RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cal @ 8 Stanford 2.2.19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/02/19 7:18 pm    ::: Cal @ 8 Stanford 2.2.19 Reply Reply with quote

Stfu Mary Murphy.

STOP YELLING ABOUT EVERY PLAY AS IF IT'S THE GREATEST EVER

PostPosted: 02/02/19 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, thus far it might seem Stanford is having none of a 'repeat' of the last game. Shocked

PostPosted: 02/02/19 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looked like a bs call on Anigwe., imo.

PostPosted: 02/02/19 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

she's getting plenty of superstar calls herself so pretty hard to feel sorry for her. If the trees breathe on her, she goes to the line.

- Amanda Gorman
calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/03/19 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kristine Anigwe had back-to-back 20-20 games against Stanford. No one had a 20 point, 20 rebound effort against the Cardinal in 20 years and Anigwe did it in back-to-back games.

The difference between today's game and Thursday's was simple, the Cal team, other than Anigwe, didn't produce. Cal shot 45% from the floor Thursday, 27% today. Cal was 40% from 3 on Thursday, 18% today. Cal can compete with top teams ONLY IF they can get meaningful contributions from other players besides Anigwe.

Anigwe tied the all-time scoring record at Cal today and is just 21 rebounds shy of Gennifer Brandon's all time record for rebounds

insidewinder

PostPosted: 02/03/19 12:35 am    ::: Anigwe Reply Reply with quote

Anigwe has been fabulous this season and certainly was this week. Much better overall as a senior and she was darn good before. Thomas is a senior too, right? Cal is going to be hurting next year...

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/03/19 5:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anigwe we see you!

PostPosted: 02/03/19 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

she's getting plenty of superstar calls herself so pretty hard to feel sorry for her. If the trees breathe on her, she goes to the line.

regardless, it looked like a bs ugrade to me. how about you? Very Happy

PostPosted: 02/03/19 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

regardless, it looked like a bs ugrade to me. how about you? :D

I couldn't see it at the game, but from the TV replay you can see, she hit Wilson in the head with her forearm. I understand that's a mandatory call in college.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/03/19 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

regardless, it looked like a bs ugrade to me. how about you? Very Happy

Yeah, I don't necessarily agree with the rule - if there's any contact to the head, it's almost automatic these days. But it is pretty much what they go by, even though announcers are always saying "it was just a basketball play". IMO the issue is when the defender is in the offensive player's cylinder such that the offensive player can't lower their arms without hitting them. I didn't go back to look at this one to see if that were the case.

But my point with Anigwe was that she lowers her shoulders and head and butts into the defender almost every time she gets the ball in the post...and in this game, she got the call every time. Plus she got a lot of phantom calls where even on the replay you could see there was no contact whatsoever. There is no way she should have gone to the line 16 times. And IMO she should have fouled out in the third quarter. I didn't see the previous game so don't know if they called it the same there. But I think she's going to be surprised when some refs call a whole bunch of O-fouls on her.

In general though, Cal's shooters couldn't hit even the backboard a lot of the time. I don't know what happened to the team that hit a bazillion threes in the previous game. And Anigwe needs their help to beat a decent team. But it does highlight the fact that on any particular night, any team can beat another. Which makes the whole season pretty exciting.

In one sense I feel a bit sorry for Dodson in that she's only going to get to play these last 10 games or so, whereas she could have redshirted for another full year. Still we have needed her desperately. For one thing, she absorbs some of the post fouls to help keep Alanna Smith from fouling out. But in general, she provides a much needed post presence, especially when you're facing a team with a dominant post player.

- Amanda Gorman
calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/03/19 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Anigwe foul calls have been an issue her entire career. She has always gotten her share of offensive foul calls but is getting fewer this season. I believe that is because she is not lowering her shoulder as early and is closer to the defender when she does it. She may also be benefitting by senior star status. But I also think that those are WNBA moves that are less likely to be called at the next level.

Interesting that Anigwe only got 8 FT attempts at Cal and twice as many at Stanford. I believe that is because Tara adjusted her defense to get closer to Anigwe and that helped her to get more foul calls.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: