RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 CT @ #14 CAL 12.22.18 3p PAC12 Network
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/22/18 8:49 am    ::: #1 CT @ #14 CAL 12.22.18 3p PAC12 Network Reply Reply with quote

Haas Pavilion
Berkeley, CA

UConn is 4-1 all-time against Cal and the Huskies have won the last four meetings. Last season, Connecticut beat California, 82-47, in Storrs. This is UConn's first trip to Berkeley since 1991.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/22/18 9:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From the boner:

"FuboTV has four tiers of pricing, plus additional channel packages that can be added for an extra fee, not unlike Sling TV. After a recent price hike, FuboTV’s standard package costs $44.99 a month, and a seven-day free trial. This package includes 85-plus channels, along with local channels in supported areas. You can find a list of areas where local channels are supported here."

PostPosted: 12/22/18 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A good test for Anigwe. In the Cal games I've seen this season, she struggled to score efficiently when facing multiple defenders. While that sounds obvious, in the past Kristine was able to toss up acrobatic shots that went in, but they don't seem to be falling as much this year. Anigwe displays awareness of footwork, but she hasn't mastered it like Gustafson. After all her pivoting and step-throughs, Kristine still ends up forcing off-balance shots. Consequently, she misses a lot of bunnies. Cal isn't a great outside shooting team (5.33 3pt per game @30%), so I expect Geno to either send help or simply pack the paint to begin with. If he goes with single coverage, I think Kristine will kill Collier down low because she's bigger and just as athletic (if not more) than Napheesa. And Anigwe's skills that aren't good enough against double-teams will likely be very effective against a single defender. On the other end of the court, Anigwe is a very "handsy" defender. Collier could probably get her in foul trouble by constantly driving to the hoop.

Gustafson passed her test against Notre Dame with flying colors despite a blowout loss. I don't expect this game to be close. UConn wil be motivated after their lackluster performance against Oklahoma. So, let's see if Anigwe can still perform well even if her team struggles.

PostPosted: 12/22/18 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game should be on this free streaming link:

http://oklivetv.com/pac-12-bay-area-live/

UConn would be toughened by two or three losses before the NCAA tourney, and this game would be a good opportunity for such a virtue.
calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/22/18 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
A good test for Anigwe. In the Cal games I've seen this season, she struggled to score efficiently when facing multiple defenders. While that sounds obvious, in the past Kristine was able to toss up acrobatic shots that went in, but they don't seem to be falling as much this year. Anigwe displays awareness of footwork, but she hasn't mastered it like Gustafson. After all her pivoting and step-throughs, Kristine still ends up forcing off-balance shots. Consequently, she misses a lot of bunnies. Cal isn't a great outside shooting team (5.33 3pt per game @30%), so I expect Geno to either send help or simply pack the paint to begin with. If he goes with single coverage, I think Kristine will kill Collier down low because she's bigger and just as athletic (if not more) than Napheesa. And Anigwe's skills that aren't good enough against double-teams will likely be very effective against a single defender. On the other end of the court, Anigwe is a very "handsy" defender. Collier could probably get her in foul trouble by constantly driving to the hoop.

Gustafson passed her test against Notre Dame with flying colors despite a blowout loss. I don't expect this game to be close. UConn wil be motivated after their lackluster performance against Oklahoma. So, let's see if Anigwe can still perform well even if her team struggles.

I agree with your observations but there is another important factor. Anigwe has had problems with foul trouble. She can pick up some dumb fouls on both ends of the court. This is particularly important because there is very little bench support. Her backup, CJ West, has improved but is not too mobile. At times Cal has played the two together to protect Anigwe on the defensive end, but their starting lineup has generally been 4 guards and Anigwe. The only other interior player that sees significant action is Alaysia Styles. Cal will have to find a way for Anigwe to stay on the court.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/22/18 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal came to play the first 5 mins. Keeping a close eye on Anigwe vs Collier. Anigwe seems to be more mobile and agile versus say "Brianna Turner" . Where has Dangerfields shot disappeared to? She needs to hit shots

PostPosted: 12/22/18 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal stayed close in 1Q with statistically anomalous arc heaving.
toad455

PostPosted: 12/22/18 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So is Cal going to live and die on the 3 this game?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/22/18 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
So is Cal going to live and die on the 3 this game?

Anigwe gets rebound 1000 then comes down and airballs a 3. You may be right toad. They wil die lol

PostPosted: 12/22/18 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does Cal normally hit 3's at this rate? Maybe Caldwell but Anigwe is going to have to establish herself on the block. Shes hesitating agianst Collier not sure why. Anigwe is quicker to the rim she needs to relax and keep attacking the rim. Collier needs to be the only NPOY candidate from this team. She does it all and im not even a UCONN fan i just love her willingness to do whatever the team needs to win.

PostPosted: 12/22/18 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal came into the game averaging five 3's per game on 30% shooting. They were 8-16 50% through the middle of the 2nd Qtr, so very uncharacteristic.

Anigwe is just missing easy bunnies against single coverage. Yes, she needs to relax.

PostPosted: 12/22/18 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And again, Geno didn't use his bench AT ALL in the first half.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/22/18 4:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Cal's defense usually this bad?

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/22/18 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Is Cal's defense usually this bad?

pretty much. but like most teams, it's better when they're not playing #1.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/22/18 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oklahoma's defense looked better than Cal's.

Sad that Geno uses no bench at all in a meaningless OOC game, when he'll need those players if there's even one injury or foul problem in an important game, and when he'll need them next season.
RavenDog

PostPosted: 12/22/18 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Asshole ran off all he bigs. No National Championship this year for Geno-cide.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/22/18 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno ain't winning a title without using his bench.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/22/18 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, Cal made it respectable.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 12/22/18 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Oklahoma's defense looked better than Cal's.

Sad that Geno uses no bench at all in a meaningless OOC game, when he'll need those players if there's even one injury or foul problem in an important game, and when he'll need them next season.

Meaningless? As opposed to all those meaningful conference games?

linkster

PostPosted: 12/22/18 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
The Asshole ran off all he bigs. No National Championship this year for Geno-cide.

Can you list at least a couple of the bigs he ran off?

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 12/22/18 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another tough win for UConn. Hopefully these will help later on.

I’ve seen a bunch of PAC 12 teams this week and this conference should easily be the most competitive. I expect Oregon, Stanford and Oregon State to be top three, but ASU and Cal will be right there. UCLA, Utah, and USC will probably pull a few upsets as well.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/22/18 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very proud of the Golden Bears. They competed to the final minute, showed they could hit 3's...They may not be the 13 or 14 team in the nation, but they are a top 25 team. The Bears won't win the Pac-12, but they could win any game. I expect them to finish 5th at 10-8, probably not enough to host, but perhaps a 6 seed.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/22/18 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
Another tough win for UConn. Hopefully these will help later on.

I’ve seen a bunch of PAC 12 teams this week and this conference should easily be the most competitive. I expect Oregon, Stanford and Oregon State to be top three, but ASU and Cal will be right there. UCLA, Utah, and USC will probably pull a few upsets as well.

Don't sleep on Colorado either, particularly up in Boulder. Arizona should improve through the season. Only the Washington schools seem noncompetitive.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/22/18 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal has come a long way from the team that beat Houston at home by one stinking point.

I have to question Samuelson and Collier playing too much 2 man. On several in-bounds passes KLS ignored her open guards to force a pass to Collier. It reminds me of how Dolson only in-bounded to Hartley in tight games. Diggins saw that and it cost UConn a couple of wins against Notre Dame.

Samuelson isn't a good enough ball handler to be playing keep away, especially with to great guards that do it so much better.. She will cost UConn a game if Geno lets her continue playing like that. I wish she would spend more practice time on layups and bunny shots.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/22/18 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Geno ain't winning a title without using his bench.

Last year Notre Dame won the title using one bench player, Nelson in the Final four. She scored 4 points total in the 2 games and IMO only played because Sheppard was gassed and needed a rest.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: