RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#11 Tennessee vs #6 UCLA - 3/23/19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/24/19 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
Anyone see the espn studio blurb on the subject after the Mich-Lou game?

Bottom line- Yo worker bee (Westbrook), stay in your lane, blinders on and do your job. Let those smarter than you (Management) deal with labor issues.
c

I didn’t, but I have to say I agree.

PostPosted: 03/24/19 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

Bottom line- Yo worker bee (Westbrook), stay in your lane, blinders on and do your job. Let those smarter than you (Management) deal with labor issues.
c

Then the comment about "Check the box score and comment on that before you worry about staff movement" was shady as hell. Laughing

Evina Westbrook 6 pts 6 turnovers Shocked

PostPosted: 03/24/19 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
huskiemaniac wrote:

c

Then the comment about "Check the box score and comment on that before you worry about staff movement" was shady as hell. Laughing

Evina Westbrook 6 pts 6 turnovers Shocked

Yes, it was!

I understand their comments on some level, but I was a bit shocked by how hard all three of the analyst came down on her.

Lobo mentioned that it has been clear all season that something was wrong at TN. She wasn't sure if it was the players or coaches but something clearly was wrong.... (It is weird because they were doing well at the beginning of the year. Actually after they lost to Missouri, it just went down from there.)

At any rate, I agree with her there and we all saw that and understand the frustration all around... Of course, Rebecca followed that comment with stating that Evina has been her for 2 years and Holly has been their for 38 and she deserves more respect....

My thing is that Westbrook tried to skate around some questions with "I don't know" and "That's a good question.' I know there is an expectation for teams to keep their business behind closed doors but the young lady didn't say anything that folks haven't been saying or insinuating for a few years now.

In all honesty, I don't know how well any of us would do with a mike stuck in our faces and a little prodding just after a loss and a mess of a season...

It has been difficult to watch the Vols of recent, but it is very clear that a major change is needed...

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/24/19 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed with everything above. If the comment had came from a staff member im sure the blowback wouldn't be half as huge. Evina said what she said bc everyone else didnt have the balls to say it publically. Players tired of hearing "Idk" as well.

PostPosted: 03/24/19 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=26349362&endcard=false" allowfullscreen frameborder="0"></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
linkster

PostPosted: 03/24/19 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I give Westbrook a pass. At that point she had to be in a low place mentally. A tough moment for a sophomore. The admonition from ESPN has more to do with her saying what they dare not say.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/24/19 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

huskiemaniac wrote:
How many years did it take to wreck a program?

Seriously, the comments from the talking heads at ESPN were pretty shallow and disingenuous. These are amateur athletes, and young people. It's pretty foolish for people to say that Westbrook and her teammates - and any athletes like her - should keep these comments "behind closed doors", and then allow the media to come barging through said closed doors into locker-rooms, asking uncomfortable questions with microphones and cameras stuck in their faces right after losing frustrating and emotional games.

Those questions are deliberate for their intent to tap into that emotion and frustration, to entice juicy responses that make for good media click bait and news fodder so those media can make $$. And when they are successful at extruding such responses, THEN those media vapids who are employed by the industry that ply such tactics in ALL sports, are the first to criticize. Again, these are kids, a lot of them still teenagers and are amateur student-athletes. But it wouldn't really be any different if it was professional football players right after losing the Super Bowl.

You'd be surprised if the media had to wait, and ask their questions of athletes 24 hours after they lost games, at how different the responses would be to their questions. But those responses - reserved, calm, well thought out - won't sell for the media corporations like what Westbrook said will.

So that will never ever happen. Even with the individual sports like professional tennis and golf, they aren't allowed in the locker-rooms. They have to wait in the media rooms like where Coach Warlick had to go with a couple of players who sit in chairs behind a little table with little placards, and get a chance to catch their breath and calm down before answering questions. I do not understand why amateur student-athletes who are very young and inexperienced are required by their schools to have to answer questions immediately after tough losses. What is the point there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: