RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The most Ladylike conference is . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/22/19 1:25 pm    ::: The most Ladylike conference is . . . Reply Reply with quote

. . . the Southwestern Athletic Conference, which is comprised of the:

Southern Lady Jaguars
Grambling Lady Tigers
Prairie View A&M Lady Panthers
Alabama State Lady Hornets
Alabama A&M Lady Bulldogs
Jackson State Lady Tigers
Texas Southern Lady Tigers
Alcorn State Lady Braves
Mississippi Valley State Devilettes
Arkansas-Pine Bluff Golden Lady Lions
icey23

PostPosted: 02/22/19 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Southern former coach now current Prairie View coach Sandy Pugh said her team is not the Lady Jaguars it’s Jaguars!!

PostPosted: 02/22/19 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:
Southern former coach now current Prairie View coach Sandy Pugh said her team is not the Lady Jaguars it’s Jaguars!!

I'm going by what ESPN calls them. Besides, I don't think the coach gets to decide nicknames.

I wonder how many Lady Tigers vs. Lady Tigers games there will have been in the SWAC when their season and tourney ends.
pilight

PostPosted: 02/22/19 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

icey23 wrote:

The PVAMU website calls them Lady Panthers in their game stories.

PostPosted: 02/23/19 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can't tell you how much I hate the "Lady" moniker ... unless of course the men's team mascot is preceded by "Gentlemen."

PostPosted: 02/23/19 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what should the proper designation be when the name of the men's team mascots inherently specifies gender, like the Buffalo Bulls or USF Bulls? "Bull" is a male, no matter how you slice it. Their women's teams are still called the "Bulls," which sounds odd. "Cows" and "Heifers" are clearly unacceptable. I personally would have picked "Lady Bulls," but whatever.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 02/23/19 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My former roommate used to laugh out loud every time someone said “Lady Vols” because the first time heard it he thought they said “Lady Balls”.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/23/19 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
So what should the proper designation be when the name of the men's team mascots inherently specifies gender, like the Buffalo Bulls or USF Bulls? "Bull" is a male, no matter how you slice it. Their women's teams are still called the "Bulls," which sounds odd. "Cows" and "Heifers" are clearly unacceptable. I personally would have picked "Lady Bulls," but whatever.

Lady Bull? Is that a bull that likes to impersonate a cow?

pilight

PostPosted: 02/23/19 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
"Bull" is a male, no matter how you slice it.

Well, no, one way you slice it makes it an ox.

Quote:
So what should the proper designation be when the name of the men's team mascots inherently specifies gender

Centenary's men's teams are the Gentlemen. For a long while, the women's teams were the Lady Gents. Now they're just Ladies.

PostPosted: 02/24/19 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Quote:
So what should the proper designation be when the name of the men's team mascots inherently specifies gender

Centenary's men's teams are the Gentlemen. For a long while, the women's teams were the Lady Gents. Now they're just Ladies.

Going off of that, Kenyon of Ohio are the Lords and the Ladies.

I guess with the advent of Bishops such as Katherine Jefferts Schori and Libby Lane, monikers such as Battling Bishops can be gender neutral.

What do you do with teams such as the Montgomery Biscuits? Just laugh?

I guess that I’d be interested in looking at how teams that have male specific names handle it. James Madison for example are the Dukes, which is clearly of a male origin Then you have names like the Scarlet Knights, the Dons, and the Minutemen, among others that historically are male-specific. This IMO goes along with the Bulls example.

I guess that it’s tricky, because I don’t feel that people mind the male gendered nickname when it has a sense of history or story behind it. I mean, the Minutemen evokes a sense of history, nostalgia, and pride in the role the Massachusetts colony played in the revolution.

Then there are teams like USC West, which are commonly referred to as the Trojans or the Women of Troy. While I appreciate the historical nod in this instance, I struggle with the image that this portends by alluding that their women are the most beautiful in the world similar to Helen of Troy instead of portraying them as fierce Trojans who fought to the bitter end because of the sheer lunacy of a son of Troy who got caught up in a game between the gods.

taropatch

PostPosted: 02/24/19 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All the college nickname changes. Lot of them for political correctness reasons.
Some of them real funny.

Did you know UConn used to be "aggies"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_college_nickname_changes_in_the_United_States

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/24/19 9:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lady Bulls? How is that any better than calling the women's team the Bulls? Neither make any sense.

The Women of Troy is odd, as it's either (as mentioned) a reference to Helen, who was actually Greek, or to the play "The Trojan Women," a depressing tragedy about how the wives of the Trojan warriors are sold into slavery, etc., after losing the war.

Of course, after a while, the mascot reference simply disappears. Here in the Bay Area, we don't think of the Warriors as warriors (in fact, they're usually referred to as the Dubs), the Giants as giants (especially considering their hitting) or the Athletics as athletes (Kyler Murray deserted them, after all).

Still, I think "Lady" is patronizing and implies that female athletes must be distinguished from males, for reasons that remain unclear to me.

PostPosted: 02/24/19 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Very clever.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/24/19 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
I don’t feel that people mind the male gendered nickname when it has a sense of history or story behind it. I mean, the Minutemen evokes a sense of history, nostalgia, and pride in the role the Massachusetts colony played in the revolution.

The UMass women's team is now called the Minutewomen. This seems to be sexually correct (based on biology), historically incorrect (since no one was called that in Massachusetts history and women didn't fight in militias), and perhaps politically incorrect (under the view that no sexual differentiation between teams should be allowed). Even worse, the name is non-alliterative and a clumsy mouthful.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/24/19 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You will never, EVER change the mind of Lady Vol fans...or Lady Vols themselves. The battle over the name began when Heartless Dave (kissing up to Nike) tried to change it and even went to the state legislature! Lady Vol alumni were just as passionate about keeping the name. Fortunately Philip Fulmer understood that and it's back.

And none of us care what Glenn or some of the rest of you think.

Just sign me LVFL.

PostPosted: 02/24/19 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Still, I think "Lady" is patronizing and implies that female athletes must be distinguished from males, for reasons that remain unclear to me.

To keep the women in their place. Can't let them forget that male is the default and female is a deviation from the default.

PostPosted: 02/24/19 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:

Then there are teams like USC West, which are commonly referred to as the Trojans or the Women of Troy. While I appreciate the historical nod in this instance, I struggle with the image that this portends by alluding that their women are the most beautiful in the world similar to Helen of Troy instead of portraying them as fierce Trojans who fought to the bitter end because of the sheer lunacy of a son of Troy who got caught up in a game between the gods.

As a proud Cal fan, I always thought the appropriate name was Trojan Whores. Laughing Laughing Laughing

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/24/19 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

You're misreading me. I don't object to "Lady" nicknames and even find them appealingly classic and traditional.

I posted this topic only because I never knew, and thought it was highly unusual, that one conference was comprised entirely of "Ladies" and one "ettes".
pilight

PostPosted: 02/24/19 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Should we be surprised that it's a conference of HBCUs that holds this distinction?

PostPosted: 02/24/19 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:

To keep the women in their place. Can't let them forget that male is the default and female is a deviation from the default.

I don't find Lady Vols patronizing. It evokes images of a long, proud tradition built on the shoulders of Pat Summitt, and until recently conferred more prestige than "Vols."

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/24/19 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

You're misreading me. I don't object to "Lady" nicknames and even find them appealingly classic and traditional.

I posted this topic only because I never knew, and thought it was highly unusual, that one conference was comprised entirely of "Ladies" and one "ettes".

Excuse me, I should have said Clay. He's the one who waxed obnoxious on it. And I don't give a FF what he thinks about the Lady Vols name.

However, only a few idiots call JMU the "Lady Dukes". That's just DUMB.

PostPosted: 02/24/19 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like the prefix Lady. I see nothing wrong with it. One of my earliest greetings on this forum was some poster reminding me that "lady bruins" (UCLA) was wrong Smile

As for me when it comes to college basketball, WBB is the default and the men's game is an afterthought. When March Madness comes along, I start to pay attention a little more to the men's side. I especially am attracted to Cinderella's for the big name teams bore me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: