RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#2 Connecticut vs #1 Notre Dame - 4/05/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Connecticut
30%
 30%  [ 11 ]
Notre Dame
69%
 69%  [ 25 ]
Total Votes : 36

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/05/19 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The key will be Meg and Christyn. When these 2 contribute from the start, it is difficult for the opposing team to overplay their defense.

lvf08

PostPosted: 04/05/19 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I won't be surprised if UConn wins, especially if they play like they did against Louisville.

Shades

PostPosted: 04/05/19 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lvf08 wrote:
I won't be surprised if UConn wins, especially if they play like they did against Louisville.

Tough to say. This will be the first time all tournament that UConn has played far from home, and this season they’ve been vulnerable away from home.

Same goes for ND. This will be the first time all tournament that they have played far from home, and for some reason they seem to stink playing in Florida. I remember them losing twice in Miami in the last few years.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
linkster

PostPosted: 04/05/19 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
linkster wrote:
Is anyone even going to mention Notre Dame's 18 point loss at home to the Huskies on 12/2?

I admit that the Irish offense looks awesome but they looked awesome back in December too. UConn was a lot questions in December and far fewer now.

How would your bump theory play out tonight?

Both teams are set up to bounce in theory. ND's 2nd half vs the trees was a clinic. I have another theory that I picked up from golf, and it's that teams usually start games the way they ended their last. Based on that the Irish should start out hot while UConn should start tentative. That only applies for the 1st period at most.

The only advantage UConn has is that they are more accustomed to all the bright lights and media coverage around them this week.
And I have no idea what's going to happen. If it is 20-15 at the half I won't be shocked. And surprisingly, I am not consumed by the thought of losing. It's been a better year than I thought and there is hope for next year in the upside of the young players.
And I've been admiring Bueckers' game streams for 2 years and the thought of her possibly playing 150+ games for UConn has my cup runnething over. Everything else this weekend is just gravy.

tfan

PostPosted: 04/05/19 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tuvdVkCoNT8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aLt3FMO1bfM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tfan

PostPosted: 04/05/19 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tuvdVkCoNT8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/aLt3FMO1bfM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tfan

PostPosted: 04/05/19 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_rrw1tWzPAo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tfan

PostPosted: 04/05/19 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TE1lfIhsU4U" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/05/19 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Sure:

Quote:
1. Mabrey had missed the first 5 games of the season and had only just got back and was definitely not in playing shape at that time. She literally played more minutes in that game than she had played in the season up to that point.

Do you keep a file cabinet filled with excuses for every N Dame loss for the last 50 years?

I notice that you didn't actually didn't address the issue. Would that be a factor or wouldn't it? Mabrey was a combined 5-19 from 3 point range in her first 3 games coming off the injury. She was 9-14 from 3 point range in the next 3 games. It was almost like she needed wasn't at 100% for those first 3 games.

Well, I could be like a lot of UConn fans and just say "we lost the game because of how the refs called fouls!" Wink

Yeah, yeah, yeah. UConn improved since that game and ND didn't. Sure. Go ahead. Believe that.

linkster wrote:

So a NPOY candidate returns to play and it is an excuse for losing? UConn was trying to replace half their rotation.

Funny thing, but many UConn fans actually warned about this before the game. Yes, sometimes when you add someone (even a very good player) the change in dynamic takes some time to adjust. Shepard was now playing a different position and was getting used to the change.

ND had four different starting lineups in their first eight games. The early going was hardly as smooth as you seem to be suggesting.

linkster wrote:

The truth is that ND's defense needed to help on other UConn players and MM decided to let Williams beat them, and she did. Bad coaching decision.

Are you suggesting that ND is still in that same situation and that McGraw would repeat that mistake?

linkster wrote:

Funny but I don't remember anyone talking about a lack of focus back then.

Really? Because I seem to recall McGraw and Ogunbowale apologizing to the ND fans after the game. Oh, you mean before the game. Yeah, it didn't seem as obvious until the UConn game.

linkster wrote:

But I wonder if Notre Dame is as hungry this year. Very few teams repeat.

Very few teams are in a position to repeat. In the last 25 years only 9 teams not named UConn or Tennessee won the NC. How many had key seniors who graduated?

2001: ND's first NC team graduated 3 starters, including their PG and center.
2011: Texas A&M's Danielle Adams was a senior who was the dominant force on that team

Baylor probably should have repeated (this goes in your favor) in 2013 but the refs "let them play" against Louisville much to the detriment of Griner.

How many NC teams return almost everyone the following year?

linkster

PostPosted: 04/05/19 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The truth is that ND's defense needed to help on other UConn players and MM decided to let Williams beat them, and she did. Bad coaching decision.

Quote:
Are you suggesting that ND is still in that same situation and that McGraw would repeat that mistake?

No. But having to cover her better maybe mean Collier and/or KLS won't be doubled as much. But who knows what will unfold?

Funny but I don't remember anyone talking about a lack of focus back then.

Quote:
Really? Because I seem to recall McGraw and Ogunbowale apologizing to the ND fans after the game. Oh, you mean before the game. Yeah, it didn't seem as obvious until the UConn game.

So Arike's mugging of Dangerfield - TWICE - is now being described as "a lack of focus"?

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/05/19 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oops. wrong thread.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/05/19 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So who would UConn fans rather face, BU or O? BU destroyed UConn in the paint this season, so I have a slight preference for O.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/05/19 6:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
lvf08 wrote:

Tough to say. This will be the first time all tournament that UConn has played far from home, and this season they’ve been vulnerable away from home.

Same goes for ND. This will be the first time all tournament that they have played far from home, and for some reason they seem to stink playing in Florida. I remember them losing twice in Miami in the last few years.

They'll be wearing the white unis tonight though! Wink Very Happy Laughing

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
zune69

PostPosted: 04/05/19 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think UConn wins a close one. ND backcourt defense is very mediocre. Dangerfield and Williams are going to come up big.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
I think UConn wins a close one. ND backcourt defense is very mediocre. Dangerfield and Williams are going to come up big.

I don't wanna say it but i think this could be true. Id prefer Baylor Play UCONN in the final so we can trade 2's for 3's again Laughing

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

I don't wanna day it but i think this could be true. Id prefer Baylor Play UCONN in the final so we can play 2's for 3's again Laughing

I was rooting for Ionescu/Oregon to win the Championship. Unfortunately Baylor prevailed. Now I'm left with 3 teams I can't stand. Not because of the players, but because of the arrogant head coaches. The only player I'm not feeling is Mabrey.

Last edited by zune69 on 04/05/19 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game makes me nervous.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't forget the fans, Kara.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect Baylor is rooting for UConn.

- Amanda Gorman
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn! I was hoping that Marina had found her shot by now.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a first. I don't remember ever seeing a ref go down and out, as it looks like will be the case here.

Brinx

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dang, I hope that ref is ok. She looked like she was in a lot of pain.

PRballer

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ogunbowale takes off plays on D, wow.

Ref injury looks painful 😖

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ogunbowale is a horrible defender its outrageous sometimes. Did the official just possibly tear something on a freak accident fall? I pray its not that but she was grabbing around the meniscus area. Never seen something like this in a final four !

PostPosted: 04/05/19 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very impressive defense by Collier to start this game( 2 blocks on Shepard)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: