RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

25 Best NCAA Tourney Players

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/19/19 7:48 am    ::: 25 Best NCAA Tourney Players Reply Reply with quote

Let the controversy/discussion begin!!! Laughing

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/the-25-best-ncaa-tournament-women-players-of-all-time/ss-BBUN026?ocid=ientp#image=25

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ucbart

PostPosted: 03/19/19 8:08 am    ::: Re: 25 Best NCAA Tourney Players Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/the-25-best-ncaa-tournament-women-players-of-all-time/ss-BBUN026?ocid=ientp#image=25

How on earth did Candice Wiggins and Nneka Ogwumike make this list and Tina Charles did not?

Genero36

PostPosted: 03/19/19 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My all-time favorite player on every level is Sheryl Denise Swoopes. HOWEVER, the best player I've ever seen on the college level in my 30+ years as a witness is Diana Lorena Taurasi. What she did by dragging a bunch of ragamuffins during her junior and senior seasons was a sight to behold. The one-handed, half-court no look passes through stifling defense in clutch moments, the half-court buzzer beaters, the hostile environments on the road, etc. There was no one like her.

PostPosted: 03/19/19 9:11 am    ::: Re: 25 Best NCAA Tourney Players Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

How on earth did Candice Wiggins and Nneka Ogwumike make this list and Tina Charles did not?

Sure, just single out the two of the greatest Stanford players in the tournament of all time. It’s hard to argue against Wiggins when she’s the only player to drop multiple 40 point efforts in the tournament, with one of those coming against Maryland. Besides, only Kelsey Mitchell has scored more points per game than Candice, and Kelsey got to do it against easier teams. (Presumably, as Kelsey only played 10 games, and Candice went for 16). Nnemkadi Ogwumike is hard to argue against given her career stats in NCAa’s, and given that she helped Stanford to four consecutive final fours.

Maybe instead of Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis, you should have Tina Charles. Other teams exist and have tourney worthy legends outside of Storrs.

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/19/19 10:14 am    ::: Re: 25 Best NCAA Tourney Players Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Sure, just single out the two of the greatest Stanford players in the tournament of all time. It’s hard to argue against Wiggins when she’s the only player to drop multiple 40 point efforts in the tournament, with one of those coming against Maryland. Besides, only Kelsey Mitchell has scored more points per game than Candice, and Kelsey got to do it against easier teams. (Presumably, as Kelsey only played 10 games, and Candice went for 16). Nnemkadi Ogwumike is hard to argue against given her career stats in NCAa’s, and given that she helped Stanford to four consecutive final fours.

Maybe instead of Kaleena Mosqueda Lewis, you should have Tina Charles. Other teams exist and have tourney worthy legends outside of Storrs.

Fine, I'll add Kelsey to the list. She belongs nowhere near this either. To be frank, this listed should be dominated by UCONN and Tennessee players. Those two programs have won 19 titles between them. If any Stanford players belong on it, it's Val Whiting or Jennifer Azzi.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 03/19/19 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Teresa Weatherspoon strikes me as the most obvious missing piece. What she did to Auburn's guards in the national championship game bordered on criminal. It doesn't surprise me that these guys don't bother with a Lady Techster though.

If I were ranking the top, I'd go:

1) Diana Taurasi (Genero36 said that well)
2) Cheryl Miller (carried USC to two titles and another final four)
3) Chamiqua Holdsclaw
4) Cheryl Swoopes

I'm torn between Parker and Stewart for #5 -- Stewart accomplished more, but I really think Parker might have been the better player on a lesser team.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/19/19 1:11 pm    ::: Re: 25 Best NCAA Tourney Players Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

If we are talking GOAT then performances should be limited to games against worthy opponents. The first 2 rounds are not at that level. Not unless it's a 40 pt game from a 15 or 16 seed in a first round upset.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/19/19 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wheres Jackie Stiles ?

PostPosted: 03/19/19 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Wheres Jackie Stiles ?

Exclamation

PostPosted: 03/19/19 3:18 pm    ::: Re: 25 Best NCAA Tourney Players Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
To be frank, this listed should be dominated by UCONN and Tennessee players. Those two programs have won 19 titles between them.

Actually, it's probably just the opposite. Having the championship TEAM certainly does not mean or require that you have the best individual player. Indeed, it's often the best player who drags her teams to wins and produces the most spectacular individual performances without being surrounded by a bunch of other top talent. Your position completely misses the point of the exercise.

It's not a "best program" award.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/19/19 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Best tournament players should include high level performances over many games, meaning at least three and probably four years of deep play. I'm not sure Swoopes or Stiles would qualify on that factor.
Genero36

PostPosted: 03/19/19 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Best tournament players should include high level performances over many games, meaning at least three and probably four years of deep play. I'm not sure Swoopes or Stiles would qualify on that factor.

Sheryl wouldn't because she only played two years of Division I basketball and to omit her for a rule when her two-year run was historic and still holds today would be laughable (AT BEST). Her performances are the very reason a rule shouldn't exist.

PostPosted: 03/19/19 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Wheres Jackie Stiles ?

DEFINITELY an omission error. Also, what about Katie Smith? I'd have thought she'd be in that list.

PostPosted: 03/21/19 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't do this kind of click bait bullshit- was there a listed criteria, or is it a list based on a few games of point scoring kind of thing?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/21/19 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They didn't define their criteria. I have a problem with players like Kelsey Mitchell who generated some impressive individual stats but ultimately didn't win anything. I have a really big problem with putting Kelly Miller on this list because she "put up 21ppg while taking Georgia to the FF," and leaving off Kellie Jolley, whose numbers were less impressive but who went to three FF's and walked away with 3 rings.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/21/19 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Wheres Jackie Stiles ?

DEFINITELY an omission error. Also, what about Katie Smith? I'd have thought she'd be in that list.

I'm not surprised. Katie Smith only played in two NCAA tournaments. Her fantastic freshmen year in 1993 as the runner-up and again her senior year when Ohio State made the second round and lost to Tennessee. So she didn't have the extensive games on her resume.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/21/19 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
Teresa Weatherspoon strikes me as the most obvious missing piece. What she did to Auburn's guards in the national championship game bordered on criminal. It doesn't surprise me that these guys don't bother with a Lady Techster though.

If I were ranking the top, I'd go:

1) Diana Taurasi (Genero36 said that well)
2) Cheryl Miller (carried USC to two titles and another final four)
3) Chamiqua Holdsclaw
4) Cheryl Swoopes

I'm torn between Parker and Stewart for #5 -- Stewart accomplished more, but I really think Parker might have been the better player on a lesser team.

Breanna Stewart won four straight national championships and won the MOP award four straight times. I think you have to put her at #1.

I agree about Weatherspoon - would put her there over Wiggins and maybe even Azzi.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: