RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Trouble at N. KY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/26/19 1:52 pm    ::: Trouble at N. KY Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
A player on Northern Kentucky University women's basketball team has accused the head coach of being emotionally abusive and the university of silencing allegations.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2019/03/26/nku-womens-basketball-coach-camryn-whitaker-bullying-abuse-accusation/3276275002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
justintyme

PostPosted: 03/27/19 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just read that article. Terrible. I had tough coaches that I absolutely loved back in the day, but there was always that line of respect. They were tough, but they respected us as people and individuals and we respected them in return. Without that underlying respect, toughness turns into full on abuse real quick. And that is destructive rather than constructive.

PostPosted: 03/27/19 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
I just read that article. Terrible. I had tough coaches that I absolutely loved back in the day, but there was always that line of respect. They were tough, but they respected us as people and individuals and we respected them in return. Without that underlying respect, toughness turns into full on abuse real quick. And that is destructive rather than constructive.

This is the one that I think got me the most.

Quote:
“When Kasey (Utrecht and Shar'Rae (Davis) were spotted sitting next to each other on the bus in the middle of a four-game road trip, Kasey was again reprimanded and played only a few minutes in the game," Taugher wrote. "Shar'Rae did not play at all and was forced to sit alone at the end of the bench. Word quickly spread that if you associated with Shar'Rae, then your playing time would diminish and you would face the wrath of Coach Whitaker. Shar'Rae sat alone on the bus, in the restaurant, and was even moved into her own hotel room when everyone else had a roommate.”

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/27/19 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
justintyme wrote:

This is the one that I think got me the most.

Quote:
“When Kasey (Utrecht and Shar'Rae (Davis) were spotted sitting next to each other on the bus in the middle of a four-game road trip, Kasey was again reprimanded and played only a few minutes in the game," Taugher wrote. "Shar'Rae did not play at all and was forced to sit alone at the end of the bench. Word quickly spread that if you associated with Shar'Rae, then your playing time would diminish and you would face the wrath of Coach Whitaker. Shar'Rae sat alone on the bus, in the restaurant, and was even moved into her own hotel room when everyone else had a roommate.”

That’s so far beyond abusive I don’t even know what to call it.

PostPosted: 04/02/19 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Shar’Rae Davis was at the top of her game and ready to win a championship her senior year at Northern Kentucky University. She says that season turned disastrous when the new women’s basketball coach, Camryn Whitaker, pitted the team against her and used her medical condition as punishment for her and her teammates.

Davis has severe ulcerative colitis, which causes unexpected, urgent trips to the bathroom. Sometimes they came in the middle of practice or during the national anthem. Other times she had to be hospitalized and would miss practice, which then resulted in sitting on the bench.

“It made me feel hopeless,” Davis said in an interview. “Like 'wow, there’s nothing I can do to fix currently what I have.'”

One day in the middle of a drill, Davis had to run out of practice suddenly to get to the bathroom. Whitaker blew her whistle and demanded the team “get on the line.” Whitaker yelled down the hallway at Davis and to other players that they were going to run sprints until Davis returned.

Quote:
Uetrecht, who is from Oregonia, Ohio, was a junior on the team when she left the team in the middle of the night at that same away trip that Davis described having her own hotel room. After enduring and witnessing the abuse that season under Whitaker, she said she felt like there was no other way out.

“I was at such a low point in my life,” Uetrecht said in an interview. “I had never felt so broken before and she had completely destroyed any confidence or love for the game I had.”

With about two weeks left in the 2016-17 season, Uetrecht’s parents picked her up from that hotel and drove her home.

“I just started crying because I left this weight lifted off of my shoulders that she didn’t have control over me anymore,” Uetrecht said.

Quote:
After Taugher's report, she said Whitaker found out that one of the players went to Title IX. Taugher said during a team meeting in the film room Whitaker said, "I don't know who's trying to ruin my life… but I want to let you know that I am invincible and I am not going anywhere. I am your coach. I signed a contract and I'm not going anywhere."

Quote:
Davis has gone through multiple coaching staffs at the collegiate level and said she’s learned the difference between someone “who’s going to break your house down and build you a better house” and someone who is “just breaking your house down.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2019/04/02/ex-northern-kentucky-basketball-players-dad-discuss-toxic-environment/3339818002/

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/02/19 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This woman should not be coaching anywhere. That story just made me want to run to the bathroom and throw up.

PostPosted: 05/10/19 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UPDATE: North Kentucky decides to keep coach Camryn Whitaker! Surprised

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/05/09/nku-keeps-womens-basketball-coach-players-emotional-abuse-allegations/1154469001/

PostPosted: 05/10/19 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They are nuts. I predict there will be more and worse.

PostPosted: 05/10/19 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duplicate, sorry.

PostPosted: 05/10/19 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/behind-closed-doors-what-really-is-going-on-with-the-womens-basketball-team-at-northern-kentucky-university

PostPosted: 05/10/19 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
https://www.theodysseyonline.com/behind-closed-doors-what-really-is-going-on-with-the-womens-basketball-team-at-northern-kentucky-university
Deeply disturbing account of a player's experience with this abusive coach. Times are changing. Northern Kentucky needs to change, too.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/10/19 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She certainly sounds like a sadistic bitch....I'd think someone like her, with her assistant experience at places like Kentucky, might have been flagged long ago, but....there it is.

PostPosted: 05/11/19 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Findings of external report released. You jump on the bandwagon posters need to take a step back.

https://www.thenortherner.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Summary-Report_FINAL.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3pqc3eJ4RiM7Tc_SwMdzKJH-j-Bm4iFuQG6fOK4xTZkPNECadJh38wVj0

Matt5762

PostPosted: 05/11/19 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lillian Hidgepork wrote:
Findings of external report released. You jump on the bandwagon posters need to take a step back.

https://www.thenortherner.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Summary-Report_FINAL.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3pqc3eJ4RiM7Tc_SwMdzKJH-j-Bm4iFuQG6fOK4xTZkPNECadJh38wVj0

Seems like they tried pretty hard not to "substantiate" anything so they could line up these findings in Whitaker's favor. Just as hard as Georgia Tech's report tried to line things up against Joseph.

Pretty much only furthers the idea that these "independent reviews" really only measure a coach's popularity within the department.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/11/19 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:
Lillian Hidgepork wrote:

Seems like they tried pretty hard not to "substantiate" anything so they could line up these findings in Whitaker's favor. Just as hard as Georgia Tech's report tried to line things up against Joseph.

Pretty much only furthers the idea that these "independent reviews" really only measure a coach's popularity within the department.

X__________

PostPosted: 05/11/19 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
We contacted 37 individuals and 33 agreed to participate in an interview.

We spent almost 50 hours on this review. We met with each person for an average of one hour with some taking more time and some taking less time

So they spent 33 of 50 hours interviewing. That left 2.5 days for the following (and contacting 37 people!):

Quote:
We reviewed the posts on NKU’s unofficial fan page by parents and others (3/24/19), the Odyssey Online post by a player (3/25/19), a LRT news interview with a player, several Cincinnati Enquirer articles, tweets, an Odyssey Online post by eight current players (3/30/2019), Facebook posts by a player and associated comments (4/4/19), video of senior night (2/24/2019), annual performance evaluations of Whitaker, player survey results, a Title IX file, an HR file, two papers written by former players, text messages provided by interviewees, a WCPO interview, and a Northerner article (4/3/19) as well as other social media postings.

PLUS writing the report????????????

Shocked Rolling Eyes

Howee

PostPosted: 05/11/19 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The eloquent details provided by the player in question (who also related things about another player) are most probably NOT the work of a merely disgruntled kid at a relatively low-level mid major, who openly acknowledges she doesn't have pro aspirations. It just doesn't jive with normal logic.

"Other kids" in the program who may vouch for the coach are also not always telling the truth....kinda like the Stockholm Syndrome, where people begin to empathize with their captor.

Rene Portland's debacle wasn't just a whimsical mood swing about one player. By the time Jennifer Harris made her case, the depth and longevity of Portland's insanity was well-entrenched AND many players still stood by her.

I certainly wasn't anywhere NKY's program, but....these kinds of allegations should never be ignored, and "50 hours" ain't nearly enough time to document all that's available. IMO, if the 'investigators' could find 3 or more witnesses to corroborate that even ONE kid was so routinely isolated and mistreated, that's all I'd need to know.

PostPosted: 05/11/19 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
UPDATE: North Kentucky decides to keep coach Camryn Whitaker! Surprised

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/05/09/nku-keeps-womens-basketball-coach-players-emotional-abuse-allegations/1154469001/

EXTREMELY similar to what happened at Duke. It really is vomit inducing.

Of all the Asst Coaches Duke has had under JPM, TWO have left for Head Coaching positions. One of those two just got fired, the other just got hired. The rest of them all left for lateral positions elsewhere or got fired, some got fired by phone by a third party. In other words, the only people who can leave and go to work right away have done so. LOTS of players stayed at Duke only to get a Duke degree. Many received psych counseling to either recover after leaving or to stick it out.

And the witch is still at Duke, just like this one at N.Kentucky.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: