RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 Notre Dame vs #1 Baylor - 4/07/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Notre Dame
48%
 48%  [ 16 ]
Baylor
51%
 51%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 33

Genero36

PostPosted: 04/07/19 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations to the young ladies of Baylor.

PostPosted: 04/07/19 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

as far as missed FTs, those FIVE misses by Kalani could have ended up being the difference. So it wasn't just ND's misses. 18-22 is pretty good. It's just that the last one missed happened to be crucial so it's the one remembered.

Congrats to Baylor and it will be interesting to see how ND re-builds next year.

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/07/19 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a lot easier to make a shot when the consequence of missing is not a loss.

That's why Kyle Guy's 3 FTs yesterday rank among the all-time clutch shooting feats in collegiate history.

When you go to the line down 2, miss the first, then make the 2nd when you want to miss it, you have choked.

PostPosted: 04/07/19 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Notre Dame choked this game away. So many missed FT's and empty possessions in the final quarter.

No one but Arike choked. N Dame got close and then they traded baskets until the end. Until she choked Arike was in line for MOP the way she shot, along with Mabrey. It was scripted to be another comeback win for the Irish with her as the heroine but instead it was a surprise ending.

Every Irish player who was on the floor contributed to the poor play down the stretch.

Last 5 minutes of the game with the score tied at 74:

Anrike with 2 missed FT's and a turnover when she bounced the ball off her foot.
Shepard missed FT (also missed a layup earlier in the 4th)
Mabray had a turnover and missed a layup.
Turner missed a layup that hit the bottom of the rim.
Young was just bad.

Too many missed opportunities during the last 5 minutes of the game.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/07/19 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gx_iTxTDmKg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
zune69

PostPosted: 04/07/19 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Baylor won this game by hitting clutch shots and playing tough defense, but ND contributed to Baylor's win by playing poorly down the stretch.

willtalk

PostPosted: 04/07/19 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Cox does not get injured the game is not even close. Cox getting injured was the key to ND comeback.

PostPosted: 04/07/19 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
If Cox does not get injured the game is not even close. Cox getting injured was the key to ND comeback.

You are so correct! Baylor had this game from the beginning and it only got close AFTER Cox was injured. This was Baylors game and ND tried to take over after Cox's injury. It didn't work.

Congratulations to Baylor even tho ND tried to make it look like they fought back, but they only got as close as they did after Cox was injured.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 04/07/19 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gx_iTxTDmKg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Put this pic, at 2:00 and it is quite clear that the ND player had her elbow in Lauren's back!!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/07/19 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My daughter called me after the game laughing because her youngest son, who is 11 and slightly ADHD (as well as not much of a sports fan), had run through the room, stopped, and then asked, “Is her name really MUPPET?” I’m sure he isn’t the only kid who’s made that mistake, but I suspect she’ll be referred to as “Muppet” in that house for some time to come.

PostPosted: 04/07/19 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CvjdjP00JCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/07/19 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Congratulations to the young ladies of Baylor.

Ummm, Kim isn't 'young.' Wink

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 04/07/19 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, DANG-erooo!

I was rooting the entire way for Baylor today. MOSTLY to deliver a Crow Sammich to Myrtliciousness, who incessantly slighted them, saying they weren't REALLY #1 overall ( No, wait....I think I mighta said that once, too...but never as vociferously as SHE did.Razz )

But really, folks: This one just about had it all, in the way of High Drama.
The Big Bold Start
The Tenacious Persistence
The Terrible Injury
The Comeback
The Tense Final Seconds
The Final Buzzer
The Flowing Tears
The Adorable Baby....what's left?

HUGE Kudos to Baylor. Such Heart and Guts! And extraordinary defense.
HUGE Kudos to Notre Dame. Such Heart and Guts! And their kids DO know the delicious taste of earning a NC....

It really was an awesome FF. Cool

(side note, re: the bickering over 'flopping'....certainly for this FF, and even throughout the tourney, *I* saw comparatively little of it. To the point I thought, maybe the coaches have made a concerted effort to curtail that, at least where it's more drama than actual contact??)

PostPosted: 04/07/19 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All-Final Four team:
Marina Mabrey
Arike Ogunbowale
Lauren Cox
Kalani Brown
MOP: Chloe Jackson

tfan

PostPosted: 04/08/19 2:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Notre Dame choked this game away. So many missed FT's and empty possessions in the final quarter.

No one but Arike choked. N Dame got close and then they traded baskets until the end. Until she choked Arike was in line for MOP the way she shot, along with Mabrey. It was scripted to be another comeback win for the Irish with her as the heroine but instead, it was a surprise ending.

Missing a free throw with the ball bouncing from the back of the rim to the front and then out, is not a choke. That is, it was not a bad miss and no foul shot is a sure thing.

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/08/19 4:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Baylor - I don’t normally root for the Lady Bears but how could you not feel for them when Cox went down? Chloe Jackson was unbelievable and certainly an extension of her feisty coach. Smith’s jumpers were heroic and that kid is going to be fun to watch.

Kim Mulkey is an icon in this sport and her third national title cements her and the Baylor program in the game’s elite. Will be neat to see what she does with her freshmen (sophomores next year). There will be some nice pieces in Waco and hopefully Cox is good to go by Nov/December - questions on the PG situation for sure.

Notre Dame had a great comeback and will miss those fantastic seniors. Did Turner play her way into the First Round of the draft? I’m surprised about Jackie Young - she didn’t play at a high level in either FF game. Will be paying attention today to see if she stays - suddenly I’m a fan of the kids staying Smile

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/08/19 5:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CvjdjP00JCU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks for posting the presser.

Calling out a quick stat check at the end by Mulkey, when she said NaLyssa Smith is the first player from San Antonio to win a national championship. I immediately though that’s incorrect because Clarissa Davis the great Texas player is from S.A. and earned her NC ring in 1986 - also as a freshmen.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/08/19 6:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congratulations to Baylor and I agree with Will, this would not have been close with Cox. It shows how undersized posts struggle with real size and that’s what will happen in the pros, Uconn had the same issue but Baylor left Williams, Walker and Collier wide open away from the basket, Young got a little of the same treatment but clearly could’nt drive into bigs of that size to get calls, another red flag. Baylor didn’t need their bigs to fast break as the Baylor guards were much quicker than ND and that’s also how we beat them the first time.

And for those ripping on fans for giving back some of the treatment they have been dished over and over, stop being hypocrites.

I am happy for Kim the grandmother as you can see how that has been a joy and a change in how she is with her players but I am wishing Cox all the best for a speedy recovery. ND are the underachievers this year, just think about how easy it is to play with a team full of seniors 😎

Genero36

PostPosted: 04/08/19 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

She has to be, so it could make the rest of us young. Cool

...and Chloe Jackson has a cute release on her jump shot. It's like a pump fake but not quite.

<embed><iframe width="1021" height="574" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gx_iTxTDmKg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx_iTxTDmKg

PostPosted: 04/08/19 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrwhfhncPfM

I love spring. Saw a robin and a bunny in the backyard, going about their robin and bunny business.

PostPosted: 04/08/19 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Nonsense. She's a year younger than me. She has to be young.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/08/19 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some stats.

Baylor made 39 field goals to ND's 28 at an accuracy of 53.4% to 38.9%, and demolished ND in the paint points, 54-24. Baylor also had more assists (21-18), fewer turnovers (8-10), more fast break points (16-8), and more points off turnovers (12-7).

So, why was it a one point game? Two primary reasons. ND hit five more 3pt shots than Baylor (7-13 vs. 2-7) and 16 more free throws (18-22 vs. 2-7), both at much higher accuracy percentages. That gave ND 31 more points from the arc and the stripe. In addition, ND also had more offensive rebounds (20-14) and more second chance points from them (21-18).
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/08/19 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
linkster wrote:
zune69 wrote:

No one but Arike choked. N Dame got close and then they traded baskets until the end. Until she choked Arike was in line for MOP the way she shot, along with Mabrey. It was scripted to be another comeback win for the Irish with her as the heroine but instead, it was a surprise ending.

Missing a free throw with the ball bouncing from the back of the rim to the front and then out, is not a choke. That is, it was not a bad miss and no foul shot is a sure thing.

To be accurate, the shot was long. The ball hit the back of the rim, the front of the rim, the back of the rim and rim bracket, and then over the front of the rim. Not indicative of a calm, soft shot or near-make, especially from an 80% Free Thrower.

Making the 2nd one, when missing on purpose was the intent, is arguably an even bigger choke.

Last edited by cthskzfn on 04/08/19 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/08/19 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Some stats.

Baylor made 39 field goals to ND's 28 at an accuracy of 53.4% to 38.9%, and demolished ND in the paint points, 54-24. Baylor also had more assists (21-1Cool, fewer turnovers (8-10), more fast break points (16-Cool, and more points off turnovers (12-7).

So, why was it a one point game? Two primary reasons. ND hit five more 3pt shots than Baylor (7-13 vs. 2-7) and 16 more free throws (18-22 vs. 2-7), both at much higher accuracy percentages. That gave ND 31 more points from the arc and the stripe. In addition, ND also had more offensive rebounds (20-14) and more second chance points from them (21-1Cool.

Baylor has never been a great three point shooting team nor a great free throw shooting team. That advantage goes to Notre Dame for those two categories. I do believe that Baylor would have won the rebound battle if Lauren Cox did not get injured.

PostPosted: 04/08/19 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In all the excitement of the finish, we never did get a replay of the supposed foul that sent ND to the line. From the one angle we saw, it looked like good, legal defense by Ursin.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: