RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cheating among the blueblood universities
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 03/12/19 12:56 pm    ::: Cheating among the blueblood universities Reply Reply with quote

https://www.foxnews.com/us/college-entrance-exam-cheating

Quote:
...more than four dozen people charged in a nationwide college admissions cheating scandal that involved wealthy individuals paying up to $6.5 million to place their children into elite universities, according to court records revealed Tuesday.

The alleged scam -- which placed students into top colleges such as Yale, Georgetown, Stanford, University of Southern California, UCLA and the University of Texas --

Quote:
Among the college coaches involved in the alleged scheme was Rudy Meredith, the former head women's soccer coach at Yale, and John Vandemoer, Standford University's sailing coach.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 03/12/19 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was Stanford Sailing, of all things. Not entirely sure of the full details.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/12/19 1:35 pm    ::: Admissions cheating scandal criminal affidavit Reply Reply with quote

Affidavit in support of criminal complaint is available here:

https://www.justice.gov/file/1142876/download

Charged are the ringleaders, 33 parents, SAT and ACT administrators, and a variety of coaches and school administrators.

Among the parents are actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin (the discussion of Huffman says her husband William H Macy was present when the scheme involving their daughters was discussed and agreed to, be he wasn't charged. Don't know why.)

No schools were charged and they appear to have been the victims of parents paying to cheat on standardized tests and fabricate athletic records in order to obtain favorable admissions. The athletic personnel evidently lined their own pockets although contributions were also made to school athletic department funds. It includes a sailing coach at Stanford, soccer coach at Yale, and volleyball coach at Wake Forest. Other colleges victimized include Georgetown, Texas, Boston College, Boston University, Northeastern, UCLA, and USC.

In my brief look so far, the only WBB reference I have found so far is that one parent ( GAMAL ADBELAZIZ) paid off a Southern Cal administrator (Heinel, the senior associate athletic director at USC) for helping create a fictitious record of his daughter having played basketball in China so that she received special athletic admission to Southern Cal to play basketball. She did enroll at USC, but never played basketball. The parent also donated $300,000 to a Galen Center fund after his daughter was admitted.

I haven't gone through the whole thing yet.

The news reports say that someone paid $6.5 million to the ringleaders to get their kid into college.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/12/19 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is at least one cooperating witness (CW-1) who recorded a lot of phone calls with parents. (They're screwed.) But this call with Abdulazziz regarding the USC admission is classic, discussing Donna Heinel, the USC associate AD:

"I’ll tell you a funny story, is that Donna Heinel, who is the senior
women’s administrator, she actually called me and said-- she
called me and says, “Hey [CW-1], that profile that you did for
[ADBELAZIZ’s daughter], I loved it. It was really well done and
going forward, anybody who isn’t a real basketball player that’s a
female, I want you to use that profile going forward.”

See page 87

On the next page is a call discussing communications with Heinel about how to explain that the girl didn't show up for basketball last fall. They came up with a story that she had developed plantar fasciitis over the summer and thus couldn't play.

USC and Heinel are also implicated in Lori Loughlin's daughter's admission to USC for whom they evidently concocted a resume as a crew coxswain, even though she had never done any crew activities.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/12/19 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:

in my day that was the blueblood of blueblood 'sports'. I mean how many kids' daddies had yachts?

- Amanda Gorman
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/12/19 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USC fired senior associate athletic director Donna Heinel and legendary water polo coach Jovan Vavic after they were indicted in federal court earlier Tuesday as part of a nationwide college admissions bribery case.

https://www.ocregister.com/2019/03/12/usc-fires-associate-ad-donna-heinel-legendary-water-polo-coach-jovan-vavic/?fbclid=IwAR275Qzjg81WkQqk6DXUW9XuXnLUMD6wB5FATkU18GQgP4dzW6X2UKdHVq0

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/12/19 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what is Heinel's background? How long has she been st USC?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/12/19 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a Cal grad I object to USC beautiful my considered a top college😀😀😀

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/12/19 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think they should expel all the kids and charge them too. You can’t tell me they didn’t know at least something, especially the ones who posed as athletic recruits. And thet privileged princess kid of Lori Loughlin’s should be the first out. She flat said she didn’t want to be there, then tacked on a feeble “l realize education is important too.” Yeah, right. Give her spot to a kid who really WANTS it.

PostPosted: 03/12/19 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
You can’t tell me they didn’t know at least something, especially the ones who posed as athletic recruits.

The ones who had others take their standardized test for them clearly knew. And some of them posed for fake photos of sports activities. But some may not have known. For example, when asked for a picture "in a boat" for one of the crew applicants, the fixer got a picture off the internet of some random girl in which you couldn't see her face or identify her. So maybe the girl had no idea her parents were fixing things.

I don't think you should assume.

Rich parents have fixed admissions for their kids without their kids knowledge for a long time. The traditional way was to donate a library or dorm.

It sure is embarrassing for these kids now though if they didn't know.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/12/19 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I think they should expel all the kids and charge them too. You can’t tell me they didn’t know at least something, especially the ones who posed as athletic recruits. And thet privileged princess kid of Lori Loughlin’s should be the first out. She flat said she didn’t want to be there, then tacked on a feeble “l realize education is important too.” Yeah, right. Give her spot to a kid who really WANTS it.

....and I'd recommend jail time for the li'l brat! I saw video feed of her ( with 2 MILLION FOLLOWERS, no less!) where she's telling her 'fans' she's all about the "game day parties", and not so much into school. Rolling Eyes

This may well be nothing new, but it's absolutely nauseating to see how wealthy people PERPETRATE the *elite* mentality in their offspring. Of course, look no further than The First Family for role models. I mean, really....? What kind of parent could be proud of a kid like Lori???

I haven't digested every detail of this story, but who served as the whistleblowers here?

Last edited by Howee on 03/13/19 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 03/12/19 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
look no further than The First Family for role models

College-entrance case ensnares Obama family’s tennis instructor

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/03/12/college-entrance-case-ensnares-obama-familys-tennis-instructor/23690744/

PostPosted: 03/12/19 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pretty good article on the subject of privileged admissions in the Atlantic today.

www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2019/03/college-admissions-scandal-fbi-targets-wealthy-parents/584695/

Howee

PostPosted: 03/12/19 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
look no further than The First Family for role models

College-entrance case ensnares Obama family’s tennis instructor

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/03/12/college-entrance-case-ensnares-obama-familys-tennis-instructor/23690744/

Yeah. And I'm positive that Donald will demand this be investigated AND linked to Hillary. Razz Laughing

PostPosted: 03/13/19 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:

Some info from Stanford:

https://news.stanford.edu/2019/03/12/stanford-statement/

https://quadblog.stanford.edu/2019/03/12/the-sailing-case-and-our-resolve/

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/13/19 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And of course, this is just one company. And I'd be very surprised if this was just for D1 schools ... D3 schools give favored admission to athletes as well.

Most of us, of course, think a $300,000 "donation" is a ton of money, but if your kids have been going to private school since kindergarten, you've already invested close to half a millions dollars. And if college is more important, then logic suggests $300,000 isn't that bad.

PostPosted: 03/13/19 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

Some info from Stanford:

I'm guessing other schools will use these statements as templates for their own statements...if they haven't already done so. Very Happy It is interesting that the 'students' involved were never admitted anyway.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/13/19 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here is a list of all the coaches involved. Mostly USC. Surprised, anyone? But neither GA Tech nor MaChelle Joseph are involved, so that remains a mystery.

https://deadspin.com/these-are-the-college-coaches-accused-of-turning-rich-k-1833238779

PostPosted: 03/13/19 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
CompSci87 wrote:
Coyotes wrote:

Some info from Stanford:

I'm guessing other schools will use these statements as templates for their own statements...if they haven't already done so. Very Happy It is interesting that the 'students' involved were never admitted anyway.

And to think Katie Ledecky had to quit swimming to actually earn some cash, we living in the upside down Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 03/13/19 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mossimo Giannulli (you can see his clothes at Target) is the husband of the actress with the two daughters who got into USC. There is a picture of a letter he sent to the perpetrators and it says that he wants more details about what they are going to do for his oldest daughter (the sister of Olivia Jade) and he concludes by saying that he doesn't want her to "have to go to ASU!" Take that Sun Devil fans.

Arizona State University gets dissed in college bribery scandal court documents

Quote:
"We just met with (our older daughter's) college counselor this am. I'd like to maybe sit with you after your session with the girls as I have some concerns and want to fully understand the game plan and make sure we have a roadmap for success as it relates to (our daughter) and getting her into a school other than ASU!"

Last edited by tfan on 03/13/19 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/13/19 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now if she only played a sport, ASU could make the best curtain of distraction.

PostPosted: 03/13/19 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder what happened once those kids got in on a pass. Did they stay in college? Did they pass any courses?? DID THEY ACTUALLY TAKE THE TESTS IN THE COURSES THEY TOOK?

Jesus. Mad

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/13/19 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Mossimo Giannulli (you can see his clothes at Target) is the husband of the actress with the two daughters who got into USC. There is a picture of a letter he sent to the perpetrators and it says that he wants more details about what they are going to do for his oldest daughter (the sister of Olivia Jade) and he concludes by saying that he doesn't want her to "have to go to ASU!" Take that Sun Devil fans.

Did they buy her way in too? If so, out with her! She can go to another California state school. I'm for sending her to Bakersfield or Fresno Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 03/13/19 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
tfan wrote:

Did they buy her way in too? If so, out with her! She can go to another California state school. I'm for sending her to Bakersfield or Fresno Twisted Evil

USC is a private school.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/13/19 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
I wonder what happened once those kids got in on a pass. Did they stay in college? Did they pass any courses?? DID THEY ACTUALLY TAKE THE TESTS IN THE COURSES THEY TOOK?

Jesus. Mad

I would think some of those schools are going to chew up these under-achieving kids and spit them out after a semester or two. Either that or mommy is going to have to bribe an awful lot of professors. Even when their admissions process is deficient, most elite schools are invested in producing superior graduates.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: