RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

This seems pretty impressive by Creme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/20/19 4:05 pm    ::: This seems pretty impressive by Creme Reply Reply with quote

At least it seems that way to me.

Is this closer than he usually gets?

Steffi Sorensen tweeted:

"Kudos to our ESPN bracketologist
@CharlieCreme
his record this year:
64/64 teams
16/16 host schools
61 of 64 teams within one seed line
42 teams exactly seeded correctly
"

I seem to recall a number of posts here asserting that Creme doesn't know what he's talking about with his bracketology. I wonder who did better

Biggest miss was assuming the Committee would not have the cajones to take UConn off the 1 line (even though that's of no real consequence other than allowing a statement about SOS).

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/20/19 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I recall Shades asking about his % . Finally they release the facts.

PostPosted: 03/20/19 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how much the committee actually looks at Charlie's brackets...and are therefore very influenced by them. I'm guessing quite a bit.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/20/19 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't recall anyone at ESPN hyping his accuracy previously. Maybe this has been his best year.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/20/19 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I wonder how much the committee actually looks at Charlie's brackets...and are therefore very influenced by them. I'm guessing quite a bit.

I think the women's teams remain sufficiently stratified that the choices are relatively obvious for someone like him who really studies it, especially now with the "Committee Reveals" acting as mid-course corrections. He also understand how geography and the "bus rule" and conference matchups and the like actually function.

Fans usually get wrapped up in factors and metrics and rankings that the Committee simply doesn't consider which is where the disagreements arise. But since he is not saying what he thinks the bracket SHOULD be (which is what fans are usually doing) but is trying to predict what the Committee will actually do, I'm not surprised he's close. I just thought this year he was exceptionally close.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/20/19 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The committee is inconsistent about what they consider and why. That's where disagreements arise. They'll talk about Tennessee's "significant wins" and UConn lacking "strength of conference", but then put UCF in the field over teams with more significant wins from stronger conferences.

PostPosted: 03/21/19 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I don't recall anyone at ESPN hyping his accuracy previously. Maybe this has been his best year.

I don't recall him ever going 64/64 before.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 03/21/19 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The committee is inconsistent about what they consider and why. That's where disagreements arise. They'll talk about Tennessee's "significant wins" and UConn lacking "strength of conference", but then put UCF in the field over teams with more significant wins from stronger conferences.

Anything to hate on UConn and their conference peers. Time to do some growing up? Rolling Eyes Wink Evil or Very Mad

linkster

PostPosted: 03/21/19 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am curious to see how the field of 64 looks using the new men's ranking system. I'd wager that the some on the women's side have done it. It's just a matter of plugging the data into the software. But I doubt we'll ever see it.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/21/19 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
pilight wrote:

Anything to hate on UConn and their conference peers. Time to do some growing up? Rolling Eyes Wink Evil or Very Mad

What is inaccurate in what pilight wrote? Spell it out. I think you'll find (again) that he's correct.

For once in your life why not provide some factual support for your grousing.

huskiemaniac

PostPosted: 03/21/19 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
SDHoops wrote:
pilight wrote:

What is inaccurate in what pilight wrote? Spell it out. I think you'll find (again) that he's correct.

For once in your life why not provide some factual support for your grousing.

Lol. It's not about being accurate; it's about the usual anti-CT sentiment.

I was going to commend pilight on a great line, which targeted Tenn, UConn, UCF and the AAC! Well done!

You should try to be as clever. Your lame "cajones" line pales in comparison.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/21/19 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

And fans on this board and others would criticize Creme in years past when he got things incorrect, even when the committee did not follow its own rules/statements. As if Creme should have predicted the committee's inconsistencies and when they would be applied...

In any event, kudos to Creme for being recognize for his accuracy this year.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 03/21/19 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was he still 100% accurate before the debateable 8 was released?

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/21/19 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

And fans on this board and others would criticize Creme in years past when he got things incorrect, even when the committee did not follow its own rules/statements. As if Creme should have predicted the committee's inconsistencies and when they would be applied...

He's definitely getting a handle on this. It's fun/encouraging to see him sprinkle more actual game/team analysis as he comes out with his predictions. You have to give it to him: The man does his homework and has a pro approach - wish all folks in the sport tackle it that way with that mindset. Refs, coaches, bloggers, "influencers" and reporters all the way around.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/22/19 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Yeah, but there is that saying about blind squirrels...

Not to mention that the Committee does do most of his harder work (giving out a list of the top 16).

A one year sample is hardly enough to judge results.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: