RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coronavirus Pandemic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 02/25/20 10:10 pm    ::: Coronavirus Pandemic Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
With outbreaks raging in ­Italy, Iran, South Korea and other countries, US authorities now predict coronavirus will strike Americans here, causing “significant disruptions to our lives.” The warning came from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention official Nancy Messonnier at a Tuesday briefing.

Quote:
Some countries are canceling public events, closing businesses and schools, and urging people to stay home. Not so in the United States, though Messonnier sees that coming and has warned families to prepare.

Meanwhile, if you take mass transit to work, wash your hands afterward and avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. The virus is transmitted mostly through coughs and sneezing, but also by touching surfaces like subway poles or chair rails after an infected person.

https://nypost.com/2020/02/25/pandemic-prep-what-you-should-know-to-protect-against-coronavirus/

PostPosted: 02/26/20 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This virus becomes a lot harder to stop if the thinking is “you just can’t ban all travel to or from a country with a deadly virus” or “you just can’t quarantine everyone who traveled to a country with a deadly virus” . And “self-quarantine “ is a poor substitute for quarantine. Quarantining is not a good place to try and find cost savings. I heard a Centers for Disease Control guy say that you could ban travel to one country, but if the virus spreads to multiple countries then you would not be able to ban travel to all those countries. He didn’t say why he felt that, but I assume the answer would be “would hurt the economy too much”.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/26/20 7:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
This virus becomes a lot harder to stop if the thinking is “you just can’t ban all travel to or from a country with a deadly virus” or “you just can’t quarantine everyone who traveled to a country with a deadly virus” . And “self-quarantine “ is a poor substitute for quarantine. Quarantining is not a good place to try and find cost savings. I heard a Centers for Disease Control guy say that you could ban travel to one country, but if the virus spreads to multiple countries then you would not be able to ban travel to all those countries. He didn’t say why he felt that, but I assume the answer would be “would hurt the economy too much”.

You can ban travel to whatever countries you wish, but as long as people are using the same airports to get to those countries, paths are bound to cross and people are bound to become sick/infected.

I could be travelling from LA to London and just standing in line for a coffee next to someone at LAX that just arrived from Mexico City that had been in a rest room with someone that had just arrived from (pick a city), that had been a seat mate with someone from Beijing, it's over. It will take longer to spread, therefore giving time to work on a vaccine/treatment plan and put plans into place, but it's going to spread. Especially with China's denial of a problem for so long.

Also, if I'm going to Wuhan I'm going to be far more careful about wearing masks, washing my hands and avoiding people than I'm going to be if I'm flying from LA to London.

I would not want to be travelling right now, but reality is, I could still get sick in my own community. Someone from a nearby community has already been quarantined.

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Genero36

PostPosted: 02/26/20 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02/26/20 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
tfan wrote:

You can ban travel to whatever countries you wish, but as long as people are using the same airports to get to those countries, paths are bound to cross and people are bound to become sick/infected.

Yes, it probably would have to be a ban on all travel beyond certain minimum exceptions (like shipping) where the travelers would be forced to be quarantined and tested. Or require all travelers to pay for testing and quarantine. Which would bring about all kinds of shrieks and howls (and prevent it from being implemented) and be very disruptive and economically damaging. But it sounds like that virus spreading throughout the country will also be very disruptive and economically damaging, in addition to some amount of deaths. Hopefully the risk of a big spread is low and I am being overly cautious.

Genero36

PostPosted: 02/26/20 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02/27/20 12:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

You don't need to travel. Just be near the wrong person at the market who happened to be near the wrong person at airport, etc.

Surprisingly, Hawaii, the Crossroads of the Pacific for Asia/USA hasn't had a case yet. A couple who left the islands with no symptoms on Feb. 6 arrived in Japan with the virus so officials here are trying to track their activities, folks on the same flight, etc. I would think we will start getting some cases very soon.

Genero36

PostPosted: 02/27/20 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 02/27/20 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: