RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What has Chiney Ogwumike done to . . .
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/17/19 6:18 pm    ::: What has Chiney Ogwumike done to . . . Reply Reply with quote

. . . deserve a studio anchor position on the world's top sports network?

There must be thousands of qualified graduates of top journalism schools available, many of whom surely are better analysts, more well-spoken and articulate, and with more appealing personae and Q factors.
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/17/19 6:57 pm    ::: Re: What has Chiney Ogwumike done to . . . Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

There must be thousands of qualified graduates of top journalism schools available, many of whom surely are better analysts, more well-spoken and articulate, and with more appealing personae and Q factors.

What makes you say this?

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with Glenn, she talks way too fast and is too excitable for no reason.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've seen a lot their anchors who don't seem to know anything about women's bball. They stutter over names and have to keep looking at their notes even when just trying to hand it off to Nell and Andy. At least Chiney does know women's bball.

- Amanda Gorman
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one was saying there aren’t bad sportscasters, that doesn’t make this any better.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/17/19 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chiney has always been a little over the top. Her personality is hyped up.

PostPosted: 02/17/19 8:20 pm    ::: Re: What has Chiney Ogwumike done to . . . Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

+1

I turn the TV whenever she's on. Her personality is just way too much for me.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 02/17/19 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you mean "It's your girl, Chiney Ogwumike" ... ugh no plz stop

SDHoops

PostPosted: 02/18/19 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The same reason Nneka won MVP in 2016............

Howee

PostPosted: 02/18/19 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chiney has style.

AND she's a currently-competing player, and can speak from the perspective of one who was an elite recruit, went to FFs, and is a pro. This doesn't hurt in trying to target a 18-30 year-old demographic.

Chiney can certainly stand some refinement in Sports Broadcasting Basics....speaking a bit more clearly, for example. I find myself replaying some portions to comprehend what she's saying. She's both bright and ebullient enough to carry the load, but she definitely needs to refine a 'style' she can trademark. She's young. Kut a kid a break. Cool

PostPosted: 02/18/19 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Chiney has style.

AND she's a currently-competing player, and can speak from the perspective of one who was an elite recruit, went to FFs, and is a pro. This doesn't hurt in trying to target a 18-30 year-old demographic.

Chiney can certainly stand some refinement in Sports Broadcasting Basics....speaking a bit more clearly, for example. I find myself replaying some portions to comprehend what she's saying. She's both bright and ebullient enough to carry the load, but she definitely needs to refine a 'style' she can trademark. She's young. Kut a kid a break. Cool

Amen. I remember a young broadcaster that worked for one of the local T.V. stations in Houston Texas during the 1980s. She was a lot worse than Chiney is today. This young lady improved her articulation and her vocal delivery. She then moved upward to work at several national media companies. This woman's name is Hannah Storm.

PostPosted: 02/18/19 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice. But same that everyone is entitled to their opinion whether you cut anyone any slack or not. I love Chiney just as much as anyone.

PostPosted: 02/18/19 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Chiney is there to connect with the young crowd/Generation about women's basketball. I like her shes certainly better than Boring Andy Landers or Nell fortner heck they put me to sleep every Sunday

PostPosted: 02/18/19 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This topic was motivated not only by my low opinion of Chiney Ogwumike as an anchor desk "journalist", but more so by my decades-old annoyance that much too often, in the world of sports TV, jocks are hired for broadcasting positions instead of professionally trained communication majors with far greater industry knowledge, better voice enunciation and articulation, and more professional images and personalities. I'm not talking about the color commentator or pundit positions, which are traditionally ex coaches or players, but the play-by-play, anchor and studio desk positions.

The Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse, for example, is known as "Sportscaster U". Beginning with the great Marty Glickman in the 1940's, Syracuse grads have been prominent in the highest ranks of men's sportscasting: currently, e.g., Bob Costas, Marv Alpert, Sean McDonough, Ian Eagle, Mike Tirico, Dave Pasch and Dave O'Brien. Some of these guys will be wheeled in very occasionally for big WBB games, such as McDonough, Pasch and O'Brien. A few years ago in the press room at the Eastern Regional at URI, I sat near O'Brien who, in an interview with young broadcaster, was lamenting the lack of career paths for top school communication majors.

The only Syracuse alum currently announcing WBB on a regular basis is probably Beth Mowins. Vera Jones is another Syracuse alum who did WBB, but I don't recall seeing her recently.

Here are (L-R) Beth Mowins, Sean McDonough, Marv Albert, James Freedman, Bob Costas, Bill Roth, Ian Eagle, Don McPherson and Mike Tirico at the Syracuse University special screening of the HBO documentary "GLICKMAN" at Time Warner Center Screening Room on August 24, 2013 in New York City.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/18/19 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I think Chiney is there to connect with the young crowd/Generation about women's basketball. I like her shes certainly better than Boring Andy Landers or Nell fortner heck they put me to sleep every Sunday

Punks! Laughing

Imo, Landers is the best studio analyst in WCB, by far.

On the outside looking in, for years I thought Landers was a bit of a hack of a coach, always finding a way to lose to Tenn.

Since his studio gig, I realize the man knows the game inside/out, forward/back.

Chiney is a drag of the highest order, imo. Then again, I don't need fireworks for player intros, either. Or to hear the asshole PA person scream

"for THREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Wink

PostPosted: 02/18/19 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
This topic was motivated not only by my low opinion of Chiney Ogwumike as an anchor desk "journalist", but more so by my decades-old annoyance that much too often, in the world of sports TV, jocks are hired for broadcasting positions instead of professionally trained communication majors with far greater industry knowledge, better voice enunciation and articulation, and more professional images and personalities. I'm not talking about the color commentator or pundit positions, which are traditionally ex coaches or players, but the play-by-play, anchor and studio desk positions.

The Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse, for example, is known as "Sportscaster U". Beginning with the great Marty Glickman in the 1940's, Syracuse grads have been prominent in the highest ranks of men's sportscasting: currently, e.g., Bob Costas, Marv Alpert, Sean McDonough, Ian Eagle, Mike Tirico, Dave Pasch and Dave O'Brien. Some of these guys will be wheeled in very occasionally for big WBB games, such as McDonough, Pasch and O'Brien. A few years ago in the press room at the Eastern Regional at URI, I sat near O'Brien who, in an interview with young broadcaster, was lamenting the lack of career paths for top school communication majors.

The only Syracuse alum currently announcing WBB on a regular basis is probably Beth Mowins. Vera Jones is another Syracuse alum who did WBB, but I don't recall seeing her recently.

Here are (L-R) Beth Mowins, Sean McDonough, Marv Albert, James Freedman, Bob Costas, Bill Roth, Ian Eagle, Don McPherson and Mike Tirico at the Syracuse University special screening of the HBO documentary "GLICKMAN" at Time Warner Center Screening Room on August 24, 2013 in New York City.

Vera Jones is a full-time analyst, both for games and studio, for the Big Ten Network just FYI

Howee

PostPosted: 02/18/19 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Punks! Laughing

Imo, Landers is the best studio analyst in WCB, by far.

On the outside looking in, for years I thought Landers was a bit of a hack of a coach, always finding a way to lose to Tenn.

Since his studio gig, I realize the man knows the game inside/out, forward/back.

Exactly the point. Fandom spans at least 2 generations here, pushing 3. I've always enjoyed Landers, too (had half a crush on 'im, haha! Razz ) but broadcasters like Chiney lend a contrast in style and perspective that is probably based on some marketing research. Her type is going to be more appealing to most millennials.

I've always enjoyed Lobo and Landers the most as a dynamic duo. I personally don't think Chiney will last long as a desk journalist--I'd prefer to see her doing what Holly Rowe does.

PostPosted: 02/19/19 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kara Lawson is one of my absolute favorites. On the SEC Network, Andraya Carter seems to be shaping up nicely. And I really do enjoy Andy Landers, although I couldn't stand him when he was coaching Very Happy

On the downside, Rebecca Lobo drives me absolutely NUTS sometimes, and not just because she's ex-UCONN, although she is too much of a homer. Also Deb Antonelli and Brenda Van Langen.

PostPosted: 02/19/19 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been surprised that Nell Fortner, who I can't stand as an in game analyst, is pretty good in the studio show role paired with Landers. I actually think they stumbled on to a decent WCBB studio cast.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/19/19 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She must have praised a certain green team.

PostPosted: 02/20/19 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Instead of trying to tear down a young black woman trying to live in Trump’s racist vision of the US, maybe we should celebrate her and what she’s trying to do instead.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 02/20/19 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Kara Lawson is one of my absolute favorites. On the SEC Network, Andraya Carter seems to be shaping up nicely. And I really do enjoy Andy Landers, although I couldn't stand him when he was coaching Very Happy

On the downside, Rebecca Lobo drives me absolutely NUTS sometimes, and not just because she's ex-UCONN, although she is too much of a homer. Also Deb Antonelli and Brenda Van Langen.

Lobo is the best thing that’s ever happened to women’s basketball on the commentary side of things. At least she has a personality unlike boring and stoic Lawson.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/20/19 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was struck by this comment above which seemingly was presented in DEFENSE of Chiney:

Rock Hard wrote:
I remember a young broadcaster that worked for one of the local T.V. stations in Houston Texas during the 1980s. She was a lot worse than Chiney is today. This young lady improved her articulation and her vocal delivery. She then moved upward to work at several national media companies. This woman's name is Hannah Storm.

In fact, it seems to me it proves just the opposite. It demonstrates that the regular and proper way to become a pro at the highest level is to start small, learn how to do the job well, and then move up through the ranks. That's how you do it in most professions.

Chiney certainly hasn't demonstrated that she's such a superstar prodigy that she deserves to start right at the top ahead of probably other more deserving candidates who have actually earned their shot through hard work and demonstrated proficiency.

So Trump or no Trump, it seems a legitimate question to ask why she was gifted this special treatment. Especially when she is not very good at it.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/20/19 8:48 pm    ::: Re: What has Chiney Ogwumike done to . . . Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

She has name recognition. And it seems like a job where the techniques or polish can be attained from taking a single class, assuming you are articulate and charismatic enough to begin with.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/20/19 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Lobo is the best thing that’s ever happened to women’s basketball on the commentary side of things. At least she has a personality unlike boring and stoic Lawson.

I love both of them! To each their own.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: