RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rebkell Fantasy Basketball League
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/22/19 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the 3rd pick, NYSports56 picks A'ja Wilson (C, Las Vegas)

NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/22/19 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:
1) OK, we can do it that way. It will require less oversight on my part. If records are equal (meaning same W/L percentage), only then will it be random.

Random? It shouldn't be.. The tiebreaker should be who has the fewest fantasy points. I've never seen waivers be random in any fantasy game.

That sounds fine. So after worst record, the next tiebreaker will be fewest points scored. In there is still a tie (or in the pre-season), it will be done randomly.

Your pick, Admiral Needa!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/22/19 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYsports im trying to PM you my pick in case im not online , but the board is having connection issues.

PostPosted: 04/22/19 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:

Shocked I thought I looked to see how she was listed and she was an F. But that is on the general W site. The Aces specific site has her as a C. I know you said we are going by the specific sites so that's cool....but it's a good example that everybody should be aware that the W site isn't always the same as the specific team sites!

- Amanda Gorman
NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/22/19 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
NYsports im trying to PM you my pick in case im not online , but the board is having connection issues.

My e-mail is brucewig@hotmail.com if people need to contact me that way.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/22/19 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

Shocked I thought I looked to see how she was listed and she was an F. But that is on the general W site. The Aces specific site has her as a C. I know you said we are going by the specific sites so that's cool....but it's a good example that everybody should be aware that the W site isn't always the same as the specific team sites!

Yes, I thought she was a forward too, but then I checked as I was drafting her. For better or worse, those team rosters are the ones we are using.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/22/19 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56, will you be keeping an updated draft list somewhere? This way players don't get drafted twice.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/22/19 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:
1) OK, we can do it that way. It will require less oversight on my part. If records are equal (meaning same W/L percentage), only then will it be random.

Random? It shouldn't be.. The tiebreaker should be who has the fewest fantasy points. I've never seen waivers be random in any fantasy game.

That sounds fine. So after worst record, the next tiebreaker will be fewest points scored. In there is still a tie (or in the pre-season), it will be done randomly.

Could you summarize the league settings in the first post?

Schedule, scoring, transaction rules, etc. Normally this is done before the draft. Idea

BTW, I thought we voted not to have the draft proceed immediately.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/22/19 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
OK, I have set up the random die roller

It is on a boardgaming website called ACTS, and I have set up an account and thread on the site where we can make random choices.

To verify the results (or get a random choice of your own if a situation arises and I'm not around), log into the website on the following page: http://acts.warhorsesim.com/login.asp

username = nysports56
password = rebkell

So I took a look at this, and wonder.. shouldn't the die rolls be done when the entire league is filled?

For example, we started as a 5-team league. Everybody was randomly given a number between 1-5. However, the 4 players who joined later were given a number between 1-9.

In short, there was a zero percent chance that anybody in the first 5 (WNBA 09. Admiral_Needa, adamj95, NYSports56, mojo) could draw a #9 overall draft pick, no? Question

NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/22/19 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

It is on a boardgaming website called ACTS, and I have set up an account and thread on the site where we can make random choices.

To verify the results (or get a random choice of your own if a situation arises and I'm not around), log into the website on the following page: http://acts.warhorsesim.com/login.asp

username = nysports56
password = rebkell

So I took a look at this, and wonder.. shouldn't the die rolls be done when the entire league is filled?

For example, we started as a 5-team league. Everybody was randomly given a number between 1-5. However, the 4 players who joined later were given a number between 1-9.

In short, there was a zero percent chance that anybody in the first 5 (WNBA 09. Admiral_Needa, adamj95, NYSports56, mojo) could draw a #9 overall draft pick, no? Question

No, that's not true. The 4 players who joined later were not given a number from 1-9. The 6th player was given a number from 1-6. The 7th was given a number from 1-7. And so on. Each player was inserted in a random spot in the order. It so happens that they drew high numbers and so were inserted at the end. If they had received lower numbers, those on the bottom of the list would have been pushed down further.

It's a fair way to do it.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/22/19 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

username = nysports56
password = rebkell

No, that's not true. The 4 players who joined later were not given a number from 1-9. The 6th player was given a number from 1-6. The 7th was given a number from 1-7. And so on. Each player was inserted in a random spot in the order. It so happens that they drew high numbers and so were inserted at the end. If they had received lower numbers, those on the bottom of the list would have been pushed down further.

But again, the first 5 never had the opportunity to draw a number higher than 5, so they get an advantage. The fair way to do it would be to re-do the draft with everybody given a number between 1-9.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/22/19 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
NYSports56, will you be keeping an updated draft list somewhere? This way players don't get drafted twice.

+1

PostPosted: 04/22/19 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

Could you summarize the league settings in the first post?

Schedule, scoring, transaction rules, etc. Normally this is done before the draft. Idea

BTW, I thought we voted not to have the draft proceed immediately.

There was never an actual vote, and some voiced a preference for starting sooner. We were trying to work things out for a later draft, but for the reasons I mentioned in the post where I announced my decision, we're doing it now.

Basically everything has been determined over time here in this thread.

Points will be scored using the NBA's official fantasy scoring system:

Rebounds: 1.2
Assists: 1.5
Steals: 3
Blocks: 3
Turnovers: -1

The draft is snaking back and forth, with the even numbered rounds going in reverse order from the odd.

Schedule is to be determined. I will create a generic schedule, post it, and then randomly select which team gets which schedule. It will be a 12 week schedule, comprised of the first 12 weeks of the WNBA season (a week begins with the Tuesday games).

If we have an odd number of players, one team will be assigned to play two games on a given week. The team's score will count in each game.

Roster size is 10 players. You need to start a lineup of 2 guards, 2 forwards, and 1 center each week. Players will earn points based on their performance in the team's first game of the week.

After the draft and before the season, there is free player pickup via add/drop. You may only acquire 2 players via trade in that time.

During the season, you have a weekly transaction limit: you can acquire a maximum of 3 players via trade or add/drop (exception: no more than 2 players can be added by either method).

There will be playoffs after the 12 week season. I outlined the possible playoff formats we would use in an earlier post, but I am actually making a small amendment to the 9 and 10 player formats. An extra team will get in on the bottom, but it will still be a berth in the finals for the #1 seed and a bye for the #2 through #4 seeds.

We are using the positions listed on the team rosters on the WNBA site. Some players are listed as having two positions. They may be used at either position in your lineup. If their listing changes in the middle of the season, the new listing must be used.

I think that's the relevant stuff you would need answered to draft. If you have any other questions, please ask. Hopefully most of the answers are already contained in this thread.

Last edited by NYSports56 on 04/22/19 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/22/19 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Revised playoff format for 9 or 10 players:

Round 1: #5 vs. #6 vs. #7 (all three compete, high score advances)
Round 2a: #2 vs. winner of Round 1
Round 2b: #3 vs. #4
Round 3: winners of Rounds 2a and 2b
Championship: #1 vs. winner of Round 3

calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/22/19 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

username = nysports56
password = rebkell

This is a fair system. In essence if the 7th person had gotten the number 1, then all of the previous 6 would have slid down a position. If all of the 4 added players had drawn lower numbers than 6 the player that started at 5 would have slid down to 9. The insertion of individual players by this method still gives each player an equal chance at any position. The only difference is that by doing this in stages the earlier players get locked in to
their relative positions.

In short, there was a zero percent chance that anybody in the first 5 (WNBA 09. Admiral_Needa, adamj95, NYSports56, mojo) could draw a #9 overall draft pick, no? :?:

But again, the first 5 never had the opportunity to draw a number higher than 5, so they get an advantage. The fair way to do it would be to re-do the draft with everybody given a number between 1-9.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/22/19 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

OK, well so far we have

#1 (mojo/myrtle) Brittany Griner, C, PHOE
#2 (adamj95) Elena Delle Donne, F-G, WASH
#3 (NYSports56) A'ja Wilson, C, LV

We can keep on copying and pasting and adding to this as we go along. It doesn't have to be just me.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/22/19 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Schedule is to be determined. I will create a generic schedule, post it, and then randomly select which team gets which schedule. It will be a 12 week schedule, comprised of the first 12 weeks of the WNBA season (a week begins with the Tuesday games).

So it's 9 teams, 12 weeks. Therefore you'll play every opponent once, and 3 opponents twice. Definitely not ideal, as you may play the 3 strongest teams or 3 weakest teams twice. Exclamation

NYSports56 wrote:
If we have an odd number of players, one team will be assigned to play two games on a given week. The team's score will count in each game.

So, if you have a bad week, you could not only get one loss, you could get 2. Also, because of the 9-team+12 week schedule, 3 teams will have the opportunity to get either 2 losses or 2 wins for one week. Shocked

NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/22/19 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:

The first five had every bit as much chance of drafting last as the last four using this system. They could have drafted 5th through 9th, if every one of the last four added rolled a 1 on his die roll. Instead of rolling low, they all rolled high, and only WNBA09 was pushed down to 6th pick. The odds of this happening were very slim, but that was the way fate resolved.

Trust me on this, everybody had an equal chance of getting each draft position.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/22/19 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:

So the #1 seed gets 2 byes, not one. I've never seen this before in any fantasy league, NFL, NBA... Is this up for vote? Idea

calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/22/19 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

So it's 9 teams, 12 weeks. Therefore you'll play every opponent once, and 3 opponents twice. Definitely not ideal, as you may play the 3 strongest teams or 3 weakest teams twice. :!:

NYSports56 wrote:

So, if you have a bad week, you could not only get one loss, you could get 2. Also, because of the 9-team+12 week schedule, 3 teams will have the opportunity to get either 2 losses or 2 wins for one week. :shock:

Disregard this first comment as it is inaccurate
Actually it seems you have 15 games, 9 weeks where you play 1 game, 3 weeks where you play 2 games. Therefore you should play every other team twice, except 1 team that you only play once.

New comment

Upon reflection this is a somewhat thornier issue. In order to have all players playing an equal number of games, each team would have to have 2 weeks where they play 2 games. That means that in 9 weeks there would be 5 games, including 1 team that plays 2 games. In the other 3 weeks, there would be 6 games, meaning that 3 teams would each play 2 games. Alternatively there could be 11 weeks where only 1 team gets a bye and 1 week where 7 players play 2 games.

This would leave each team with 14 games.

NYSports 56, do you have a model schedule for that?
Thanks for putting this together.

/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/

I did this so the draft order would be at the top of a page, but I guess it didn't work

Last edited by calbearman76 on 04/22/19 6:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/22/19 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

So it's 9 teams, 12 weeks. Therefore you'll play every opponent once, and 3 opponents twice. Definitely not ideal, as you may play the 3 strongest teams or 3 weakest teams twice. Exclamation

NYSports56 wrote:

So, if you have a bad week, you could not only get one loss, you could get 2. Also, because of the 9-team+12 week schedule, 3 teams will have the opportunity to get either 2 losses or 2 wins for one week. Shocked

Yes, you may play a stronger team more than once. Like a lot of other sports where you play one team more than the other. At least we play every team once. In NFL football, there's a lot of teams you don't play at all. As you said, not ideal. So there's a little luck of the draw, just like the draft.

Yes, the double week can be a boom/bust affair. But it's not unfair except with 20-20 hindsight. I didn't want to give one team a bye each week (everybody should be enjoying the league every week), so the only other alternative I thought about was pitting the odd team against the average score of the entire league. I thought the head to head angle was more preferable, and no one said anything about it until now.

Yes, using this means that some teams will play a 14 game scehdule, and some will play a 13 game schedule. Again, that's only unfair using 20-20 hindsight; the extra game could be a curse as much as a blessing; it will all come down to W/L percentage.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/22/19 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

OK, well so far we have

#1 (mojo/myrtle) Brittany Griner, C, PHOE
#2 (adamj95) Elena Delle Donne, F-G, WASH
#3 (NYSports56) A'ja Wilson, C, LV

We can keep on copying and pasting and adding to this as we go along. It doesn't have to be just me.

It would be better if you edited your 1st post in this thread and placed it there, along with all the rules and settings.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/22/19 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

So the #1 seed gets 2 byes, not one. I've never seen this before in any fantasy league, NFL, NBA... Is this up for vote? Idea

No, it is not. I have one requirement for the playoff systems in the leagues that I run: the first place team always gets something that no one else gets. There can be more than one first place team if there is more than one division, but they must all receive preferential treatment that goes beyond matchup pairing.

Beyond that, I try to make as many tiers of qualification as I can, so that the regular season is as meaningful to as many teams as possible. In this instance, I have created two additional tiers of qualification: one for seeds #2 through #4, and one for seeds #5 through #7.

I didn't want to use more than 4 weeks for the post season, so given that limitation, I believe that this format will keep the league interesting for as many teams as possible for as long as possible.

I'd argue that winning a season long competition is more meaningful than getting lucky for a few weeks in the playoffs. I have no problem with the winner of the season getting two byes and a berth in the finals. It's a fitting reward.

One more thing--there is a league that gives two byes to its top teams: the WNBA! There are three tiers of qualification in the WNBA too, and that means that it is arguably the best playoff system in American professional sports. The regular season stays interesting for more teams in the WNBA than it does in any other sport.

Last edited by NYSports56 on 04/22/19 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/22/19 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think next year, I'll be the commissioner. Idea Laughing

calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/22/19 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All picks:

Round 1:

#1 - mojo/myrtle - Britney Griner C
#2 - adamj95 - Elena Delle Donne G-F
#3 - NYSports56 - A'ja Wilson C
#4 - Admiral Needa - Candace Parker F-C
#5 - calbearman76 - Sylvia Fowles C
#6 - WNBA 09 - Courtney Vandersloot G
#7 - toad455 - Tina Charles C
#8 - hoopmom - Natasha Howard F
#9 - Erimus - Diana Taurasi G

Round 2:
#1 - Erimus Nneka Ogwumike F
#2 - hoopmom - Chelsea Gray G
#3 - toad455 - DeWanna Bonner F
#4 - WNBA09 Alyssa Thomas F
#5 - Calbearman76 - Jewel Loyd G
#6 - Admiral Needa - Kayla McBride G
#7 - NYSports 56 - Tiffany Hayes G
#8 - adamj95 - Chiney Ogwumike F
#9 - mojo/myrtle - Emma Meeseman

Catch-up picks -jspoon

#1 - Liz Cambage C
#2 - Diamond Deshields G
#3 - Elizabeth Williams F-C
#4 - Kelsey Plum G

Round 3:

#1 - mojo/myrtle - Jasmine Thomas G
#2 - adamj95 - Sue Bird G
#3 - NYSports56 - Jessica Breland F
#4 - Admiral Needa -Teaira McCowan C
#5 - calbearman76 -Cheyenne Parker F
#6 - WNBA 09 - Natasha Cloud G
#7 - toad455 - Renee Montgomery G
#8 - hoopmom - Candice DuPree F
#9 - Erimus - Asia Durr G

Round 4:
#1 - Erimus - Kalani Brown C
#2 - hoopmom - Kelsey Mitchell G
#3 - toad455 -Kristi Toliver G
#4 - WNBA09 - Glory Johnson F
#5 - Calbearman76 - Courtney Williams G
#6 - Admiral Needa - Jonquel Jones F
#7 - NYSports 56 - Azura Stevens F-C
#8 - adamj95 - LaToya Sanders F-C
#9 - mojo/myrtle - Allie Quigley G

Round 5:

#1 - mojo/myrtle - Kayla Thornton F
#2 - jspoon - Alysha Clark F
#3 - adamj95 - Jackie Young G
#4 - NYSports56 - Ariel Atkins G
#5 - Admiral Needa - Arike Ogunbowale G
#6 - calbearman76 - Gabby Williams F
#7 - WNBA 09 - Stephanie Dolson C
#8 - toad455 - Crystal Langhorne F-C
#9 - hoopmom - Maria Vadeeva C
#10 - Erimus - Brittany Sykes G

Round 6:

#1 - Erimus - Alanna Smith F
#2 - hoopmom - Odyssey Sims G
#3 - toad455 - Kristine Anigwe F-C
#4 - WNBA09 - Allisha Gray G
#5 - Calbearman76 - Seimone Augustus G
#6 - Admiral Needa - Kia Nurse G
#7 - NYSports 56 - Napheesa Collier G
#8 - adamj95 - Damiris Dantas F
#9 - jspoon - Kiah Stokes C
#10 - mojo/myrtle Skyler Diggins-Smith G

Round 7:

#1 - mojo/myrtle - Angel McCoughtry G-F
#2 - jspoon - Tiffany Mitchell G
#3 - adamj95 - Briann January G
#4 - NYSports56 - Natalie Achonwa F
#5 - Admiral Needa - Karima Christmas-Kelly F
#6 - calbearman76 - Katie Lou Samuelson - G-F
#7 - WNBA 09 - Alex Bentley, G
#8 - toad455 - Alana Beard G-F
#9 - hoopmom - Theresa Plaisance F-C
#10 - Erimus - Brittany Boyd G

Round 8:

#1 - Erimus - Tami Fagbenle C
#2 - hoopmom - Tamera Young F
#3 - toad455 - Monique Billings F
#4 - WNBA09 - Amanda Zahui B C
#5 - Calbearman76 - Rebekkah Brunson F
#6 - Admiral Needa - Danielle Robinson G
#7 - NYSports 56 - Bria Hartley G
#8 - adamj95 - Dearica Hamby F
#9 - jspoon - Shekinna Strickland G-F
#10 - mojo/myrtle - Shenise Johnson G

Round 9:

#1 - mojo/myrtle - Nia Coffey F
#2 - jspoon - Jantel Lavendar F-C
#3 - adamj95 - Moriah Jefferson G
#4 - NYSports56 - Erica Wheeler G
#5 - Admiral Needa - Isabelle Harrison F
#6 - calbearman76 -Sancho Lyttle F
#7 - WNBA 09 _Ariel Powers F
#8 - toad455 - Layshia Clarendon G
#9 - hoopmom - Taylor Hill G
#10 - Erimus - Morgan Tuck F-C

Round 10:
#1 - Erimus - Marine Johannes G
#2 - hoopmom - Essence Carson G
#3 - toad455 - Sami Whitcomb G
#4 - WNBA09 - Ji Su Park C
#5 - Calbearman76 - Alaina Coates C
#6 - Admiral Needa
#7 - NYSports 56
#8 - adamj95
#9 - jspoon
#10 - mojo/myrtle

Last edited by calbearman76 on 05/07/19 3:10 pm; edited 22 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 5 of 43

Jump to: