RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Muffet on Hiring and Lots of Other Stuff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/30/19 1:38 pm    ::: Muffet on Hiring and Lots of Other Stuff Reply Reply with quote

I'm taking the second article out of this because, now that I've read the ThinkProgress article, there is a lot more in it than I first thought.

Quote:
Asked whether she plans to ever hire a male coach again, she doesn’t hesitate: “No.”

The quote has some on McGraw's Bench at ND Nation asking if what she said was legal.

I'm thinking that what she said is fine. She didn't say that she wouldn't hire a male coach. She didn't say that she wouldn't consider a male coach. She didn't say that she wouldn't interview a male coach. All she said is that she doesn't plan on hiring one.

The optimist in me says that she KNOWS that she will not be in a position to be hiring another coach. That her assistants are going to be like Iowa's and stay as long as Muffet is coaching. Or even that she's not planning on them leaving.

Even if that's not reality, maybe a male coach will come along that just blows her away and she chooses to hire him. OK, that wasn't her plan, but plans change all the time.

I'm not planning on taking a trip to the moon, but if I was offered one, I'd go in a heart beat!!!!

https://thinkprogress.org/this-top-womens-college-basketball-coach-is-done-hiring-men-5f3b6d06609b/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/30/19 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a bad question. Nobody would ask Jim Boeheim (for example) if he plans on hiring a female assistant, even though the men's game is far, far more discriminatory on the hiring front.

PostPosted: 03/30/19 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never say ‘never’ to hiring a male or female coach

https://www.ctpost.com/sports/jeffjacobs/article/Jeff-Jacobs-Never-say-never-to-hiring-a-13729234.php

Quote:
Horrible answer. There are many reasons that would lead McGraw to argue the pipeline for developing women coaches should flow freer and faster. Any with a love of the game certainly should scream that the incorporation of women coaches into men’s college and the NBA has been humiliatingly slow.

Yet when you use absolutes like ever and never you lose me. Count me out. I’d argue what McGraw said was sexist, absolutely divisive.

PostPosted: 03/30/19 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Never say ‘never’ to hiring a male or female coach

https://www.ctpost.com/sports/jeffjacobs/article/Jeff-Jacobs-Never-say-never-to-hiring-a-13729234.php

Quote:
Horrible answer. There are many reasons that would lead McGraw to argue the pipeline for developing women coaches should flow freer and faster. Any with a love of the game certainly should scream that the incorporation of women coaches into men’s college and the NBA has been humiliatingly slow.

Yet when you use absolutes like ever and never you lose me. Count me out. I’d argue what McGraw said was sexist, absolutely divisive.

Obviously he's a writer and not a reader. Rolling Eyes

You can't take the answer without the question. That's poor, biased journalism.

Quote:

And I'd argue that as much as that article jumped around, he's not so good at the writing thing either.

Quote:
Take Walz’s quote. This highly successful alpha male chiding his own governor and sticking up for his girls. Someone would ask why does he feel the need to be so overprotective of these powerful young women?

So what are they Jeff?? Girls or women? That's a continuity error that a high schooler shouldn't make.

He may be the 10-time sports writer of the year in Connecticut, but we need to remember, it is an awfully small state.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PRballer

PostPosted: 03/31/19 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I do agree that women’s basketball can be a bastion (or leader) in driving diversity and inclusion in the sport, and perhaps all sports, the most pertinent and pressing issue of the day is not about LGBTQ inclusion or male/female ratio - it’s ensuring women of color have the opportunity to lead and coach at the highest levels. To me it’s both the major urgency and glaring hole in the women’s game.

Let Muffet do her thing. She wins at a high level.

Hire more women of color in head jobs and top P5 assistant jobs.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/31/19 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Considering that her last two hires were former players, if she keeps going that route she's not likely to hire a male coach anyway.

I don't think she's had many former players who are men... Wink

gpark33

PostPosted: 03/31/19 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe she's just recently finished reading, The Power.

PostPosted: 03/31/19 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Considering that her last two hires were former players, if she keeps going that route she's not likely to hire a male coach anyway.

I don't think she's had many former players who are men... Wink

Weren't the last two Beth and Carol?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/03/19 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Muffet won't take Geno's bait.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/notre-dame/2019/03/31/notre-dames-muffet-mcgraw-wants-see-more-women-coaches-hired/3324837002/

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 04/03/19 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/notre-dame/2019/03/31/notre-dames-muffet-mcgraw-wants-see-more-women-coaches-hired/3324837002/

“Muffet is entitled to hire anybody she wants,” Auriemma continued, according to the official transcript provided by the NCAA. “I don’t know why she feels the need to make a statement about it. I’ve never hired a guy as one of my assistants either. I’m not going to make a statement about it. Every coach does what they feel comfortable doing.”

Rolling Eyes

You just did, Luigi.....in fact, your entire response here - after admitting that you hadn't even read the ThinkProgress.org article - is one big statement about it.....

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/04/19 7:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

“Muffet is entitled to hire anybody she wants,” Auriemma continued, according to the official transcript provided by the NCAA. “I don’t know why she feels the need to make a statement about it. I’ve never hired a guy as one of my assistants either. I’m not going to make a statement about it. Every coach does what they feel comfortable doing.”

Rolling Eyes

You just did, Luigi.....in fact, your entire response here - after admitting that you hadn't even read the ThinkProgress.org article - is one big statement about it.....

Laughing

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 06/15/19 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought that there was another thread on this, but I didn't find it and I don't have time to do an in depth search.

Quote:
McGraw used to employ a male assistant because she thought it was valuable for her players to see a woman supervise a man. These days, though? “We’ve been to five Final Fours with our all-female staffs.”

I somehow missed this. What a dumbass question!!!! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
(At the same press conference where she delivered her stirring complaint, she was asked if she and UConn coach/rival Geno Auriemma would have gotten married had the circumstances of their lives been different. She laughed and said no. She says now, “When I got that question, I wanted to scream and unload on him. But I didn’t. Geno unloaded on him, and it was absolutely appropriate.”)

Quote:
Any time a prominent woman comes to visit Notre Dame, McGraw brings her in to speak to the team. Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice came by; so did Cathy Engelbert, who played for McGraw at Lehigh. Engelbert was then the U.S. CEO of Deloitte—now she’s the commissioner of the WNBA.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2019/06/13/muffet-mcgraw-notre-dame-womens-equality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: