConn a seven-figure payout on top of the existing conference media deal and tremendous regional reach for its standout women’s basketball program — plus some football and men’s basketball games and the benefits of SNY’s non-game UConn content, which has earned effusive praise.

Losing that would hurt, and that UConn raised the issue so loudly and so quickly speaks to how big the hurt would be.

Quote:
The one common ambition of UConn and the premiere football schools in the AAC is admission to a better league. SNY expands UConn’s reach into the biggest media market in the world, enhances the value of the school’s biggest assets and gives the Huskies an enviable way to show off what is left of the heavyweight status its basketball programs have earned with decades of championships.
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 06/24/19 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
THIS article gives more detail on why UConn is dissatisfied with the AAC's TV deal with ESPN -- namely, UConn may lose its profitable deal with SNY, which broadcasts almost all UConn WBB games, and many MBB games, in the biggest TV market in the country.
Quote:

The source of the university’s displeasure does not appear to be the paltry bump in TV revenue, but rather the tenuous fate of UConn’s partnership with SNY.

Quote:
According to Sports Business Journal ($), SNY reaches a huge cross section of viewers in the tristate area and generates over $10 million annually from its partnership with UConn. SNY gives UConn a seven-figure payout on top of the existing conference media deal and tremendous regional reach for its standout women’s basketball program — plus some football and men’s basketball games and the benefits of SNY’s non-game UConn content, which has earned effusive praise.

Losing that would hurt, and that UConn raised the issue so loudly and so quickly speaks to how big the hurt would be.

Quote:
The one common ambition of UConn and the premiere football schools in the AAC is admission to a better league. SNY expands UConn’s reach into the biggest media market in the world, enhances the value of the school’s biggest assets and gives the Huskies an enviable way to show off what is left of the heavyweight status its basketball programs have earned with decades of championships.

Got it - so UConn has a sort of Texas individual thing separate from whatever it's conference affiliation gives it. So that sounds to me that this deal locks UConn into having to NOT ONLY find a bigger conference to add it's sports to, but also find a bigger conference that will pay it NOT ONLY equal to whatever it's current conference can pay, but ALSO equal to what the SNY deal pays it. Otherwise, that new conference deal is a step down - something cash-strapped UConn cannot afford. If the Big East is OK with UConn keeping their SNY TV deal, then overall it may be equal to or better than what UConn had with the AAC, pre-new ESPN deal....

But this is why I compare it with Texas' own doings: as long as UConn maintains it's personal deal with SNY, that hurts - or at best restricts - the conference it is part of in establishing deals with major TV networks, who obviously wants to add their premier basketball programs to the pot. Sounds like UConn may have somewhat painted itself into a proverbial corner, here.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 9 of 19

Jump to: