RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Democratic Presidential Primary Candidates 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/13/19 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
They really need to quit calling this plan Medicare For All. Medicare has premiums, copays, deductibles, lots of doctors who don't accept it, and tons of things it doesn't cover. Calling it Medicare For All makes people think they're going to be forced into a bad plan.

dumb ones, yeah.

and we were reminded in 2016 that there are millions and millions of them.

When you put a misleading label on your plan, you can't really be surprised when people misunderstand what it is.

PostPosted: 09/13/19 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
You don't think Yang can make inroads on the black vote?

No. Mayor Pete doesn’t have a shot either.

He’s actually just taking a chunk of Bernie’s Voters. I don’t expect him to be around much longer, he looked out of place last night and sounded gimmicky.

I doubt his “oh no, I failed at creating a business so I had to be a lawyer” story played well.

PostPosted: 09/13/19 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

He’s actually just taking a chunk of Bernie’s Voters. I don’t expect him to be around much longer, he looked out of place last night and sounded gimmicky.

I doubt his “oh no, I failed at creating a business so I had to be a lawyer” story played well.

Booker and Castro don't seem to have anything. Their poll numbers are the same as they were on June 1st despite Biden dropping almost 10 points in that span. Only Warren and Yang have gained ground since then. Harris got a bump from the first debate, but it's vanished. Her 6.5 RCP average is lower than the 7.5 she had at the beginning of June.

PostPosted: 09/13/19 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Booker and Castro don't seem to have anything. Their poll numbers are the same as they were on June 1st despite Biden dropping almost 10 points in that span. Only Warren and Yang have gained ground since then. Harris got a bump from the first debate, but it's vanished. Her 6.5 RCP average is lower than the 7.5 she had at the beginning of June.

There is clearly a gap right now between the top three in the bottom, but it’s september. It’s a gap between the well known and the not so well
Known.

Like Booker, Yang seems to fall between 1 and 5 percent, I just doubt he has the potential to grow as much as Booker does.

Regardless, yang fits into the “flat policy for economic justice” category, (Sanders/Warren) which has been black voters are clearly rejecting.

To be honest, I doubt Castro’s popularity will grow (although he was smart enough to get himself some name recognition this time around), but there is some potential there.

PostPosted: 09/13/19 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Edit.

PostPosted: 09/14/19 6:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/qiasBmnE2Z0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 09/14/19 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Blue no matter who, but I hope it's not another geriatric white guy, especially Biden.

PostPosted: 09/17/19 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Harris is only at 6% in her home state of California, behind Yang.

https://emersonpolling.reportablenews.com/pr/california-2020-biden-sanders-warren-in-statistical-tie-in-democratic-primary-harris-struggles-in-home-state
toad455

PostPosted: 09/17/19 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Harris is only at 6% in her home state of California, behind Yang.

https://emersonpolling.reportablenews.com/pr/california-2020-biden-sanders-warren-in-statistical-tie-in-democratic-primary-harris-struggles-in-home-state

it's really going to come down to the three oldest candidates. Yang seems to be more or less campaigning to be someone's VP now. Mayor Pete should do the same.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 09/20/19 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

De Blasio drops out

PostPosted: 09/20/19 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
De Blasio drops out

PostPosted: 09/20/19 9:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
De Blasio drops out

https://mobile.twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/1175044903312744448

PostPosted: 09/20/19 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
De Blasio drops out

Typical voter reaction to this news

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L1QAcv2GSwA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 09/20/19 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
pilight wrote:
De Blasio drops out

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/L1QAcv2GSwA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As Winston Churchill supposedly said, “The best argument against Democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”
pilight

PostPosted: 09/20/19 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:
pilight wrote:
De Blasio drops out

As Winston Churchill supposedly said, “The best argument against Democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”

He also said, "Democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

PostPosted: 09/20/19 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
De Blasio drops out

Anyway, can we get Pelosi to drop out as Speaker?

Last edited by Shades on 09/21/19 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/20/19 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Democracy would be much more effective if all voters and candidates for office had to meet all the following qualifications: be at least 35 years of age; have a 12th grade education certificate; have owned or rented land for which property taxes or rents have been paid for at least five years; and have paid national income taxes for at least 10 years."
Shades

PostPosted: 09/20/19 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
"Democracy would be much more effective if all voters and candidates for office had to meet all the following qualifications: be at least 35 years of age; have a 12th grade education certificate; have owned or rented land for which property taxes or rents have been paid for at least five years; and have paid national income taxes for at least 10 years."

How does voter suppression make democracy more effective?

Howee

PostPosted: 09/20/19 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

How does voter suppression make democracy more effective?

EASY! Voter suppression makes democracy far more effective [read: lucrative] for the entitled elite to grow their stronghold over the serfs who obviously should have increasingly less and less voice in self-governance, and just do as they're told. And why should anyone need to vote before 35? You're welcome to die in a war for your country, save lives as a doctor, teach children or get shot at as a police officer at the immature age of 29, but why should you ever vote? Let the 70-somethings decide we don't need an environmental protection plan, or determine that assault rifles are just fine in the hands of the general public.

What don't you get about that, Shades?? Laughing

PostPosted: 09/21/19 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Booker is apparently close to dropping out also

PostPosted: 09/21/19 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Warren passes Biden, takes the lead in prized Iowa poll

Quote:
DES MOINES — Sen. Elizabeth Warren surged to first place in a respected poll of likely Iowa caucus-goers released on Saturday.

The poll is the first from the Des Moines Register, together with CNN and Mediacom, to put the two-term Massachusetts Democrat in the lead, at 22 percent. Former vice president Joe Biden, who led the Register’s June poll, fell by 3 percentage points to a close 20 percent, putting the two in a statistical tie, far in front of the rest of the field. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) slipped 5 percentage points to a distant third, at 11 percent.

The September survey is the first by the Register in the 2020 cycle not to put Biden in the lead in the first-in-the-nation contest, which will take place in February. The closely watched results arrive as Warren builds momentum with immense crowds, including 20,000 in Manhattan earlier this week.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/09/22/warren-passes-biden-takes-lead-prized-iowa-poll/

PostPosted: 09/22/19 6:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

So many wonderful candidates of color struggling. Hmmm.

PostPosted: 09/22/19 7:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
Warren passes Biden, takes the lead in prized Iowa poll

Quote:
DES MOINES — Sen. Elizabeth Warren surged to first place in a respected poll of likely Iowa caucus-goers released on Saturday.

The poll is the first from the Des Moines Register, together with CNN and Mediacom, to put the two-term Massachusetts Democrat in the lead, at 22 percent. Former vice president Joe Biden, who led the Register’s June poll, fell by 3 percentage points to a close 20 percent, putting the two in a statistical tie, far in front of the rest of the field. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) slipped 5 percentage points to a distant third, at 11 percent.

The September survey is the first by the Register in the 2020 cycle not to put Biden in the lead in the first-in-the-nation contest, which will take place in February. The closely watched results arrive as Warren builds momentum with immense crowds, including 20,000 in Manhattan earlier this week.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/09/22/warren-passes-biden-takes-lead-prized-iowa-poll/

Geez, there may be hope after all.

justintyme

PostPosted: 09/22/19 8:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

The things that the Bernie Bros are saying about Warren now that she is pushing ahead...

There is also this weird "electability" form of racism that the Democrats--even people of color themselves--are guilty of. There is generalization that because others may be racist old white dudes are more electable than candidates of color. But the hard and fast truth supported by tons of empirical data says this is simply not true. There is not even a correlation in the "electability" numbers between race or gender and chances of winning. So anyone not voting for their top candidate and voting based upon the electability of a white person, is buying into an untrue racist stereotype.

PostPosted: 09/22/19 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

The things that the Bernie Bros are saying about Warren now that she is pushing ahead...

There is also this weird "electability" form of racism that the Democrats--even people of color themselves--are guilty of. There is generalization that because others may be racist old white dudes are more electable than candidates of color. But the hard and fast truth supported by tons of empirical data says this is simply not true. There is not even a correlation in the "electability" numbers between race or gender and chances of winning. So anyone not voting for their top candidate and voting based upon the electability of a white person, is buying into an untrue racist stereotype.

i agree, but it doesn't even have to be about color. bernie didn't fare well last time around because so many people who wanted to support him had decided (his fate by saying) he couldn't win. let's not do that this time around, which is my fear about warren. i'm not 100 percent in her camp (yet), but i worry people will make the same mistake again.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 20 of 43

Jump to: