RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#2 Louisville at #1 Notre Dame - 1/10/19 7 ET ESPN
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who wins?
Louisville
23%
 23%  [ 5 ]
Notre Dame
76%
 76%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 21

PRballer

PostPosted: 01/10/19 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Feurhing getting knocked around a lot tonight

linkster

PostPosted: 01/10/19 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She may be a thug but that Arike is some clutch shooter,

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/10/19 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Turner looks like a completely different player than i saw against UCONN. Playing very confident on the offensive end!

PostPosted: 01/10/19 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well L'ville gave 'em a run for it.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 01/10/19 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arike is just an excellent player. Solid future ahead for her.

Arike > Durr?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
linkster

PostPosted: 01/10/19 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Turner gets the flop of the night award. If she goes down that easy, a hand lightly placed on her hip, then she won't last a week in the W

bballgrl

PostPosted: 01/10/19 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just turned away from this game. Not a fan of either team but it was a good game while it lasted. Lots of bad calls on both sides.

Brinx

PostPosted: 01/10/19 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why are they still fouling? ND is going to win by 20 if they keep this up

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/10/19 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It always cracks me up with Mabrey shoots. She has perfected the act that she was fouled, even if nobody is within 10'.

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/10/19 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brinx wrote:
Why are they still fouling? ND is going to win by 20 if they keep this up

Because that's Jeff Walz. As is the timeout with 10 seconds left down 12.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 01/10/19 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Arike > Durr?

I was wondering the same thing. During the game, it looked like:

1st half: Durr>Arike
2nd half: Arike>Durr

Durr does a really good job of getting to her spots and taking pretty good shots and while Arike didn't seem to wake up until the 2nd half, she helped her team in other ways. I think that was actually the player of the year argument last year. Someone mentioned that Arike has more help which is true . For me, it's hard to say who is actually better because it can be hard to tell if the defenses are limiting them or choosing to let them get theirs while limiting her teammates. Does anyone have a sense of who is the smarter, more skilled bball player?

linkster

PostPosted: 01/10/19 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Arike > Durr?

Durr does a really good job of getting to her spots and taking pretty good shots and while Arike didn't seem to wake up until the 2nd half, she helped her team in other ways. I think that was actually the player of the year argument last year. Someone mentioned that Arike has more help which is true . For me, it's hard to say who is actually better because it can be hard to tell if the defenses are limiting them or choosing to let them get theirs while limiting her teammates. Does anyone have a sense of who is the smarter, more skilled bball player?

I haven't seen enough of Durr. AO is a superb offensive player. On defense I'd say mediocre at best.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/10/19 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I find it amusing that fans look at the mere number of fouls called on each team and free throws taken and think that if It's not equal for both it means there was bad officiating.

It's a longstanding purposeful strategy of Walz to foul the shit out of the other team when he thinks he's otherwise overmatched. One need look no further than the biggest win of his coaching career over the Fighting Brittney Griners in the 2013 Tournament.

Some teams foul more than others because they're coached to play that way. It's not surprising. The foul disparity in this game was totally predictable.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/11/19 12:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I don't think Louisville can come close to matching up. And Arike has way more support than Asia does.

regardless of outcome, my level of respect for L'ville has just shot up. It's actually the first game of theirs I've watched this year and they're much better than I thought.

Exact same for me--Walz should never be 'counted out', obviously, but he certainly had his team about as ready as they could be. Kudos to both teams for a well-played exhibition that was well-worth the price of admission (or my cable bill, as it were)

Of ND's second-tier players, I really liked Vaughn....great future! As for L-ville's supporting cast around Durr, I was BIGLY impressed with a well-coached group of ballers.

Only suggestion: Jeff needs to get PeeWee Herman off his bench. Razz

PostPosted: 01/11/19 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Arike > Durr?

It’s a great question and I’m not positive but to me in terms of WNBA viability Durr has the composure and body type (more lean) to be successful at the next level.

Arike has more veteran experience and scoring around her and may have a slight edge right now in the college game but if I’m a GM and both are available I’m taking Durr.

By an inch.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/11/19 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Arike > Durr?

It’s a great question and I’m not positive but to me in terms of WNBA viability Durr has the composure and body type (more lean) to be successful at the next level.

Arike has more veteran experience and scoring around her and may have a slight edge right now in the college game but if I’m a GM and both are available I’m taking Durr.

By an inch.

Why do you think "more lean" is an advantage? It's not like Ogunbowale is fat and slow. Indeed I haven't seen anyone faster than her in getting down the court with the ball. She's stronger than Durr and consequently better inside ten feet which is probably the most significant area where one has an advantage over the other. That advantage may be even more pronounced at the next level.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 01/11/19 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 01/11/19 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Arike > Durr?

By an inch.

Yep, I was pretty much thinking the same way....but only by half an inch! Laughing

The thing that sometimes throws me about Arike is that she may be quiet for a bit and take questionable shots. Both are confident and maybe cocky (which is expected) but Durr seems more composed. Perhaps because Arike is on a stronger squad, she has a bit more "freedom" and Louisville relies heavily on Durr for scoring so she has to remain focused.

That said, I love the toughness of both players and both teams. It will be interesting to see how they look as the season progresses.

taropatch

PostPosted: 01/12/19 6:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming UConn and Baylor win through Sunday (however many games they play), I think Louisville drops to #4.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: