RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Impressive Freshman
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25034



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/19 4:31 pm    ::: Impressive Freshman Reply Reply with quote

Thruout the year, I've been impressed by a number of Freshman this year. These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Please add your favorites to the list. In no particular order, I thought these guys were all really important to their teams:

Cunane - NC State
Williams - UConn
The Hulls - Stanford
Gylton - Utah
Austin - Maryland
Mikesell - Maryland
Joens - Iowa St
Smith - Baylor
Mbulito - ASU
Collins - Tenn
Z. Green - Tenn
Howard - Kentucky
Levy - Mizzou
Tabdi - Syracuse
Collier - Texas
Niblack - WVU

I haven't seen a lot of mids so would also be interested in hearing who is impressing there too.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 51424



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/19 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You hogged the most notable ones.

Nia Clouden - Michigan St - Started all games; 3rd leading scorer on team
Sam Haiby - Nebraska - Nearly the high scorer for Nebraska coming off the bench. Nice freshman class in general



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5375
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/19 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Madison Green - JMU
Imani Lewis - Wisconsin



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 3293
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/19 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m partial to Naz Hillmon at Michigan - their leading scorer, B1G FOY from the media, B1G 6th POY from the coaches and 1st team.

Dorka Juhász at Ohio State also was really good for them.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5375
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/19 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like Naz. I liked her mom a lot when she played for Jim Foster at Vandy. She was tough as hell and had this distinctive topknot. She played out the entire season and was 5 1/2 months pregnant with Naz at the end and didn’t tell anyone until it ended because she was afraid they’d make her quit.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 3293
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/19 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I like Naz. I liked her mom a lot when she played for Jim Foster at Vandy. She was tough as hell and had this distinctive topknot. She played out the entire season and was 5 1/2 months pregnant with Naz at the end and didn’t tell anyone until it ended because she was afraid they’d make her quit.


Great story but your timing’s off. The baby wouldn’t have been Naz but her older brother.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25034



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/19 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can tell I haven't seen that much B1G so thanks for those additions.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5375
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/19 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
I like Naz. I liked her mom a lot when she played for Jim Foster at Vandy. She was tough as hell and had this distinctive topknot. She played out the entire season and was 5 1/2 months pregnant with Naz at the end and didn’t tell anyone until it ended because she was afraid they’d make her quit.


Great story but your timing’s off. The baby wouldn’t have been Naz but her older brother.


Oops, well, doesn’t change my opinion about her mom. She was a fine player in her own right and one tough cookie, and I bet if you asked Jim Foster he’d tell you the same thing.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
PickledGinger



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 451



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/19 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dre’una Edwards of Utah was the Pac-12 FoY


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5375
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/19 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aziah Hudson and Amari Young - ODU



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4080
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/19 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arizona has a Catherine Reese.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5493
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/19 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Elizabeth Balogun, GaTech's high scorer and the ACC FOY.
PickledGinger



Joined: 04 Oct 2013
Posts: 451



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/19 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As the only Freahman to lead a Top 25 team in scoring, my guess is that Rhyne Howard will take the National FOY Awards.


stever



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 6721
Location: Ann Arbor


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/11/19 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Freshman Shaylee Gonzales has already proven her coach right, but wants more for BYU


https://www.ksl.com/article/46508275/freshman-shaylee-gonzales-has-already-proven-her-coach-right-but-wants-more-for-byu



_________________
Women's Basketball Daily
Celebrating the Women's Game Since 2005
WBBDaily Mobile Edition
CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17684
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/11/19 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Thruout the year, I've been impressed by a number of Freshman this year. These are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Please add your favorites to the list. In no particular order, I thought these guys were all really important to their teams:

Cunane - NC State


GlennMacGrady wrote:
Elizabeth Balogun, GaTech's high scorer and the ACC FOY.


Adding to the ACC's list...

Miela Goodchild, Duke

Goodchild registered a record-breaking rookie campaign for the Blue Devils as she drained a Duke freshman record 73 three-pointers in 30 contests, moving past Rebecca Greenwell’s ledger of 72, which took her 34 games to register. On the season, Goodchild averaged 10.9 points, 1.9 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 1.0 steals.

Her 73 three-pointers is currently the most by any freshman in the ACC, while her 44.5 three-point field goal percentage ranks ninth nationally and is the third-highest by a freshman in the nation.


Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 11923
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/19 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prolly not on anybody's radar screen, but Taylor Robertson (Oklahoma) actually led the entire nation in 3pt % for lots of the season, ending in 2nd place with 46.7%. Not too bad for Big 12 freshman. I believe she nailed eight of them in their single-digit loss to UConn. Despite that impressive-enough feat, she's not one to inspire much hope for a dazzling career, tho--kinda ordinary otherwise.



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 8433
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/19 9:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Prolly not on anybody's radar screen, but Taylor Robertson (Oklahoma) actually led the entire nation in 3pt % for lots of the season, ending in 2nd place with 46.7%. Not too bad for Big 12 freshman. I believe she nailed eight of them in their single-digit loss to UConn. Despite that impressive-enough feat, she's not one to inspire much hope for a dazzling career, tho--kinda ordinary otherwise.


Reminds me of Alicia Roberson from TTU a few years back .



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
ucbart



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 1477
Location: New York


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/19 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of freshman, does anyone know if Emily Engstler of Syracuse is injured? I noticed she didn't play in the ACC tournament and she got rotation minutes in every Syracuse game I went to. I am very high on her. I think when she gets more comfortable, gets in better condition, and figures things out on defense, she could be really good.


stever



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 6721
Location: Ann Arbor


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/19 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Speaking of freshman, does anyone know if Emily Engstler of Syracuse is injured? I noticed she didn't play in the ACC tournament and she got rotation minutes in every Syracuse game I went to. I am very high on her. I think when she gets more comfortable, gets in better condition, and figures things out on defense, she could be really good.


Not injured, just deep in Q's doghouse. I'll not be surprised if she bails on Syracuse.



_________________
Women's Basketball Daily
Celebrating the Women's Game Since 2005
WBBDaily Mobile Edition
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25034



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/19 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Speaking of freshman, does anyone know if Emily Engstler of Syracuse is injured? I noticed she didn't play in the ACC tournament and she got rotation minutes in every Syracuse game I went to. I am very high on her. I think when she gets more comfortable, gets in better condition, and figures things out on defense, she could be really good.


Not injured, just deep in Q's doghouse. I'll not be surprised if she bails on Syracuse.


yes. I saw her a few times and thought she had a lot of promise. A bit out of control but that's how Cuse plays. But one game I saw (don't remember against whom) I thought she was the difference maker. but of course as usual we don't know what happens in practice.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5375
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/19 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We'll take her! We've had very good luck with transfers from Syracuse...Tasia Butler was a mainstay of our program here at JMU until she graduated, and we've got Nikki Oppenheimer waiting in the wings now....



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
joetro



Joined: 30 Nov 2006
Posts: 331



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/19 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2019/03/su-womens-basketball-player-stays-behind-as-team-leaves-for-bc.html


CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17684
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/19 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

joetro wrote:
https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2019/03/su-womens-basketball-player-stays-behind-as-team-leaves-for-bc.html


Syracuse's Emily Engstler did not play in the regular season finale against BC, nor did she play in the ACC Tournament.


Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2538



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/19 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But which Hull Myrtle, one is def better than the other, have you figured it out yet, it's pretty difficult Laughing



_________________
"White privilege is unseen by white pompous asses"
Feelings, nothing more than feelings...
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25034



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/19 12:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
But which Hull Myrtle, one is def better than the other, have you figured it out yet, it's pretty difficult Laughing


The weird thing is that Lexie came in ranked so much higher than Lacie and I assumed we took Lacie in order to get Lexie. Then Lexie was the starter at the beginning of the year, just like we all thought. But then it all blew up when she got injured and Lacie started starting! oh, my, now I'm getting confused (and supposedly Tara gets them confused all the time in practice too). So no, I don't know. Right now Lacie's getting more minutes, but is that because she is intrinsically better or because Lexie is still getting back from injury or just because it has worked and Tara doesn't want to rock the boat? I've just been impressed that Tara, who doesn't usually start Freshmen, has started them, and last year played Williams a lot as a Freshman, and presumably will start Jones next year if she's as good as billed. We will have good wings out the gazoo so finding minutes for everyone will be a challenge...a nice challenge of course...so long as we have a good PG, which we have right now, even though everyone claims she's not really a PG; and of course, the real issue now is our inside play. Hoping someone(s) shine in that department, and then we will be hot stuff! (ok, maybe not, but at least I think we will have a chance to contend and that's a very, very good feeling). Ok, no, I didn't really answer your question. But you can tell us which one you think is best and why.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin