RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

MissSt@TX, UConn@ND, Tenn@OkSt, Baylor@SCar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/30/18 2:07 pm    ::: MissSt@TX, UConn@ND, Tenn@OkSt, Baylor@SCar Reply Reply with quote

This Sunday is the first big day of reckoning in WBB this season. There are some other good games too, like Michigan@Marquette, but the four above are the marquis games that will start to shake out the top of the rankings.

So, who do you think is going to win?

And when a #1 and #2 meet, assuming a single digit outcome, where should the loser be ranked next week?

Coyotes

PostPosted: 11/30/18 2:16 pm    ::: Re: MissSt@TX, UConn@ND, Tenn@OkSt, Baylor@SCar Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
This Sunday is the first big day of reckoning in WBB this season. There are some other good games too, like Michigan@Marquette, but the four above are the marquis games that will start to shake out the top of the rankings.

And when a #1 and #2 meet, assuming a single digit outcome, where should the loser be ranked next week?

I suppose these games will distinguish the noblemen from the counts and the rest of the pack.

On the other hand, these marquee games will be fun to watch. Laughing

There are some other great ones a tier below, such as Gonzaga-Stanford, Colorado-Miami and Nebraska-Creighton.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/30/18 2:22 pm    ::: Re: MissSt@TX, UConn@ND, Tenn@OkSt, Baylor@SCar Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I suppose these games will distinguish the noblemen from the counts and the rest of the pack.

On the other hand, these marquee games will be fun to watch. Laughing

There are some other great ones a tier below, such as Gonzaga-Stanford, Colorado-Miami and Nebraska-Creighton.

I missed Gonzaga-Stanford. That could be very good.
On the other hand I've watched both Creighton and Nebraska, and neither looks very good to me.

And I never have been a decent speller. Very Happy

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/30/18 3:45 pm    ::: Re: MissSt@TX, UConn@ND, Tenn@OkSt, Baylor@SCar Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

I think it depends on the specific number of a single-digit outcome (1? 9?) and how the final margin was determined.

Case in point...

Duke lost to UConn in the 2018 Sweet 16, 72-59. Coach P was told it was her best margin against UConn (she is 0-9 against UConn while at Duke), which is something she openly discussed with others (and used it to indicate what she had done with this year's team and how much they had improved).

UConn led 40-20 at the half and 51-31 at the end of the third quarter. And UConn led the game by 23 points with 4:43 to go and by 22 points with 2:37 to go. Duke outscored UConn (and Duke was clearly pushing pace and pressing to get turnovers at this time) 11-2 in the final 2:37.

A margin of 13 points looks very different if a team is only down 8 points in the final two minutes, fouls the opposition to get the ball back, but the opposition makes free throws and the team does not make shots. And it looks very different when the margin is 22 points with two and a half minutes to go to cut it to 13.

Getting back to Notre Dame vs. UConn, it honestly depends on the margin of the single-digit score and how the margin was obtained. If ND wins by 8 points, but led by 2 points with 1:30 to, only to make its free throws and for UConn to miss shots, then I might not drop UConn from #2 at all, given the fact that the game was played at Notre Dame.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/30/18 5:18 pm    ::: Re: MissSt@TX, UConn@ND, Tenn@OkSt, Baylor@SCar Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

If they play a close game, I can't imagine that I would think Oregon is better than either ND or UConn, regardless of which one loses.

Voters might disagree, but voters probably aren't paying attention.

taropatch

PostPosted: 11/30/18 7:40 pm    ::: Re: MissSt@TX, UConn@ND, Tenn@OkSt, Baylor@SCar Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

Last question first; a no brainer -- #2

Good chance for South Carolina to get out of their funky start and get a W against a Baylor team, weak at the PG position. Brown has been less than spectacular lately but Dawn's squad will have to deal with Cox who has been playing well along side the diaper dandy, Nalyssa Smith.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/30/18 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vic and MCCowan this far have had a tea party in 2018 feasting on cupcakes. But Texas, even a battered Texas, still has the size to contend with Mississippi State. Wouldn't at all be surprised to see Te get off to a slow start. The focus will be stopping each opponents post game.

This is a game where players like Williams (Texas) or Danbury ( Mississippi State) will make a difference. Dani Williams can flat out shoot but Jordan Danbury is excellent at getting to her spot. I could see those kids deciding the game

Vic has used his weak schedule to get his bench valuable experience. I think it unlikely he goes deeply into his bench for this game. But he can if he needs too which is a luxury Aston doesn't have. Ultimatey, I think Mississippi State is just too experienced to fall in this game with 4 seniors in the starting lineup. But it could be close.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 12/02/18 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there a UConn-ND game thread?

PostPosted: 12/02/18 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never mind found it.

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND lost by 18. Do they only drop to #2? (UConn led by 6 heading into the 4th, but the wheels fell off for the Irish.)

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
ND lost by 18. Do they only drop to #2? (UConn led by 6 heading into the 4th, but the wheels fell off for the Irish.)

To me, nobody at #3 and below have shown to they deserve to be ranked ahead of Notre Dame (they barely won games or haven't played any top teams yet).

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/03/18 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why isn't this thread in the Games forum?

PostPosted: 12/03/18 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Why isn't this thread in the Games forum?

Because it isn't about a specific game.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/03/18 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SEC--Big 12 Challenge

SEC won 5 games
Big 12 won 5 games

Tennessee 76 Okla St 63
Miss St 67 Texas 49
Baylor 94 SC 69
Iowa St. 91 Arkansas 82
Florida 72 Texas Tech 67
Kansas St 72 Vandy 61
Auburn 95 Oklahoma 79
Missouri 68 W. Va 51
Kansas 68 LSU 61
TCU 55 Ole Miss 50

Any pithy analysis eludes me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: