Sky
65%
 65%  [ 13 ]
Liberty
35%
 35%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 20

Shades

PostPosted: 08/20/22 1:52 pm    ::: Sky @ Liberty - 8/23/22 Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Playoffs Round 1 - Game 3
Brooklyn, NY - 9:00 PM ET

TV: ESPN, The Sports Network (Ryan Ruocco, Rebecca Lobo)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/386f123c-7199-4251-bba5-79696f369b7e#bucketId=1

League Pass:
TBD

Game page:
https://www.wnba.com/game/20220823/CHINYL/

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 08/21/22 12:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 08/20/22 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Word on the street is that this has been pushed to 9, since there’s only one Game 3. Why we’re getting the late slot when we’re not in the latest time zone, I don’t know. But the logistics of this, and the logistics of getting home from this, are going to depress attendance. I hope Myles is wrong and we get the 7PM tip, because that would make sense.

(now with spelling variations)
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/21/22 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Word on the street is that this has been pushed to 9, since there’s only one Game 3. Why we’re getting the late slot when we’re not in the latest time zone, I don’t know. But the logistics of this, and the logistics of getting home from this, are going to depress attendance. I hope Myles is wrong and we get the 7PM tip, because that would make sense.

For anyone who hasn't yet seen this elsewhere, Queenie's "word on the street" was correct. It's now been posted on the WNBA website and on the New York Liberty's schedule page that Tuesday night's game in Brooklyn will be at 9:00 p.m. Eastern time.

PostPosted: 08/21/22 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ugh. How do they expect us to attend with kids? I've been trying to chase down my ticket rep since we made the playoffs to make sure I have tickets and now I'm not sure I'll even use them.

PostPosted: 08/21/22 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gpark33 wrote:
Ugh. How do they expect us to attend with kids? I've been trying to chase down my ticket rep since we made the playoffs to make sure I have tickets and now I'm not sure I'll even use them.

I'm sorry for you and your kids. The answer to your question--which I'm sure you know--is that "they" don't care. "They" means the TV networks, who dictate all this. The WNBA is in no position to challenge any such decision.

PostPosted: 08/21/22 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sad, but true. I am sorry that the networks have totally disregarded the Liberty fans by changing game times like this... Rolling Eyes Everyone doesn't have the ability or desire to flex on short notice. It's just not fair...

PostPosted: 08/21/22 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
Sad, but true. I am sorry that the networks have totally disregarded the Liberty fans by changing game times like this... Rolling Eyes Everyone doesn't have the ability or desire to flex on short notice. It's just not fair...

On the plus side, the 9:00 spot is considered the prime spot during the week. Meaning ESPN thinks it’ll be a highly watched game.

PostPosted: 08/21/22 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

True, but it doesn't take the local fans into account. There's travel time to and from. If school has started, late hours for students and staff will have an impact. Empty-ish stands will give the trolls another opportunity to have evidence that the WNBA has no fans.

PostPosted: 08/21/22 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:

ESPN was being VERY selfish picking a 9PM start time ,would 8PM
served the same purpose . There are Liberty Fans with kids and
maybe missing the last train home to NJ or LI and fans taking the
subway after 11PM . But what do they care . Greed always wins out
over caring about fans .

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/21/22 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really don't understand some of the comments here. Of course everyone is right to be upset. But what does it mean to call ESPN "selfish"? What exactly do people expect from a corporation? Genuine caring about the people most affected by a decision? About parents with kids? About people who may have to take a late train home? Really?

Last edited by Bob Lamm on 08/21/22 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 08/21/22 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They wanted the game on ESPN rather than ESPN2, which means 9:00 (or whenever the Little League game ends)

PostPosted: 08/21/22 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In all my years as a New York Liberty season ticket holder
I do not remember a 9PM start of a game .

Maybe Joe Tsai should charter buses to make sure fans can get to
Penn Station and Grand Central Station so not miss their
last train of the night home . He was quick to charter planes for the players .

Yes Joe the subways do not run so well after 10PM, not that you would ever know, or anyone on your staff would ever tell you.

This brings a new meaning to the "Liberty Loyal" tag line ...
maybe that line should be retired !

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/21/22 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
In all my years as a New York Liberty season ticket holder
I do not remember a 9PM start of a game .

Maybe Joe Tsai should charter buses to make sure fans can get to
Penn Station and Grand Central Station so not miss their
last train of the night home . He was quick to charter planes for the players .

Yes Joe the subways do not run so well after 10PM, not that you would ever know, or anyone on your staff would ever tell you.

This brings a new meaning to the "Liberty Loyal" tag line ...
maybe that line should be retired !

Tsai had zero to do with that decision. ESPN made that call for their programming. Stop fucking complaining.

pilight

PostPosted: 08/21/22 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Maybe Joe Tsai should charter buses to make sure fans can get to Penn Station and Grand Central Station so not miss their last train of the night home

Kelly Loeffler did that for the Dream when they were playing at Georgia Tech

PostPosted: 08/21/22 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Tsai had zero to do with that decision. ESPN made that call for their programming. Stop fucking complaining.

A Liberty Fan always has the right "to fucking complain" !

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/21/22 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

I have no problem with anyone complaining about the 9:00 p.m. decision. But it's essential to aim complaints at the correct target. This was ESPN's decision, no one else's. johnjohnW is right.

The WNBA, a league which has always struggled financially, signed an important, lucrative TV deal with ESPN which brings lots of money and unprecedented TV exposure. Will any Liberty fan say that was a mistake? When you sign such a deal with a network, THEY will make lots of decisions that you may or may not like. Is this a surprise?

P.S. The New York Liberty have two owners: Clara Wu Tsai and Joe Tsai. Making Clara Wu Tsai invisible is sexist.

PostPosted: 08/21/22 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I have no problem with anyone complaining about the 9:00 p.m. decision. But it's essential to aim complaints at the correct target. This was ESPN's decision, no one else's. johnjohnW is right.

The WNBA, a league which has always struggled financially, signed an important, lucrative TV deal with ESPN which brings lots of money and unprecedented TV exposure. Will any Liberty fan say that was a mistake? When you sign such a deal with a network, THEY will make lots of decisions that you may or may not like. Is this a surprise?

P.S. The New York Liberty have two owners: Clara Wu Tsai and Joe Tsai. Making Clara Wu Tsai invisible is sexist.

Then maybe its time for the TWO owners of The New York Liberty to step up and do something for the "Liberty Loyals"

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/21/22 10:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I really don't understand some of the comments here. Of course everyone is right to be upset. But what does it mean to call ESPN "selfish"? What exactly do people expect from a corporation? Genuine caring about the people most affected by a decision? About parents with kids? About people who may have to take a late train home? Really?

Right - they want the best ratings. And the reality is, 9pm is when you get the best ratings.

PostPosted: 08/21/22 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Then maybe its time for the TWO owners of The New York Liberty to step up and do something for the "Liberty Loyals"

Didn't the city run extra public transport for Nets playoffs games once? Or, was it the Yankees? I dunno, maybe a phone call to the transit authority could help?

PostPosted: 08/21/22 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:

How nice of you to sort-of-acknowledge (without actually naming her!) that Clara Wu Tsai is the co-owner of the New York Liberty.

I think it would be great if Clara Wu Tsai and Joe Tsai do something to assist fans for whom this 9:00 p.m. start time is a problem.

And I will continue to hope that rightly unhappy fans hold ESPN responsible for this problematic decision rather than Joe Tsai (and, if they're willing to name her, Clara Wu Tsai).

PostPosted: 08/21/22 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The extra “cachet” of putting the game on ESPN- presumably related to people whinging about games being “consigned” to ESPN2, as if we lived in a world where ESPN and ESPN2 don’t have the exact same reach- does not balance out the inconvenience to Liberty fans. A 9PM game ends at around 11PM. Fun fact: track work and associated service reductions usually start up around 10-10:30, adding extra travel time to a trip that’s already time-shifted an hour or two later than usual. It’s midweek, so most Liberty fans have work at some point in the morning, and the ones who don’t probably don’t want to be on the subway at midnight. Personally, I am not enthusiastic about getting home past midnight and probably not getting to bed until 1 or 1:30 depending on how infuriated/exhilarated I am.

(now with spelling variations)
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 08/21/22 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Lib Fan wrote:

How nice of you to sort-of-acknowledge (without actually naming her!) that Clara Wu Tsai is the co-owner of the New York Liberty.

I think it would be great if Clara Wu Tsai and Joe Tsai do something to assist fans for whom this 9:00 p.m. start time is a problem.

And I will continue to hope that rightly unhappy fans hold ESPN responsible for this problematic decision rather than Joe Tsai (and, if they're willing to name her, Clara Wu Tsai).

I do acknowledge that Clara Wu Tsai is a co-owner of the team ...
now step up for your "Liberty Loyals" unless that term means nothing !

Oh by the way Bob, will you be at Barclays Center at 9 PM on Tuesday ?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/21/22 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
I do acknowledge that Clara Wu Tsai is a co-owner of the team ...
now step up for your "Liberty Loyals" unless that term means nothing !

Oh by the way Bob, will you be at Barclays Center at 9 PM on Tuesday ?

Thank you for acknowledging that Clara Wu Tsai is a co-owner of our team.

If there is any collective effort to push Clara Wu Tsai and Joe Tsai into doing something useful to help Liberty fans on Tuesday night, I will definitely join it. If there's a petition, I'll sign it. If someone is organizing a telephone effort, I'll make a call. Complaining here on its own is meaningless. So, Lib Fan, if you want to organize such an effort, I will join in. Just post the information as to what you're doing and how you'd like people to support your effort.

If you want to ask me questions about my life, you'll have to start by using a real and full name.

PostPosted: 08/21/22 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

If you want to ask me questions about my life, you'll have to start by using a real and full name.

Bob all I asked if you were even planning on attending Tuesdays
Game ....it would make some difference in the defense of the
Liberty you make.
Yes I am a season Ticket Holder and am planning to attend the 9PM Game !

I rest my case !

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 08/21/22 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Bob all I asked if you were even planning on attending Tuesdays
Game ....it would make some difference in the defense of the
Liberty you make.
Yes I am a season Ticket Holder and am planning to attend the 9PM Game !

I rest my case !

I think it's terrible that the game is at 9:00 p.m. I pointed out that the decision about the game time was made by ESPN, not by the Tsais. You blamed the wrong people. That was obvious.

I've been a political activist for more than 50 years. When I'm concerned about something that's wrong, I don't just complain on a message board using a fake name. That changes nothing. Looks like that's all you're prepared to do.

I'll say again: if you want to publicly ask me any questions about my personal choices, use a real and full name.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: