RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Democratic Presidential Primary Candidates 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/15/20 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Biden just committed to pick a woman VP.

Sanders said that he "in all likelyhood" would. He kind of stumbled over this. Like he didn't want to say it but felt like he had to because Biden did.

Don't think it'll be Abrams, but likely Kamala Harris. Warren's too old to possibly succeed Biden.

My guess is Harris or Klobuchar. Harris leans a little more progressive, which could help with that wing. Klobuchar, on the other hand, would guarantee Minnesota for him and likely Wisconsin as well. Might even get Iowa into play. Getting those Midwest states would be huge in the EC math.

I can't imagine a scenario where Harris isn't the first choice.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/15/20 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I’m going to say it again. Because I think this moment demonstrates how important it is, unfortunately, that the President of the United States be an incredibly prepared and competent person with deep experience at the federal level, that Joe Biden should pick Hillary Clinton as his running mate.

She won the popular vote four years ago. She will have more gravitas than anyone else in the race. And with Biden’s age we might desperately need someone who can step into that job who would bring the kind of knowledge and expertise and international stature that Hillary most certainly has. And no one else even comes close.

The political clown show on both sides must end.

And it would excite the female vote in this country unlike any other female choice. There is unfinished business with Hillary. She would command the loyalty of the Democratic Party establishment like no other candidate. She would be a formidable choice. If she would accept the role and I think she would.

PostPosted: 03/15/20 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Biden didn’t make any big gaffes or show mental feebleness as some were predicting so that should do it - he’s the nominee.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/15/20 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't like Harris for it, at all! To me, she'd be the epitome of the Peter Principle....being promoted beyond her qualifications. I think she's a terrific senator. Black + female is, in and of itself, insufficient qualification.

Klobuchar? N.O.

Hillary? You CAN'T be serious.... Shocked I can't see the (hugely important) voters that she ignored/disillusioned/alienated rallying back to give her a second shot.

PLEASE PICK a young woman of color with progressive leanings, who connects with The People. (Michelle!)

Last edited by Howee on 03/16/20 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/16/20 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watched the whole debate . . . painfully.

Sanders repeated his standard stump speech that everything's going to be free and that he'll spend untold trillions for medical care, changing the climate, and government payments for every economic problem that arises from the coronavirus epidemic. Biden stuck right with Bernie on the far left and matched all the promises. Neither provided any detail how the country can afford any of it.

Bernie was effective in pointing out several votes in Biden's career that are now left wing anathema -- pro-war, pro-life, pro-traditional marriage, pro-bailouts of big corporations. But Biden simply said he's now changed his mind on every single one of those issues and has exactly the same positions as Bernie. Bernie riposted that he's more of a courageous leader because he came the the correct left wing conclusions first, when they were still minority views.

Biden stayed with his strategy of claiming he was in charge of just about everything in the Obama administration. Biden concluded that more people should vote for him because more people vote for him. Fortunately for him, he only brain froze a few times in minor ways.
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/16/20 2:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Biden stayed with his strategy of claiming he was in charge of just about everything in the Obama administration. Biden concluded that more people should vote for him because more people vote for him. Fortunately for him, he only brain froze a few times in minor ways.

That’s because he wasn’t under any pressure.

PostPosted: 03/16/20 4:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

biden stumbled enough for me to be worried about him, though he's clearly not the devil incarnate we have now.

why, oh, why was sanders sounding like a broken record instead of demonstrating that he can lead the nation? does he have just one setting? his campaign manager should be fired. if his message were packaged differently, he'd be winning. unless he's just stubborn and can't help being a broken record.

i'm with howie. i don't understand why so many people are ready to make harris vice president. she's so not ready for prime time. (and i was a huge fan very early on.) maybe attorney general. klobuchar, um, no. that would be two deadbeats with no vitality to inspire americans and move the nation forward. and hillary, for god's sake, no. the timing for her has always been wrong. the timing is wrong for biden, too. he's just slip-sliding toward the presidency.

for the life of me, i still don't understand why it's not down to biden and warren.

PostPosted: 03/16/20 7:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gov. Murphy is expected to announce today that all schools in NJ will close for a minimum of 2 weeks. Some NJ schools have switched to online classes and will be closed until Easter/Spring break.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/16/20 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Don't like Harris for it, at all! To me, she'd be the epitome of the Peter Principle....being promoted beyond her qualifications. I think she's a terrific senator. Black + female is in and of itself insufficient.

Klobuchar? N.O.

Hillary? You CAN'T be serious.... Shocked I can't see the (hugely important) voters that she ignored/disillusioned/disappointed rallying back to give her a second shot. A young woman of color with progressive leanings, who connects with The People. (Michelle!)

Then who?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/16/20 8:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
biden stumbled enough for me to be worried about him, though he's clearly not the devil incarnate we have now.

why, oh, why was sanders sounding like a broken record instead of demonstrating that he can lead the nation? does he have just one setting? his campaign manager should be fired. if his message were packaged differently, he'd be winning. unless he's just stubborn and can't help being a broken record.

i'm with howie. i don't understand why so many people are ready to make harris vice president. she's so not ready for prime time. (and i was a huge fan very early on.) maybe attorney general. klobuchar, um, no. that would be two deadbeats with no vitality to inspire americans and move the nation forward. and hillary, for god's sake, no. the timing for her has always been wrong. the timing is wrong for biden, too. he's just slip-sliding toward the presidency.

for the life of me, i still don't understand why it's not down to biden and warren.

I thought the same thing. That's pretty much when I decided finally decided who I was going to vote for in the primary (if we get to have one!). I'm not doing backflips over either candidate, but I don't think that I can listen to Bernie for four years.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/16/20 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[Edit] NVM. I thought I had screwed up the above post but it is fixed now.

PostPosted: 03/16/20 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Howee wrote:
Don't like Harris for it, at all! To me, she'd be the epitome of the Peter Principle....being promoted beyond her qualifications. I think she's a terrific senator. Black + female is, in and of itself, insufficient qualification.

Klobuchar? N.O.

Hillary? You CAN'T be serious.... Shocked I can't see the (hugely important) voters that she ignored/disillusioned/alienated rallying back to give her a second shot.

PLEASE PICK a young woman of color with progressive leanings, who connects with The People. (Michelle!)

Then who?

MICHELLE! Really. Think about it: our country careens toward disaster, their kids are grown and gone....I do believe Michelle might consider such an appointment (maybe for 20 seconds??)

Seriously, I don't quite understand how Stacey Abrams might be overlooked; she doesn't have the political experience of some others, but her last battle in GA proved she's both formidable AND popular. And her experience with voter suppression automatically shines a spotlight on that concern for the general election.

More options: Veronica Escobar (TX-Rep.), Catherin Cortez Masto (NV-Sen), Val Demings (FL-Rep), or Jahana Hayes (CT-Rep.)

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Sanders repeated his standard stump speech that everything's going to be free and that he'll spend untold trillions for medical care, changing the climate, and government payments for every economic problem that arises from the coronavirus epidemic. Biden stuck right with Bernie on the far left and matched all the promises. Neither provided any detail how the country can afford any of it.

It must be a livin' HOOT to always see everything through Orange-colored glasses! Razz Laughing

PostPosted: 03/16/20 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What woman for vice president? The vice president may be John Kerry.

Bear with me, you feminists. This theory is from an opinion piece after Super Tuesday that I thought was not crazy.

Step 1: Biden leads in delegates going into the convention, but neither he nor Bernie has the majority needed to win on the first ballot.

Step 2: Keeping to his promise, Bernie drops out because Biden has the most delegates.

Step 3: Everyone in the Democratic establishent and even in Biden's family knows that he is not mentally fit to be president and has very little chance of beating Trump. So they all prevail on Joe to drop out, which he does citing family or health concerns.

Step 4: The convention is now wide open and all the delegates can vote for whomever they want. After surveying their sparse landscape for a Trump killer, they come up with their old favorites:

President: Hillary Clinton
VP: John Kerry

You, my fellow Rebkellians, can fill in whomever you want at Step 4.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/16/20 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Harris is no less experienced than Obama was.

Despite the russian bot propaganda, she's actually done a lot of good for a lot of people. Her time as AG of CA is beyond impressive.

She's my pick for a simple reason - Democrats win with a youthful charismatic choice.

Yes, she's VP..but this time, VP is actually important. We need energy and charisma on the ticket. We need an attack dog.

Generally, someone mentions Hillary Clinton and my response is YAS!! And I would like to see her involved in a Biden administration - in fact, a SC choice would be something. (And Obama there if he wants it...let's just make Republican heads explode).

The Hulu documentary on Clinton is outstanding, but made me realize a few things.

Number 1...as a Clinton supporter, I don't want her playing second fiddle to a dude. Especially a dude that she's more accomplished and smarter than. That chapter in Clinton's life needs to be over. She's a grandma now, let her be free. Laughing

Number 2...she is a trailblazer..a woman before her time. Why do I love Clinton so much? Because her and Oprah were the only examples of real power from a woman, that I had growing up. And because she was a face of this - it was always likely she was going to be the person to make space for women, crack some ceilings for women..but unlikely to be the one to breakthrough. As I've said repeatedly, given the actual facts - history will remember Clinton well. Our treatment of her - not so much.

Number 3...speaking of our treatment of her. Again, public approval of Clinton is finally just going up again. She runs for office, she'll be dragged through the mud again. She's the right's boogeyman. Hell, in the midst of the Corona virus Epidemic, Donald was STILL tweeting about her, republicans are still going after her emails? She forged a path for women, it's time others step up.

On another note, Sanders needs to drop now. He's all but mathematically eliminated. Primaries are just putting people at risk - and it's a vanity project for him. Let's not beat up our nominee from both sides again. We've already got several misleading videos about Biden from the Sanders camp. Enough already.

Last edited by mercfan3 on 03/16/20 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 03/16/20 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

On another note, Sanders needs to drop now. He's all but mathematically eliminated.

At one point it appeared Biden didn’t have a prayer, and then things changed on a dime. That can happen again. Bernie needs to hang in there until people realize that Biden is just about as stupid or mentally declining as the guy already in White House.

mercfan3 wrote:
Primaries are just putting people at risk

I have a sneaking suspicion you wouldn’t use this as a selling point if Bernie was leading.

mercfan3 wrote:
it's a vanity project for him.

Not sure how you can say this about the most selfless candidate out there, one that actually cares about his constituents more than his own self interest.

mercfan3 wrote:
Let's not beat up our nominee from both sides again. We've already got several misleading videos about Biden from the Sanders camp. Enough already.

Oh, like the creepy drunk uncle Biden video? Is that really all that misleading. This guy is naturally creepy. You say you don’t want any more boomers in the White House, which Harris is. I say no more creepers!
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KQ-YjGmpO4Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 03/16/20 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
sambista

PostPosted: 03/16/20 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

re harris, i'm not dissing her experience, or whatever she's done to this point to make her not unlike obama (whatever!). she doesn't have the comportment, the poise, the "it" factor, which obama had in abundance.

val demings . . . she has the "it" factor. just my opinion.

as for sanders, he's not exactly trailing in numbers the way the other candidates were. if only to keep faith with his faithful, i don't begrudge him hanging a bit longer. he's not hurting anyone/anything at this particular juncture. and his followers are not insignificant. he owes it to them to fight the good fight, until it's time to bow out. he'll do the right thing. i'm confident of that.

PostPosted: 03/16/20 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. A few weeks ago, Bernie Sanders didn't have an unsurmountable delegate lead. Biden does now.

This is math.

2. In an unsurmountable delegate lead, I absolutely would. I can't stand Sanders, and I don't hide it.

However, look at this freaking mess the Trump administration put us in. Ebolo and H1N1 didn't become a problem because the Obama Administration took preventative measures. These clueless assholes put their heads in their asses, and look where we are.

I know, as much as I dislike Sanders..he wouldn't put us in this situation. I also know he wouldn't lock children in cages whom are seeking asylum. He wouldn't load the courts with ass backwards judges that will delay progress in society for the next 100 years. He wouldn't give significant tax breaks to billionaires. He wouldn't incite racism.

So yes, if his lead was insurmountable, my feeling would be that we need to call the primary and worry about the general, so that Sanders isn't being hit from both sides of the aisle.

And all of that which I posted is true of Biden. Joe is not even close to a top choice of mine. I preferred Harris, Booker, Castro, Gillibrand, Beto, Liz, Clinton or Michelle Obama had they run, and Pete over him. Amy is a tossup. The only person I preferred him over was Bernie, but this is really really really not what I wanted. Laughing

But still, we need a sense of competency and normalcy. We don't need a progressive person attacking our candidate (AGAIN). Especially with misleading statements.

3. I'm talking about the recent viral video that the Sanders campaign put out about Joe Biden and social security. It is misleading as hell, but it'll create hostility towards the idea of voting for Biden - which we're all going to have to plug our noses and do.

Again, look at the state of our country.

4. I don't like the creepy Uncle Joe stuff either. Again, this man is not anywhere close to my top choice.

However, we are talking about the same person who was instrumental and getting the VAWA passed. Many DV shelters wouldn't be functioning right now, without it.

Again, we have a mixed bag with Biden. But don't pretend he's all crappy.

And now, I"ll say what I said to a good friend - stop making me defend Joe Biden.

PostPosted: 03/16/20 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are all primaries still happening tomorrow? There's Florida, Arizona, Illinois & Ohio I believe.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/16/20 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Are all primaries still happening tomorrow? There's Florida, Arizona, Illinois & Ohio I believe.

I think Ohio is is trying to postpone theirs.

Well, a judge shot the idea down, but they are going to go with a public health emergency to keep them closed.

Quote:
Earlier, an Ohio judge rejected a request to postpone the state’s primary scheduled for Tuesday.

Judge Richard Frye ruled against the motion Monday night because he didn’t want to rewrite the law, The Columbus Disptach reported.

Quote:
“During this time when we face an unprecedented public health crisis, to conduct an election tomorrow would would force poll workers and voters to place themselves at a unacceptable health risk of contracting coronavirus. As such, Health Director Dr. Amy Acton will order the polls closed as a health emergency. While the polls will be closed tomorrow, Secretary of State Frank LaRose will seek a remedy through the courts to extend voting options so that every voter who wants to vote will be granted that opportunity.”

Shades

PostPosted: 03/17/20 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fAvFv3hi8KY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
sambista

PostPosted: 03/17/20 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fAvFv3hi8KY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

of all the sad news and developments i've absorbed today, that beats all.

PostPosted: 03/17/20 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i don’t think Biden gave his “cognitive decline” critics a bit of ammunition during a 2 hour two person debate.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/17/20 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
Shades wrote:

of all the sad news and developments i've absorbed today, that beats all.

Joe Biden is known for gaffes. These are a bunch of clips put together to make him look worse.

He does talk in a bit of a word salad way, but I read an article that explained that a lot of it is Biden trying to avoid stuttering. When people with a severe stutter learn to cope - it takes a lot of mental ability to avoid it.

His word salad tendencies have more to do with his mind trying to "take the easy way out" with his stutter, than actual deterioration. (Which is a sign of aging - and I don't think two 80 year olds should be running for President, but here we are...)

PostPosted: 03/17/20 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the AP projections, Sanders netted-108 delegates over Biden out of his wins in IA, NH, NV, CA, CO, UT, ND, VT<br>Nearly all of that will be canceled out by Biden's victory in Florida, alone(@Nate_Cohn)

#TimeToExit

PostPosted: 03/17/20 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohio has postponed, likely until June. Biden is projected to win Florida. it's looking like Biden will win Illinois. Too early for Arizona.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 39 of 43

Jump to: