RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seating requirement for NCAA Tournament Games?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/11/19 10:15 pm    ::: Seating requirement for NCAA Tournament Games? Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there is a minimum seating requirement for a facility for hosting first and second round NCAA Tournament games?

pilight

PostPosted: 02/11/19 10:57 pm    ::: Re: Seating requirement for NCAA Tournament Games? Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a minimum seating requirement for a facility for hosting first and second round NCAA Tournament games?

The hosting operations manual is HERE:

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/basketball/d1/women/2018-19D1WBB_FirstSecondRoundHostOpsManual.pdf

I can't find anything specifying a minimum seating requirement except that about 1000 seats have to allocated for ESPN, the NCAA, the other participating schools, bands, etc.

PostPosted: 02/12/19 6:55 am    ::: Re: Seating requirement for NCAA Tournament Games? Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

The hosting operations manual is HERE:

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/basketball/d1/women/2018-19D1WBB_FirstSecondRoundHostOpsManual.pdf

I can't find anything specifying a minimum seating requirement except that about 1000 seats have to allocated for ESPN, the NCAA, the other participating schools, bands, etc.

Thanks.

I found a bid information document and also couldn't find a seating requirement there.

Marquette's facility has a capacity of 3,700 and someone asked on another board if the Al was big enough to host post-season games.

I was recalling Tulane not being able to host one year because their Arena wasn't big enough. A google search revealed that was 1997 when they were a 4 seed and had to play at 5 seed George Washington. It looks like their Arena's capacity was 3,500 at that time so right around the capacity of the Al (Tulane's facility has since been expanded). But the seating capacity requirements could have been different at that time too.

In any case, Marquette Women's Bball tweeted something last night about games being at the Al if the season ended today after the announcement. So it sounds like Marquette can host at the Al. Now they just need to keep winning so they can be at least a 4 seed. The BE isn't super strong so any losses will likely hurt them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: