RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 Notre Dame vs #1 Baylor - 4/07/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Notre Dame
48%
 48%  [ 16 ]
Baylor
51%
 51%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 33

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/08/19 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
tfan wrote:
linkster wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Notre Dame choked this game away. So many missed FT's and empty possessions in the final quarter.

No one but Arike choked. N Dame got close and then they traded baskets until the end. Until she choked Arike was in line for MOP the way she shot, along with Mabrey. It was scripted to be another comeback win for the Irish with her as the heroine but instead, it was a surprise ending.

Missing a free throw with the ball bouncing from the back of the rim to the front and then out, is not a choke. That is, it was not a bad miss and no foul shot is a sure thing.

To be accurate, the shot was long. The ball hit the back of the rim, the front of the rim, the back of the rim and rim bracket, and then over the front of the rim. Not indicative of a calm, soft shot or near-make, especially from an 80% Free Thrower.

Making the 2nd one, when missing on purpose was the intent, is arguably an even bigger choke.

Trying to miss (and still hit the rim as you must do) when you're a good shooter is actually one of the most difficult shots to do. Ideally you want to hit the front of the rim rather than the side because that increases your odds of getting the rebound, but is even more difficult. You can't miss under and if you don't hit it square on, it can easily dribble over the top... and in. Try it sometime. It's hard!

- Amanda Gorman
acsuc99

PostPosted: 04/08/19 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game had more twist and turns than a soap opera.

Congrats to Kim and her Bears. They truly deserved it. They withstood the Cox injury and one of ND's offensive runs. No team this year could have survived both of those. The Cox injury had me in tears. After all she had been through with her health and to see her parents. Loved everything about Kim this entire season. She truly gets it. She also didn't take the male bashing bait which she EASILY could have. Baylor will always have a special place in my heart for giving Geno and the team a standing ovation in Waco. ANd yes for denying the Irish this year.

Mabrey was fantastic and almost led her team to the title and Shephard and Young are 2 of my fav ND players of all time. They have nothing to be ashamed of. A national title and almost got a 2nd. I take no joy in Arike's or the teams pain. The game was lost on more than a free throw.

I want to like Muffett. I truly do. She is a terrific coach, But her behavior this weekend was just ridiculous. The coaches jumping up and down after winning a semi-final? Irish jigging while offering little to nothing other than a handshake for KLS and Collier? Compare that to Kim with Sabrina and Arike after beating them. Or Geno with Durr. I've heard of sore losers before but sore winners? Odd and speaks to something ugly underneath the surface.

Imagine your Oregon making your first Final 4. You have a male head coach, like 2 or 3 male assistants, and you got all this Battle of the Sexes crap being thrown around off the court. Should they feel guilty that they don't have an all female staff? Are they bad people? Should they feel shame? Aren't all these coaches empowering women by giving their all for this sport? But yet Muff after her rehearsed viral rant is now the proclaimed champion of women. I found the whole vibe weird all week. This sport needs the best basketball minds in it. Period. Male. Female. Whatever. There is no doubt that hiring the best coach has done wonders for programs like Oregon, Miss State, Louisville, Oregon State, etc. Why so many old wounds and scabs were picked at this weekend is a mystery to only the woman at the helm in South Bend.

Well another great year for wimin's basketball and another epic FInal 4. ESPN will never capitalize on it though. Hoping for Sabrina and the Ducks to win next year.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 04/08/19 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Word on the Baylor forum is that Lauren Cox does not have an ACL tear. Described as MCL sprain and bone bruise -- no surgery required.

Don't know any other details but sounds like pretty good news. (someone said it's similar to what Kevin Durant experience a year or two ago)

linkster

PostPosted: 04/09/19 12:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
Word on the Baylor forum is that Lauren Cox does not have an ACL tear. Described as MCL sprain and bone bruise -- no surgery required.

Don't know any other details but sounds like pretty good news. (someone said it's similar to what Kevin Durant experience a year or two ago)

Batouly Camara is still recovering from what was diagnosed at one point as a bone bruise, 3 years ago. Wish Cox well. Love the way she plays.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/09/19 7:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Baylor's Cox won't need surgery on knee; MRI reveals MCL sprain

...She had an evaluation, including an MRI, on Monday afternoon with Dr. Brad Gilliam of Southwest Sports Medicine and Orthopedics in Waco. Gilliam determined that Cox had suffered an MCL sprain in her left knee, with bone bruising.

Despite the fact that Cox won’t need surgery, there is no timetable on her return. The recovery time for an MCL sprain varies depending on the severity of the sprain....

https://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/lady_bears_basketball/baylor-s-cox-won-t-need-surgery-on-knee-mri/article_77e453b9-f642-587b-a32e-111efcc840ee.html#tncms-source=article-nav-next

Campus celebration photos include one of Lauren Cox (and knee brace) .
https://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/lady_bears_basketball/we-brought-it-home-to-you-baylor-nation-lady-bears/article_a97e5244-4440-539a-8898-057bf42a2db1.html#tncms-source=article-nav-prev

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/19 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really glad to hear this. I was hoping against hope that it wasn't an ACL. Not that these things are easy to recover from either, and her diabetes may make recovery a bit slower.

PostPosted: 04/09/19 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i like that Muffett is using her position/tenure/podium for gender equality promotion. She's stuck her head out there. Wish this dialogue expanded beyond women's college basketball to men's college basketball, which of course is where it needs to go. Hey Coach K, Mark Few, Tony Bennett, when are you going to put a female assistant on your coaching staff?

But yea, she's not warm and fuzzy, she comes off brisk and standoffish. Even Kim comes off more likeable ( this isn't the punch them in the face Mulkey version from a few years back). But like Gino says why do people expect the women's basketball coaches to be friendly with one another.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/09/19 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The incident wasn't classic non-contact ACL. I thought it might be some kind of hyper-extended knee thing.

Here's hoping for a full recovery in time for next season.

PostPosted: 04/09/19 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
But like Gino says why do people expect the women's basketball coaches to be friendly with one another.

And what's a good reason NOT to be?? Shocked I mean, nobody expects 'em to go shoe shopping 'n get their nails done on a regular basis, but "friendly" isn't so hard.

I'd prefer the word "collegial", i.e., mutually supportive of each others' successes in a niche sport. Pat and Geno had that going for a long time.

Re: Geno and Muff....they have a long history: same hometown, worked together, etc., etc. "Friendly" shouldn't be to hard to come by.

PostPosted: 04/10/19 2:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno and Kim are collegial even to the point of joking about "checking out each other's butts". I know of no other school other than Baylor that gives Geno and the Huskies a standing ovation when they emerge from the tunnel.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/11/19 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kim looked darn good on Good Morning America. Robin Roberts teased her that, when RR was at SE La Uni and Kim was in high school, also in Hammond La, Kim got bigger headlines in the Hamond paper than Robin did.

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1116325758975143937

willtalk

PostPosted: 04/11/19 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
i like that Muffett is using her position/tenure/podium for gender equality promotion. She's stuck her head out there. Wish this dialogue expanded beyond women's college basketball to men's college basketball, which of course is where it needs to go. Hey Coach K, Mark Few, Tony Bennett, when are you going to put a female assistant on your coaching staff? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I propose it was Kim Mulkey that was proposing gender eqaulity not Muffitt.When you say you will hire exclusively one sex that is not equality but favoritism.

PostPosted: 04/11/19 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:
i like that Muffett is using her position/tenure/podium for gender equality promotion. She's stuck her head out there. Wish this dialogue expanded beyond women's college basketball to men's college basketball, which of course is where it needs to go. Hey Coach K, Mark Few, Tony Bennett, when are you going to put a female assistant on your coaching staff? -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I propose it was Kim Mulkey that was proposing gender eqaulity not Muffitt.When you say you will hire exclusively one sex that is not equality but favoritism.

Watch women's basketball coach Muffet McGraw's viral remarks on gender equality
https://mashable.com/article/muffet-mcgraw-basketball-gender-equality/#HC6v9DwTVsqR

Howee

PostPosted: 04/11/19 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was thinking of her spiel the other day and I found myself wondering...

Does Muff hire/employ MALE practice players, like so many do?? Razz Maybe she might wanna remain consistent with her philosophy, and go with Female practice players..... Shocked Razz Laughing

I mean, after all....that opportunity to play/improve against The Best Gals on campus at ND might benefit some young ladies who are not on the team, but are trying up their own games. Might that philosophy be actually detrimental to Her young team players, if she takes on female practice players?

Or are ONLY the larger, stronger, quicker male players the best answer as practice partners, i.e., Male superiority in physical skill sets IS a real *thing*, and can be a benefit to female athletes.

Inconsistencies on Reverse discrimination CAN become a *thing*, in theory at least.

PostPosted: 04/12/19 7:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As recently as 2016, there were male practice players for the Notre Dame women's basketball team.
https://und.com/news/2016/2/2/Irish_Practice_Players_They_Toil_in_Anonymity.aspx

As for male employees, Muffet said this on April 6, 2019: “I think we need more opportunities for women in coaching,” McGraw said. “I just hired a male video coordinator. I have hired a male strength coach. I’m not opposed to hiring men. I just think that women need those opportunities and those opportunities right now are going to men.”
https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/barbara-barker/notre-dame-womens-basketball-baylor-ncaa-championship-1.29472651

Howee

PostPosted: 04/12/19 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
As recently as 2016, there were male practice players for the Notre Dame women's basketball team.
https://und.com/news/2016/2/2/Irish_Practice_Players_They_Toil_in_Anonymity.aspx

Well, I was being facetious....I'd be shocked if she DIDN'T currently utilize male practice players. There ARE those times when a male is just The Best Option for a particular purpose. Cool

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/12/19 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's good for anyone to use their position to further a good cause. I'd say McGraw is a bit late to the parade, but better late than never I also say.

PostPosted: 04/12/19 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
Kim looked darn good on Good Morning America. Robin Roberts teased her that, when RR was at SE La Uni and Kim was in high school, also in Hammond La, Kim got bigger headlines in the Hamond paper than Robin did.

https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1116325758975143937

Indeed she did. Some people don't like her but she does a great job with her team. Seems like they all like her and she really cares for them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: