RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

top 16 reveal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 02/12/19 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
I'm a big UConn fan...but for once, just once...especially if the Huskies are a two seed, I'd like to see them go to a region other than Albany. Ship them off and make them win on the road! Whoever gets the #1 seed for that region should earn the right to be a #1 seed and not worry about a possible home crowd for a lower seed. In the early rounds I can see it, but not for regionals!

UConn benefits from Albany being a long way from the other 1 seeds (if CT ends up a 1). It is much like Stanford for a number of years was the only 1 or 2 seed west of the Mississippi and not in Texas. So they always were either the one or the 2 in the west. Of course that was back when geography was the prime directive.

What irks me about the process is that there is no consistent method to selection. One year it's RPI, next it's Marquee wins, then it's geography. The policies and procedures are so convoluted that they can do any damn thing they want and find a way to justify it, and I think that's exactly what happens. I have sat on labor contract negotiations and I learned that even though the power lies within the committee, the leader(s) can control the outcome as long as they control the committee's agenda. I'm not impinging on the integrity of those that are on the committee, only those NCAA officials that pick the committee and set the agendas for the meetings.

I'm with Debbie. One site for the regionals. Rank em and seed accordingly.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/12/19 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

I was puzzled by her comment to that effect: she made it sound like it was the best thing for fans, but....I don't see that. If there's ONE regional--and it's chosen as centrally as possible--how does that help fans on either coast?

How does staging this kinda thing in Missouri or Nebraska (middle of the continent) help fans in CT, CA, OR, FL, etc.?

Last edited by Howee on 02/12/19 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/12/19 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

agree in theory that this might be 'fairer'. But in practice, it really would hurt a lot of revenue from loss of fans. And this year, as I expounded elsewhere, I think it would be very hard to come up with a satisfactory S-curve anyway. IMO regionals as they are really aren't so terrible. And as the good coaches will say, "you just have to win the next one and move on". I know East Coast teams moan and groan about being sent out West, but there are a bunch of West Coast teams that have to go back East as well. Might as well learn early that not everything in life is 'fair'. Stanford and Oregon State are both going to have long travel days for sure, and most of the other P12 teams will as well, especially this year when there aren't any regionals in the midwest (ie Texas or Oklahoma) as there usually are. So a 2000 mile trip to Chicago will be the 'closest' for most of them. Life is tough! Wink

- Amanda Gorman
CBiebel

PostPosted: 02/13/19 4:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
But Miami has two wins over Top 10 RPI teams, while Syracuse's very best win is over #20 Texas A&M.

Charlie said that as well, but I count three. Am I missing something?

I agree with you that it is a very defensible selection.

I think you messed up editing the quoting on this. The comment was made by "patsweetpat" not me.

Phil

PostPosted: 02/13/19 8:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:

I think you messed up editing the quoting on this. The comment was made by "patsweetpat" not me.

I agree.

The statement from patsweetpat "But Miami has two wins over Top 10 RPI teams," got dropped.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 02/13/19 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
linkster wrote:

I was puzzled by her comment to that effect: she made it sound like it was the best thing for fans, but....I don't see that. If there's ONE regional--and it's chosen as centrally as possible--how does that help fans on either coast?

How does staging this kinda thing in Missouri or Nebraska (middle of the continent) help fans in CT, CA, OR, FL, etc.?

I think her idea is actually Las Vegas -- not centralized but relatively easy/cheap to fly into. Although, it doesn't seem like it's nearly as cheap as it used to be for flights or hotels.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/13/19 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe she just likes to leave everything in Las Vegas, could be a closet gambler Cool

Phil

PostPosted: 02/13/19 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, Antonelli's plan is to host the event in Las Vegas. Coincidentally, I chatted with her about this at a tournament in Las Vegas.

Obviously, she can speak for herself but my impression is that the main point isn't fans but fairness. Inevitably, and seemingly almost always for UConn, some of the regional locations will be very attractive for one fan base and less so for others. One attraction of Las Vegas is that there are virtually no likely Sweet 16 teams in the immediate area. (I'm pulling for Nevada to become one of those teams but that's a ways off and a 7 Hour Dr. some not exactly in the backyard.)

She's analogizing to other sports where they do have a single location for the Sweet 16, and serious fans make it a destination trip. Very serious basketball fans can have their fill of basketball, and fans of a particular team can find plenty to do in the area.

I'd still prefer to ease into this — starting with a superregional in Las Vegas for 8 teams, and a superregional for the other 8, possibly rotating between Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina or other suitable Eastern locations.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/13/19 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
linkster wrote:

agree in theory that this might be 'fairer'. But in practice, it really would hurt a lot of revenue from loss of fans. And this year, as I expounded elsewhere, I think it would be very hard to come up with a satisfactory S-curve anyway. IMO regionals as they are really aren't so terrible. And as the good coaches will say, "you just have to win the next one and move on". I know East Coast teams moan and groan about being sent out West, but there are a bunch of West Coast teams that have to go back East as well. Might as well learn early that not everything in life is 'fair'. Stanford and Oregon State are both going to have long travel days for sure, and most of the other P12 teams will as well, especially this year when there aren't any regionals in the midwest (ie Texas or Oklahoma) as there usually are. So a 2000 mile trip to Chicago will be the 'closest' for most of them. Life is tough! Wink

I got news for you Myrtle, Chicago is considered mid west.
You make a big deal out of distance. Sure, UConn fans have had it good as far a their regional site but so what? It's the benefit of often being the overall one seed and not nearly the edge teams that host the 1st 2 rounds have over their competition. And I don't see UConn fans staying home when the FF is 1500 miles away, which is often the case. Distance can mean at most a few extra hours on a plane but there isn't much difference between a site 750 miles away and one 1500 miles away.

And it would end forever the power of the committee to screw around with the pairings and the resulting whining from fans when it happens.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/13/19 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

And it would end forever the power of the committee to screw around with the pairings and the resulting whining from fans when it happens.

My thoughts about the S-curve being so tight this year would still result in bitching and moaning about how the committee ranks them. I don't think we will escape bitching and moaning. Very Happy

And yeah, you Easterners think Chicago is Midwest, but out here Midwest is the Rocky Mountains Wink Anyway a Vegas venue would also benefit Westerners so there would inevitably be bitching and moaning about that as well.

- Amanda Gorman
icey23

PostPosted: 02/13/19 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Put it in New Orleans!!

PostPosted: 02/13/19 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
Yes, Antonelli's plan is to host the event in Las Vegas. Coincidentally, I chatted with her about this at a tournament in Las Vegas.

Obviously, she can speak for herself but my impression is that the main point isn't fans but fairness. Inevitably, and seemingly almost always for UConn, some of the regional locations will be very attractive for one fan base and less so for others. One attraction of Las Vegas is that there are virtually no likely Sweet 16 teams in the immediate area. (I'm pulling for Nevada to become one of those teams but that's a ways off and a 7 Hour Dr. some not exactly in the backyard.)

She's analogizing to other sports where they do have a single location for the Sweet 16, and serious fans make it a destination trip. Very serious basketball fans can have their fill of basketball, and fans of a particular team can find plenty to do in the area.

I'd still prefer to ease into this — starting with a superregional in Las Vegas for 8 teams, and a superregional for the other 8, possibly rotating between Ohio, Pennsylvania, North Carolina or other suitable Eastern locations.

What sport has one location for the final 16 ? Baseball & Softball have 8 at their world series . Sixteen seems like too many to me .

linkster

PostPosted: 02/13/19 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scfastpitch wrote:

What sport has one location for the final 16 ? Baseball & Softball have 8 at their world series . Sixteen seems like too many to me .

Those that have 8 play a double elimination tournament. With 16 teams wcbb would need 2 arenas the 1st day. 2 doubleheaders in the day from 11-4 and 2 more doubleheaders in the evening 6-11. Probably won't need 5 hours.

I've never been to Vegas during March madness but I have talked to several people who have and they say it's the party of the year despite not one game being played there. Even if you don't gamble there is an energy in Vegas that should be experienced.

Or the tournament can continue with games played in half-filled arenas.

scfastpitch

PostPosted: 02/14/19 7:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
scfastpitch wrote:

Those that have 8 play a double elimination tournament. With 16 teams wcbb would need 2 arenas the 1st day. 2 doubleheaders in the day from 11-4 and 2 more doubleheaders in the evening 6-11. Probably won't need 5 hours.

I've never been to Vegas during March madness but I have talked to several people who have and they say it's the party of the year despite not one game being played there. Even if you don't gamble there is an energy in Vegas that should be experienced.

Or the tournament can continue with games played in half-filled arenas.

How about 8 teams play on Monday , 8 play on Tuesday . off day on Wednesday ? Off days wouldn't be so bad in Vegas . Then quarter-finals on Thursday , semi-finals on Friday , off on Saturday and final game on Sunday . Might as well make a week of it .

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/14/19 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Eff the Vegas nonsense.

Get rid of the G-curve. It's pretty simple.

PostPosted: 02/15/19 1:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Huskies in white now, in Albany, after the Mizzou win?

PostPosted: 02/15/19 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I confess I didn't see that coming.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/15/19 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

UConn and Louisville now the only ones without a 'bad' loss. Well, technically Baylor's wasn't terrible, but UConn's and Louisville's losses are within that elite top six.

Baylor's also like MissSt in that their conference is so weak this year, they're not expected to lose again.

And now that MissSt is a #2 again, they could send them anywhere.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 02/15/19 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

UConn and Louisville now the only ones without a 'bad' loss. Well, technically Baylor's wasn't terrible, but UConn's and Louisville's losses are within that elite top six.

Baylor's also like MissSt in that their conference is so weak this year, they're not expected to lose again.

UConn has multiple losses, few quality wins and play in a much weaker conference than Miss St or Baylor. Their resume is only marginally better than NC State. If the Pack beat Notre Dame this weekend, it will take some serious contortions of logic to keep the Hussies ahead of them.

PostPosted: 02/15/19 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh boy try not to sound more biased. Laughing Laughing I like your enthusiasm though.

The way things are going Miss St should only drop 1 spot as their loss is not as bad as NDs losses. However it was at home but I still don't think it will be more than a one spot drop. It will really get interesting if Louisville loses. Baylor and Uconn will stay where they are in the top 4 barring a disastrous loss and if top 4 win out they will stay the same.

elsie

PostPosted: 02/15/19 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we drive to Vegas for the WCC tournament....1100 miles from our house....we have flown but we enjoy driving and having our car in Vegas....

in previous yrs the tourney would be several days but this year since our Lady Zags are doing so well we only need to be there Monday and Tuesday but we go on Friday regardless.....

often the MWC is there and this year the Pac 12 is going to be there....

ITS a BIG party....Zags own the Orleans and its eating, drinking, laughing, gambling and visiting and oh yes a whole bunch of games to go to...

its a blast.....

elsie

PostPosted: 02/15/19 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oh, I am soooo pulling for Ncst what with all the hate here.......

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 02/15/19 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good luck against ND, I will be rooting for you Wink

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 02/15/19 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

UConn has multiple losses, few quality wins and play in a much weaker conference than Miss St or Baylor. Their resume is only marginally better than NC State. If the Pack beat Notre Dame this weekend, it will take some serious contortions of logic to keep the Hussies ahead of them.

Really?

If NC ST wins, then each team's best win is a wash. NC ST's 2nd best win will then be Massey #19 while UConn's will be Massey #13.

Then #33 vs #27. Then #35 vs #34.

There is no comparison re: the losses:

NC ST lost to #s 41 and 22; CT to #s 2 and 3.

PostPosted: 02/15/19 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohhhh....the Homerism Hormones are running high 'bout now....

"It's the most wonderful time of the year!" Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: