RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Democratic Presidential Primary Candidates 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/31/19 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Sanders needs to go away. I don't understand why he thinks he can win when he couldn't beat Clinton the first time around.

His primary contest with Hillary was *rigged*....ask Donald, cuz HE rigged it, knowing he'd never beat Bernie.

Frankly, I also LOVE Bernie. I can't think of one other candidate out there that has the combo of that Homespun Grampa thing going on, along with his well-thought ideas and plans. He doesn't waver or flip-flop, and I can't ever imagine anyone finding *dirt* on him.

What Donald are you talking about? Presumably someone by that name in the Wasserman Schultz/Donna Brazile DNC.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/31/19 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tulsi scores big on Kamala, who ducks and deflects but can't deny.

<iframe src="http://cdn.jwplayer.com/players/KEUstQgI-EAYoNgFe.html" width="320" height="260" frameborder="0" scrolling="auto"></iframe>
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 07/31/19 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista

PostPosted: 08/01/19 4:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i don't care what the polls say (and really, guys, have we learned nothing since the last election?!), biden has missed his time. just as hillary clinton did. he's not aging nearly as well as bernie, his mind's slipping a bit, and it's painful to watch. that's actually not a diss on a person i respect, just a sad reality. we need someone at the top of his/her game to undo all the damage tripe has done and solve all our urgent challenges, of which there are many.

i so want to believe in kamala, but whoever said it is right: when she doesn't have her prepped material, she doesn't look as strong. ditto bernie, who has simply worn us out with his ranting disposition, as if he has only one mode. booker and castro - just lacking that indescribable element of gravitas you'd want (i'd want) in a president.

inslee and gabbard were impressive, but probably too little, too late. i'd keep my eye on gabbard, though, whose thoughtful words, even demeanor and military service might make her a fresh, surprise vp choice.

and thank you, gillibrand, for the best line of the night. since i was (still) watching at 3 in the morning, the "clorox the oval office" propped me up.

PostPosted: 08/01/19 4:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rsWQiE4N648" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 08/01/19 6:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's #BlueNoMatterWho in order to maintain the democracy.

I'm more interested in when we're going to #MarchOnDC by the millions.

PostPosted: 08/01/19 6:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Anyone catch Michael Moore on MSNBC just now?

A nice debunk of the "middle america white guy vote the Dems need to win the WH" myth.

save us some time, baby....link?

and you're lazy too?

https://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/watch/michael-moore-talks-about-how-to-defeat-trump-and-counsels-against-being-moderate-65028677867

PostPosted: 08/01/19 7:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WINNERS

*Cory Booker: The New Jersey senator had a very good debate. Aside from his dumb derision directed at so-called "Republican talking points" (more on that later), Booker was a happy warrior -- balancing attacks (primarily against former Vice President Joe Biden) with an optimistic demeanor. Booker spoke powerfully about criminal justice reform and immigration. And he made a very good point when he noted that Biden was trying to have it both ways when it came to former President Barack Obama -- taking credit when it works for him and distancing himself from the Obama legacy when that is more politically convenient. Booker has considerable natural gifts as a candidate -- and they shone through on Wednesday night.

Julián Castro: Two times is a trend. And it's been two straight debates where the former San Antonio mayor has stood out -- in a good way. He probably had the line of the night, hitting back on Biden with this hammer: "It looks like one of us has learned the lessons of the past and one of us hasn't." Castro was forceful and effective on immigration and really stuck it to New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio on how to handle the officer who choked Eric Garner. The challenge for Castro now is to qualify for the September and October debates, which could be a heavy lift given his polling thus far. If Castro can make these next two debates, he could really make noise in the race.

*Joe Biden: Boy, was this a tough call. I went back and forth on Biden's performance throughout the two hours. On the one hand, Biden was WAY more active, energetic and forceful in this debate than in the first debate in Miami. But that alone doesn't make him a winner. The truth is that this was a deeply uneven debate for the former vice president. He was, in places, quite strong -- particularly when he was going after Sen. Kamala Harris (California) and Booker (New Jersey). But Biden was much less confident when he was under attack -- especially, again, when the topic turned to race and criminal justice reform, though as the frontrunner, he did withstand fire through the entire debate. Biden also struggled in several answers to spit out the right words at the right time. And he continued to stop himself in mid-thought and immediately stop talking when his time ran out. Add it all up and I believe that Biden wound up doing *just* enough to quiet -- if not silence -- questions about whether he is up to the job. That, plus Harris' struggles, get the former vice president into the "win" column. Barely.

LOSERS

*Kamala Harris: The California senator learned on Wednesday night how much harder it is to be the target rather than the targeter. From the start, Biden came at Harris on her record as California attorney general. But so did Gillibrand and Sen. Michael Bennet (Colorado). And boy oh boy, did Gabbard come after her -- dropping the opposition research book on Harris on her record in California. Harris at times effectively parried those attacks, but she didn't do it enough. On health care and criminal justice reform, she struggled to defend repeated attacks on her record; she wound up simply saying that everything everyone else on stage wasn't telling the truth about her record. Really, everyone? Harris didn't perform badly; she simply didn't live up to the high expectations that she set for herself in the first debate.

*Barack Obama: Aside from Biden, there weren't a lot of defenders on the stage of the eight years the last Democratic president spent in the White House. That was obviously a conscious choice to attempt to rob Biden of taking credit for the accomplishments of the Obama administration. But take a step back: Obama remains hugely popular among base Democratic voters. It struck me as a very strange that no one on stage not named "Joe Biden" said something like this: "Look, I love Barack Obama and admire what he did in the White House. But Joe Biden isn't Barack Obama." Or something like that. (Castro, it's worth noting, did praise Obama's handling of the economy -- and got cheered by the crowd!)

*Kirsten Gillibrand: The New York senator needed a moment. And she might have had one with her opposition research hit on a Biden op-ed in which he expressed concern about the deterioration of the family if a woman was working outside the home. But she telegraphed it six days ago! And so Biden was completely and totally ready for it -- and gave a solid answer, citing his own personal experiences as a single dad and noting that both his deceased wife and his current wife had and have always worked outside the home. I'll never understand why Gillibrand told Biden what she was going to hit him with days in advance. Giant missed opportunity for a candidate who can't afford one.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/31/politics/who-won-democratic-debate--who-won-democratic-debate-night-2/index.html

PostPosted: 08/01/19 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It would be crazy to call Biden a winner in this debate. He seemed old and out of touch, especially in his closing statement when he clearly didn't understand how texting works.

PostPosted: 08/01/19 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t5YarBjEl0I" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5YarBjEl0I

PostPosted: 08/01/19 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WINNERS

Julián Castro
Analysis: Presented a strong case for attendance in the next debate with measured and thoughtful answers to complex issues — including on Eric Garner and President Trump’s racist tweets. He started to lay a foundation as to why he deserves to be in the conversation. It could be enough to catapult him into the conversation as a top-tier candidate.

Cory Booker
Analysis: He had a strong night on almost all issues and had quite a few moments that resonated with the audience. He even got in a few jabs on Biden and retweetable moments — especially his “Kool-Aid” exchange with the former vice president on Biden’s controversial 1990s crime bill.

LOSERS

Bill de Blasio
Analysis: Consistently tried to insert himself into debates and goad Biden into a fight — and was ignored. There’s nothing worse than that in a debate. Even the moderators swatted him away at times. His answers on Eric Garner and lead poisoning were insufficient. Who would be interested in his campaign beyond those doing business with New York City?

Michael Bennet
Analysis: He did not have any standout moments nor did he present any unique ideas. Who is his audience and who would be interested in seeing his campaign go further?

Tulsi Gabbard
Analysis: Anyone who needs to look at notes when speaking about the crisis on the border is problematic. She had Harris in her crosshairs and was successful in landing a punch on the former prosecutor’s record. Beyond that, she did not contribute much beyond talking points. Even as a military veteran, she did not have a strong grasp of foreign policy and I’m not sure if she makes the next debate.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/01/democratic-debate-2019-unexpected-winners-and-a-clear-cut-loser/

PostPosted: 08/01/19 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
It would be crazy to call Biden a winner in this debate. He seemed old and out of touch, especially in his closing statement when he clearly didn't understand how texting works.

Fox News loved him. Laughing

The former vice president delivered his message compellingly and convincingly. Even during his less strong moments, Biden remained the focal point of the conversation, speaking for over 21 minutes – more than any other candidate on stage.

On health care, in particular, Biden displaying his in-depth policy knowledge while also rebutting repeated attacks from Harris. Biden gave a strong defense of his pragmatic plan to strengthen ObamaCare, while the confusion and lack of clarity around Harris’ plan hindered her position.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/doug-schoen-democratic-debate-detroit-joe-biden-kamala-harris-gabbard-inslee

PostPosted: 08/01/19 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SSHhIW_Py1E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSHhIW_Py1E

PostPosted: 08/01/19 8:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:

Tulsi Gabbard
Analysis: Anyone who needs to look at notes when speaking about the crisis on the border is problematic.

I thought using empathy notes is seen as a very presidential quality.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 08/01/19 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's why Gabbard is the Russian bot flavor of the day:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1111386620698083329

She's also an apologist for Assad.

No wonder Republicans like her.

PostPosted: 08/01/19 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here are the most recent results of the four instant polls for what they're worth.

Drudge: Gabbard (43), Yang (23), Biden (13), De Blasio (4), Bennett (3)

Wash Examiner: Yang (52), Gabbard (29), Biden (7), Booker (4), Harris (3)

Heavy.com: Yang (44), Gabbard (18), Biden (10), Gillibrand (5), Castro (4)

NJ.com: Yang (38), Gabbard (24), Biden (18), Booker (8), Harris (4)

For reasons based on nothing except it's a local newspaper in a liberal Democrat state, I always thought that NJ.com might be the poll least susceptible to manipulation. I noticed that all but Drudge blocked me from voting more than once.

Talking heads on CNN opined that Biden, as the big front runner, wins if he just treads water, which he did even if he was uneven and garble-mouthed at times. The majority ethos among the CNN heads, it seemed to me, is that they are mostly in the tank for Warren.
pilight

PostPosted: 08/01/19 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like the Dems are locked in to nominating one of the geezers, which all but guarantees another four years of Trump.

PostPosted: 08/01/19 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Looks like the Dems are locked in to nominating one of the geezers, which all but guarantees another four years of Trump.

Maybe, but it's WAY early. The CNN number crunch guy said that Biden gets his support from Democrat older folks, working class and blacks (even over Booker and Harris) -- which comprise, according to him, the traditional Democrat base. Warren gets college educated whites, and Sanders gets a lot of young people who don't vote in primaries.

My own sense is that Lunch Pail Joe would be the geezer with the strongest appeal against geezer Trump in Pennsylvania and the crucial upper Midwest states, which were supposed to be Hillary's blue wall -- unless he completely deteriorates into old age symptoms while Trump retains vigor.
toad455

PostPosted: 08/01/19 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obama has yet to back Biden, which I'm sure if Biden gets the nomination, he'll back his former VP. That will help Biden a lot and help swing a lot of independents towards Biden.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
PUmatty

PostPosted: 08/01/19 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Obama has yet to back Biden, which I'm sure if Biden gets the nomination, he'll back his former VP. That will help Biden a lot and help swing a lot of independents towards Biden.

Obama will campaign with whoever wins the nomination. Not just Biden.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/01/19 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Here's why Gabbard is the Russian bot flavor of the day:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1111386620698083329

She's also an apologist for Assad.

No wonder Republicans like her.

I’m sure they like her past support of conversion therapy too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/splinternews.com/tulsi-gabbards-homophobic-past-is-coming-back-to-haunt-1831722271/amp

PostPosted: 08/01/19 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I like a lot of what Gabbard says, but she's said and done some really stupid stuff also.

PostPosted: 08/01/19 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I like a lot of what Gabbard says, but she's said and done some really stupid stuff also.

Yes. She is a lot like Marianne Williamson in that regard. The stupid stuff is downright disqualifying, but her presence does bring up some important subjects that do need airtime.

PostPosted: 08/03/19 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Post-debate Morning Consult Dem WH poll (conducted 8/1)

Biden 32%
Sanders 18%
Warren 15%
Harris 10%
Buttigieg 6%
Booker 3%
O'Rourke 3%
Yang 2%

Harris down.
toad455

PostPosted: 08/03/19 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Post-debate Morning Consult Dem WH poll (conducted 8/1)

Biden 32%
Sanders 18%
Warren 15%
Harris 10%
Buttigieg 6%
Booker 3%

O'Rourke 3%
Yang 2%

Harris down.

Can we please get the field down to these 6 already.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 17 of 43

Jump to: