RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Tyler Summitt Coaching in HS now
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 2646



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 9:27 pm    ::: Tyler Summitt Coaching in HS now Reply Reply with quote

Apologies if this has been posted already but I just saw this and it was surprising to me as Tyler Summitt is going to be an assistant for his wife at the high school she attended in Fairborn, OH:

https://deadspin.com/three-years-after-resigning-over-inappropriate-relatio-1833849850?utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

I can't believe someone would even allow him to be an assistant in high school. And I'm behind the times - had no idea he'd married Brooklyn Pumroy.


FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1230



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is just wrong. Three years later, after cheating on his then wife and sleeping with a then player, they're going to put him in a position where he can do the same thing to a new wife and new player. And I don't buy that he knows better now, because I can't believe his mother didn't teach him not to do this stuff in the first place. What do the parents in that town think?

And to digress somewhat, this whole practice of nepotism is just a setup for a whole slew of problems. I've read that Tenn has an official policy against hiring spouses within depts, which could be a potential deterrent for Kellie Harper to come there.


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 5583



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 10:44 pm    ::: Re: Tyler Summitt Coaching in HS now Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Apologies if this has been posted already but I just saw this and it was surprising to me as Tyler Summitt is going to be an assistant for his wife at the high school she attended in Fairborn, OH:

https://deadspin.com/three-years-after-resigning-over-inappropriate-relatio-1833849850?utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

I can't believe someone would even allow him to be an assistant in high school. And I'm behind the times - had no idea he'd married Brooklyn Pumroy.


Yeah, that's kind of surprising and sad.



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 2646



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
This is just wrong. Three years later, after cheating on his then wife and sleeping with a then player, they're going to put him in a position where he can do the same thing to a new wife and new player. And I don't buy that he knows better now, because I can't believe his mother didn't teach him not to do this stuff in the first place. What do the parents in that town think?

And to digress somewhat, this whole practice of nepotism is just a setup for a whole slew of problems. I've read that Tenn has an official policy against hiring spouses within depts, which could be a potential deterrent for Kellie Harper to come there.


This is very wrong - if I was a parent at that High school, I'd be complaining quite a bit. He's now married to the player he was supposedly fooling around with - really what's to keep him from doing it again. And this all probably started when both were at Marquette - yuck!




Last edited by Marquette Fan on 04/06/19 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5527
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is such a thing as forgiveness of sins, redemption, atonement, expiation, propitiation, absolution, and just old-fashioned second chances. In fact, entire religions are based on this premise, as all of mankind are sinners.

Summitt has paid a heavy price: lost his job, his job income, his reputation, his marriage, and was publicly disgraced and humiliated before an entire sport and his terminally ill mother.

So, three years later, he's been offered a job as assistant coach, possibly unpaid, to his wife at a high school. I don't think he's at all a risk to repeat his mistake. It's the smallest of second chances and I would give it to him.
taropatch



Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 587
Location: Kau Rubbish Dump


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/19 4:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
There is such a thing as forgiveness of sins, redemption, atonement, expiation, propitiation, absolution, and just old-fashioned second chances. In fact, entire religions are based on this premise, as all of mankind are sinners.

Summitt has paid a heavy price: lost his job, his job income, his reputation, his marriage, and was publicly disgraced and humiliated before an entire sport and his terminally ill mother.

So, three years later, he's been offered a job as assistant coach, possibly unpaid, to his wife at a high school. I don't think he's at all a risk to repeat his mistake. It's the smallest of second chances and I would give it to him


He collects $14K+ monthly (his mom's pension) so both of them don't have to work if they don't want to. If they do, find another line of work; start a business.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9662



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/19 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is such a thing as redemption and second chances, but if I were a parent, I would not let my daughter play in a program he's involved in.

I have a really strong reaction to hypocrisy, and given his track record of saying one thing and doing another, I would find it impossible to believe anything he says about learning his lesson, etc. And if he quoted a Bible verse, I'd have to leave the room.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5383
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/19 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
There is such a thing as forgiveness of sins, redemption, atonement, expiation, propitiation, absolution, and just old-fashioned second chances. In fact, entire religions are based on this premise, as all of mankind are sinners.

Summitt has paid a heavy price: lost his job, his job income, his reputation, his marriage, and was publicly disgraced and humiliated before an entire sport and his terminally ill mother.

So, three years later, he's been offered a job as assistant coach, possibly unpaid, to his wife at a high school. I don't think he's at all a risk to repeat his mistake. It's the smallest of second chances and I would give it to him.


I agree with Glenn. I think some of y'all are just being vengeful hypocrites.

As for Jon Harper, there has never been so much as a whiff of scandal around him and that should not be a problem. There are many other couples coaching. Deal with it.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25059



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/19 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd let my daughter play there, but keep a watchful eye. I totally agree about 2nd chances. It's one of the really bad things about our prison system. It's very hard to get that 2nd chance because you are labelled felon for the rest of your life and it's hard to get a job with that label. We talk rehabilitation, but we don't live it.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5383
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/19 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How many female coaches have their partners/wives as assistants? They may not be "out" lesbians, but it could be fairly common knowledge about some of them. Supposing your daughter was lesbian and you already knew it. Would you let her play for one of them? Would you then complain about nepotism? If not, just hush.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
Brinx



Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 860
Location: CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/19 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bold move. I don't believe any coach or teacher should get a second chance doing the same job after the type of mistake he made.


Youth Coach



Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 4452



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/19 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sorry but no.

He has no business ever coaching women or in this case, girls, ever again.

If he wanted to coach a men's team I probably wouldn't have an issue but he's proven that he cannot be trusted once and this should not have ever come to pass.

There are some things that are not forgivable under any circumstances and in the realm of athletics, fucking one of your players is at the top of the list.

I'd say I'm pretty much in agreement with ClayK's post.
miller40



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 1160



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/19 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
How many female coaches have their partners/wives as assistants? They may not be "out" lesbians, but it could be fairly common knowledge about some of them. Supposing your daughter was lesbian and you already knew it. Would you let her play for one of them? Would you then complain about nepotism? If not, just hush.


I’m not sure I’m following correctly, so I want to ask.

Are you comparing a hypothetical lesbian coach who has no history of a sexual relationship with her players with a male coach with a history of sexual relationship with a player?

The issue as I understand it isn’t nepotism, but rather the act that got him fired.


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4088
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/19 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
How many female coaches have their partners/wives as assistants? They may not be "out" lesbians, but it could be fairly common knowledge about some of them. Supposing your daughter was lesbian and you already knew it. Would you let her play for one of them? Would you then complain about nepotism? If not, just hush.


I’m not sure I’m following correctly, so I want to ask.

Are you comparing a hypothetical lesbian coach who has no history of a sexual relationship with her players with a male coach with a history of sexual relationship with a player?

The issue as I understand it isn’t nepotism, but rather the act that got him fired.


I know, I got lost too.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
letsski



Joined: 21 Jan 2010
Posts: 128



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/19 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
How many female coaches have their partners/wives as assistants? They may not be "out" lesbians, but it could be fairly common knowledge about some of them. Supposing your daughter was lesbian and you already knew it. Would you let her play for one of them? Would you then complain about nepotism? If not, just hush.

I don't understand the reference to Lesbians, but as far as coaches with spouses as asst. coaches, UC Davis head coach Jen Gross has her husband as an asst. coach and Washington head coach Jody Winn's husband is her asst.


FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1230



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/07/19 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully the maturity level of college coaches is sufficient to handle a spousal working arrangement. The Summitts have yet to demonstrate that, IMHO. They just had a baby last summer and only got married in December. They have enough newlywed stress on their plate without trying to work together. And regardless of how well they weather their employment arrangement, these nepotistic situations usually cause conflict with coworkers. My point regarding the Harpers is that the state of Tenn prohibits this kind of employment arrangement. UT would have to come up with some creative management to allow the two of them to work together as asst and head coach.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5383
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/07/19 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
How many female coaches have their partners/wives as assistants? They may not be "out" lesbians, but it could be fairly common knowledge about some of them. Supposing your daughter was lesbian and you already knew it. Would you let her play for one of them? Would you then complain about nepotism? If not, just hush.


I’m not sure I’m following correctly, so I want to ask.

Are you comparing a hypothetical lesbian coach who has no history of a sexual relationship with her players with a male coach with a history of sexual relationship with a player?

The issue as I understand it isn’t nepotism, but rather the act that got him fired.


A little of both, actually, as someone brought up the nepotism issue in an earlier post. That should probably be a separate thread.But there are a lot of coaches, including Arizona's Adia Barnes, who have their spouses or partners as their assistants.

Now, as to the other. *rant warning follows*
Some of y'all act like Tyler is a child molester with a conviction and a prison term. Uh, no. He had an inappropriate relationship with a player, who he later married. Both were of age, and although I fully admit this does not make it okay, since he was married to someone else at the time, unless they were caught in flagrante and/or you have a birth certificate for a hypothetical child, you have only RUMORS to go on that he was f*cking her at the time or that she was pregnant. Unless you have such proof, put up or shut up. As Glenn says, there is grace and redemption, and don't talk it if you don't walk it. We are all sinners and most likely every one of us has done something that we might not like to have held up to public scrutiny over and over.
*rant mode off*



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 13333



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/07/19 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can forgive him all you want. Give him a job delivering pizzas.

He has no business EVER again having a job where he is in a position of authority, trust, or control over young women. Not ever.


blaase22



Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 3821
Location: Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/07/19 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Goodness why does he need to work anyway?? He’s set for life thanks to Pat!


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5383
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/07/19 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What’s in YOUR folder, Mr. Perfect?

His wife trusts him. She gave him the (probably unpaid) job. That should be enough. He’s right under her watchful eye. The rest is none of your business.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 13333



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/07/19 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
What’s in YOUR folder, Mr. Perfect?

His wife trusts him. She gave him the (probably unpaid) job. That should be enough. He’s right under her watchful eye. The rest is none of your business.


Any administrator that would let him near a hs teaching or coaching position should be fired on the spot for irresponsibility and incompetence.

Who the hell cares what his wife thinks. The school principal is a buffoon for allowing this to happen.

And it certainly IS a matter of public business and concern. It's a public high school. What would possess you to think it's nobody's business.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4008



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/07/19 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one is asking if you would want your daughter coached by a woman who, when she was just a couple of years older than your daughter, had an affair with her basketball coach? And that the coach with whom she had that affair is her assistant? That's creepy.-


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5383
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/07/19 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You are a horrible person. I’m pretty sure this was discussed with the principal, and since you don’t have a child on the team, it isn’t your business. The parents may even know about it, for all you know, since it was all over the news a few years ago and it’s his wife’s home town. So it doesn’t really matter what you think.

You’ve hated Tyler ever since he got a GA position on the men’s team at Tennessee because you suspected he somehow didn’t get it on his own (he did, regardless of what you think), but you really ramped it up when he got the LA Tech job. In retrospect I agree that was a bad hire and a job he wasn’t ready for, but I argued at the time that he should at least be given a chance. He was, and he blew it. He’s suffered for it. But “deliver pizzas”? Art, you are exactly what I said, a vengeful hypocrite.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 13333



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
You are a horrible person. I’m pretty sure this was discussed with the principal, and since you don’t have a child on the team, it isn’t your business. The parents may even know about it, for all you know, since it was all over the news a few years ago and it’s his wife’s home town. So it doesn’t really matter what you think.

You’ve hated Tyler ever since he got a GA position on the men’s team at Tennessee because you suspected he somehow didn’t get it on his own (he did, regardless of what you think), but you really ramped it up when he got the LA Tech job. In retrospect I agree that was a bad hire and a job he wasn’t ready for, but I argued at the time that he should at least be given a chance. He was, and he blew it. He’s suffered for it. But “deliver pizzas”? Art, you are exactly what I said, a vengeful hypocrite.


There are drugs available to treat delusions like those you suffer.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5383
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/07/19 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
You are a horrible person. I’m pretty sure this was discussed with the principal, and since you don’t have a child on the team, it isn’t your business. The parents may even know about it, for all you know, since it was all over the news a few years ago and it’s his wife’s home town. So it doesn’t really matter what you think.

You’ve hated Tyler ever since he got a GA position on the men’s team at Tennessee because you suspected he somehow didn’t get it on his own (he did, regardless of what you think), but you really ramped it up when he got the LA Tech job. In retrospect I agree that was a bad hire and a job he wasn’t ready for, but I argued at the time that he should at least be given a chance. He was, and he blew it. He’s suffered for it. But “deliver pizzas”? Art, you are exactly what I said, a vengeful hypocrite.


There are drugs available to treat delusions like those you suffer.


Unfortunately there are none that will make you less of a bitter, awful person. Pickle juice might sweeten your disposition, though.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin