RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Holly
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/08/19 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

If she fails, then the dreams of glory will finally be blown away by the harsh reality of the game today, and Tennessee can rebuild from the ground up with an experienced coach with (maybe) no Tennessee ties.

Aren't they already at this point? Why delay it another 5 years?

zune69

PostPosted: 04/08/19 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Minnesota has history too. Ancient history, but that’s what got Whalen hired. As far as expectations, I’m in Minnesota and who has more expectations than me? People in Minnesota have as much pride as people in Tennessee.

You're right shades. Just because Minnesota doesn't have 8 National Titles does not mean their fans should be any less demanding or have lower expectations than Tenn, Uconn, ND, etc...

Shades wrote:
I’ve been questioning it since the hire. But that doesn’t mean she shouldn’t get a few years to try to get the program rolling. That’s pretty standard. Who gets fired after one year? Nobody.... especially in women’s basketball, which is not a money-maker for any school.

Lawson should definitely get more than one year to prove herself. However, with the number of proven HC/AC willing to take the job, and amount of resources available. I think some Vol fans are going to be more critical of Lawson.

Shades wrote:
So what, they can question all they want. Sounds like you already have low expectations for Lawson.

Kara played the game at multiple levels, is very intelligent, and a good public speaker. Unlike Warlick, Lawson is very comfortable doing interviews in front of the camera and media. So I actually have high expectations of Lawson, and that's going to be part of the problem. Being a good coach takes time. I think Lawson would be better off starting off as an assistant rather than jumping into the deep end of the pool.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/08/19 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lot of HC success depends on who they hire as ACs, as they do so much of the behind the scenes work. Kara would have the sense to hire good ACs, I think, who would do much of the work for her. Just a thought. She's still not my top choice though.

PostPosted: 04/08/19 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

According to Atticus Finch, we'll know the winner of Kara-Kellie by Friday.

https://twitter.com/collegebbscoop/status/1115332185127641093

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/08/19 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

If they interviewed Wes Moore, I wouldn't discount him after the phenomenal job he's done at NC State.

summertime blues wrote:
A lot of HC success depends on who they hire as ACs, as they do so much of the behind the scenes work.

THIS! I think a lot of people don't quite understand just how important that is.

- Amanda Gorman
PRballer

PostPosted: 04/08/19 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
PRballer wrote:

If they interviewed Wes Moore, I wouldn't discount him after the phenomenal job he's done at NC State.

summertime blues wrote:
A lot of HC success depends on who they hire as ACs, as they do so much of the behind the scenes work.

THIS! I think a lot of people don't quite understand just how important that is.

Myrtle, yep, Wes would actually be my pick for the Lady Vols job but according to a recent report he's staying at NC State - though curiously he never flatly denies or confirms anything about the UT job:

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/sports/college/university-of-tennessee/womens-basketball/2019/04/01/lady-vols-next-coach-wes-moore-nc-state-tennessee-womens-basketball/3315144002/

Rumors indicate it's Kellie or Kara. Kellie seems like a great choice.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/08/19 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Announcing on take-out-the-trash-day suggests they're anticipating some negative reaction.

PostPosted: 04/08/19 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well they are dealing with the Rick Barnes to UCLA fiasco now, so that could delay things.

As soon as I posted the Wes Moore story and Atticus tweet Hyams tweeted out this, which makes me think he's making a strong offer to Wes Moore and he's now back in the mix?:

https://twitter.com/JimmyHyams/status/1115286253707067392

"Fulmer has interviewed LVFL Kelli Harper (Missouri State) and NC State coach Wes Moore. He is believed to have talked to LVFL Kara @karalawson20, who does great job as ESPN commentator."

Either way, I imagine if they wait until Friday, it will leak...and it could be that he went to Tampa to interview several candidates but spent considerable time with Lawson for her input on the job.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/08/19 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Well they are dealing with the Rick Barnes to UCLA fiasco now, so that could delay things.

As soon as I posted the Wes Moore story and Atticus tweet Hyams tweeted out this, which makes me think he's making a strong offer to Wes Moore and he's now back in the mix?:

"Fulmer has interviewed LVFL Kelli Harper (Missouri State) and NC State coach Wes Moore. He is believed to have talked to LVFL Kara @karalawson20, who does great job as ESPN commentator."

Either way, I imagine if they wait until Friday, it will leak...and it could be that he went to Tampa to interview several candidates but spent considerable time with Lawson for her input on the job.

It might make sense that he'd spend some time talking to Kara about the candidates, since she's a LVFL and on the BoT also.

Wes Moore is a good candidate, IMNSHO. The only thing that concerns me about him is his age. He's 63 already. How long would he reasonably expect to coach?

PostPosted: 04/08/19 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PRballer wrote:

It might make sense that he'd spend some time talking to Kara about the candidates, since she's a LVFL and on the BoT also.

Wes Moore is a good candidate, IMNSHO. The only thing that concerns me about him is his age. He's 63 already. How long would he reasonably expect to coach?

I think the reality is coaches are hired for the next 5 year contract - long gone are the days of the career coaches (meaning at the same institution)... Wes will be 62 this April. I just don't see the age being an issue for what is a bit of a short-term fix/hire - heck, Rick Barnes is 64 and rumored for the UCLA job. Geno is 65. Tara is 65. Muffet is 63. Gary Blair is 73. Coach K is 72.

His age wouldn't concern me honestly - the biggest thing is getting the Lady Vols back to the Final Four/competing for SEC and national championships and I can see him doing that in the next 5-8 years.

I've said from the beginning this hire comes down to Wes Moore or Kellie. Agree Kara is strictly consulting at this point.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/08/19 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

None of us knows what Lawson's occupational preferences are or how much money she makes at her current gigs, but being a TV game and studio commentator certainly seems to be a lot easier, cushier and pressure-free job than being a head coach. Kara's at the top of the announcer profession in WBB and also is making a name for herself in MBB as an NBA announcer. Unless Kara's dying to ceaselessly recruit high school kids all over America and work with them in the gym all the time, I don't know why she'd give up her current lifestyle. Money, even if it's available in greater quantities, is far from everything.
lvf08

PostPosted: 04/08/19 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
@collegebbscoop
3m3 minutes ago

Tennessee: Kelley Harper Jolley will be named the new head coach. Look for announcement soon.

https://twitter.com/collegebbscoop/status/1115383990838542337

Shades

PostPosted: 04/08/19 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems like a good choice that will make everybody happy. Will Stiles get the Missouri State job now?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 04/08/19 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lvf08 wrote:
Quote:
@collegebbscoop
3m3 minutes ago

Tennessee: Kelley Harper Jolley will be named the new head coach. Look for announcement soon.

https://twitter.com/collegebbscoop/status/1115383990838542337

I'd be more impressed with this news from this source if they could get her name right.
Youth Coach

PostPosted: 04/08/19 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By the way, Kellie Harper was named 2019 Kay Yow Coach of the Year. Article Link
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/08/19 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Seems like a good choice that will make everybody happy...

Bwahaha. The Tenn faithful on VN are whining that if KJH is the best they could hire, they might as well have kept Holly.

Phil

PostPosted: 04/08/19 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
In general, I like experienced coaches to be hired, but Lawson wouldn't be a bad call for Tennessee.

If she fails, then the dreams of glory will finally be blown away by the harsh reality of the game today, and Tennessee can rebuild from the ground up with an experienced coach with (maybe) no Tennessee ties. The expectations would be realistic, which would be a major step forward, I think.

If she succeeds, it's a win-win.

Very interesting perspective.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/08/19 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Shades wrote:
Seems like a good choice that will make everybody happy...
Bwahaha. The Tenn faithful on VN are whining that if KJH is the best they could hire, they might as well have kept Holly.

I still think they shoulda interviewed Coach P....just to dangle "what if" to the chronic complainers.

Whatever/whomever....God Bless 'em all! I hope Good Things happen there.

PostPosted: 04/08/19 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

I think the reality is coaches are hired for the next 5 year contract - long gone are the days of the career coaches (meaning at the same institution)... Wes will be 62 this April. I just don't see the age being an issue for what is a bit of a short-term fix/hire - heck, Rick Barnes is 64 and rumored for the UCLA job. Geno is 65. Tara is 65. Muffet is 63. Gary Blair is 73. Coach K is 72.

You've reached the point of contradiction. Except for Barnes, who was in his 60's when hired, all those coaches have been at their current jobs for a long time. Career coaches at one institution are still with us and probably always will be.

PostPosted: 04/08/19 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

The 4 coaches in bolded have coached at their current schools for more than 30 years (Hired before the age of 35). Prior to hiring Blair. Texas A&M had lost 16 or more games 7 consecutive seasons and finished 9th or worse in their conference. Experienced quality coaches weren't lining up to coach at A&M. Blair was also only 57 at the time of his hiring.......What Tennessee needs is a relatively young (less than 55) proven HC ( Walz,Frese), or top AC (Ivey) who has experience at one of the elite programs. That being said, Wes Moore would be a good hire.

The only HC's I would hire who are over the age 60 are Geno,Mulkey, Muffet and Wes Moore.

Last edited by zune69 on 04/08/19 9:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 04/08/19 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
. . . The only HC I would hire who are over the age 60 are Geno,Mulky and Muffet. That being said, Wes Moore would be a good hire.

Kim Mulkey is 56.

zune69

PostPosted: 04/08/19 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
zune69 wrote:
. . . The only HC I would hire who are over the age 60 are Geno,Mulky and Muffet. That being said, Wes Moore would be a good hire.

Kim Mulkey is 56.

Edit: Sorry for my stupidity. I made an assumption without looking up the facts...Kim was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy about 7 years ago. I'm sure this has taken a toll on her appearance.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/09/19 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Awe damn im going to think optimistically and say she will be a Top 5 coach nationally within the next 10 years. Gotta start somewhere right? Ex : Brenda frese

PostPosted: 04/09/19 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We are FAM-I-LY.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/09/19 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Awe damn im going to think optimistically and say she will be a Top 5 coach nationally within the next 10 years. Gotta start somewhere right? Ex : Brenda frese

When Brenda Frese was the age Harper is now, she had multiple deep tournament runs, including a national championship

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: