RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UNC Staff Placed on Leave Amid Review of Program
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/30/19 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the Final Four a few years ago, I crossed paths with Coach Banghart.

She was surprised that I knew who she was. She was very nice. I hope that she does well at UNC.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 04/30/19 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Official on Banghart

https://goheels.com/news/2019/4/30/banghart-to-lead-carolinas-womens-basketball-program.aspx

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/30/19 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To get into Princeton, you have to have read the classics.

To get into UNC, you don't even have to know how to read.

PostPosted: 04/30/19 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regardless of the athletic department scandal, UNC is still incredibly competitive for out-of-state admittance and is considered one of the best public universities. It has an incredible reputation so let's not lose sight of that here.

The fact they hired Banghart over Charlotte Smith is a sign they are serious about their women's basketball program. If you like women's basketball - which I know you all do - you have to laud the athletic administration for making this hire.

Signed,
A Duke fan

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 04/30/19 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Regardless of the athletic department scandal, UNC is still incredibly competitive for out-of-state admittance and is considered one of the best public universities. It has an incredible reputation so let's not lose sight of that here.

The fact they hired Banghart over Charlotte Smith is a sign they are serious about their women's basketball program. If you like women's basketball - which I know you all do - you have to laud the athletic administration for making this hire.

Signed,
A Duke fan

Cosigned, a Kentucky fan

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/30/19 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

If you think Elon isn't academically competitive for a small college, you would be mistaken. It's one of those tough little schools, kind of a hidden gem. And UNC is likewise quite competitive for out-of-state admissions.

PostPosted: 04/30/19 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:

If you think Elon isn't academically competitive for a small college, you would be mistaken. It's one of those tough little schools, kind of a hidden gem. And UNC is likewise quite competitive for out-of-state admissions.

Unless you're Rashard McCants ...

PostPosted: 04/30/19 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Board/104773/Contents/Now-the-Real-Coaching-Search-Begins-131340393/

Huge culture shock for Banghart and for NC both.

It's hard for me to even imagine the culture shock for Banghart. Not only has she been coaching at Princeton for 12 years, but she's a Dartmouth grad and she was an ass't coach there as well. She'll be coming from schools of academic excellence, where academics are a priority. Not so much at UNC with the bogus classes.

There will also be, I suspect, the regional culture shock of moving to the South, and recruiting kids to a school there.

All of these are reasons why (IMHO) it made more sense for her to wait until the Duke job opens up.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/30/19 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

https://247sports.com/college/north-carolina/Board/104773/Contents/Now-the-Real-Coaching-Search-Begins-131340393/

It's hard for me to even imagine the culture shock for Banghart. Not only has she been coaching at Princeton for 12 years, but she's a Dartmouth grad and she was an ass't coach there as well. She'll be coming from schools of academic excellence, where academics are a priority. Not so much at UNC with the bogus classes.

There will also be, I suspect, the regional culture shock of moving to the South, and recruiting kids to a school there.

All of these are reasons why (IMHO) it made more sense for her to wait until the Duke job opens up.

For those who don't know, I've chosen to talk about the Duke coaching situation much like the Sheila/Trudi situation the Mystics had. Just focus on that time when the owners/administration decide to get rid of the clearly inept and put together a competitive team. I've found plenty of fun things to do instead of being miserable going to games literally over my back fence.

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/01/19 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:

The men's basketball team is quite another thing, separate from the realm of all other students. For ordinary students, it's a whole other thing. I could try to tell you about it, but I doubt you'd want to listen.

PostPosted: 05/01/19 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:

The men's basketball team is quite another thing, separate from the realm of all other students. For ordinary students, it's a whole other thing. I could try to tell you about it, but I doubt you'd want to listen.

Actually I believe you ... it's just the sheer hypocrisy of North Carolina that sets me off. They are, from one perspective, a solid academic school, but when it comes to athletics, their ethics go out the window and they just make stuff up.

PostPosted: 05/01/19 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I agree that, based on Banghart's bio at least, Duke would be a better fit. But how long should she wait, in the hope not only that there would be an opening, but also that she'd be chosen to fill it? Duke passed up a chance to make a move not long ago, possibly signaling it could be a long wait. (I'm sorry to have to say that to you.)

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/01/19 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find Banghart to UNC very interesting, and pretty surprising. She could have had any number of jobs and is choosing to walk into a big old mess. A lot of potential at UNC for sure, but it seems they are in a big hole ATM.

On a more personal note, I am pretty disappointed to see her take the job. This off-season, three of the potential candidates (Banghart, Keiger, Duffy) I was hoping could end up at Purdue all took new jobs while Purdue sat on its ass.

CHSHog

PostPosted: 05/01/19 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Voepel puts the UNC admin on the hot seat here and questions (politely) the Banghart hire. I normally think Voepel write puff pieces for major programs, but I think this is appropriately questioning:

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26640765/is-north-carolina-really-committed-returning-women-basketball-top?platform=amp

PostPosted: 05/01/19 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CHSHog wrote:
Voepel puts the UNC admin on the hot seat here and questions (politely) the Banghart hire. I normally think Voepel write puff pieces for major programs, but I think this is appropriately questioning:

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26640765/is-north-carolina-really-committed-returning-women-basketball-top?platform=amp

Did I miss where MV said who UNC should have hired? I'm thinking that with the mess that UNC is, why would a successful P5 coach want the job??

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Coyotes

PostPosted: 05/01/19 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
CHSHog wrote:

Did I miss where MV said who UNC should have hired? I'm thinking that with the mess that UNC is, why would a successful P5 coach want the job??

Honestly, I think that the consensus is that Banghart is a good hire. The issue is largely with how the administration parted with Hatchell and how badly they bungled her departure. If I recall, it was announced in a midnight news article or tweet. They haven’t done a great job of building up excitement around the Banghart hire either, so, really, how supportive is this administration anyway?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 05/02/19 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
CHSHog wrote:

Honestly, I think that the consensus is that Banghart is a good hire. The issue is largely with how the administration parted with Hatchell and how badly they bungled her departure. If I recall, it was announced in a midnight news article or tweet. They haven’t done a great job of building up excitement around the Banghart hire either, so, really, how supportive is this administration anyway?

Couldn't MV have done that without throwing CB under the bus like she did?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/02/19 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
CHSHog wrote:

I don't think that is the consensus, at least not in terms of Voepel. She explicitly attacks the hire of Banghart as a bad choice made by the administration to suggest they don't care. Her rationale is strange, but Banghart as a disappointing hire is the centerpiece of her argument.

Howee

PostPosted: 05/02/19 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Coyotes wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
CHSHog wrote:

I don't think that is the consensus, at least not in terms of Voepel. She explicitly attacks the hire of Banghart as a bad choice made by the administration to suggest they don't care. Her rationale is strange, but Banghart as a disappointing hire is the centerpiece of her argument.

I dunno....I got the impression MV is of the mind that, with UNC's history, it's a vacancy that deserved a well-deliberated hiring process; I don't think she's of the opinion Banghart is a poor coach, but Mechelle is of the opinion that UNC didn't give their hiring process the full consideration it deserved, i.e., "they don't care" is legit in this instance. In other words, "Let's get this over with" carried more weight than "Who can best resurrect our women's program".

PostPosted: 05/02/19 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:

The "fake class" embarrassment is a total non-event with respect to the academic reputation and excellence of UNC. The reality is the North Carolina is one of a very small handful of public universities (along with UVA, Mich, UCLA, Cal, and a couple other California system schools) that can stand head-to-head with the elite private institutions.

As but one measure, USNews ranks UNC 30th overall and 6th among public universities. That's pretty rarified turf.

I promise you that there's not an employer or graduate/professional school admissions committee that gives a damn about some obscure fake classes several years ago when reviewing applications for hiring or admissions today.

ClayK

PostPosted: 05/02/19 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
CourtsideTix wrote:

The "fake class" embarrassment is a total non-event with respect to the academic reputation and excellence of UNC. The reality is the North Carolina is one of a very small handful of public universities (along with UVA, Mich, UCLA, Cal, and a couple other California system schools) that can stand head-to-head with the elite private institutions.

As but one measure, USNews ranks UNC 30th overall and 6th among public universities. That's pretty rarified turf.

I promise you that there's not an employer or graduate/professional school admissions committee that gives a damn about some obscure fake classes several years ago when reviewing applications for hiring or admissions today.

I would agree ... but of course that means UNC cynically and unethically boosted its athletic programs without a hint of shame or punishment from the NCAA.

There is such a thing as honor ...

PostPosted: 05/02/19 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

There is such a thing as honor ...

Hiring Banghart helps restore some honor to the UNC WBB program. They could have done a LOT worse.

Mack Brown may not be bad for UNC football either.

Restoring honor doesn't appear to be a priority for MBB, but then again, there's not a lot of honor to go around in the entire cesspool of college MBB these days.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 05/03/19 6:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Our experience with CB - She was persistent in trying to recruit my daughter to play for Princeton. We enjoyed our conversations with her, and I have quite a bit of family in the New Jersey area so it would have been convenient However, while my daughter had good grades in high school, they were not “Princeton-good”. While she would have fit in very well with the basketball team as far as her basketball skills, she thought that people on campus would look at her as just another “dumb jock”. Especially since one of my nephews, who was a 4.2 GPA private school student (and is starting Medical School this fall), could not even get an interview after he applied to Princeton 2 years earlier. I think the academics piece hampered the recruiting ability at Princeton.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/06/19 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
The "fake class" embarrassment is a total non-event with respect to the academic reputation and excellence of UNC.

Except where the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools’ Commission on Colleges placed the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on a year-long probationary period — the harshest sanction before revocation of accreditation.

Quote:
"Our board debated," said Belle Whelan, president of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission, one of the two largest accreditation agencies in the country. "There were some that wanted to drop them."

That means ending North Carolina's accreditation as an institution of higher learning. Oklahoma assistant professor and NCAA reformer Gerald Gurney told CBS Sports in May 2016 that "students simply would not attend the university if it were not accredited."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/major-national-accreditation-agency-considered-dropping-north-carolina/

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 05/07/19 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Except where the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools’ Commission on Colleges placed the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill on a year-long probationary period — the harshest sanction before revocation of accreditation.

Nothing but a face saving move by the Commission. Pretended to do something while everyone knew there was less than zero possibility of UNC ever losing its accreditation. None. Zero. Nada.

And if you believe for one millisecond that any prize high school senior turned down a Moorehead-Cain scholarship, any med school, law school, MBA program or grad school rejected a UNC grad, or any employer stopped interviewing UNC grads because of the fake class fiasco or the Southern States probation, you are completely dreaming. I think you know better.

Sports writers looking for clickbait were the only people pretending this mattered to the larger university.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: