RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Female Coaches: Here is How Schools are Getting Rid of Us

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 03/25/19 11:55 am    ::: Female Coaches: Here is How Schools are Getting Rid of Us Reply Reply with quote

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/female-coaches-here-how-schools-getting-rid-us-becky-carlson

Quote:
Let's put it this way, Coach Joseph was put on leave without explanation because it is highly likely Georgia Tech did not have a solid one at the time. Speculation is more than enough when it comes to women coaches and as two players transferred, rumors began to surface. This is the stage where Georgia Tech is now hunkering down and pinpointing exactly what angle they will take to explain their choice to suspend their women's basketball coach. They need something juicy, something socially relevant and something damning. Institutions do not need much more than this to squash any potential whistleblower.

PostPosted: 03/25/19 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, interesting take. And yes, 'equality' continues to be elusive.

I would say that the timing in this case was really weird. If it were simply a matter of getting rid of her because she was a nuisance, why not wait a few weeks until the season was over? It would get a lot less outside scrutiny that way.

- Amanda Gorman
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/25/19 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That article is long on theory and rhetoric and very short on facts. Not worth the time to read it.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 03/25/19 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
That article is long on theory and rhetoric and very short on facts. Not worth the time to read it.

I posted it on Twitter, as I found it quite interesting. Anybody here remember Jody Runge's battle for gender equity at Oregon?
http://special.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/news/sevendays/24317601-35/runge-women-court-game-coach.csp

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/25/19 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I remember Runge. There were, as usual, more sides to that than were perhaps obvious. Runge was a good promoter and went out into the community and met fans, etc... But the girls on her team said she was rarely involved at practices and mostly showed up for games while the assistants ran the practices...so they weren't so impressed with her as a coach.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/26/19 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

Agree. And based on no stated facts, the "fearless coach" intimates that Joseph is being retaliated against for bringing some sort of Title IX discrimination claim against the university. Could be a good guess, but still just a wild guess.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/26/19 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Agree. And based on no stated facts, the "fearless coach" intimates that Joseph is being retaliated against for bringing some sort of Title IX discrimination claim against the university. Could be a good guess, but still just a wild guess.

Interesting and possibly good guess. And it could also involve the players who left, and they may have left because they saw no chance of winning while they were there.

PostPosted: 03/26/19 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Without scrutinizing too many comparative details, this reminds me (a bit) of Connie Yori from Nebraska, and her unhappy departure. Anybody ever remember anything of substance that sealed her fate there?

All of this ALSO begs the question: "HOW does Coach P NOT get yanked at Duke, after so many glaring deficits that she's wrought upon that program?"

PostPosted: 03/27/19 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Without scrutinizing too many comparative details, this reminds me (a bit) of Connie Yori from Nebraska, and her unhappy departure. Anybody ever remember anything of substance that sealed her fate there?

All of this ALSO begs the question: "HOW does Coach P NOT get yanked at Duke, after so many glaring deficits that she's wrought upon that program?"

Seriously, she took a basketball rich school that competed for FF's and NC's every year, has a Duke degree attached to it, and is the same University that has one of the most powerful programs in college athletics....and turned into a mediocre at best program who competes for a seed that allows them to host first and second round games.

Not to mention the fact that she had her own HR investigation, has completely lost fan support, and is generally regarded around the WBB community as an asshole.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/27/19 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The two GA Tech players who sat out the last few games have returned to the team.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/27/19 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
The two GA Tech players who sat out the last few games have returned to the team.

Do you have a link? Tried a few different Google searches, and I did not see this.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/27/19 6:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Howee wrote:

Seriously, she took a basketball rich school that competed for FF's and NC's every year, has a Duke degree attached to it, and is the same University that has one of the most powerful programs in college athletics....and turned into a mediocre at best program who competes for a seed that allows them to host first and second round games.

Not to mention the fact that she had her own HR investigation, has completely lost fan support, and is generally regarded around the WBB community as an asshole.

Thank you, Bart.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: