RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Holly
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/02/19 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Tennessee reaches out to Kellie Harper

http://hosted.stats.com/wcbk/story.asp?i=20190401192925996753708

Quote:
Missouri State athletic director Kyle Moats confirmed Monday that Tennessee had notified him of the school's "interest in speaking with Coach Harper about their women's head coaching position."

Legitimate question...

Would Kellie Harper be a candidate at Tennessee had she not played there?

I was having this discussion with a friend about UNC, should the university fire Sylvia Hatchell. Charlotte Smith (Elon) might be a candidate based on what she did in 2016-17 and 2017-18 (two NCAA Tournament berths), though this year was not nearly as good (lost 3 seniors to graduation, team is almost all freshmen and sophomores). But Elon is a low major, not even a mid-major. Smith played on UNC's 1994 national championship team -- and hit the game winning shot in the 1994 national championship game -- but would she really be a (hypothetical) candidate for the UNC vacancy (again, hypothetical) if she had not played at UNC?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/19 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Would Kellie Harper be a candidate at Tennessee had she not played there?

She might be a candidate but she'd be far down the list, even assuming she had won three NC's at another school. If she hadn't won any NC's as a player, I doubt she'd be considered at all.

If UTK is willing to take an experienced assistant coach, as I see Ivey's name frequently mentioned, perhaps Shea Ralph should be in the conversation. Or is she too tainted by Great Satanism?
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/03/19 9:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And would Kara Lawson's name even be mentioned as a candidate if she hadn't played there? I think not.

Enough already with the assistants. Cough up the money and hire Walz. I'm tired of the BS excuses that the new coach has to be an alum, or a woman, or some other BS nonsense. Get the best, proven head coach that you can entice away from his/her current job.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/03/19 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Y'all are assuming Walz would want to be there. Maybe he wouldn't want to coach in front of an audience of spoiled brats. Just saying.

PostPosted: 04/03/19 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
And would Kara Lawson's name even be mentioned as a candidate if she hadn't played there? I think not.

Enough already with the assistants. Cough up the money and hire Walz. I'm tired of the BS excuses that the new coach has to be an alum, or a woman, or some other BS nonsense. Get the best, proven head coach that you can entice away from his/her current job.

I can't imagine why Walz would give up what he has at Louisville for a worse situation at Tennessee.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/03/19 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

Almost EVERY head coach today started as an assistant somewhere. Even in a high-powered program, a new HC might have been an AC at another high-powered program. Geez. Tennessee is no more special than anywhere else. Not any more. And I say that as a very long time Tennessee fan. We seriously need to get over ourselves.

PostPosted: 04/03/19 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
If UTK is willing to take an experienced assistant coach, as I see Ivey's name frequently mentioned, perhaps Shea Ralph should be in the conversation. Or is she too tainted by Great Satanism?

Actually, if UNC fires Sylvia Hatchell, I could easily see the Tar Heels going after Shea Ralph. Not only is she a longtime assistant (15 or so years), she has over a decade of experience at the best program in the country.

And Ralph is from North Carolina, having been born in Raleigh and graduated from high school in Fayetteville. UNC recruited Ralph when she was in high school (and I believe UNC was one of her finalists).

Ralph's mother, Marsha (Mann) Lake, was an All-American basketball player for UNC (and I believe her number is either honored or retired).

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/03/19 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Actually, if UNC fires Sylvia Hatchell, I could easily see the Tar Heels going after Shea Ralph. Not only is she a longtime assistant (15 or so years), she has over a decade of experience at the best program in the country.

And Ralph is from North Carolina, having been born in Raleigh and graduated from high school in Fayetteville. UNC recruited Ralph when she was in high school (and I believe UNC was one of her finalists).

Ralph's mother, Marsha (Mann) Lake, was an All-American basketball player for UNC (and I believe her number is either honored or retired).

If Shea would ever leave UConn, I think UNC would probably be the only place she'd go. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

PostPosted: 04/03/19 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about this man?

https://cuse.com/images/2016/4/20/Q19.jpg?width=300

Last edited by RavenDog on 04/03/19 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/03/19 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

N/A

Last edited by RavenDog on 04/03/19 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
RavenDog

N/A

Last edited by RavenDog on 04/03/19 7:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
RavenDog

NA

Last edited by RavenDog on 04/03/19 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/03/19 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

N/A

pilight

PostPosted: 04/03/19 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Walz staying on as the Louisville coach

https://www.courier-
journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2019/04/03/jeff-walz-staying-louisville-womens-basketball-coach/3358350002/

Quote:
Walz addressed a tweet from a Chattanooga Times Free Press reporter last week that said "Louisville is prepared to lose" Walz to Tennessee at the end of the season.

"Some guy put that on Twitter from Chattanooga, whatever that was. I have no idea where that came from. Nobody does," Walz said during the radio interview. "It’s just like anything else on social media, whatever you put on social media has to be true. So if you want something out there, just throw it out there."

PostPosted: 04/03/19 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Walz staying on as the Louisville coach

https://www.courier-
journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2019/04/03/jeff-walz-staying-louisville-womens-basketball-coach/3358350002/

Quote:
Walz addressed a tweet from a Chattanooga Times Free Press reporter last week that said "Louisville is prepared to lose" Walz to Tennessee at the end of the season.

"Some guy put that on Twitter from Chattanooga, whatever that was. I have no idea where that came from. Nobody does," Walz said during the radio interview. "It’s just like anything else on social media, whatever you put on social media has to be true. So if you want something out there, just throw it out there."

Y'all wouldn't listen when I tried to tell ya! (that is addressed to some Tennessee people, they know who they are)

PostPosted: 04/03/19 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Almost EVERY head coach today started as an assistant somewhere. Even in a high-powered program, a new HC might have been an AC at another high-powered program. Geez. Tennessee is no more special than anywhere else. Not any more. And I say that as a very long time Tennessee fan. We seriously need to get over ourselves.

True - even Pat Summitt was an assistant coach before taking the head coaching job at Tenn....

Davis4632

PostPosted: 04/04/19 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I think it's common knowledge that almost every head coach start out as an assistant somewhere. I believe what FrozenLVFan is talking about assistants at high powered programs like Niele Ivey and Shea Ralph that have never been head coaches. It's no guaranteed that being assistant coach at Notre Dame or UConn means that you're going to be a successful head coach.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/04/19 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The current scuttlebutt on VN is that Fulmer is interviewing Carolyn Peck and Melanie Balcomb. Hopefully the former is just fiction, but Balcomb is an interesting candidate. She did pretty well at Xavier, and did more with less at Vandy than I think anyone else ever could. Whether she could be successful on the big stage is a question mark. And I doubt Tenn fans will ever accept a former Vandy coach.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/04/19 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OMG, NOT Balcomb! She was the one who let Vandy go completely down the tubes from what Jim Foster had built. She's godawful and should never be a head coach again!!

PostPosted: 04/04/19 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of Melanie Balcomb: would Tennessee hire an out lesbian who is married and has adopted black kids?
https://www.outsports.com/2017/3/31/15141800/ncaa-women-final-four-melanie-balcomb-homophobia

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/04/19 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
The current scuttlebutt on VN is that Fulmer is interviewing Carolyn Peck and Melanie Balcomb. Hopefully the former is just fiction, but Balcomb is an interesting candidate. She did pretty well at Xavier, and did more with less at Vandy than I think anyone else ever could. Whether she could be successful on the big stage is a question mark. And I doubt Tenn fans will ever accept a former Vandy coach.

As an aside, back when Pat Summitt stepped down, the majority of Tennessee fans would not have accepted anyone outside of Holly Warlick or anyone outside the LV family.

And here we are...

Louisville accepted Rick Pitino as its head coach, after he led Kentucky to the 1996 national title (then had an NBA stint that did not go so well). He led Louisville to the 2013 national title.

Putting aside other issues in Pitino's tenure, hiring a former UK coach -- even one who won a national title -- did not sit well AT ALL with the Louisville faithful. Winning the national title dispelled most UL fans of any negative feelings about hiring a former UK coach.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/04/19 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, it would be like UVA hiring Joanne P. McCallie....or the men's side hiring Coach K. There are some things that are just NOT DONE.

PostPosted: 04/04/19 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Updated Lady Vols Head Coach Hot Board
by RTI Staff - Apr 4, 2019
https://www.rockytopinsider.com/2019/04/04/updated-lady-vols-head-coach-hot-board/

We’ve updated the list of candidates with a couple new additions and with the removal of NC State head coach Wes Moore after he publicly said he’s not interested in the position and Louisville head coach Jeff Walz after he confirmed he’s staying at Louisville.

Take a look at our updated list of likely candidates for the Lady Vols’ head coaching position.

A few notes...

--- Becky Hammon (San Antonio - NBA) is included (as she should be), but the analysis notes her trajectory and interest at the professional level.

--- Nikki McCray-Penson (Old Dominion) is listed, but the excerpt about her notes the following:

As a player, Nikki McCray was a star for the Lady Vols and helped them win the 1991 national championship.

Except...she did not.

Per the Tennessee Lady Vols roster archives, Nikki McCray is not listed on the 1990-1991 team that won the national title.

https://utsports.com/roster.aspx?roster=1197&path=wbball

Per the Tennessee Lady Vols Media Guide, Nikki McCray is not listed on the roster for the 1990-1991 team that won the national title.

Highest 1990-91 ranking: 2nd (1-15-91)
Lowest 1990-91 ranking: 10th (12-11-90)
Final 1990-91 poll position: 4th (3-12-91)
Actual NCAA finish: NCAA CHAMPIONS

Code:
No. Name Year Pos. Ht. Hometown PPG RPG FG-Pct. FT-Pct.
3 *Jody Adams SO G 5-4 Cleveland, TN 8.5 2.3 .460 .769
5 Regina Clark JR G 5-8 Saginaw, MI 3.0 0.9 .390 .656
11 *Dena Head JR G 5-10 Canton, MI 13.1 5.7 .505 .713
15 Marlene Jeter SO C 6-0 Carlisle, SC 3.7 2.4 .414 .606
20 Peggy Evans FR C 6-0 Detroit, MI 8.5 5.7 .537 .744
21 *Lisa Harrison SO F 6-0 Louisville, KY 7.6 5.7 .397 .508
32 *Daedra Charles SR C 6-3 Detroit, MI 17.3 9.2 .561 .585
33 Nikki Caldwell FR G 5-10 Oak Ridge, TN 8.6 1.6 .393 .657
34 *Kelli Casteel JR C 6-2 Maryville, TN 7.9 4.1 .525 .672
50 Tamara Carver FR G 5-6 Cosby, TN 1.0 0.3 .500 .000
52 Debbie Hawhee JR F 6-1 Greeneville, TN 3.0 1.9 .404 .548

https://utsports.com/documents/2018/11/6/18_19_History_p_71_104.pdf

She is also not listed in the box score for the 1991 NCAA Championship game.

Code:
Tennessee FG-FGA 3FG-FGA FT-FTA REB PF TP A TO BLK S MIN
ADAMS* 0-7 0-3 2-4 2 3 2 1 2 0 0 37
HEAD* 9-17 0-0 10-14 9 3 28 3 8 0 3 41
HARRISON* 3-10 0-0 2-3 13 3 8 0 2 1 1 36
CHARLES* 7-13 0-0 5-7 12 5 19 0 3 3 2 40
CASTEEL* 1-7 0-0 2-3 5 2 4 1 2 0 0 29
CLARK 0-1 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 3
EVANS 3-5 0-0 1-3 2 5 7 0 3 1 0 20
CALDWELL 1-1 0-0 0-1 3 2 2 3 2 0 1 19
TEAM 3
Totals 24-61 0-3 22-35 49 23 70 8 23 5 7 225

https://utsports.com/documents/2018/11/6/18_19_NCAA_p_113_128.pdf

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/04/19 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Think they confused McCray with Caldwell . Mccray Played from 92 to 1995

PostPosted: 04/04/19 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.rockytopinsider.com/2019/04/04/updated-lady-vols-head-coach-hot-board/

^^^^ THAT, people, is a joke. Nothing more than speculation, just like on this list. "Insider"? No more so than anywhere else.

Harper and maybe Mitchell I will buy. Peck has been out of coaching for so long she's probably forgotten how. Lawson has never coached nor has she ever expressed an interest in coaching. It's more like somebody's "wish list", and not a very good one at that.

While we're throwing out names, did anyone mention Aaron Johnson?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: