RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium Becomes Sensory Inclusive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/17/19 11:48 am    ::: Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium Becomes Sensory Inclusive Reply Reply with quote

Cameron Indoor Stadium Becomes Sensory Inclusive | Duke Today
Guests with autism, post-traumatic stress disorder and similar conditions will have special tools and a sensory room

“Being at an event can be overloading to individuals with sensory issues,” said Leigh Fickling, director of Disability Management. “We recognize that guests may have different needs. We’re going to provide the tools to help people have the best possible experience.”

Sensory bags with noise-canceling headphones, fidget tools, verbal cue cards and weighted lap pads will be available starting this week in Cameron Indoor Stadium for individuals who may feel overwhelmed. Visitors will also have use of a dedicated sensory room that is designed to provide a quieter and more secure environment.

https://today.duke.edu/2019/12/cameron-indoor-stadium-becomes-sensory-inclusive

Howee

PostPosted: 12/17/19 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully, that's NOT addressing a need created by JP's influence at the place! Laughing

Kidding aside, that's very forward thinking....I can easily see how people thusly affected could find events to be 'scary'.

PostPosted: 12/19/19 1:27 pm    ::: Re: Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium Becomes Sensory Inclusive Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Sensory bags with noise-canceling headphones, fidget tools, verbal cue cards and weighted lap pads will be available starting this week in Cameron Indoor Stadium for individuals who may feel overwhelmed. Visitors will also have use of a dedicated sensory room that is designed to provide a quieter and more secure environment.

I recall when the first technology of this type for watching sports came out in the late 1940's. It was called television.
pilight

PostPosted: 12/19/19 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's nice, but I wonder how often it will be used. I wouldn't think someone with sensory issues that severe would enjoy the live game experience enough to make attending worthwhile.

PostPosted: 12/19/19 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
That's nice, but I wonder how often it will be used. I wouldn't think someone with sensory issues that severe would enjoy the live game experience enough to make attending worthwhile.

Not likely it will work for all, but there may well be people on the spectrum for whom it can make a difference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: