RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn @ Notre Dame, 12/2/18
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/02/18 6:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to UConn. They won the game and the youngsters played great, especially Chrystyn. UConn's one-oerson recruiting class will not hurt them at all, as they have so much talent returning after this season.

Notre Dame did not execute in the second half. The third quarter is usually Notre Dame's, but that was certainly NOT the case today. UConn won the 3rd and then significantly extended the lead in the 4th. The Irish should have been the team with composure (given their experience) but they "did not comport themselves well'.

The announcers were abysmal. Was the game really that boring that you couldn't pay attention as UConn pulled away? I wanted some clarity on the calls on the floor, but got nothing. And would it hurt to show more replays of foul calls? Watching the game was frustrating for Irish fans in many ways, but it was probably frustrating for all fans that the game ceased to be interesting for these announcers.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/02/18 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
LMAO Moaning Muffet and Moaning Mabrey and NOW Moaning ogunnerbowale couldn't win with some homer calls on their own floor.

Uconn just showed that you cannot leave any of their players open and go double, it will be much harder to beat them, especially if that other freshman big can give some minutes as they looked better with Collier on the bench as she clogs the paint up and thats when they made their run.

Classy as always. Smile So nice to have you on the boards!

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 12/02/18 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Congrats to UConn. They won the game and the youngsters played great, especially Chrystyn. UConn's one-oerson recruiting class will not hurt them at all, as they have so much talent returning after this season.

Notre Dame did not execute in the second half. The third quarter is usually Notre Dame's, but that was certainly NOT the case today. UConn won the 3rd and then significantly extended the lead in the 4th. The Irish should have been the team with composure (given their experience) but they "did not comport themselves well'.

The announcers were abysmal. Was the game really that boring that you couldn't pay attention as UConn pulled away? I wanted some clarity on the calls on the floor, but got nothing. And would it hurt to show more replays of foul calls? Watching the game was frustrating for Irish fans in many ways, but it was probably frustrating for all fans that the game ceased to be interesting for these announcers.

Totally agree with everything you said. I feel like the announcers never outlined what the officials were reviewing until the decision on what was reviewing was decided, so it wasn’t too helpful.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/02/18 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does this mean UCONN is bad for WCB again? Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: 12/02/18 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ogunbolwale is quoted on the Irish board saying, about her encounter with Geno which resulted in her getting T'd up:

Quote:
"He said some words, and I said something bad. As a senior leader I can't let that happen."

The Irish looked like they were the team on the road.

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the 2016-2017 season, we played a game at Nebraska in December. I can't believe how much weight Shepard has lost since that game. Good for her.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I'll just blame this on the refs.

What the hell. UConn fans have done it every game they've lost for two decades, I guess I can do it too.

Even boners don't blame 18-pt losses, at home, on the refs.

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the Christyn Williams I have seen play. Give me the damn ball and get out of the way. The the bigger the game, the more the pressure, the more she thrives. Respect to the Irish as I do not believe in anyway this is indicative as to who they are. The victory is all the more sweet when you beat your most worthy opponent and that is exactly what ND is this year our most worthy opponent as they always have been. See you all in March as the young season is just beginning and I am sure a lot will change between now and Tampa.

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 12/02/18 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikeyc22

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yea I was about to ask about the Arike tech. Apparently it was for words at Geno and not at a referee.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

What the hell. UConn fans have done it every game they've lost for two decades, I guess I can do it too.

I don't think they can because when that happens, they become speechless as in catatonic.

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, congratulations to UConn. I definitely didn't expect this kind of a game. Williams was amazing and definitely didn't play like a freshman in her first road game (even as a #1 recruit. Most #1 recruits don't play like that as freshmen in their first tough road game). Much like last year's "We'll make Young beat us" strategy for UConn, ND took the "We'll make Williams beat us" strategy and in both cases it bit the team in the butt.

Every time ND was making it close, UConn would respond with a basket, and a lot of their shots weren't so much ND not defending them well as much as UConn just making a great play over a tough defense. Some of the baskets were ND defensive breakdowns, but many of them were just great plays.

While not prolific, UConn's 3 point shooting was better than ND and played a key role in the game, as did rebounding (which I didn't expect).

But this gives ND stuff to work on.

First, free throws! ND missed 8 FTs. Before UConn pulled away, ND's FT misses were largely the difference in the game.

Don't just stand around on offense. The offense didn't have nearly the motion it used to. Plus we seemed to get too much of a return to the "Just get the ball into Turner in the post!" offense.

Need to work more on tightening up the defense, too (Mabrey's not quite in playing shape yet from her injury, so time should help a little here).

Ogunbowale has to stop doing stupid things in the 2nd half. a senior should know better than to give them those extra free throws.

Tally24

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per an account on Twitter, Arike told Geno to “shut the f up”
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Actually they do. Or they would if they had one.

This time they were already blaming the refs all this past week before the game was even played.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

I hope you didn't get that from my post.

I thought UConn played exceptionally well, and their play was great for WCB. Sorry for sounding bitter. I hope ND learns from this game and uses the way they feel right now when they see UConn again in the NCAA's. The Irish have a lot of work to do, but UConn played great.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:

Classy.

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can we talk about the strong arm that Arike gave Crystal with 3:26 left in the game? This was the first time she did it, it was worse than the second time that she got called for it and it was in front of the official who had already T'd her up. How did that not get called? She was clearly frustrated and I don't think of her as usually chippy or dirty, but that was a cheap shot.

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

Classy.
She apologized and took full responsibility for it. She would not be the first player or coach dropping the F bomb as I remember one young Diana Taurasi dropping it at a game I attended.

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

Classy.
She apologized and took full responsibility for it. She would not be the first player or coach dropping the F bomb as I remember one young Diana Taurasi dropping it at a game I attended.

I don't mind that she did it. It's passion and the heat of the moment. It's not a good look for her, but who cares. I tell people to "f off" on the regular if they piss me off...hhaaaa

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Actually they do. Or they would if they had one.

This time they were already blaming the refs all this past week before the game was even played.

Whatever you say, Art . Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

Classy.

Maybe she'll get a spot on The Voice?

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

Classy.

I don't mind that she did it. It's passion and the heat of the moment. It's not a good look for her, but who cares. I tell people to "f off" on the regular if they piss me off...hhaaaa

nah. not to a coach, you punk! Very Happy

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

I hope you didn't get that from my post.

I thought UConn played exceptionally well, and their play was great for WCB. Sorry for sounding bitter. I hope ND learns from this game and uses the way they feel right now when they see UConn again in the NCAA's. The Irish have a lot of work to do, but UConn played great.

not at all.

PostPosted: 12/02/18 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Can we talk about the strong arm that Arike gave Crystal with 3:26 left in the game? This was the first time she did it, it was worse than the second time that she got called for it and it was in front of the official who had already T'd her up. How did that not get called? She was clearly frustrated and I don't think of her as usually chippy or dirty, but that was a cheap shot.

THIS. CD was in her grill all day long, and she got frustrated and handled it very poorly. It was straight dirty how she basically tried to behead Crystal TWICE.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 12/02/18 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Acsuc99 says,

I let out some Woah Ho Ho's on Little Rock's performance! What a performance and what a SOUTHERN DOLL.

And thank God Christyn was on her game early because our experience players looked spooked.

ONO gave some great minutes off the bench and held her own against ND's bigs.

Meg and Collier rock solid. Impressed we built the lead with Collier on bench.

Samuelson was good in 2nd half...terrible 1st half. Tries to do too much! And what was up with her acting all dramatic over the unintentional elbow 1st half? Boners would hammer an opposing player for doing that.

Jackie Young and Jess Shepherd very good for ND. Arike hits some good shots too but seemed to forced some. Mabrey still working her way back. ND wore down as the game went on. UConn seems better conditioned this early in the season. The Muff will get them better by March.

Started to get chippy! LOL At Geno vs Arike.

I must say, i am surprised by this result! Pleasantly. I do hope Baylor or Louisville beat us. I don't want to go in undefeated again.

Last edited by acsuc99 on 12/02/18 8:31 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: