RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

#2 Connecticut vs #1 Notre Dame - 4/05/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Connecticut
30%
 30%  [ 11 ]
Notre Dame
69%
 69%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 36

Author Message
Fighting Artichoke



Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 3696



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Shades wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Signature UConn close game choke job. Well, they did better this season than I expected.


Signature loss in the national semifinal, three years in a row.


So many head coaches would gladly step right over their own dying mothers in order to have half that level of success. Whether or not UConn has hung a banner the last couple/few seasons, what Geno is continuing to accomplish is so beyond-amazing to me.

Very true. Geno is obviously a phenomenal coach. So happy the Irish were able to win tonight. Now to figure out Baylor...


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 11867
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Sorry Katy Lou, they didn't give you the flop that time. Laughing


I was too busy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing to even make a comment!

And UConn fans complain about ND. I don't want to hear it!!!!!!!!!! EVER. AGAIN.

If she had just taken a regular shot instead of all of the contortions, she probably would have made it the way she had been shooting!



Bullshit. Since I've called out KLS on her flopping bs, i'll continue to call out ND, and anybody else, for theirs.

The difference is, of course, no ND fan here has ever acknowledged a ND flop. Hell, you even insist that Collier stepped on the baseline in Albany vs Louisville when there is photo/video proof to the contrary. Typical.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 5667



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would be interesting to know how much the rest that Muffet gave her players in the first half helped down the stretch.

I know that Arike and Marina sat for a while. Bri sat with the fouls.

Did Jess and Jackie play the whole game? I can't even remember.



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 5667



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Sorry Katy Lou, they didn't give you the flop that time. Laughing


I was too busy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing to even make a comment!

And UConn fans complain about ND. I don't want to hear it!!!!!!!!!! EVER. AGAIN.

If she had just taken a regular shot instead of all of the contortions, she probably would have made it the way she had been shooting!



Bullshit. Since I've called out KLS on her flopping bs, i'll continue to call out ND, and anybody else, for theirs.

The difference is, of course, no ND fan here has ever acknowledged a ND flop. Hell, you even insist that Collier stepped on the baseline in Albany vs Louisville when there is photo/video proof to the contrary. Typical.



I told you the play that I was referencing. I was very specific on the play on the baseline I was talking about. I can't help it that you were vague. And I don't have to acknowledge that she wasn't out. It isn't going to change anything. It isn't going to make you happy. You won that game anyway. Water under the bridge now.



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
patsweetpat



Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 2164
Location: Culver City, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Bummer.

Congrats ND.

More congrats to UConn. I'm surprised they went this far.


Why? Who has UConn played before tonight that has more top-line talent than them?


Notre Dame and Baylor, to name 2. Louisville beat them. They didn't play MS ST or Oregon, Have you noticed their rebounding deficiency?

How many UConn games have you watched this year?


I've only watched a couple of UConn games this season. But my question was who it is that UConn's played thus far who's more talented than them. I note that, per Hoopgurlz, the lowest-ranked UConn player who saw the court today was 6th (overall) in her recruiting class, and three of the players UConn put on the court tonight (or, put another way, 50% of the players actually logging minutes for UConn) happened to be ranked #1 (overall) in their respective recruiting classes. Louisville certainly can't boast anything close to that. No one else whom UConn has faced in the tournament before tonight can boast anything close to that either. And truthfully, not even tonight's opponent can boast anything particularly close to that.

With talent this superlative and with a coach this superlative, honestly, how far should a reasonable observer have expected UConn to get? Given the above, a UConn Final Four appearance certainly doesn't happen to shock *my* socks off.


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4145
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bri Turner breaks 2000 PT threshold and the career blocks record at South Bend.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 11867
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Sorry Katy Lou, they didn't give you the flop that time. Laughing


I was too busy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing to even make a comment!

And UConn fans complain about ND. I don't want to hear it!!!!!!!!!! EVER. AGAIN.

If she had just taken a regular shot instead of all of the contortions, she probably would have made it the way she had been shooting!



Bullshit. Since I've called out KLS on her flopping bs, i'll continue to call out ND, and anybody else, for theirs.

The difference is, of course, no ND fan here has ever acknowledged a ND flop. Hell, you even insist that Collier stepped on the baseline in Albany vs Louisville when there is photo/video proof to the contrary. Typical.



I told you the play that I was referencing. I was very specific on the play on the baseline I was talking about. I can't help it that you were vague. And I don't have to acknowledge that she wasn't out. It isn't going to change anything. It isn't going to make you happy. You won that game anyway. Water under the bridge now.


I wasn't vague at all. You're a person here, another ND fan, that can't acknowledge when they're wrong. No big deal.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 11867
Location: In a world where a dbag like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Bummer.

Congrats ND.

More congrats to UConn. I'm surprised they went this far.


Why? Who has UConn played before tonight that has more top-line talent than them?


Notre Dame and Baylor, to name 2. Louisville beat them. They didn't play MS ST or Oregon, Have you noticed their rebounding deficiency?

How many UConn games have you watched this year?


I've only watched a couple of UConn games this season. But my question was who it is that UConn's played thus far who's more talented than them. I note that, per Hoopgurlz, the lowest-ranked UConn player who saw the court today was 6th (overall) in her recruiting class, and three of the players UConn put on the court tonight (or, put another way, 50% of the players actually logging minutes for UConn) happened to be ranked #1 (overall) in their respective recruiting classes. Louisville certainly can't boast anything close to that. No one else whom UConn has faced in the tournament before tonight can boast anything close to that either. And truthfully, not even tonight's opponent can boast anything particularly close to that.

With talent this superlative and with a coach this superlative, honestly, how far should a reasonable observer have expected UConn to get? Given the above, a UConn Final Four appearance certainly doesn't happen to shock *my* socks off.


My socks haven't left my feet either.

So Baylor beat them with less talent, according to you? As did Lousiville. Did ND too? Games are played on the court and aren't decided by a formula using the ESPN ranking system. UConn is a shit rebounding team.

Seriously, if you think UConn was easily a FF team this year, maybe you need to watch more WCB.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 5667



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Sorry Katy Lou, they didn't give you the flop that time. Laughing


I was too busy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing to even make a comment!

And UConn fans complain about ND. I don't want to hear it!!!!!!!!!! EVER. AGAIN.

If she had just taken a regular shot instead of all of the contortions, she probably would have made it the way she had been shooting!



Bullshit. Since I've called out KLS on her flopping bs, i'll continue to call out ND, and anybody else, for theirs.

The difference is, of course, no ND fan here has ever acknowledged a ND flop. Hell, you even insist that Collier stepped on the baseline in Albany vs Louisville when there is photo/video proof to the contrary. Typical.



I told you the play that I was referencing. I was very specific on the play on the baseline I was talking about. I can't help it that you were vague. And I don't have to acknowledge that she wasn't out. It isn't going to change anything. It isn't going to make you happy. You won that game anyway. Water under the bridge now.


I wasn't vague at all. You're a person here, another ND fan, that can't acknowledge when they're wrong. No big deal.


Well, if I was ever wrong.... Laughing

Seriously, I I thought that you were talking about a different play that was correctly called out. Which is why I said that you needed to watch a little longer and you would see the foot on the baseline. That's why I said that you were vague.



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 5667



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Would be interesting to know how much the rest that Muffet gave her players in the first half helped down the stretch.

I know that Arike and Marina sat for a while. Bri sat with the fouls.

Did Jess and Jackie play the whole game? I can't even remember.



ND total sub time is 14 minutes, spread among 4 players.

Shepherd - 40
Turner - 34
Young - 38
Ogunbowale - 37
Mabry - 37

UConn total sub time is 15 minutes, spread among 3 players (one player getting 12 minutes).

Walker - 28
Samuelson - 40
Dangerfield - 39
Collier - 40
Williams - 38



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
patsweetpat



Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 2164
Location: Culver City, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Bummer.

Congrats ND.

More congrats to UConn. I'm surprised they went this far.


Why? Who has UConn played before tonight that has more top-line talent than them?


Notre Dame and Baylor, to name 2. Louisville beat them. They didn't play MS ST or Oregon, Have you noticed their rebounding deficiency?

How many UConn games have you watched this year?


I've only watched a couple of UConn games this season. But my question was who it is that UConn's played thus far who's more talented than them. I note that, per Hoopgurlz, the lowest-ranked UConn player who saw the court today was 6th (overall) in her recruiting class, and three of the players UConn put on the court tonight (or, put another way, 50% of the players actually logging minutes for UConn) happened to be ranked #1 (overall) in their respective recruiting classes. Louisville certainly can't boast anything close to that. No one else whom UConn has faced in the tournament before tonight can boast anything close to that either. And truthfully, not even tonight's opponent can boast anything particularly close to that.

With talent this superlative and with a coach this superlative, honestly, how far should a reasonable observer have expected UConn to get? Given the above, a UConn Final Four appearance certainly doesn't happen to shock *my* socks off.


My socks haven't left my feet either.

So Baylor beat them with less talent, according to you? As did Lousiville. Did ND too? Games are played on the court and aren't decided by a formula using the ESPN ranking system. UConn is a shit rebounding team.

Seriously, if you think UConn was easily a FF team this year, maybe you need to watch more WCB.


Sometimes less-talented teams happen to beat more-talented teams. You know this. That's not a novel observation.

And yes, the talent-level of the team that Geno deployed this season is indeed mind-boggling to this particular WCB watcher. I guess, though, if I happened to be a UConn fan, maybe I'd eventually get accustomed to seeing multiple #1-recruits wearing my team's jersey at the same time, and perhaps even assume that the Louisvilles of the world must surely be living similarly. That lack of perspective must be an awesome problem to have.


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 5667



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just saw that UConn was out-rebounded by 17! When was the last time that happened?

22-11 o-boards in ND's favor.

32-26 d-boards in ND's favor.



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 5667



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any word on the ref, Nicole Murray?



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez


Last edited by Ex-Ref on 04/05/19 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25415



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you have six #1's and #2's who all play the same position, you still have a problem with balance. Not saying it's exactly that, but you could say 4 of their starters are close to that. Dangerfield is a PG. Ododa is a post. The rest are pretty much wings. They simply don't have enough size against teams with good bigs.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
patsweetpat



Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 2164
Location: Culver City, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
If you have six #1's and #2's who all play the same position, you still have a problem with balance. Not saying it's exactly that, but you could say 4 of their starters are close to that. Dangerfield is a PG. Ododa is a post. The rest are pretty much wings.


Collier averages 11 boards and 2 blocks per game! She averages more blocks than she does trey attempts. Collier's not a wing, man.

ETA: Collier led the AAC in rebounding this season, and was 2nd in the conference in blocks. If she's a wing, then I guess I just don't know what a wing is anymore.




Last edited by patsweetpat on 04/05/19 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikeyc22



Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 2374



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Sorry Katy Lou, they didn't give you the flop that time. Laughing


Shocking this is the only comment you made tonight despite your team having the two biggest flop artists in WCBB. Go Baylor!


mikeyc22



Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 2374



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/05/19 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn has the chance Shut the door but missed layups. If anything, Walker, Williams and Nelson-Ododa gave more offensive promise for the future than Dangerfield.


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 12097
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/19 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was.....CLOSE. Shocked I noticed that early on. Razz

Like the first semifinal, both coaches and teams played a deliberate, modest-tempo game that really resembled a chess match; not so much like the *old* days of Diggins 'n Dolson, where the players just played on raw-but-well-honed instincts, like pickup ball in Harlem.

But it's ALLLLL Good. Excellent, even. Really. There were constant in-game adjustments, and players rising up to the challenge of what unknown was coming next.

Big Kudos to both for a game that brought High Quality to our fandom here. Neither team should feel anything but pride, though that's easier said than done for the huskies.



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 778
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/19 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Both teams are set up to bounce in theory. ND's 2nd half vs the trees was a clinic. I have another theory that I picked up from golf, and it's that teams usually start games the way they ended their last. Based on that the Irish should start out hot while UConn should start tentative. That only applies for the 1st period at most.


Yeah, or ND will fall into their typical pattern and start out slow...

linkster wrote:

The only advantage UConn has is that they are more accustomed to all the bright lights and media coverage around them this week.


Yeah, because ND has not had any bright lights on them lately. It's not like they, say, won the NC last year or anything...Wink

linkster wrote:

And I have no idea what's going to happen. If it is 20-15 at the half I won't be shocked. And surprisingly, I am not consumed by the thought of losing. It's been a better year than I thought and there is hope for next year in the upside of the young players.

And I've been admiring Bueckers' game streams for 2 years and the thought of her possibly playing 150+ games for UConn has my cup runnething over. Everything else this weekend is just gravy.


Actually for UConn, this year's recruiting class is as much about quantity as quality. I figure unless they get some transfers (not just a one year type), they will need to have a class of 5-6 players at least to get a comfortable team size. Next year ND and UConn (not factoring in transfers) will have the same number of scholarship players, but ND will have one senior and one other player with only 1 year of eligibility left. UConn will have 4 players graduating, so besides being 2-3 players down from where the coach likes to be (11-12 players) they will also have to replace those 4.


CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 778
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/19 12:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Hell for a minute I thought they were going to cut down the nets.


BTW, I saw a video about the history of cutting down the nets and it turned out that the coach who started it ended up at NC State and died of cancer. WTF is it with NC St. coaches and cancer. It's like that school is cursed or something.


CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 778
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/19 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
That Muffet/Geno postgame handshake was about as perfunctory as they come. Those two genuinely don't like each other, do they?


Well, when UConn wins, Geno tends to spend more time on the handshake... Wink


Fighting Artichoke



Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 3696



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/19 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Actually for UConn, this year's recruiting class is as much about quantity as quality. I figure unless they get some transfers (not just a one year type), they will need to have a class of 5-6 players at least to get a comfortable team size. Next year ND and UConn (not factoring in transfers) will have the same number of scholarship players, but ND will have one senior and one other player with only 1 year of eligibility left. UConn will have 4 players graduating, so besides being 2-3 players down from where the coach likes to be (11-12 players) they will also have to replace those 4.


UConn will be short on bodies next season (without transfers) but they should be fine. They retain 3 starters from this year and get the experience boost from them (primarily Megan and Christyn, as Danger is pretty much a finished product), get a rising ONO (who should really exhibit that freshman bump Huskies are famous for) and thus only have one starter spot up in the air. It could be Griffin or a transfer, or even Camara if she is healthy enough.

As for losing 4 players the next year, only one is likely to be a starter (Dangerfield) or even someone who would play more than spot minutes against a good team (Camara, Irwin and Bent). No offense to those players, but they aren't likely to see competitive minutes during their UConn careers, so their departure should not hurt the Huskies.

And they already have a great PG coming in that year (Bueckers) so they are off to a great start in replacing their losses.


Fighting Artichoke



Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 3696



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/19 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
linkster wrote:
Hell for a minute I thought they were going to cut down the nets.


BTW, I saw a video about the history of cutting down the nets and it turned out that the coach who started it ended up at NC State and died of cancer. WTF is it with NC St. coaches and cancer. It's like that school is cursed or something.

They are on Tobacco Road, right?


CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 778
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/19 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Those of you interested in Rebecca Lobo's legs should note this:

https://twitter.com/GolicAndWingo/status/1114173156997107712


BTW, this reminds of the time the Sue Bird agreed to a bet where if she didn't have an A/TO ratio of 2.0 for the season, a radio DJ would be allowed to spank her on air while she said "Harder, daddy, harder!" (I think he had to go to every home game if he lost).

The WNBA made her back off that bet, which was a shame because out of curiosity I checked at the end of the season and she actually had an A/TO ratio of 2.0.

I have to admit that I respect her for making that bet (and winning it if it had gone on). It was just a shame that the WNBA didn't have enough confidence in her game to let her go through with it.


CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 778
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/06/19 12:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
All the UConn hates come out Laughing Mulkey is the lesser of two evils so go Bears!


I've got a couple of nieces in the WVU band. The older one, the first time she was at a Baylor/WVU game, made the comment that Mulkey "looked scary..."


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin