RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Democratic Presidential Primary Candidates 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 19825



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/21/19 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:
Sanders has talent. No one articulates on his feet a more politically compelling and impactful message and he has an incredible booming voice which he uses better than all but a few stage actors that I can't even think of at this time. His age will be an issue, crowded field will be an issue, so many women stepping forward will be an issue. But if he's healthy and he doesn't croak, they will all have their asses handed to them by Bernie. If there's 20 candidates in the race at the start, when there's two left, one will be Bernie Sanders. Put that in the bank and draw some interest on it.

The only reason I could see Bernie no being one of the final two is that Warren suddenly gains traction. But I doubt that will happen due to the negatives and how the media has Hillary'd her with the Native Americsn issue.


I don't know nothing about no Hillary'ing of her or the media. I've loved her and dreamed of her as president. But that application card to the Texas bar... wow.

I think all of these people are weirdos. Not a normal person in the bunch, including Bernie. So she deserves whatever judgment the voting public levies at her for claiming to be a native American in an official document like she has done.

The least weird is Kamala Harris. And she's pretty fucking weird.



_________________
Falsehood will fly on the wings of the wind, and carry its tales to every corner of the earth; whilst truth lags behind; her steps slow and solemn, she has neither the vigour nor activity to overtake her enemy. - Thomas Francklin
taropatch



Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 566
Location: Kau Rubbish Dump


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/21/19 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jammerbirdi wrote:

Quote:
I think all of these people are weirdos. Not a normal person in the bunch, including Bernie. So she deserves whatever judgment the voting public levies at her for claiming to be a native American in an official document like she has done.

The least weird is Kamala Harris. And she's pretty fucking weird.


Why would you label Amy as weird?

My Congresswoman, Tulsi is a bit on the weird side, and I would hope she drops out as soon as possible, not because she is weird but she is not qualified. Yeah I know, we learned in 2016 that lacking qualifications doesn't mean you can't win.


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 5254



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/21/19 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The questions I have is who will AOC align with (Bernie?) and what impact will that have on the primaries?

Will she be more of a positive to a dem. candidate or someone that the republicans use as a negative.



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 19825



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/21/19 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
Jammerbirdi wrote:

Quote:
I think all of these people are weirdos. Not a normal person in the bunch, including Bernie. So she deserves whatever judgment the voting public levies at her for claiming to be a native American in an official document like she has done.

The least weird is Kamala Harris. And she's pretty fucking weird.


Why would you label Amy as weird?

My Congresswoman, Tulsi is a bit on the weird side, and I would hope she drops out as soon as possible, not because she is weird but she is not qualified. Yeah I know, we learned in 2016 that lacking qualifications doesn't mean you can't win.


Klobuchar? Did you read the shit that came out on her? She's far worse than merely weird. What's incredible is that the media looked at it all and appears to have rendered a political verdict, *for the time being, based on the notion that to hold her accountable for who she is would be simply applying an unfair double standard to her as a woman because men wouldn't or aren't held accountable for the same behavior.

Now I put the asterisk there because here's how this shit works. When someone's running for president, this early in the game, any problematic shit that comes up about them is brushed aside. *For the time being. Always. It's part of the game the political media circus plays. That problematic shit now is money in the bank for the media later and they save it for when a candidate has been on national TV enough and is a much more widely known 'subject' of interest to bring any disparaging scandalous shit out about.

But that's how we end up with fucked up people like Trump in the White House. I'm not thinking it will happen in Kloburchar's case but the problem is that a candidate, as we saw in 2016, who has caught fire with the public can potentially outrun any negative story that comes out if he or she has the momentum and the popularity etc. People have gotten to the point where they aren't going to let the news media push their buttons and pull their levers in the voting booth for them.

But I say they're all weirdos. Tulsi is just a strange person kind of weird. Many of the others are the smiling face phony kind of weird. Even Bernie is a pretty weird dude with an imperfect past.



_________________
Falsehood will fly on the wings of the wind, and carry its tales to every corner of the earth; whilst truth lags behind; her steps slow and solemn, she has neither the vigour nor activity to overtake her enemy. - Thomas Francklin
jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 19825



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/21/19 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sooo this is going to sound crazy. But no Hillary this time around? Really? I'm not so sure how I feel about that. The toxic result of the 2016 election. I don't know. I just feel like one it could be a good thing, I don't want to say, the BEST thing, but, you know, I'm not sure it wouldn't be the best thing, would be a total do-over. No Tim Kaine as a running mate but Hillary would have to get past Bernie again and I'm not so sure she'd do it this time. Anyway. Yeah, I haven't had my breakfast yet so the blood sugar to the brain thing might be a factor.



_________________
Falsehood will fly on the wings of the wind, and carry its tales to every corner of the earth; whilst truth lags behind; her steps slow and solemn, she has neither the vigour nor activity to overtake her enemy. - Thomas Francklin
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 18191



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/21/19 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AOC should only be aligning with Bernie. Most Dems aren't in favor of her democratic-socialist theories. Beto should just wait and become the VP for whoever wins the nomination (unless it's Bernie).



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 50181



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/21/19 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
AOC should only be aligning with Bernie. Most Dems aren't in favor of her democratic-socialist theories.


On the contrary, “most Dems” are adopting her ideas because they polling well with the American people. Bernie is more popular than ever because of AOC.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mercfan3



Joined: 23 Nov 2004
Posts: 18400



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/21/19 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Sooo this is going to sound crazy. But no Hillary this time around? Really? I'm not so sure how I feel about that. The toxic result of the 2016 election. I don't know. I just feel like one it could be a good thing, I don't want to say, the BEST thing, but, you know, I'm not sure it wouldn't be the best thing, would be a total do-over. No Tim Kaine as a running mate but Hillary would have to get past Bernie again and I'm not so sure she'd do it this time. Anyway. Yeah, I haven't had my breakfast yet so the blood sugar to the brain thing might be a factor.


I love Hill, and if she were to run again, my heart would be with her.

But I think her, Bern and Biden should let the next generation of Dems take the mantle.

Voting hasn’t changed. Bernie needs to figure out how to appeal to minorities if he wants the nomination. He also needs to follow the rules this time, as I don’t think Harris, Booker, Warren..etc..are gonna simply ignore him.



_________________
“Anyone point out that a Donald Trump anagram is ‘Lord Dampnut’”- Colin Mochrie
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 7112



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/21/19 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At this point, what is being labeled "democratic socialist policies" really isn't an example of democratic socialism to me. They aren't any different than having the government pay for K-12 education or roads. Or medical care for people over 65. But when someone calls themselves a democratic socialist it leaves them open to attacks from the right about socialism. And both democratic socialism and socialism have a different ownership of corporations. It would be the government and/or the workers and/or cooperatives.

That's a good point about Bernie Sanders and the effectiveness of his booming voice during speeches.

I can't find it now, but some show put up a graphic that showed Sanders doing much better with African-Americans in a recent poll than he did in 2016. Although at this point, that could be just from his better name recognition.

The Democratic Race For 2020 Opens With A Battle for Black Voters

Quote:
The challenge with black voters may be greatest for Sanders, who faltered here in 2016 after shocking Clinton with a victory in New Hampshire. Since then, Sanders and his allies have worked assiduously to woo black voters, and he’s begun to mention racial discrimination more in his stump speech, bluntly calling Trump a “racist” during his speech here. The 77-year-old Vermonter, who famously dislikes discussing his biography, mentioned he traveled to Washington as a college student and heard King deliver his “I Have a Dream” speech.


PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14573
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/19 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
At this point, what is being labeled "democratic socialist policies" really isn't an example of democratic socialism to me. They aren't any different than having the government pay for K-12 education or roads. Or medical care for people over 65. But when someone calls themselves a democratic socialist it leaves them open to attacks from the right about socialism. And both democratic socialism and socialism have a different ownership of corporations. It would be the government and/or the workers and/or cooperatives.

That's a good point about Bernie Sanders and the effectiveness of his booming voice during speeches.

I can't find it now, but some show put up a graphic that showed Sanders doing much better with African-Americans in a recent poll than he did in 2016. Although at this point, that could be just from his better name recognition.

The Democratic Race For 2020 Opens With A Battle for Black Voters

Quote:
The challenge with black voters may be greatest for Sanders, who faltered here in 2016 after shocking Clinton with a victory in New Hampshire. Since then, Sanders and his allies have worked assiduously to woo black voters, and he’s begun to mention racial discrimination more in his stump speech, bluntly calling Trump a “racist” during his speech here. The 77-year-old Vermonter, who famously dislikes discussing his biography, mentioned he traveled to Washington as a college student and heard King deliver his “I Have a Dream” speech.


At this point, everything is name recognition. Campaigns haven't really started.


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5253
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/19 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've thought for over a year that Kamala Harris would be the strongest candidate. She checks all the Democrat Party identity politics boxes, and is aggressive, articulate and attractive. She has the ability to sound left wing enough to win the primary, and then to fake sufficient centrism to beat Trump in purple states.

I say that even though I strongly dislike her. As a senator she's accomplished nothing legislatively, and she's used her position on Senate committees simply to be a purely partisan, shrill and bullying torpedo. I have no doubt that her presidency would widen the tribal divisions in America even further. However, I doubt that 1% of voters know or care anything about her Senate career or have watched her over-the-top performances on the Senate Judiciary, Intelligence, and Homeland Security Committees. And I further assume she can be much more charming as a candidate than as senatorial Torquemada.

At this too-early point, I'd say Harris, Sanders and Biden have the most chops.
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 50181



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/19 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t think a Trump supporter makes the best advisor on who should be the democratic candidate.

Harris is out. Biden, I hope not. Klobuchar, too moderate to undo the Trump damage.

Gotta be Sanders, even though he’s likely too old to do two terms. He’d be in his early 80’s by the end of his second term. Maybe he’d relinquish to AOC in 2024?

I do think Sanders takes care of himself better than Trump, but 80’s?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 58141
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/19 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Gotta be Sanders, even though he’s likely too old to do two terms. He’d be in his early 80’s by the end of his second term


He'd be in his 80's less than a year into his first term



_________________
It's time I had some time alone
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7214
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/19 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I don’t think a Trump supporter makes the best advisor on who should be the democratic candidate.

Harris is out. Biden, I hope not. Klobuchar, too moderate to undo the Trump damage.

Gotta be Sanders, even though he’s likely too old to do two terms. He’d be in his early 80’s by the end of his second term. Maybe he’d relinquish to AOC in 2024?

I do think Sanders takes care of himself better than Trump, but 80’s?

I'm going to say this as a Sanders fan, because I wish it were different, but:

In what world do we think that any of the policies that Sanders is running on will be able to be enacted even if he actually managed to get elected in the general election, which seeing how he just blew the whole Venezuela thing is going to be tough.

But the country as a whole didn't suddenly just wake up and not have a Republican Senate and a moderate House. Medicare-for-All, Green New Deal, Free College for All, these policies are all DOA right now (and for the foreseeable future).

And we have to be careful with not misreading the polls about what America wants as a whole on these things. For instance, it is a common meme amongst my fellow progressives that Medicare For All is super popular amongst all Americans, even when you factor in Independents and Republicans. But that isn't really true. There are polls showing that people love the idea behind it, but then when you poll about the specifics--namely that they would have to give up their current plan and pay more in taxes--the popularity utterly bottoms out.

That's why as a fan of single payer, I actually like Klobuchar's plan of adding the Public option onto Obamacare. You allow people to buy into what is basically Medicaid at a capped 9.5% of income and it allows people to see their neighbors getting a nice well run policy through the Government. Then suddenly there isn't such a knee jerk reaction down the road if we decide that we want to make a full transition to single payer.

Trump's Wall gambit should teach us what happens when you go all in for something that just isn't going to happen instead of figuring out what might actually get accomplished to further your goals.



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 50181



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/19 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
Gotta be Sanders, even though he’s likely too old to do two terms. He’d be in his early 80’s by the end of his second term


He'd be in his 80's less than a year into his first term


He’s older than I thought. I guess I’m still in 2016 mode.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5253
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/19 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
I think Joe Biden is the only one who can beat that toupee fiasco.


NO MORE BOOMERS!


While there is ambiguity as to when the Baby Boom Generation began, both Biden and Sanders clearly belong to the one before, which is sometimes called the Silent Generation. If the Silent Generation is variously defined as 1925-28 to 1942-45, it has produced no presidents.
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 58141
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/19 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
I think Joe Biden is the only one who can beat that toupee fiasco.


NO MORE BOOMERS!


While there is ambiguity as to when the Baby Boom Generation began, both Biden and Sanders clearly belong to the one before, which is sometimes called the Silent Generation. If the Silent Generation is variously defined as 1925-28 to 1942-45, it has produced no presidents.


Hopefully, they've missed their chance.



_________________
It's time I had some time alone
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 2493



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/22/19 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both tulsi and Bernie have russian connections and each would not vote adainst the Assad crap and the lifting of sanctions on Russia.

I really would like a true patriot in the WH, one who is not bought by Russia, Saudi etc. I know it is a lot to ask but here's hoping.



_________________
"White privilege is unseen by white pompous asses"
Feelings, nothing more than feelings...
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 7112



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/27/19 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sources: Beto O'Rourke won't challenge John Cornyn for Senate, paving way for a presidential bid

Quote:
Since his close but historic loss to GOP Sen. Ted Cruz in November, O'Rourke has been weighing how to "best serve the country." His political options have been to run for president or against Cornyn.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 58141
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/01/19 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jay Inslee is in

https://www.jayinslee.com/



_________________
It's time I had some time alone
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14573
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/01/19 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Jay Inslee is in

https://www.jayinslee.com/


I don't know if he has much of a chance, but he is someone I was hoping would get in. A progressive governor with an effective record of leadership and executive administration is pretty much my ideal candidate.


CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17368
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/01/19 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Mayor Pete is doing an exploratory committee.


Ex-Ref wrote:
Mayor Pete is going to be on Cobert tonight.


jammerbirdi wrote:
But I say they're all weirdos. Tulsi is just a strange person kind of weird. Many of the others are the smiling face phony kind of weird. Even Bernie is a pretty weird dude with an imperfect past.


If people have not seen Mayor Pete Buttigieg in interviews, I strongly encourage you to do so.

Credentials (per FiveThirtyEight):
On paper, Buttigieg is impressive. The son of an immigrant father from Malta, Buttigieg graduated from Harvard, earned a Rhodes Scholarship, and worked as a consultant at McKinsey before moving back home to Indiana at age 29 to become the mayor of South Bend, making him the youngest mayor of a city with more than 100,000 people. While still serving his first term, Buttigieg took a seven-month leave of office to serve with the Naval Reserve in Afghanistan in 2015. Less than a year later, Buttigieg came out as gay. Buttigieg’s sexuality didn’t stop South Bend voters from re-electing him to a second term with more than 80 percent of the vote.

Interviews
Pete Buttigieg On Why He Wants To Face Off Against President Trump in 2020 |The View
https://youtu.be/PI6IbymfkX8

Mayor Pete Buttigieg on the experience he'd bring to the 2020 presidential campaign |CBS News
https://youtu.be/hPb9a37rVGc

Pete Buttigieg: The Case For A Younger President |The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
https://youtu.be/u7SHQSGesyM


jammerbirdi



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 19825



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/01/19 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, there you go. I like him. He reminds me of Tony Blair.



_________________
Falsehood will fly on the wings of the wind, and carry its tales to every corner of the earth; whilst truth lags behind; her steps slow and solemn, she has neither the vigour nor activity to overtake her enemy. - Thomas Francklin
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 50181



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/01/19 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d4dSJyL1PAI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Genero36



Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Posts: 9287



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/01/19 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="677" height="381" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-ba5UdU6JBc" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ba5UdU6JBc



_________________
I'm all for the separation of church and hate.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin