View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/29/19 3:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Randy wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
toad455 wrote:
miller40 wrote:
For a coach who claims to be defensive minded, Brondello’s teams are both pretty miserable as it.

I have to wonder if Australia is even worthy of contending for a bronze in the 2020 Olympics?

Cambage Opals and non-Cambage Opals are two very different teams. We did win silver at the world cup just 12 months ago.

What if Cambage demands to be traded to another country's national team?

There's only one other place she can go, and it would make Richyyy very happy. Wink

FIBA may have relaxed their rules on switching countries a little over the years, but unless Australia are about to have a civil war and devolve into separate states I doubt they're going to let Big Lizzie switch allegiances any time soon.

But if they did, yeah, we could probably find room. Wink

PostPosted: 09/29/19 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
toad455 wrote:
miller40 wrote:
For a coach who claims to be defensive minded, Brondello’s teams are both pretty miserable as it.

I have to wonder if Australia is even worthy of contending for a bronze in the 2020 Olympics?

Cambage Opals and non-Cambage Opals are two very different teams. We did win silver at the world cup just 12 months ago.

If everyone is healthy, who is your preference for the naturalized player?

root_thing wrote:
Randy wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
toad455 wrote:
miller40 wrote:

What if Cambage demands to be traded to another country's national team?

There's only one other place she can go, and it would make Richyyy very happy. Wink

I suppose she could technically have played for Nigeria too (as Magbegor could have as well). Trade for Akhator?
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/29/19 9:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
toad455 wrote:

If everyone is healthy, who is your preference for the naturalized player?

It still annoys me that Mitchell needs to be classified as naturalised, but anyway I still lean slightly in her direction as the player who helps us the most when we're at full strength.
The thing is, all 3 candidates - Mitchell, Whitcomb & Griffin - are automatic starters at their respective positions. In terms of team need, and how much better they are than the next best player at their respective positions, there are valid arguments for all 3 of them.
I think point guard being such an important role is what gives Leilani the edge. She reads the floor better than our alternatives, is poised, and is also a reliable scorer.

For the Asia Cup, with Cambage being out (as well as Tolo, Smith and Bunton), Griffin might have been the better pick but I don't know that she's healthy either atm.
Anyway the much bigger concern is the (lack of) depth of local players ready to step up to international level. There's going to be some turnover after Tokyo and right now I'm not loving the pool of replacements.

PostPosted: 10/27/19 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Opals team for the Olympic qualifying tournament (Nov 14-17 in Malaysia)

Leilani Mitchell - Southside Flyers
Tess Lavey - Bendigo Spirit
Katie-Rae Ebzery - Perth Lynx
Tess Madgen - JCU Townsville Fire
Rebecca Allen - Arka Gdynia Poland / New York Liberty
Steph Talbot - Adelaide Lightning/Minnesota Lynx
Jenna O’Hea - Southside Flyers
Darcee Garbin - JCU Townsville Fire
Ezi Magbegor - Deakin University Melbourne Boomers
Cayla George - Deakin University Melbourne Boomers
Marianna Tolo - University of Canberra Capitals
Elizabeth Cambage - China / Las Vegas Aces

PostPosted: 10/28/19 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

9 out of 12 from the 2018 World Cup team. The changes are Tolo replaces Bunton, Garbin replaces Alanna Smith, and Mitchell reclaims her spot from Whitcomb after withdrawing due to injury last year.

PostPosted: 10/28/19 1:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Technically the original Opals 12 for 2018 also had Mansfield at PG. She was replaced at the last minute by Lavey due to injury. But it's no real surprise that Lavey has "kept" her spot. She's a steady backup option. Which I think is why she is in the team now in place of Nicole Seekamp (who was in the team in the recent Asia Cup, but is not as quick a defender, and not as careful with the ball as Lavey). I wonder if that tweak has been made specifically with Japan in mind.

PostPosted: 10/28/19 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Technically the original Opals 12 for 2018 also had Mansfield at PG. She was replaced at the last minute by Lavey due to injury. But it's no real surprise that Lavey has "kept" her spot. She's a steady backup option. Which I think is why she is in the team now in place of Nicole Seekamp (who was in the team in the recent Asia Cup, but is not as quick a defender, and not as careful with the ball as Lavey). I wonder if that tweak has been made specifically with Japan in mind.

Interesting point. I was thinking a big PG like Seekamp might be better against Team USA, especially if you have to match-up against Chelsea Gray. But after the last tournament, I can see why Australia would also be concerned with Japan.

At this point, I think Nicholson is a better player than Magden. I guess Sandy is more comfortable with Tess' experience and leadership. I also remember someone (maybe you?) saying that Nicholson prefers the 3x3 team.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: