RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Rebkell Fantasy Basketball League
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/11/19 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I assume the draft will be sometime in early to Mid-May, perhaps a week before the season.

Actually, we're going to start almost immediately and attempt to have a rolling draft. If we wait until the last week before the season starts, all kinds of things could happen that could delay us.

If there's a time we can all meet to speed things up or get a lot done, great. And if the rolling draft doesn't work well enough, we will have to schedule something official right before the season starts. But right now, we are going to start picking just about as soon as everyone verifies that they're in.

We have already determined draft order, with the knowledge that new people like you could still enter and receive a higher pick. I will go to the die rollilng website to determine where you'll be drafting.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/11/19 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It has been determined that calbearman76 will be drafting 5th, so the order is:

#1 - mojo/myrtle
#2 - adamj95
#3 - NYSports56
#4 - Admiral Needa
#5 - calbearman76
#6 - WNBA 09

Remember that the draft will snake back and forth so that calbearman76 will be drafting 2nd in all the even-numbered rounds.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/11/19 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I assume the draft will be sometime in early to Mid-May, perhaps a week before the season.

Sounds good Idea

Mojo

PostPosted: 04/11/19 7:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How long will it take to complete a draft?
Preseason is May 10 - May 19.
Season starts May 24.
It would be nice to reap some benefits if seeing who makes each team

NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/12/19 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really don't know how long it will take. It's 10 rounds of drafting. I don't think it's realistic to expect us to do that in one sitting, especially since we'll be keeping track of stuff by hand.

I was planning on doing a rolling draft starting almost immediately, but as mojo said, it would be nice to have some clarity on what was happening with each team before drafting.

In most instances, I don't think it matters much: with the six teams we currently have, we'll only be drafting 5 deep into each WNBA team on the average. Most of the players trying to make their teams will not be players we will be drafting.

However, it really does matter if you're thinking of spending a high pick on Liz Cambage and you don't even know if she's playing this year.

So I really don't know what we should do. If we do finish the draft early, there will be free waiver wire pickup until the season starts. We can still make adjustments as more becomes known about each team's situation.

I am open to suggestions, but the longer we wait, the better chance that we won't be done by the season opener. If we can all find a time or times when we're willing to commit to being here and getting a lot of picks done, great. But availability soemtimes changes, and emergencies sometimes happen. I'd rather not rely on a really late draft.

Mojo

PostPosted: 04/12/19 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The recent Rebkell Fantasy Draft took from 4-10-19 approximately 6pm to 4-12-19 approx 6pm, about 48 hours, to draft 36 players, two days. We will be drafting 60 players.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/12/19 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coming in late I would like to make two suggested rule changes:

1) I like the idea of a 24 hour selection window, but I suggest that rather than making it a random determination as to who gets a player, the player is rewarded to the team with the worst record at the time. It both allows for earlier certainty as to whether or not someone will get the player and it also could maintain competitive balance.

2) This one might be a little bit different, but since this is a 6 team league, I suggest that there be a triple round robin schedule. In order to fit the 15 games in we could designate the last 3 weeks as double games for all teams. This makes for more opportunity for teams to jump up at the end of the season.

I was also unclear on whether a decision had been made one rule. The first was the declared position. I would prefer that each team declare their position and stick with it as long as they keep the player, but I want the rule to be clear, whichever way we go.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/12/19 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking at the calendar, I suggest a start time for the draft of May 4. If all players are available that weekend and checking routinely I would think we could knock most of it out in a few days.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/12/19 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Looking at the calendar, I suggest a start time for the draft of May 4. If all players are available that weekend and checking routinely I would think we could knock most of it out in a few days.

It took the Rebkell mock draft more than 48 hours to do three rounds (12 players though), and they had a lot of situations where people weren't available to pick and had their picks made for them.

I am not available on May 4th at all. I generally work weekends, and I am working back to back nights with 5 hours of driving both Friday and Saturday. I could be available Sunday the 5th in the afternoon, as with all Sundays before the draft.

It's never easy to get people to commit to being on line at the same time. Saturday the 11th is the only Saturday before the season begins where I am free. No Friday nights either. It's a shame, because I have a few weekends off immediately after the season begins.

During the week, I am available at just about any day, any time, except Wednesdays.

If we can find a common time get people to commit to being present at a certain time (really two times), we can wait to start the draft. But as I said before, things happen. Maybe someone new will want to join, but they're not available at draft time. Maybe we'll be in the middle, and someone apologizes due to an emergency and has to go.

What's everybody's availability in May? Can we do this without starting right away?

NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/13/19 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again, if we're going to do the draft late and in one or two sittings, everyone needs to share their availability immediately so we can find a time to do it. Even if we do that, it has the drawback of excluding people who want to join between now and then, but can't make the rearranged time.

Also, I need adamj95 and WNBA 09 to check in and confirm that they're playing, either in this thread or via private message.

If people aren't willing to actively find and plan a time, we're going to have to start the draft very soon, as I originally planned.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/13/19 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am available any day from May 1-May 17. I would be able to start a draft by April 22. I assume we will be doing this either in the evening or on a weekend day.

If we are unable to come up with a set day for the start of the draft, perhaps we could set up mandatory windows for selections to ensure we do not get stuck on a particular pick.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/13/19 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Coming in late I would like to make two suggested rule changes:

1) I like the idea of a 24 hour selection window, but I suggest that rather than making it a random determination as to who gets a player, the player is rewarded to the team with the worst record at the time. It both allows for earlier certainty as to whether or not someone will get the player and it also could maintain competitive balance.

2) This one might be a little bit different, but since this is a 6 team league, I suggest that there be a triple round robin schedule. In order to fit the 15 games in we could designate the last 3 weeks as double games for all teams. This makes for more opportunity for teams to jump up at the end of the season.

I was also unclear on whether a decision had been made one rule. The first was the declared position. I would prefer that each team declare their position and stick with it as long as they keep the player, but I want the rule to be clear, whichever way we go.

1) OK, we can do it that way. It will require less oversight on my part. If records are equal (meaning same W/L percentage), only then will it be random.

2) I really don't like to have two games at once--having the same score count for two separate games bothers me just a bit. This will be a necessary evil if our league has an odd number of players (one player per week will have to play two), but I'd rather avoid this if at all possible. Playing each player the same number of times is nice, but I don't see it as crucial.

Also note that the number of people in the league is yet to be determined, and if the league is small, I will be even allowing expansion through week 4. Making plans for what we're going to do with 6 teams might not even be relevant.

On the subject of player positions, I made a decision that the WNBA website rosters (found on each team's site page) would be used and that players with double positions were able to be used at either spot. If there are more people who would like to do it as you suggest (designating a position when the player joins your team), I'd be happy to accommodate. Very little of what I've posted here is etched in stone; I've been soliciting feedback on this all along. I appreciate yours, calbearman.

Mojo

PostPosted: 04/13/19 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would like to offer ideas to consider
1. Hold the draft as close to start of season that does not risk the season starting before the draft is over. If someone is hurt or dropped between the end of draft and when the season starts, then pickups allowed with some kind of rule of who has pickup priority.
2. I support calbear idea that worst record has priority
3. I would support less transactions per week limits than you have indicated, something that gives bench players reason to be used. This would also give credit to team owners who have put forth effort to learn teams/players.
4. But when all is decided, I will support whatever you decide.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/14/19 3:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mojo wrote:
1. Hold the draft as close to start of season that does not risk the season starting before the draft is over.

That is of course the goal. But really, every day we wait is risking it more. If we aren't able to set some times when we are willing to focus and draft quickly, we're going to need to start soon. Everybody needs to give their availability like calbearman did. For your team, Mojo, I guess that means Myrtle's availability.

Mojo wrote:
If someone is hurt or dropped between the end of draft and when the season starts, then pickups allowed with some kind of rule of who has pickup priority.

There are probably going to be free pickups after the draft and before the season starts. With changing rosters and depth charts, people are going to make mistakes that need to be corrected, especially if the draft ends with a decent wait until the season starts. Also, note that there is no such thing as pickup priority most of the time: it's usually first come first served. The only time the 24 hour waiver period is used is when a player is dropped from someone else's roster. This is to give everyone a chance to realize the player is available.

Mojo wrote:
2. I support calbear idea that worst record has priority

Yes, we're going to do it that way, but again, this only applies to dropped players.

Mojo wrote:
3. I would support less transactions per week limits than you have indicated, something that gives bench players reason to be used. This would also give credit to team owners who have put forth effort to learn teams/players.

I look at it differently. If you want to reward people who are putting effort into knowing the teams and players, you should allow unlimited transactions (unless you only want to reward good drafting, and nothing thereafter).

The main reason I am imposing transaction limits is actually to limit the degree to which those who put forth that extra effort can dominate the league. People are going to commit to this league at different levels, and that is fine. I don't want to make players feel like they have to devote an insane amount of time to the league in order to have fun. A league with, as they say, sharks and guppies needs transaction limits to prevent things from getting out of hand. The better players will gain plenty of advantage even with the limits.

I'm open to fewer transactions, but I worry that those players who do enjoy devoting lots of time to fantasy won't have as much fun if their hands are completely tied.

Note that trades are the things which really tend to imbalance leagues, especially when there are sharks and guppies.

Mojo wrote:
4. But when all is decided, I will support whatever you decide.

Thanks. Smile And thanks for the feedback.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/14/19 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Myrtle Availability: It looks like Mojo will probably be able to do his own draft, but just as backup.
In general I like the rolling draft with a final date set to finish it off. In general when we've done that in the past, we finish before the final date anyway.

In general Friday thru Mondays are best for me except for May 6.

Easier to say when I'm NOT available. Most days I can work around, but I will NOT be available April 23-24 until late in the day.
NOT available during the middle of the day on May 6.
Ditto May 8
NOT available May 9 until late in the day.
(Late in day means after 8 pm PDT)

- Amanda Gorman
adamj95

PostPosted: 04/14/19 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m available pretty much everyday, but if i need to set aside time for a draft I can do that. I would just need to know in advance so i can work around it.

PostPosted: 04/14/19 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Although a few people would prefer a rolling draft, it seems like everyone is OK with us meeting at a prearranged time or times. Therefore I would like to propose the following:

We begin drafting on Sunday, May 5, in the late afternoon or early evening (depending on player availability). We'll get as many picks done as we can, but I don't think we'll be able to make 60 picks in one sitting.

Between May 5th and the following weekend, we have a rolling draft where people hopefully advance the draft a few picks every day.

We are also scheduling a day on the weekend of May 11-12 where we will finish the draft if we need to.

So is May 5th good for everyone? And is this plan good for everyone? If so, please let us know whether you're good for May 11, May 12, or both. If not, please let us know immediately so we can come up with an alternate plan.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/18/19 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since no one responded to the above post, there is going to be a change of plans. I have to work and am no longer available May 5th, so the above proposal is out.

We could push everything forward one week, moving even closer to the start of the season, but my change of availability underscores the danger in cutting things this close. Someone else might have an availability issue, and all of a sudden, they can't participate in the draft.

I'm not going to risk a draft so close to the start of the season unless everyone is willing to commit to the dates and post in this folder saying so. The unexpected can of course happen and change your availability, but if people are apathetic and not even willing to post, we've got to start this draft immediately.

So, the proposal is that we now meet at a specified time to draft on the weekend of May 11-12 to conduct as many rounds as we can, and then finish the draft over the next week, culminating in a final draft on the weekend of May 18-19.

If you want to draft on the 2nd and 3rd weekends in May, you must respond in this folder within the next 48 hours, giving your availability on the weekends of May 11-12 and May 18-19. If I don't get responses from the majority of the players, we are going to have to begin the draft immediately.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/18/19 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll throw my name into this. Either one of those weekends in may works for me.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Mojo

PostPosted: 04/18/19 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds good. I prefer the later May dates rather than earlier

NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/18/19 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
I'll throw my name into this. Either one of those weekends in may works for me.

Great, welcome Toad! We have already set the draft order (I thought we'd be starting immediately originally), so like Calbearman, you were given a random slot in the drafting order...and you drew the final pick. The draft does snake back and forth, so you will be drafting first in the even-numbered rounds.

So now the first round draft order is:
#1 - mojo/myrtle
#2 - adamj95
#3 - NYSports56
#4 - Admiral Needa
#5 - calbearman76
#6 - WNBA 09
#7 - toad455

Erimus

PostPosted: 04/19/19 1:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is this too late to join? Really interested....

NYSports56

PostPosted: 04/19/19 2:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Erimus wrote:

It's not too late; I'll put you on the list. Can you be available to draft on the weekend of May 11-12? If so, what times of the day are good for you?

Everyone else, please let me know the times that are good for you on that weekend! What's a good start time?

Erimus

PostPosted: 04/19/19 4:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Erimus wrote:

It's not too late; I'll put you on the list. Can you be available to draft on the weekend of May 11-12? If so, what times of the day are good for you?

Everyone else, please let me know the times that are good for you on that weekend! What's a good start time?

That weekend is fine for me. Around 3pm until around 6.30 is about best.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/19/19 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Erimus wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:
Erimus wrote:

That weekend is fine for me. Around 3pm until around 6.30 is about best.

Weekends more around the 6 pm cst

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 3 of 43

Jump to: