RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Notre Dame @ UNC 1/27 2pm
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:10 pm    ::: Notre Dame @ UNC 1/27 2pm Reply Reply with quote

Streaming WATCHESPN/ACCNE

Jackie Young hurt her ankle in practice this morning and is not playing. It's always a bit tougher when you don't have a chance to practice with the changed lineup, and it really shows.

UNC actually leads by SEVEN in the 3rd Q. It's been back and forth and ND is making lots of unforced errors.

These UNC announcers are out of their minds. And they can't even bother to try to get ND names right. It's Jordan Shepard, and I won't even try the various pronunciations of Ogunbowale. Oh, and Mabrey is apparently now a forward.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Classic. Turner gets a lob underneath the basket and gets pushed from behind. The announcer's explanation for the UNC player? "It looked like she fell into her."

Yeah, that must be it.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paris Kea is playing out of her mind and UNC leads by 9 as the third quarter ends.

Young's absence is manifested in ND's 17 turnovers in three quarter's of play.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UNC scored first with one free throw to make it 10, but ND has scored 8 straight to close to within 2. Timeout UNC with 6:45 to go.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

65-65 with 4:07 left in the 4th.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UNC just keeps draining threes.

UNC up 5 with 40 seconds. ND timeout.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They can make 3s. Can they make FT?

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND scores 2, gets a break on an offensive foul call, but then Shepard throws the ball out of bounds.

UNC up 3 with 18 seconds left.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
They can make 3s. Can they make FT?

Well, made one of 2 for a 4 pt lead.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jump ball on rebound, possession to UNC.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like UNC is going to pull the huge upset.

I hope Young gets better very very soon. Crying or Very sad

Davis4632

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UNC wins 78-73.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even without Young this is a truly stunning result.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, ND played crappy today. Kudos to UNC. They played tough and hit their 3s (way too many of them).

That was probably the worst passing I've seen by ND in I don't know how long. Way too many passes over the heads of the players (or where the player wasn't). Ogunbowales's really bad shooting night didn't help either.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paris Kea 11/17 from the floor, 5/8 from the arc, 30 pts., 10 assists. Hell of a game.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/27/19 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wonderful renaissance win by the once formidable Tar Heels, who won not via their signature run & gun but by a decent half court and defensive game. At least for this one game, Paris Kea looked as good a shooter/passer as any guard in the country.
Phil

PostPosted: 01/27/19 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm glad that atrocious offensive foul called against Kea didn't become the difference — it felt like it at that time.

Jackie Young is their best player and this game helps demonstrate that.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/27/19 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The thing I like about Kea is her ability to come up big in big games. I think she often just doesn't get enough support so it's easy to overlook what she can do.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/27/19 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
I'm glad that atrocious offensive foul called against Kea didn't become the difference — it felt like it at that time.

Jackie Young is their best player and this game helps demonstrate that.

It wasn't a bad call at all. The announcers just got it wrong in describing w hat It was for. It was for blocking Ogunbowale out of bounds as Arike was going around her. It was absolutely the correct call although I was surprised they called it given their proclivities the first 39 minutes.

PRballer

PostPosted: 01/27/19 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agree that Young is the best player. Tough break for Notre Dame.

The ND seniors seem to lack poise and chemistry - I don’t think they will repeat with this lack of mental toughness.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/27/19 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

The ND seniors seem to lack poise and chemistry - I don’t think they will repeat with this lack of mental toughness.

I don't think the result is necessarily because Young is the "best player", but rather because she had assumed the point guard role. How many teams would be unaffected by losing their point guard two hours before the game starts and having to use a couple freshmen in her place? And mostly credit has to go to UNC for playing a great game.

Todays two big upsets also manifest the foolishness of one poster's ceaseless refrain about how all the power 5 conferences are just as pathetic as the AAC after the first couple teams. The reality is that most P5 teams throughout the standings have genuine talent - big, fast, skilled highly recruited players like Paris Kea - and have the ability to step up and pull an upset when the stars align. There is zero such risk in the AAC.

willtalk

PostPosted: 01/27/19 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The better coached team usually does win and that was definitely validated by the final score in today's game.

Last edited by willtalk on 01/27/19 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
linkster

PostPosted: 01/27/19 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting stat comparison - today Ogunbolwale was 5-21. The rest of the team shot 64%, which is good enough to win almost any game. In last year's championship game Ogunbowale shot 6-21 & was the MOP.

I doubt her performance today would win any awards.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/27/19 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
The better coached team usually does win and that was definitely validated by the final score in today's game.

????????

You want to explain that whopper please?

linkster

PostPosted: 01/27/19 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PRballer wrote:

I don't think the result is necessarily because Young is the "best player", but rather because she had assumed the point guard role. How many teams would be unaffected by losing their point guard two hours before the game starts and having to use a couple freshmen in her place? And mostly credit has to go to UNC for playing a great game.

Todays two big upsets also manifest the foolishness of one poster's ceaseless refrain about how all the power 5 conferences are just as pathetic as the AAC after the first couple teams. The reality is that most P5 teams throughout the standings have genuine talent - big, fast, skilled highly recruited players like Paris Kea - and have the ability to step up and pull an upset when the stars align. There is zero such risk in the AAC.

I say enough dumb things on this board without being misquoted to make a point Art. What I was saying wasn't that the P5 teams are as pathetic as the AAC, only that once you get by the first 2 teams (except the PAC12) all the P5 conferences are bad. The AAC is worse but only in the sense that the MOV's vs UConn will be 40 instead of 25. You can try and spin this pathetic loss as evidence of UNC's quality of play but they beat AAC mid-pack team USF by just 2 and lost to Maine and Penn St. They came into today's game 11-9 and until today was looking forward to the NIT.

But if it helps go ahead and pretend that the Irish lost to a good team with a future WNBA star. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: